David Bowie

Why do people pretend that this dude was good?

he's got a cool style
he was handsome

they didn't know him

he's hot

it's all a joke on you user, suprise!

Lol dude you just got pranked it was worth it to hold it in all these decades but your face made it all worth it.

Memes aside, while perhaps not the greatest singer out of his musical peers, he was definitely one of the most important artists of all time, as well as maybe even the greatest artist of his own time. Creating various movements and inspiring many other artists to follow in similar footsteps. As well, creating certain genres and setting his own music style. A legendary staple of the industry and history.

"This ain't rock 'n' roll-this is genocide!"

Because he made "Low", "Heroes", and "Blackstar", which are all amazing records.

This nigga has a ton of range and genres and he is a good singer imo

Agreed

As usual with Bowie, Blackstar (RCA, 2016), produced again by Tony Visconti,, is mostly image and very little about the music. The ten-minute Blackstar, that was supposed to be the centerpiece, is little more than a funereal litany a` la Doors with jazz horns that goes on five minutes too many. Bowie crooning melodramatic in Lazarus (from his Broadway musical about an alien who falls in love) or romantic in Dollar Days is either delirious and pathetic, certainly not entertaining. His tedious voice interferes with the driving jazz jam of 'Tis a Pity She Was a Whore and with the frenzied and tense Sue (a 2014 single). Even when the voice is not a distraction, the rest is hardly intriguing: I Can't Give Everything Away boasts an awful distorted guitar against syncopated beats and layers of electronic drones: not exactly genius. This is trivial "music" that any amateur could make, except that most amateurs would be ashamed to release it.

Bowie died of cancer in january 2016.

Hello Scaruffi

cool b8

I don't even know if he was a technically good singer. He had all that plastic-y overtones when he shifted from head to normal voice, and sometimes has a hard time hitting certain notes. But I think more importantly is that he had a distinctive singing style that he absolutely rocked.

Let's see how many got baited

I'm convinced everyone fell for the "le david bowie is good XD" meme but me and you OP.

he was the best one in tin machine, guys

they want to signal to other people that they have good taste so they express a liking for someone they believe is generally considered to be good
it's self perpetuating, you see.
Hopefully, one not-too-distant day, there will be a clear demarcation between a great music like Bring Me to Life covered by Kidz Bop, who never sold much, and commercial products like the David Bowie.

Because The Man Who Sold The World, Hunky Dory, Aladdin Sane, Station to Station, Low, 'Heroes', Lodger, Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps), 1.OUTSIDE, and Blackstar are all fantastic albums

Ziggy stardust isn't?

>Station to Station, Low, 'Heroes', Lodger

only good ones

Add ziggy stardust, diamond dogs, young americans and let's dance. Bowie's not just good, he's the best.

what says.

And he didn't had training, he learned as he went on.

>has the nerve to mention 1. OUTSIDE but not Earthling and Reality

He only ever did what he felt like doing

>David Bowie turned marketing into the essence of his art. All great phenomena of popular music, from Elvis Presley to the Beatles, had been, first and foremost, marketing phenomena (just like Coca Cola and Barbie before them); however, Bowie turned that into an art of its own. With Bowie the science of marketing becomes art; art and marketing become one. There were intellectuals who had proclaimed this theory in rebellious terms. Bowie was, in many ways, the heir, no matter how perverted, of Andy Warhol's pop art and of the underground culture of the 1960s. He adopted some of the most blaspheme issues and turned them upside down to make them precisely what they had been designed to fight: a commodity.
>Bowie died of cancer in january 2016.
- Scruffis

Is Scaruffi the only professional reviewer with balls in our era?

never in my life i saw such a great amount of plebeian fucking garbage in one single quote, like the real definition of music-ignorant
good job

:)
this makes me happy

>Implying 1.OUTSIDE isn't Bowie's best and most musically diverse album