Prove me wrong

Am I the only one who thinks this guy is overrated? he's the wenger of the NBA and if the NBA followed free-market rules he would have been found out a long time ago. The only championship that impressed me was 2014. Other than that all his wins were against underwhelming opponents and carried by Duncan. He was constantly BTFO'd by the Lakers. Choked multiple series he should have won (2011 was unforgivable), he seems to me that he only wins when he has a much better squad than the opposition (2014 aside). I get it, he finds obscure players and make witty comments but I'm not impressed by him. Now that Duncan retired, he'll enter full post-henry Wenger phase and be content with getting to the WCF from time to time without never contend for the ring, that's if he doesn't retire soon. All his successes are built on Duncan, he tanked shamelessly to get him. Had he gotten the 2nd pick that year, we wouldn't be talking about him as better as Sloan or Adelman.

Well he's white. So he'll always be better than you, Eurospic.

>Slav ancestry
>white
Pick one

>using hypotheticals to try to prove your point

Oh wow, a coach's success is wrapped up in the players on the roster!

I am shocked!

go fuck yourself, idiot

Every great coach in history has had an all time great player.

Red Auerbach- bill Russell
Pat Riley- Magic
Phil Jackson - Michael Jordan
Jerry Sloan- john Stockton & Karl Malone

Pop has done more with less than any other coach.

Hard to compare him to Wenger, when he's one of the most accomplished coaches in the last 30 years, pretty much second only to Phil Jackson. Wenger has a hard time breaking top 5 in his best 10-year span

Even with LeBron, coaches can't be carried by him for more than 60 games, still need the supporting cast and complements

But Wenger at some point was winning leagues. The thing is that Henry didn't last him 20 years like Duncan did. That's why I say that Pop is now entering his "post-henry" phase

Coaching in basketball is extremely overrated. American Football is the only sport where coaching can actually dictate a game and make a legitimate on field impact. Guys like popovich and Jackson get too much credit

I think a lot of the praise comes from the fact that their original success was as a slow, defense-first team. Then after some playoff embarrassing losses to teams like Memphis, everyone was saying the Spurs were done, they were too old. Pop then completely changed the nature of the team to one based on passing to get open 3's, and they became one of the best offenses in the NBA, copied at this point almost league-wide, and knocked off a seemingly-juggernaut Heat team. When guys like Gary Neal, Danny Green, Boris Diaw, and a 22-year-old Kawhi Leonard are lighting up a defending NBA champion in the Finals, the coach tends to get a lot of credit.

Brad Stevens is better and it's not close.

Pop has been winning titles since '98. His most recent was in 2014. That's a much longer period of success than Wenger, who showed up in the late 90s and stopped winning in 2004.

>le funny interviews man
>le social justice man

Why does everyone conveniently forget this hack got BTFO by the 8th seed Memhpis in Round 1?

How many rings does he have? How bout any recent NBA finals appearance?

How can you blame him for 2011? Manu was out game one and Tim Duncan was injured late in season and couldn't defend Z-bo, or Gasol in postseason. Their other bigs were Antonio McDyess, DeJuan Blair, Matt Bonner, and Tiago Splitter. Outside of McDyess, the other three couldn't defend. Spurs had no answer for Grizzlies' Zach Randolph, or Marc Gasol.

This, so much this.
He completely changed the look of the team to account for the aging of Duncan and to accommodate his younger players.

How can you be the Wenger of the NBA when you actually win things?

No. Unlike wenger he's not afraid to adapt and evolve his philosophy to changing times. He used to be a super defensive coach who changed his team to run a high octane offense. Hes great at finding and molding talent and bringing the best out of his players. He hasn't missed the playoffs for like 20 years

He also went the Air Force Academy and has a degree in Soviet Studies and might have ended up working in the clandestine services.

>pop overrated

no chance m8. no chance. do more research on pop. him and red are the goats

>65% flag in charge of whiteness
lmao

>Pop then completely changed the nature of the team to one based on passing to get open 3's, and they became one of the best offenses in the NBA, copied at this point almost league-wide
It's funny because Pop said he doesn't like the 3, but he saw the advantage of being efficient from behind the line, which resulted in most of the league playing copy-cat. He helped everyone see the value of a shot he doesn't even like.

But Pop actually wins and likes winning

Dantoni started the revolution. Every modern nba offense is Dantoni inspired

Pop had the GOAT Power Forward to anchor his teams for almost two decades.

>consistently picks up literally nobodies from 3rd world countries and forms them in to teams that have dominated the 21st century
"no"

This

And D'Antoni got it from Europe, as well as Pop.

This modern offense is based on offenses run by less talented European teams that need a bunch of passing to get players open sense they lack the necessary skills to create space individually. And open threes are the less physically exhausting way to score points.

It's like the in the NFL when teams adopted high flying pass happy offenses behind one skilled and accurate QB instead of traditional ground game focused offenses with scrambling QBs and wildcat formations.

Pop may be a preachy cunt, but you cannot deny his resume. He is a top-5, and some may argue a top-3 coach. I don't care for him but the guy is a legend nonetheless

spo > pop

>starting off with a cross-sport analogy
stopped reading at X of the nba tbqh

In time that may be the case, we will see what his body of work looks like in 10-15 years. But not at the moment, not even close.

Reminder he has a 2020 guaranteed expiration date when he moves on to fiba and the olympics

You best be mirin while he's still at it.

Dirk will soon retire, hungry Carlisle, seeing no further obligation, will break rank and accuse Cubes of being the albatross that he is, jumps ship to San Antonio to fill the Pop void and chase Pop's records. Revolving door of Carlisle, Kerr and Stevens hips for 25 years.

I hope he does. He still hasto contend with. LeBron & Co. will live in a world full of hurt once these guys get going again.

Tim Duncan is better than Bill Russell and Magic.

Eh he might be but Russel and Magic had much better supporting casts