Dungeon synth

i'm sad, stoned, and lonely. somebody talk about dungeon synth with me.

DS is often associated with occultism, meditation and other ritualistic practices. do you think that dungeon synth actually has magical properties?

what's your favorite release from this year? pic related is mine. does modern dungeon synth have a future? or is it doomed to live in the shadow of the 90s?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0gUFVefSrn4
dungeonsynthcompilation.bandcamp.com/music
foolish-fire.bandcamp.com/
toiletovhell.com/down-into-the-dungeon-with-masterlord/
youtube.com/watch?v=gqCdTCZ1z-E
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryn_Jones_discography
soundcloud.com/haemolacria/vlad-draculas-incarnate
ephemerallandscapes.bandcamp.com/releases
chaucerianmyth.bandcamp.com/album/troilus-and-criseyde
twitter.com/AnonBabble

don't think that dungeon synth has a future, wasn't even aware that there were current releases, but here's one i've kept with me since my interest in black metal when i was younger: youtube.com/watch?v=0gUFVefSrn4

as far as magical properties go, i think that music in general can carry some kind of aura about it that lies dependent on how it was made, its intentions, genre, etc. .. even if it's just the ability to evoke a mood, its the same as any other artistic medium in that it can take you somewhere else mentally, which is a good definition of magical in the common sense.

for me, dungeon synth creates a very strong feeling of wanting to go somewhere that doesn't physically exist and is almost nostalgic to places i have never been

What is this album called?

yeah man that lamentation album is powerful

>for me, dungeon synth creates a very strong feeling of wanting to go somewhere that doesn't physically exist and is almost nostalgic to places i have never been
totally agree. i think it has a strong connection to fantasy and escapism so the idea of going to a different realm makes sense.

it's not an album unfortunately, just a piece of artwork i used to bump the thread.

Ever play runescape?

Dungeon Synth is alive today and it will probably fade away as a meme but it will be around. It is also very much dead today since Mortiis stopped doing Dungeon Synth and started doing Bad Goth instead (also there is good Goth like Sisters of mercy and so on).

Also I think it is about to blow since there is bands like Chaucerian Myth who make it all NOT about trolls and upside down crosses. Also Blackmetal and all its subgenres is about war against the christian values of europe and the pride of the white nordic population and since there is all these hipsters doing blackmetal and dungeon synth saying they like Burzum but not the political views of Varg it is about to break off. I think this is good. it is not controversial battling the Christian values today. rather the controversial thing to do is to go with Christ.
Also there is so many interesting artist coming up today with the Dungeon Synth 8-bit music and dungeon noise and all that so there is a Dungeon Synth revolution going on. i think that is a good thing.
I would like to recommend reading tthe DS articles on ArchaicTriad.com if you are feeling down. Also how can DS die off then you have Fief, Moaning Shadows and all those?

And there is one more thing. I think that when Erang has made is last album he would have done as many as Muzlimgause did and there is a long time left until that day.

Also these:

dungeonsynthcompilation.bandcamp.com/music

downloading OP album hope its good

shit, no im not the only copy on slsk doesnt work. Does anyone have a working link to OPs album?

I do not think it is the OPs album. Is it?

here you go:

So you think you know all about underground music?

what am I going to get myself into if I start listening to this

Oh it is just a gateway style to regular dungeon synth. I would start of with Alder Deep or Ransaur and go for a walk with your headphones. If you like more power in your noise you should go with Einhorn or Tyrannus. If you like Erdig you could try Digre who is the same artist.

Magic, the darkest magic, scattered across time...

someone give me witchs pointy hat pls

Cursed Kings by Soltri is my pick of 2017 so far. Classic style, but good production values.

And, if you haven't already, you've got to pick up the four classic albums sampled in this review:

toiletovhell.com/down-into-the-dungeon-with-masterlord/

Myrrdin
Erang
Lord Lovidicus
Abandoned Places

They're all well known by fans of the genre already but it's gotten so large in recent years that newcomers can miss them.

I think it definitely does. Even just a few years ago "dungeon synth" wasn't even a term in circulation, people just regarded it as that weird thing Mortiis did and which a few other black metal-connected individuals did in imitation of Burzum's ambient tracks. In recent years it's truly taken off as its own thing and with new projects arising all the time I can only see it getting better and better.

nothing good. dungeon noise is basically just diet dungeon synth

I have that tape, it's good as fuck

are you Digre

no ur gay
like under half of that is actually good but I wouldn't call it "diet dungeon synth" exactly
eh

Svante the shitposter

>Also I think it is about to blow since there is bands like Chaucerian Myth
yeah i agree chaucerian myth has potential to spearhead a new movement that prioritizes composition (something that isn't very common in the genre) although i thought his last album was just okay.

>rather the controversial thing to do is to go with Christ.
i don't agree with this at all. christianity is still the most widely practiced religion in the world.

>would like to recommend reading tthe DS articles on ArchaicTriad.com if you are feeling down
awesome, i will definitely check this out.

>Muzlimgause
what is Muzlimgause?

Guys, hit me with your Dungeon Synth 2017 AOTY

Maybe this

see
that first track is just so beautiful and meditative, like the best ambient burzum tracks. the second song is a bit of a drop off, but it's still an interesting idea and it's good for self-reflection

Maybe this tho

Why do people not like track two dammit

well it's just that track one is a beautifully-composed piano/keyboard piece while track two is just a sample of some gregorian chant that has been looped for ten minutes.

it still sounds nice but i can't help but think of it as filler when he's obviously capable of making good compositions

easily the best

There's always this

I guess that's fair, though in terms of atmosphere it's still really strong so I don't mind it.
Better than the 2nd one imo

I never really got around to this because I think the cover sux but I should try it out

>though in terms of atmosphere it's still really strong so I don't mind it.
yeah that's true. have you tried reading the prayer that's supposed to go along with it on the rosary?

>I think the cover sux
that's funny, the reason why i was drawn to it in the first place was because of the cover. it's a good album though with some really beautiful moments

I can barely read it so no...I think maybe I tried once but couldn't quite get the timing right

Listening to it, it's actually quite nice

I'm always sad stoned and lonely

try listening to dungeon synth.

B-but I am, and have been for a few years...I don't think it's working

>I don't think it's working
well that's a question of how you would define "working". it's definitely not going to make you happy outgoing chad. but it is good for escapism

I enjoy showing this off here

Yeah it does help me escape fo sho...

Bump

Damn this album is fucking great. Love the second song too.

Examples for all of these? Some of those subgenres are intriguing.

All? No. Tell us which ones you're interested in

>discover genre full of so much free (or nearly free) music online
>tfw I become a geek about it
feelsgoodman.jpg

Glenn Danzig's Black Aria came out a year before Mortiis' released his first solo recordings.
Glenn Danzig invented dungeon synth.

>tfw had no idea this existed
WTF this changes everything

Holy shit. How did i not know about this?

>DS
WHAT did he mean by that

Muslimgauze is a producer who did stuff since the 80s. Grew out of the industrial scene and made ethnic dub music. Mostly known for the amount of stuff he recorded until his untimely death. Sadly this contributes to a feeling of a lack of quality control and it does lead to very boring music. He does have some good stuff here and there, it is just stacked beneath dozens of mediocre albums. Notably albums like Return of Black September which has more of a dark ambient vibe. Personally while I enjoy some of his stuff I would like sort of what Muslimgauze was doing without all the middle eastern influence.

interesting. does he have any dungeon synth-ey stuff?

as long as DS is associated with black metal, I don't see it really going away, it'll always survive in some form from some guy noodling around with synths

youtube.com/watch?v=gqCdTCZ1z-E

It was a fairly low-profile release put out by Glenn himself on his Plan 9 label, whereas the stuff Danzig(the band) was doing as the time came out on Def Jam and got a good deal of promotion.

I think DS has the potential to become the new black metal - to me it is basically the same thing minus the distortion.

i thought jim kirkwood invented dungeon synth

this is awesome.

dungeon synth is a dead genre and every artist now that does it is a total moron.

what makes you say that?

this actually makes sense considering the current renaissance of electronic self-produced music and the phasing out of rock.

not to say that black metal would stop (at least i hope not)

>been into dungeon since since the early 2000s
>hipsters find out about it because its the new obscure genre to exploit
>every other person has a Dungeon Synth bandcamp album now

ds isn't going to overtake the genre that in part birthed it lol, and said genre isn't going anywhere as long as the underground is keeping it alive

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryn_Jones_discography

Muslimgauze is not ds. It is some kind of triphop electronic ambient. You should check it out.
Well I do like the troll and blackcape stuff too when it is good and I think it is most of the time but I do dislike when this satan stuff is just a cheep gimmick andmost of the time it is. But as I said blackmetal ist krieg and I have no intention to change that.. Dungeon Synth as aBlackmetal sub-genre is still this but DS do also stands by itself with all this innovation and experimentation developments. I love it.

Jag har din dator.

Yes yes I am.

Depressive Silence you cuck

nahh Black Metal is here to stay.
As for the DS, now it establishes itself as its own genre, and then it will undergo the standard cycle of music.
I probably get flag for saying this, but check out the track Fanfare from Liturgy's (yeah yeah I know) The Ark Work. I really do like this track as it kind of shows that a lot of territory of medieval musical ideas/sounds/hybrids have been left unexplored.

dude i made dungeon synth and got nothing out of it, only criticism about my musical taste and total ignorance.

>>every other person has a Dungeon Synth bandcamp album now
if you actually liked dungeon synth you would think this is a good thing. it means more music for you to listen to. sure a lot of it is shit, but there's way more good dungeon synth available today then there was in the early 2000s

It makes it less unique. boring, since its an old trick now. If they are actually talented they would make something worth listening to but it just isn't happening

>only criticism about my musical taste and total ignorance
from who? you can't show your dungeon synth project to normies who don't know what dungeon synth is. of course you would get that kind of reaction from them.

do you want to show off some stuff?
I would be interested to listen to it.

fuck off i discovered dungeon synth in 2008, Mortiis to be exact, the only reason I put it on Bandcamp is for others to hear it.

I'm not a neckbeard, I'm not a hipster, I'm just trying to create my own stuff.

soundcloud.com/haemolacria/vlad-draculas-incarnate

I'm not doing anymore of this music, I've pretty much ran out of ideas for it.

I use to get more appreciation when they had groups on SoundCloud I could post to, but they're now an abandoned feature unfortunately.

>If they are actually talented they would make something worth listening to but it just isn't happening
try listening to these
ephemerallandscapes.bandcamp.com/releases
chaucerianmyth.bandcamp.com/album/troilus-and-criseyde

>NSBS

>spent hundreds of hours as a teenager getting drunk in parents' basement and fucking around with a laptop and a few cheap synths with no particular purpose, had no interest whatsoever in black metal/black metal intros/dungeon synth at the time; most of my influences came from movie soundtracks and i and mostly did this because i wanted to learn how to use synths and some DAWs
>finished shitloads of tracks of morose, vaguely medieval-feeling, often melodic and often very cheesy dark synth music; i would later learn that this was an actual genre called dungeon synth
>would usually hand over whatever finished tracks I had at the time to a buddy of mine who would then remix those tracks with his own contributions in the form of industrial and noise flourishes produced on an entirely analog production setup
>the material that we produced was vastly superior to the majority of the shit coming out of this recent 2010s dungeon synth resurgence
>I lost all my copies of the material when I moved house and misplaced the CD-Rs
>he lost all his copies of the material in a hard drive crash
>neither one of us was particularly upset about it at the time because we just treated the whole thing as a hobby and had no intention of even attempting to get any of the music published
>tfw we could have been the most important band in modern dungeon synth if we just held onto the stuff that we recorded for 4-5 more years

I could have been a superstar right now.

true.
But give it time it will get there.
There will be - I don't know -
southern country funeral cornfield DS
with +1 twang and raving snake-handlin priests

right now's just the "true"-phase

>2010s dungeon synth revival
What fucking revival? It's a dying genre that's been slowly dying since the mid 90's, there's a reason artists like Mortiis changed genre.

hear hear

bump

It is ok. We probably liked what you posted.

Well look at any music. There is so many rap-albums but only 4 or so is worth listening to. Same with trip hop, grunge, screw, euro dance, dark ambient and so on. The funny thing with DS is that more than half of it is pretty good if you like this kind of music. And if you know how to spot what is honest and pure mist of it is good I think.

This thread sucks, dungeon synth is boring, you should all go kys.

you could remake the thing on fruity loops in a couple hours if you really cared that much

what kind of music do you like?

Ty.

nu metal, rap, deathcore why?

Yeah where is all the NSDS and DSAC?

haha

>DSAC
?

That guy wasn't me. I don't listen to crap.

My chart. Take notes.