Has there ever been a character in a movie as useless as Corporal Upham was in Saving Private Ryan?

Has there ever been a character in a movie as useless as Corporal Upham was in Saving Private Ryan?

Other urls found in this thread:

247365hatemachine.blogspot.ca/2015/02/saving-private-ryan-and-minority-report.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

yeah, like you wouldn't be as shit as him in combat

>let's his comrade die
>"atones" for it by committing a war crime
Genius.

That was small potatoes compared to other allied war crimes.

Private Updog was horrible

He was useful as a translator, which is the job the Army assigned him because they're actually not bad at weeding out those not cut out for combat into other roles they'll actually be good at. This is why in Band of Brothers the paratroopers only had faith in other paratroopers fighting next to them. Probably same for the rest of the SVP squad as they were from a Ranger division. Which is why he was just running ammo in that battle.

Only in the Marines are you still expected to be a badass killer no matter your mos.

He did solid German to English translation.

Spv? What was I thinking, meant SPR obviously.

all war is a crime idiots

>FUBAR
How on earth did he not know what that meant?

Apparently it was first in print in 'Yank, the Army Weekly' in January, 1944 and Upham did seem like the type that would read his army issued periodicals, so yeah, pretty stupid that he wouldn't know it.

>muh "honor"
>muh "loyalty"
>muh "sacrifice"
>muh "military"
>muh "camaraderie"

Military. It's essentially a declaration that you've lost the game.

Think about it. The power of free will and you *still* settle for slavery. Wonderful, no?

From an early age, you're influenced by your environment. Your parents (or lack of), teachers (in some manner, shape or form) and other mentors can help steer your life in a direction, whichever direction that may actually be.

However, during all of this, if you're still alive and have most of your bodily functions, there are a whole world of opportunities available to you. Especially in this day and age of technological marvels and the wonders of the Internet to provide information (and, of course, misinformation.)

The military should not even be an option, at this point, because not only is there enough information to suggest that joining it is only for those who've allowed themselves to be brainwashed by a military-industrial complex keen on retaining what power they have left ... but there is also enough information available for people to make their own decisions on what they'd like to do, instead.

Still, people join. They wish to be broken down and remoulded in somebody else's image.

This is a sign of weakness. Of allowing one's self to be influenced and corrupted by those with power and ambition. Essentially, those who join the military are no-better than mindless sheep.

>tl;dr: Join the military? You're a faeces-flinging, irradiated, nuclear-powered rhesus monkey who enjoys others making decisions for you.

Free will doesn't exist to begin with, faggot

Was op in Saving Private Ryan?

I won't think about it.

fucking reddit fuck

sure it does, you're just too weak willed to exercise it to any meaningful extent, so for you, it's easier to pretend it's nonexistent than accept you're just a failure at grasping the basics of your being here

What's updog?

Watch the movie. He wasn't the one that brought FUBAR up. It was the Salty Juden

yeah, you sure do know better than vast majority of scientists and philosophers. What I was thinking, som faggot posting on Sup Forums had all the right answers!

>HRR FAGGOT

like i said, you're just too weak willed user, you can't even come up with a meaningful retort without relying on something someone else has already said

you can't even think for yourself LOL sad

What has war got to do with the military.

>if I keep repeating my opinion and add a few insults here and there he'll surely accept it!

yeah, he was a coward, but he's responsible for most of the narrative of the film. he's one of the two survivors of the company assigned to save ryan, and given his linguistic skills, likely told the story of the group to ryan as they were evacuated.

it's part of the brilliance of the direction of the movie. with minimal exception (the fucking knife scene.. although upham was down the hall pissing his pants) nearly everything depicted could be recounted by upham or reiben, or stories told by milller to ryan during their time waiting for the assault on the bridge.

Well, this thread sure took a turn for the worst

>he thinks it's an opinion

wew lad, you really are beyond saving

if you think he was useless you miss the point of his character. He's a pacifistic and the point of his character is that we need both pacifists and warriors.

The Sheriff in No Country for Old Men.
I mean at least he tried but he still didn't affect anything.

Reminder that prisoners of war actually have a moral obligation to attempt to escape when able.

Literally everyone in Cabin in the Woods, the "I was just pretending to be retarded" of horror movies.

SPR IS A SHITTY MOVIE WITH GREAT BATTLE SCENE'S!!!FACT!!! 247365hatemachine.blogspot.ca/2015/02/saving-private-ryan-and-minority-report.html

Fuck, I didn't realize you're advertising yourself you fucking faggot. Your reasoning for why SPR is bad is shit.
"oh I don't agree with the actions of these soldiers they're so dumb what a shit movie"

There was literally nothing wrong with him shooting that guy though.

They let him leave the radio tower when he surrendered, but he just rejoined the germans and took part in another battle. What was he supposed to do? Let him go again so he could kill more of his friends?

I was rewatching this today. I hate that character so much...

pic is the real upham

>military is something where people with no direction go and only retards would join
Lel

Your vision is highly influenced by movies mate. The reality is not exactly the herd of lambs led by a couple of people with power that you seem to have.

He let the other 2 people go, so he obviously doesn't care that much about the butterfly effect.

If the Chinese army let you go so you could run on back to their main compound and be thrown in prison, would you avoid an allied patrol so you could do that? No. You're criticizing the character because he only pretended to be a sniveling coward, when Upham truly was a sniveling coward.

>i watched a movie the rest of the world watched 20 years ago
>i haven't watched too many movies, but i watched this one
>in the course of watching this movie i had an idea
>i thought it was a really good idea, so i universalized it
>i haven't watched too many movies, or thought much about things, but i thought this thought i had about this particular movie i had thought was pretty good, so i had thought i'd share it

Has there ever been a more useless character than Corporal OPham was in Saving Private Sup Forumsmovieshowthread?