Daily Reminder That The Greatest Comeback Of All Time Actually Happened

Other urls found in this thread:

a.espncdn.com/nfl/columns/clayton_john/1457923.html
theringer.com/nfl-overtime-rules-super-bowl-li-patriots-falcons-62316a6f8e3c#.2jsu30ggh
reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/2he0en/the_true_stats_of_nfl_overtime/
reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/2h30h8/statistical_look_at_the_new_ot_rules/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Daily reminder that Sup Forums is a casual board with little to no deep knowledge of the game of American football and will continue to slight the Patriots team and Bill's coaching prowess and assume it was all Brady

all thanks to the coin toss

No shit, sherlock.
Sup Forums is only good for meming. If you haven't figured out that everyone here thinks the QB is all that matters, then you haven't been here long enough.

You sound like a sore Failcons fan.
You need to deal with the fact: Brady is the GOAT. No, he's not the nest individual QB player even today, but he has the best resume and that's all that matters.

>A coin toss scored 25 unanswered points
Wew lad

>25 unanswered points

We wuz gonna score dis teim.

I still can't believe it. It wasn't as shocking as XLIX, I think, because that game was more competitive and the patriots went from certain defeat to certain victory in one play just like that. This game the pats were getting destroyed, but simply wouldn't die. You could tell as soon as the pats get it to 16 the Falcons start to press as a team and there is a lot of time on the clock, there was a lot of hope in my heart as a pats fan. It is hard to believe they made every play down the stretch while Atlanta made none. Even down 28-3 the madden player in me was doing the math. Bill does the right thing taking that FG to cut it to 16, I don't know how many coaches would do that. It's a great comeback. I needed to see Brady fold before I gave up hope and he never did.

it's not a great comeback if a holding call is the reason it worked. it was a decent comeback that almost fell flat on its face. if this was a regular season game, nobody in the world would still be talking about it.

Guys i need to rape. I have a huge urge to rape my neighbors. I need help. Im going to lose control.

>>it would've been a failed comeback if it had failed.

Wew

no, i said it came very close to being a failed comeback, and the only reason it succeeded is because the falcons were penalized and brought back 23 yards. that's not exciting football, that's typical patriots 4th quarter good fortune.

pretty much how i felt too, especially the madden player in me playing out scenarios lol. I literally just rewatched this game its absolutely astonishing how they made every single play down the stretch. The defense played even better than it felt at the time on that rewatch. Unbelievable team effort.

I know, it happened 12 years ago in Istanbul.

This is better as it was equivalent to coming back 3-0 with 10 minutes to go.

also thats not even the best comeback in soccer, Man U 2 goals in injury time 99' was better

>that flag
>istanbul
hello britkek 'fugee :^)

Coming from 3-0 in football is almost impossible. Coming back from 1-0 down is a regular occurrence. Also we're talking about a Milan side with some of the best players in history and it was a mismatch. United 99 were way better than bayern in terms of individual quality and depth.

but this super bowl atlanta had the game by 25 points with only less than 20 minutes to play. there has never been a 25 point comeback in the history of the super bowls

there's only one way to score in soccer. there's about 15 different ways to score in football that happen on a regular basis, and probably like 40 or 50 overall.

and... it's very difficult to score a touchdown in a super bowl especially with that kind of time and pressure coming back

>7-1

>7-1

they were down 28-3 you faggot

inexcusable

Istanbul happened in an actual relevant sport though.

It's not like Steven Bradbury's gold in 2002 is the best comeback of all

t. Rex Ryan

What if there's a universe where Brazil came back from 7-1?

that'd really be somethin

What is 2005 CL final

not with the way atlanta's defense was playing in the second half.

>americans caring for a sport not averaging 2 commercials a minute

> coin toss scored 25 points
> huemonkeys mad that no matter how bad an American team chokes 7-1 will forever be the epitome of failure

Liverpool v AC Milan tier

reminder that Clarence seedorf literally said "zis does not fockin slip lads" and then he literally slipped and Liverpool won on penalties

Daily reminder Tom Brady has more rings than 28 NFL teams have in their entire history. Muh parity

>the only reason it succeeded is because the falcons were penalized and brought back 23 yards

What bullshit.
On 1st down, Pats killed a rush for a 2 yard loss.
On 2nd down, Pats sacked Ryan.
On 3rd down, Chris Long blew past the left tackle, so the tackle grabbed Long by the neck to prevent another sack.

That is called great, clutch defense. Those plays BY THE PATS DEFENSE killed Atlanta's chance to put the game away.

I almost feel too bad to shitpost. Like, if this choke happened to my team it would emotionally destroy me, holy fuck. That game was the kind of shit that makes people stop watching football.

How do you fuck up that badly?

Yeah like 25 years ago.

no this happened on sunday of this year (2017).

That's implying that if they lost the coin toss the defense wouldn't have stopped the Falcons offense and still scored.

Also, if the Falcons won the coin toss and scored would you be saying that they won the game "thanks to a coin toss."

Watch more football before you make dinduish comments like that

>25 is more than 32

Betsy DeVos literally got confirmed 5 minutes ago and she's already destroying American education.

nigger they had a 25 point lead. dont bitch about a coin toss. win in regulation

>muh parity

Getting tired of you stupid foreign idiots saying this, stop watching our sports if you are just going to complain about something as insignificant as this. New England is good because their organization is run well from the top to the bottom. Kraft is a great owner who hires fantastic staff, Belichick is a genius coach who understands the game and players skills like no other, and Brady is an elite quarterback in skill and tenacity. Put all of those together mixed with the fact that they can manage to keep their unbreakable formula going for so long and of course you are going to get perennial winners.

So why the fuck does parity matter in this case? What sport has unequivocal parity? You are always going to get dominant teams/players when they are dominant simply by design. And even then, you're acting like the Pats have won every Super Bowl in the past 16 years, when in reality they have faced loads of challenges to get where they are. That's the whole reason why people hate the Pats. Deep down inside all fans want to see the top guys get knocked down. Good sports don't pit equal teams against equal teams in every single game, in every single season. You don't get the satisfaction that Giants fans got when you inevitably defeat the big bad dynasty.

Parity doesn't mean anything

So how can anyone defend overtime being decided before both teams have a chance to win?
Imagine if it was that way in basketball and the game was decided by who had the taller nigger to win the tipoff and then go make a layup

The Defense has just as much a chance as stopping the offense though. Just because someone gets the ball doesnt mean they can drive down the field. You automatically assume that if the falcons had gotten it they wouldve won when the Patriots Defense shut them down in the second half.

Because my team won

And you automatically assume that they wouldn't.
The fact of the matter is that there should never be assumptions in naming a winner of a sporting contest, nfl overtime can result in an assumpted win

At the very least Atlanta should have had a drive of their own to try and match the patriots'. The better solution is just a full period and so on until someone is ahead at the end of a period

why does everyone forget that the patriots would have had possession of the ball at the start of overtime following normal quarter rules.

if you want to bitch about sudden death go ahead, but the toss was fair.

>So how can anyone defend overtime being decided before both teams have a chance to win?
Atlanta had a fucking chance to win when they were up by 25 goddamn points with 17 minutes left in regulation

so, in other words, it was a great comeback

That was not their fault tbqh. They were in the field like 2/3 of the game time. They were literally ded by the end of the game

It's obviously a shitty rule, but football is won by offense and by defense. The Falcons defense had a chance to stop them, or hold them to a FG.

I think the rule should change, but I don't think the college shoot out rules would translate to the NFL. The overtime period should be like the NBA, put 10 minutes on the clock and whoever is winning when the time expires, wins.

but bill is a better coach than brady is a qb
I don't think anyone on Sup Forums would disagree you idiot

you mean overexertion is a possibility and should be accounted for in hundred million dollar sporting organizations with a basic appreciation of planning and strategy?

all of this situational evidence just because the outcome you wanted happened. if Atlanta had won the toss and then scored a td and won after getting their shit pushed in for 20 minutes would that have been 'fair' since ne 'should' have had the ball?

more situational confirmation that doesn't actually justify the shitty rules

No, because whoever wins the coin toss will have more possessions.
In the current format, the winner of the toss wins 54% of the time. That is the fairest system they have looked at.

>What if there's a universe where Brazil came back from 7-1?
if brazil had come back and won that game 8-7, it would without a doubt be the greatest game of any sport ever played period.
but coming back down 28-3, would be like coming back from a 4-0 deficit in a game of footy. still would be impressive.

Is there a source to that 54%?

First i'm hearing of it, That's a lot closer than I would have thought. Maybe the rule is fine then.

>No, because whoever wins the coin toss will have more possessions.

>every possession takes the same amount of time
>there's no such thing as clock management
Oh
>tftf

I just don't understand how this passes through your mind as a good argument or something profound.

Also basketball and football aren't really comparable. And the tip off at least involves direct player action, not flipping a coin for a big advantage.

What drugs are you on? Unless their is a turnover, possessions alternate. The ream receiving first will never have less possessions, but may have more.

Jesus Christ I'm glad for your own sake that you babies weren't watching football yet back when the OT games could be ended by just a field goal.

Remember when you could just kick a FG in OT and win the game? exactly, they changed this to you have to now score a td on first drive other it alternates until sudden death. They already made changes to OT, and its much. There several long contested OT games this year even ties. If you thinking Atlanta losing is unfair, then maybe they should have gotten good players on defense rather then try to win with their meme offense that they used all their high draft picks on. Stay mad faggots.

I've been watching football for 20 years. I always argued how stupid it was for a team to win a coin flip and then be able to win the game with a FG without the other team being given a chance to respond. I argued they should get an equal number of possessions.

I was glad the rule was changed, but I don't understand how they decide to change that rule yet make it halfassed and only marginally better.

I can't be arsed to dig it up. It is just a simple count of games, if you want to go to PFR stats.
Here is one saying teams score on the first drive 46% of the time, including FGs. That means the other team nearly always gets a possession.

a.espncdn.com/nfl/columns/clayton_john/1457923.html

surely the falcons in full collapse mode would have came back against super saiyan autism mode brady

>this is the alternate universe where the Patriots won Superbowl 49 and Superbowl 51

What I'm saying is that Atlanta's problem was not the defense but the offense that was unable to stay for long on the field with quite a bunch of 3 and outs

>Since the NFL instituted its new overtime rules, there have been 87 overtime games. Five have been ties, and the team to get the ball first has won 45 of the remaining 82. That’s 54.8%.
theringer.com/nfl-overtime-rules-super-bowl-li-patriots-falcons-62316a6f8e3c#.2jsu30ggh

I always root for the Patriots over the last 10 years. I'm happy with the result.

However not being a moron from Boston I can admit that the overtime rules are inherently unfair and largely precipitate on the variance of a coin flip.

Because the coin flip didn't decide the game. There's equal oppurtunity for the Offense to score a TD or the Defense to force a Punt/FG.

And as far as I'm concerned, there's no statistical data to support that winning the coin toss gives you an advantage.

reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/2he0en/the_true_stats_of_nfl_overtime/

This one states that team won 34% of games on the first possession, but this was back when field goals could win it.

reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/2h30h8/statistical_look_at_the_new_ot_rules/

This one shows that 7 of the 42 game sample (16%) were won on a first drive TD after winning the coin toss.

So unless you show me something different, winning the coin toss is anything but a guaranteed TD/win.

Even if it isn't decided on the first drive, if the team that won the coin flip scores on their second drive even with a FG the game is over without the other team having another chance to respond. That's clearly an advantage.

>10 min clock
It would be a field goal fest again. The same way it was when overtime rules were "1st team to score wins".
The new rule at least gives teams an incentive to score a touchdown.

This one was more satisfying.

Okay, but according to this article , in the NCAA shootout system, Teams flip a coin to decide who plays offense first or second, and the team going 2nd has won 55% of games, because they know whether or not they need a TD or simply a field goal to win.

The article states that the team on offense first wins 54.8% of overtime games in the NFL, while the team that goes 2nd in college wins 54.9% of games.

There's no better alternative to the current rule in the NFL.

Reported

Kill yourself please.

Remove FGs in overtime. Both teams must score TDs and receive an equal number of possessions.

But there's no guarantee in that scenario that there's a 50/50 chance of victory going 1st or 2nd. Im honestly fine with 55% to 45%, that's not a big advantage at all. Its impossible to remove luck from sports.

Who's to say the coin toss was anymore lucky than Edelman's catch? Or Atlanta's clock management? Or Atlanta's play calling?

So many things had to go right for the Patriots in that 2nd half, their execution was great, but they were also very lucky.

And even with all that, Atlanta still had a chance to stop them in OT.

announcing reports isn't allowed bye retard

"they had a chance to stop them" is simply a terrible argument.

Comparing coin flips to lucky catches or plays also just plain terrible.

I mean it's so easily made an absurdity.

Why not flip a coin to see which team gets 2 offensive possessions for the other team's 1. Football is both offense and defense, and the other team still has a chance to stop them, right? There are lucky plays like when a ball bounces off the foot of a running defensive player and a different offensive player than the one that was targeted catches, so you can't completely remove "luck" why try to make it as fair as possible?

>"they had a chance to stop them" is simply a terrible argument.
make the counter-argument then

The counter argument is self-evident. Both teams should get an equal number of possessions. Saying the defense "has a chance to stop them" isn't fair.

I never said it was a good argument. But you could conceivably find issues with any other OT alternative. My point is, it'll never be perfectly fair for both sides.

>28-3
>defense plays soft, gives up td
>get ball back
>2nd and 1 late 3rd qtr, fuck it up badly
>get sacked 3rd down
>punt
>defense cant stop pats, give up fg
>next drive 2nd and 2, get stuffed up the middle
>3rd down, strip sack trying to pass even tho a run would have gotten 1st down
>defense gives up td
>pats score improbable 2 pt conversion
>next drive bring the ball all they way down field on julios insane catch
>give up sack
>next play, holding penalty
>next play, thrown over wr's head
>have to punt
>pats have to go 91 yards for a change to tie the game, thisisitrighthere.jpg
>legendary drive, pats score
>moment of truth, 2 pt conversion is good
>pats make impossible comeback possible
>atlanta still has a change
>throw a couple check down throws for a few yards instead of throwing it down field
>OT, Brady makes incredible throws with tremendous poise that pretty much no other qb can do
>td white, game set match
>greatest comeback of all time

but no...m..mmmuh cointoss

>keepcryingbitchnigga.jpg

Are you incapable of looking at the bigger picture? That game itself is irrelevant to the discussion, and quite probably if it had gone the other way Boston area fans would be on here crying everyday.

>being this mad

actually anyone bitching about the cointoss is not looking at the bigger picture tbqh. the point is, out of all the things that transpired in the game, and there were several dozen of things that needed to happen for that outcome, you seriously think the cointoss decided the fate of everything? you can't be this fucking retarded.

This.
The Falcons Defense is not actually a part of the Atlanta Falcons team. Therefore, each team did not get a """fair""" chance

>all these assumptions
>all this salt

>mfw people are going to be this mad until the next season starts

>mfw tom is just gonna win again and cause earth shaking levels of ass pain

>bill belichick made Brady throw all those strikes

No, idiot. I rooted for the Patriots, I'm very happy they won. Especially since shitlibs were making it a political statement that nignog Atlanta was winning.

That being said, the overtime rules are shit and unfair. Period. Get your head out of your ass.

The fact that you think this is a good line is truly astounding. I'm putting your IQ not higher than 95, but I'm sure you'll respond that it's actually 150, plus you have a 10 inch dick and 10 million in the bank.

saved

>the overtime rules are shit and unfair.
Genuinely curious: How old are you? Did you watch the NFL when defense mattered?

>b..b..but atlanta deserved a chance to win

honestly, the only scenario atlanta could lose is by giving up a td. If your defense led by your defensive minded coach can't stop the other team from scoring a td with the fucking superbowl on the line of all things, then you don't deserve to fucking win. end of story.

Just stop, hun. Nobody agrees with you

Still no webm of the comeback.