SUPER BOWL LI SERIOUS DISCUSSION THREAD

No Memeposting, just serious discussion.

Was it more of a patriots comeback or a Falcons choke?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=c9cUytejf1k
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Fixed for ratings

Eli Manning > Tom Brady

>Was it more of a patriots comeback or a Falcons choke?
Both.
You can't discredit the Pats O line and Brady, but at the same time blowing such a lead in such a big stage is simply unprofessional.

However, leave Ryan out of this. His offense played a great game. It was his D that choked it.

>Did the patriots win or did the falcons lose

>LI
Patriots win

>L
Broncos won

>XLIX
Seahawks lost

>XLVIII
Seahawks won

>XLVII
Ravens won

>XLVI
Patriots lost

Both needed to happen
Pats played fantastic last ~20 minutes
Falcons played bad, took decisions which enabled the Patriots

Both

>D choked it
The D shit down Brady for 3 quarter and was out ther for a fuckig eternity all the offense had to do was get one fucking field goal and they would have won the game. I blame the coaching meltdown more than anything else but Ryan has to have the fucking awareness to try and throw the ball away instead of taking all those huge sacks

Full team effort on the comeback to. Offense moved the ball and controlled the clock extremely well( it was nearly a 2 to 1 ratio on possession) but didn't finish drives in the first half. Defense would bend but wouldn't break. Can't really blame them for the turnover points. Only part of the game I thought was choking on falcons was trying to work the middle of the field on their last drivewithout any timeouts. That made 0 sense to me

Id say it was a patriots comeback.

The Patriots have a long history of, and are notorious for coming back from behind.

i wouldnt call it a falcons choke because the patriots still had to struggle to make that comeback

you can't have one without the other.

patriots made a shit-ton of huge plays in the final 20 minutes. falcons made a handful of big mistakes that enabled the pats to make that shit-ton of plays.

Patriots comeback

there weren't a crazy amount of meme turnovers and plays, just a few really key moments where the Patriots executed and Brady turning it on for a full half

Can't it away from the pats. They showed what it means to be professional and play all 4 quarters. That being said the Falcons utterly collapsed and really just needed one field goal in the entire second half. It came down to coaching, and belicheck proved once again he is the best

A few notes. Chime in if you agree/disagree

>On the game in Super Bowl History
One of the greatest. All the pats games are, win or lose. One of the reason the patriots are so likable is that they always fught for the win. They never look like they're an exceedingly dominant team in any super bowl. They never blow people out. It actually always looks in some ways like they're the underdog, with the exception of the two where they list. I would say this owl ranks easily in the top 10, but the first half is too boring to make it a guaranteed top 5 spot. Yeah, the first OT ever is neat, but there will be others.

>On the comeback
Equal parts Pats comeback and Failcons choke. It took Bill 3 quarters but he figured them out. That's why he's the greatest coach of all time. Nobody else could have done that. At the same time, blowing 25 points to ANYONE is simply unacceptable. They were clearly trying to run down the clock time as if they had won already. Quinn gambled and fucked up.

>On the coin toss
I'll be the first to admit I hate the overtime rules, but let's be honest here: the falcons blew a 25 point lead in 17 minutes. There wouldn't have even been an overtime if Gostowski had made that PAT earlier.

>On Brady
Look, I'm a Pats fan since birth. Superbowl 36 will always be my favorite because of the 9/11 theme and I'll always remember being at the parade.
I'll be the first to say that Brady gets way too much credit at the expense of the rest of the team. There have been, currently are, and will be more athletically capable QBs to play the game. He was a 6th round pick for a reason. But c'mon now, he threw for almost 500 yards in the biggest SB comeback ever. Not many QBs could do that. So while he may not be the most talented ever, he certainly is the most successful ever, and that's the metric that matters most. Obviously Billachek is the single biggest asset to the team, but Brady is much more than just a meme QB.

Any webms from the game?

Fuck off reddit

No, the Falcons clearly lost this game.

Anyone else think the final play was a bit underwhelming?

SB50 can be disputed because of $cam playing like total overrated dogshit, but this is spot on

quality post friend

This is probably the fairest assesement of Brady Iv'e ever read on this board.
He's like the master chief. He's not the strongest spartan, the fastest spartan, even the bravest soartan, but he's the luckiest and thereforst the best. And he only works with the best.
Play Halo before you consider that a criticism, because I assure you it's not.

Well if he had made the PAT, they wouldn't have gone for the second 2 pt. However if the refs didn't give the Falcons a free point with that bad call AND he didn't miss the initial PAT, who knows.

There was also a bullshit call against the pats special teams when they blocked the falcons PAT

Master chef is the best because he's the only one who's still alive basically

>not many qbs could throw for 442 yards, 2 tds and 1 int on 62 attempts
>Favre is better than Marino cause he has a ring
>one half of the Falcons blowing out the Pats followed by a huge choke and the Pats blowing out the Falcons makes it a top 10 owl

Q U A L I T Y

It's both. The Pats did exactly what was required of them to win, and the Falcons made costly mistakes that kept them from closing the game out.

will niggers ever recover?

I thought I was being pretty fair with my Brady assesement.

He has had a better career than any other QB. I don't see how that's disputable. A lot of that is because he's been playing with the best coach and great team mates that play for the team, not themselves.
I pretty clearly said that there are more athletically talented QBs. Yes, I think Manning is better in that regard. His playstyle and stats show for it, but this isn't a one man game, it's a team game, and Brady leads the best team ever.

You can't leave Ryan out of this. If he doesn't take that stupid sack that knocked them out of FG range the Falcons are almost assured the win, barring something absolutely flukey. It's not all him, but he played his part in their collapse by making some very costly mistakes.

>One of the reason the patriots are so likable
>the patriots are so likable

Then why does seemingly the entire planet hate them?

He outplayed Tom for 3 quarters. What more do you want from him? His D needed to stop ONE of those Q4 pats drives or the Overtime drive.

why do they hate us so much?

>Then why does seemingly the entire planet hate them?
They don't.
The era of Pats hate is diminishing. We are seeing a new era where they are literally becoming America's team. Did you gear the noise in Houston. It must have been 70% pats fans.

>Tom Brady winning the Super Bowl is white supremacy

So Matt Ryan winning it would have been equality?

>it's a team game
>Brady leads the best team ever

Yeah except for the fact that Brady has NEVER been the best player in the Super Bowl. Brady has inferior career stats compared to Manning or even Montana when taking era into account. Brady is top 5 arguably, top 10 definitely, but if you watch football and actually consider rings when you rate players you have brain problems.

What part of "Both teams are owned by Jews and feature dozens of black players" don't these people understand. White-supremacists are not jazzed up....
wait, I just answered my question. Trump supporters are jazzed up about this win, and these goons think being a fan of trump is equivalent to being a white supremacist.

Thanks Cortana.

Any comeback requires mistakes on the other teams part.

its literally a chicken and egg question

Jealousy. we are constantly proving the fact they are subhuman and inferior and it angers them to no end

Well obviously it was both, but we saw the greatest 4th quarter by a QB in the super bowl of all time

What do I want from him? To be aware of the situation and not take costly and stupid sacks. Like I said it wasn't all him, but you can't objectively claim he is without blame.

Does anyone else feel like the Bill/Brady Patriots franchise is like Dragonball Z split up into different arcs?
Or maybe like Rocky movies?
The first arc is the dynasty arc, the battles against the various big franchise teams to cut a name for themself.

The second arc is marked by a decade of struggle and doubt, as they struggle to hold on to greatness but consistantly come just short due to teams like the Ravens and Manning Brothers. The arc closes with the win against the seahawks, a new up and coming team fighting to be the next true dynasty since the early 2000s patriots.

The third arc has just opened. It is the era of Patriots dominance, where they have moved on past Earth and are taking on the strongest fighters in the universe, such as the falcons.

Can someone explain what she meant by divisive performance?

I just watched this
youtube.com/watch?v=c9cUytejf1k
and saw nothing controversial, what am I missing

really sparks my neurons

Can't wait for the coming civil war, whites will win again!

I'd say a Falcons choke because after the Jone's catch in their second last drive, they should have been able to run the ball and take the FG and make it a two possession game.

I think the Seahawks loss against the Pats was much less of a choke as at least there was some rationale to go for the pass and then two rushes but it was just broken up by a strong play.

Obviously though, if the Patriots' receivers didn't get their shit together in the second half it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

He's a homosexual so he's lower on the privilege scale

>Yeah except for the fact that Brady has NEVER been the best player in the Super Bowl.
I agree. But the QB doesn't need to dominate the game to do his job. His job is to control the offense and make plays. Brady does that good enough to consistantly lead his team to victory unlike anyone else. No, he's not Manning or Rodgers. But he's a playmaker. That's all he needs to be.
>Brady has inferior career stats compared to Manning or even Montana when taking era into account. Brady is top 5 arguably, top 10 definitely, but if you watch football and actually consider rings when you rate players you have brain problems.
Again, I agree. Rings are a bad metric for individuals. But as a TEAM PLAYER, I don't see how Brady isn't the GOAT.

Does that make sense? I'm trying to be fair here.

The Falcons choked. Their offense was the top ranked offense in the NFL. They score on over 50% of their possessions. I'm not sure how much times they got the ball after their last td with 9 minutes left in the 3rd but it was at LEAST 4 (probably 5 or 6) and in those 4 possessions the best offensive team in the NFL couldn't score even 3 points? The Pats did an amazing job but the Falcons choked.

After the half, Falcons could have run the ball to run down the clock. But they kept throwing and throwing and losing and losing

21st century pats are the best organization ever.
Bill is the besy coach ever.
Brady is the best team player QB ever.

He was last night

And if you don't factor in rings you have brain problems, winning is the most important thing and he's done it as many times as most teams. But if that "doesnt mean anything", he also has the best winning percentage, 2nd best qbr all time and pretty much every record a qb can have in the playoffs (pretty much anything that begins with "most" belongs to brady)

>One of the greatest.

Not really. The game was completely one sided during both teams successful parts of the game. The Falcons blowing out the Pats wasn't that fun to watch and the Falcons choking away what should've been a guaranteed win wasn't fun either. Calling it Top Ten is still a bit of a stretch.

>There wouldn't have even been an overtime if Gostowski had made that PAT earlier.

This is objectively false. If he had made the extra point the pats would've never went for a second two point conversion.

Great game. Amazing game. Initially I wanted the Falcons to win, despite the fact I'm a Saints fan. But then when it became clear the Falcons might choke away the game, I jumped on the Pats bandwagon to enjoy some delicious Atlanta tears. Boy was it glorious.

And of course the Falcons choked more than the Pats came back. I mean, up 28-3 and lose? Holy shit.

>
>He was last night
Only 2 QBs played last night
>And if you don't factor in rings you have brain problems, winning is the most important thing and he's done it as many times as most teams.
Winning is a team effort.
>But if that "doesnt mean anything", he also has the best winning percentage, 2nd best qbr all time and pretty much every record a qb can have in the playoffs (pretty much anything that begins with "most" belongs to brady)
Well, most of that can be attributed to playing for so long, which is why Farve had so many records.
You can use rings as a metric, but ot's not an absolute metric.
Someone above pit it best. He's not the most athletically talented. He's simply notm he doesn't run fast enough, throw fast enough, make fast enough decisions, etc. You don't even need to look up stats, just watch the game and compare him to others.

BUT he's a phanominal team player, and that's all he needs to be. If anything, more physically talented QBs end up costing the team more than they help often.

>He's simply notm he doesn't run fast enough, throw fast enough, make fast enough decisions

are you seriously saying tom brady doesn't make fast decisions or "throw fast enough" (whatever that means)?

The Patriots won this, not the Falcons choking.

ATL had only 1 3rd down conversion. ONE.
ATL, #1 offense in the league, was held to 14 points without the turnovers
ATL was held to 350 yards of offense
ATL's MVP QB had 250 yards
ATL, after the 28-3 lead, was 3 and out every possession except for a 5 and out.possession.
ATL was held to 15 offensive plays in the 2nd half, and only 45 for the game. NE had 98.
NE had the ball for over 40 minutes.

The simple answer is BB did the same thing to ATL as he did to the Bills in 1990. Hold the ball, wear out your defense, pound you in the 4th when you pass rush is dead and you secondary gets slow.

In OT, their defense was so gassed that NE never had a 3rd down in a 75 yard drive.

Not him but they emasure QB throwing speed.
Crapernik ironically has one of the fastest arms. Wilson is up there too. Probably because he olayed baseball

Brady is great and so is Michael Jordan. But it's no coincidence they were coached by the GOATs. BB could have done this with Brees or Rodgers. That's my take at least.

he was the best player period, not just qbs. And ya if its a team effort why haven't any other teams done what he and the pats have done? and why has brady done it with like half a dozen different groups of core players?

>hes on the best because he's played long

jesus christ you're really reaching, again, why doesn't everyone else just dominate for 20 years? Longevity and consistency over 2 decades isn't easy. Im also pretty sure brady has the lowest time in the pocket out of any active qb, which means he's making a decision who to throw to faster than everyone else. He's also insanely accurate over 10-20 yards. but ya, just watch the game eh?

It was a choke, don't get it twisted. One or two more 3rd down conversions and it was over.

Criticize the falcons all you want but don't say they were trying to run the clock out lmfao

>Brady is great and so is Michael Jordan. But it's no coincidence they were coached by the GOATs. BB could have done this with Brees or Rodgers. That's my take at least.
Probably? But whatever. It's a team game.

>he was the best player period, not just qbs
No that was objectively White and Eddleman. Literally record setting.

This

Everyone also seems to have forgotten the defense holding after the failed onside kick

>Criticize the falcons all you want but don't say they were trying to run the clock out
They were. They were running it and slant passing witha whole quarter left. >lmfao

It's both.

Falcons had no answers for the Patriots come back.

They were sliced and diced the entire 2nd half

It makes a huge difference who's assembling the team though, wouldn't you say?

Falcons outperformed the pats in Q3.
It was a 1 quarter comeback really.

tom brady literally set records too

although I wouldn't argue this one too hard, they both also had incredible games and it could go to either and they'd deserve it

They scored 28, but 14 were off turnovers, including a pick 6.
Ryan had a high completion percentage, but his offense was shut down. 5 3 and outs in the second half?

Pats held the ball until ATL was too gassed to cover or rush the passer.

The defense held, but all the Falcons had to do was run the ball. The defense can't stop the clock, only the offense can do that.

>up 7
>on 20-yard-line
>4 minutes left
>throw twice
>penalty and sack
>forced to punt instead of FG attempt

That's a choke.

the falcons laid an egg...

they did not make changes as needed they flopped on clock management did not run the ball, you may as well have just said cool the pats are gonna win after all at the start of the 2nd

Very true but I think the coons will be back in the super bowl within the next 5 years. They have a good team and most of them are young. DQ will bring Atl it's first super bowl win mark my words

They only ran the ball 4 times after Pats missed the extra point.

Atlanta blew their proverbial load in the first half.

BTW, Lady Gagas performance was only shorter than the action in the game by less than 2 minutes.

This is a pretty decent assessment of brady, and i may have some level of bias being a pats fan, but what many people, including you seem to fail to factor in is his infallible competitive drive that only the greatest players in the history of sports possess. Michael Jordan had it, Tom Brady has it. He gets a lot of help from having belichick as coach, but in the end he's the one shredding that defense. I don't believe any other QB in the league could make that comeback under those circumstances, and that's why he is the greatest to ever do it.

Like the 1990 Bills SB. Thurman Thomas averaged 9 per carry, but the Bills kept passing, and wore out their own defense with 3 ans outs.

>implying being btfo like that last night won't ruin them
They're gonna be "rebuilding" for the next decade

I'm a Jets fan so there is some bias, but this is very true.

>7 step drop
Lets blame Ryan

No other quarterback could have led a comeback like that

yes the Falcons proved that Atlanta deserves 0 professional sports and shouldn't ever be in a championship again (t. person from Georgia), but it was also a testament to Brady and the Patriots because most other teams would've given up and played with a hazardous sense of urgency.

Brady stepped in and proved that he can come in and clutch even the most unwinnable of situations

Reminder Jim Kelly came back down 32 in the playoffs.

Don't pander to him, mate, it was horseshit.

Reading defenses, accuracy, quickness of release, not making stupid decisions, not staring at the rush, not staring down receivers, moving defenders around, getting into the best playcall - these are all QB talents.

QB talent is not about running fast, or being able to throw on the run. Those are nice, but this idea that Brady isn't "talented" as others is utter horseshit. Anyone attempting to denigrate Brady's "talent" is talking out of their bumhole.

Brady looked so fucking defeated during the 2nd quarter, it was like he had his life deflated right out of him. I would have put my life on the Falcons winning that game at that point. The second half came and it's like the Patriots took speed or something. They were beyond sharp.

Nah I think they're finally getting their shit together after years of "rebuilding" and constant injuries

>21ST CENTURY OWL RANKINGS
1. XLIX: Patriots beat Seahawks
2. XLIII: Steelers beat Cardinals
3. XLII: Giants beat Patriots 1
4. XXXVI: Patriots beat Rams
5. XLVII: Ravens beat 49ers
6. XXXVIII: Patriots beat Panthers
7. XXXIX: Patriots beat Eagles
8. XLVI: Giants beat Patriots 2
9. LI: Patriots beat Falcons
10. XLV: Packers beat Steelers
11. XLIV: Saints beat Colts
12. 50 (L): Broncos beat Panthers
13. XLVIII: Seahawks beat Broncos
14. XL: Steelers beat Seahawks
15. XLI: Colts beat Bears
16. XXXV: Ravens beat Giants
17. XXXVII: Buccaneers beat Raiders

Remember Cam giving up last year, down 10 or 12 points? Some qbs are weak mentally, and some are Tom Brady.

Honestly, the pressure of being behind gets to teams, leading to huge blow outs in the SB. NE has been to so many Owls, they can handle it and make a comeback instead of falling apart.

He's the best team player QB ever. There have been better individuals, but who cares

>listen here Tom I know you're losing but if you don't come back to win I'm throwing you over the wall

You have the falcons game way too low and the eagles game way too high

>flop wins games

So I don't care much about American Football, but I stuck some money on the Patriots and ended watching the entire thing. I enjoy other North American sports (basketball and hockey). But now I'm thinking of giving the NFL a chance starting next season.

I'm honestly kind of surprised this sport is so big in the US though. Not shitting on it, just didn't think the average American would have enough patience to sit through an entire game where not that much happens in comparison to basketball where it's non-stop back and forth.

>21ST CENTURYOWL RANKINGS
(Now with nicknames)
>1. XLIX: Patriots beat Seahawks
The Old Guard/New Guard Bowl

>2. XLIII: Steelers beat Cardinals
The Franchise Bowl

>3. XLII: Giants beat Patriots 1
The Upset Bowl

>4. XXXVI: Patriots beat Rams
The MURICA Bowl

>5. XLVII: Ravens beat 49ers
The Lights-Out Bowl

>6. XXXVIII: Patriots beat Panthers
The Nipple Slip Bowl

>7. XXXIX: Patriots beat Eagles
The Dynasty Bowl

>8. XLVI: Giants beat Patriots 2
The Rematch Bowl

>9. LI: Patriots beat Falcons
The Comeback Bowl

>10. XLV: Packers beat Steelers
The Wild Card Bowl

>11. XLIV: Saints beat Colts
The Katrina Bowl

>12. 50 (L): Broncos beat Panthers
The Defense Bowl

>13. XLVIII: Seahawks beat Broncos
The Blowout Bowl

>14. XL: Steelers beat Seahawks
The Controversial Bowl

>15. XLI: Colts beat Bears
The Manning Bowl

>16. XXXV: Ravens beat Giants
The Rape Bowl

>17. XXXVII: Buccaneers beat Raiders
The Gruden Bowl

Not to take away from the patriots, 25 points in basically 1 quarter in the superbowl is unheard of, but the Falcons literally just needed one FG and they win it. They couldn't hold on to the ball or get field position for ONE field goal for basically an entire half. No doubt that it goes back to the pats and Bill's adjustments but like... ONE FIELD GOAL

>You have the falcons game way too low and the eagles game way too high
The Eagles game wss the most back and forth, neck and neck super bowl in our lifetime

>ravens vs 49ers over patriots vs panthers
shit list

ATL only scored on 3 drives, after scoring on 66% during the playoffs and 50% during the season.

The NE D allowed 21 points. Give them some credit.

>domination 1st half against all expectations
>that slitty Beyonce half time
>that power outage
>that come back
>that down to the wire finish

It was one of the most characteristically different bowls ever.

I always completely forget that the Buccs won a super bowl in the middle of the pats dynasty.