Is Varg the world's last Viking?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Clontarf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olaf_II_of_Norway
celticwebmerchant.com/en/germanic-helmet-with-cheek-flaps.html
burzum.org/eng/library/2012_interview_rockoverdose.shtml
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

He's the world's first Vikang.

Varg was never a "viking". he is just a delusional fantasist who is utterly ignorant of the reality of the history of the cultures he imagines himself to be of.

you do know that the "vikings" owned most of england, scotland, irland and other parts of the world around them. you cant be a shit fighter and do that.

you can if you kill women and children, then entrench before the army shows up, then get btfo

Who's inlets does he frequent?

>butthurt anglosaxon can't handle the truth
kek

>ear flaps
>cape style chain mail
>viking
Yeah m8, try migration era iron age, about 400 years early. this nigga ant no viking

ok so you kill women and childern then entrench before the army shows up. if that was the case there would be hardly anyone left in the lands the took over. even if they are entrench in a town i would assume just starve them out. you cant take over all the land they did by killing women and children and running away

man they just walked in and took farmland in small roving bands, at any real battle they got BTFO by nonsense battle tactics combined with the whole King fights in the middle of the formation thing. And the houscarls only number in like 30-40 and they only took to the field with the king, who had to fight in the meanest part or every one else would just run away. they are the masters of running away.

That famous battle at Dublin saw every single king in that fight die, leaving the one guy who hide in the castle to ultimately kinda just win by default.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Clontarf

>People taking seriously op saying that the most legendary black metal musician just disguised as a viking warior is the last viking

but they did, user. most of the time they fled back to faggit land to build more boats.

> if that was the case there would be hardly anyone left in the lands the took over

do you understand what "control" meant back then? there was one town that acted as a hub for the surrounding area, so if you took that town you were effectively "in control" of that whole area. do you really think that in order to have control of thousands of miles required you to go house to house and dominate each person?

>even if they are entrench in a town i would assume just starve them out

its called siege warfare, so yeah.

>you cant take over all the land they did by killing women and children and running away

they didn't stay most of the time. and a lot of the territory they held came from alliances and deals they made with local leaders. you know, to get them to stop murdering women and children up and down the coast.

Vikings been fighting the Vatican for ages. He probably is the last. They want to worship Thor and Vatican wants then to worship Jesus. Can't blame him. Maybe more churches need to burn more often.

again if that was the case they would not of controled near all of the british isles. you point out one battle mabye a hand full but that clearly was not always the case. they owned near all the major citys in the british isles.

>we wuz VIKANGZ n' shit

yes, good goy! burn more churches!

OC

>not understanding that over 50% of vikings were followers of White Christ.
Red Thor fell out of favor for a reason, White Christ is one bad motherfucker, and the early missionarys had a super easy time converting them once the started telling them about the old testament.

the big line that went over well was surprisingly 'turn the other cheek', Thor would strike the man dead for a slap, because he is a coward that he couldn't take another free hit, Jesus had no fear of what any mortal man may do to him. also how Jesus bound himself to the cross also had parallels to odins sacrifice. the truth is that viking LOVED Christianity and converted with out bloodshed, there are all sorts of cool corespondance between missionary at the time talking about how easy it is.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olaf_II_of_Norway
this nigga just told Iceland to be Christians, and they did, poof, done deal.

they did feld when they first stared raiding. if you look back in history they has hardly ever been open battles no one will fight if they think they will lose so pulling back if not that crazy of a thing i mean just look at caesar and pompey . your telling me that these people who have been killing women and children are so weak they will never fight or if they do they lose yet istead of kill these men who have been kill woemn and children they would ok haveing them rule over them. i dont think many people would be ok with that.

nigga 6,000 vikings on the field is the single biggest battle they ever had, and the fact that they went Gaelic so quick because of how badly EVERYone suffererd from it had huge long lasting results of irland basically staying Gaelic.

All it took was Scandinavian immigrants finally getting access to farm land and within a few generations, they sorta just gave up on their individual cultures and assimilating with the natives. they have a whole category for those types called, second generation vikings, the Normands are the most famous of them. technically they were from Scandinavia, but they weren't even necessarily pagans. it was honestly an even split, but the pegans just adapted within a few generations of living next to Christians. The Icelandic basically said, sure you can be pagan, but don't do it in public, and guess what? almost all of them just converted.

yes

google translate is not your friend.

go back to sucking refugee dick, you swede

I think Burzum is a pretty cool guy. eh kills churches and doesn’t afraid of anything.

not swede i am a irish travellers. just have dyslexia

dont see how pagen coverting has anything to do with it. all the pagen in rome coverted most in europe did. so they took over all when they did with 6,000 being the biggest battle they had. they must be just they good at conquering land then.

Looks like Varg is dressed more like an early Germanic noble, with Gallo-Roman Wars era mail armor, that was still used until around 150-200 AD. The only problem is that his armor style is anachronistic to his later era choice of helmet, from circa 500 AD. He bought it at the Celtic Web Merchant online store for ancient and medieval reenactors:

celticwebmerchant.com/en/germanic-helmet-with-cheek-flaps.html

>Irish traveler
I get it now, you think that YOU are from viking stock and that the Gaelic are some how bad, and because YOU are a viking that makes you better then them. Read a book about the vikings in Ireland m8, they went native and "controlled' Ireland the same way the Irish did. with clan politics, alot of vikings even intermarried and became basically Gallic clans themself.

Strangely, Varg expressed his disdain for Skyrim, a game trying to expose more people to Viking culture. Why is that?

Well I was pretty close, those ear flaps were pretty popular with the early Anglo types, who were from like Austria during the migration period. I assumed his chain mail was on purpose, picking a sorta Celtic flavor of that post roman era. for a sorta proto anglo saxon - pre viking kinda vibe.

>I'm pretty sure that he is just playing dress up, his spear looks like a greek type leaf, and not a viking style one.

hey hold on they man. no i dont think i am from viking stock at all. why would i? i just think viking are shat on and that people dont give them enough credit for what they managed to do .

skyrim does a bad job at expressing nordic culture

How? I thought it looked decent in getting the atmosphere of medieval Scandinavia. Of course it was filled with inaccuracies, with things specific to Elder Scrolls lore and not real historical accuracy, but it looked recognizably Norse influenced.

yeah it not too bad. but if you dont know what is true nordic culture and just made up it will lead to people getting the wrong ideas about it.

Here is the interview where Varg explains his gear; the helmet, the armor, etc.

burzum.org/eng/library/2012_interview_rockoverdose.shtml

>Varg says "Well... It is actually not a Viking Warrior. The armour and perhaps even the helmet on those photos would have been anachronisms even in the Viking Age, as they belong in the Classical Antiquity (and up to the beginning of the Viking Age for the helmet). It's a Northern European Warrior from late Classical Antiquity, wearing blue clothes (id est the Pagan colour), fighting or preparing to fight the Christian Jew-lackeys of the Roman Empire."

So I guess Varg was going for the look of a pre-Viking Scandinavian warrior, then. Still, honorary Viking? The guy burned down a church and murdered a man... a Viking isn't a good thing to be, either. The Norse people weren't all Vikings, though. That's like calling all Englishmen, Frenchmen, and Spaniards in the Caribbean during the Age of Exploration Pirates.

Literally the reason we know anything about Norse mythology and the vikings as a whole is that Christian monks had written language.

Consider that your concept of "norse" comes from the same kinda media that you are taking in playing Skryim

The winner of wars writes the history books. Even the Jews write the date 2017 on their checks. Don't be so naive user.

True, to the victors the spoils of war.