What's the best way to word a sentence describing the reduction of a sound?

What's the best way to word a sentence describing the reduction of a sound?

The sound didn't ______

I want to say it didn't dim down/reduce

What's a more informal way of saying it

dampen

Subside? Diminish? Fade? Wane?

"The sound was lowered."
"The volume was lowered"
"The sound became more quiet"

In the case of "The sound didn't ___" you are implying the sound either remained the same, or became louder, in either case, describe it as such.

"The volume stayed the same"
"The sound stayed the same"
"the volume got louder"
"the sound got louder"

Nope, still too formal. Maybe rewording the sentence would be better? Got any ideas?

What if it was a barking sound. The barking stayed the same? Doesn't sound right to me

The sound failed to manifest

Maybe "die down" or "subside"

Lessen.

The sound didn't lessen.

Beat me to it, buncha fags didnt even come up with this

The decibels did not decrease

I appreciate all of your answers but most of your answers are formal. I'd appreciate it if they were more informal for everyday conversations.

Let's say there's a guy named Bob. Bob is schizophrenic, he keeps hearing a ringing sound.

"I kept hearing this weird ringing, as if a phone was ringing right next to me. I walked away and the ringing didn't ____"

Implying that the ringing didn't lessen.

What would be the best way to word this? Informally, for everyday conversations.

I give up. Lessen is the best term. Are you just being obtuse or are you autistic?

Less formal- the noise shut the fuck down???

I'm abandoning thread.

I thought that damn sound was in the room but it was just as loud no matter where I wen and you just lost. It

"get quieter"

I am thinking this is retarded enough for you. What's going on anyway? Are we helping with your homework or something?

sputter out
spipple
trickle
spoop

I kept hearing this weird ringing, as if a phone was ringing right next to me. I walked away and the ringing didn't no ringing no more

The audible air vibrations did not lower in volume, and remained well perceivable

"The ringing didn't lessen"

It doesn't sound natural.

Kek

Well a ring isn't a natural sound

I kept hearing this weird ringing, as if a phone was ringing right next to me. I walked away and the ringing didn't quench

The ringing didn't stop. It countinued to be just as loud.

Your definition of formal is screwed up.

...stop?

I kept hearing this weird ringing, as if a phone was ringing right next to me, I have tinnitus

I kept hearing this weird sound, as if a phone was screaming OP IS A HUGE FAGGIT right next to me. I walked away and the screaming didn't stop.

The ringing didn't stop would imply it's still there but I want to be explicit by describing it's just as loud

disappear

I think saying the ringing didn't "stop" is good enough to get that point across.

The sound didn't drop, you mong

The sound didn't go away.

the ringing didn't relent?