Albums ruined by shitty mastering

The more famous, the better

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/QL02-hzYmEU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Pic related so fucking hard

Most 80s thrash metal albums I've heard have awful, tinny, bass-free mastering, and the remasters are garbage too, all smiley face EQ and excessive clipping. There are exceptions obviously, DCC did two early Metallica albums justice, but most of it just sounds like shit

living things is fucking great with its production / mixing / mastering what the fuck are you yapping about

It's too loud/noisy.

monster is the only song where it's really, really bad. seriously wtf was kanye thinking with the mastering on monster

Audiophile version of HM sounds fine desu

Imagine Dragons - Night Visions has the worst mastering I've ever heard, not even joking

I heard a theory that the shitty mastering actually makes the album seem more 'maximalist' because it all bleeds together (basically unintentional wall of sound)

Pretty much every King Gizzard album

>no In Utero
>no Pinkerton

>but user, those albums sound RAW
those albums sound like trash
i am not memeing here
having to put a disclaimer on In Utero to tell how to equalize your system is pretty much an official confirmation

It does.

sorry, forgot the pic

I'd never thought Playing The Angel was badly mastered but I'll probably notice it now.
Also if you're going to include "Origin of Symmetry" then also include "Absolution" because I'll be fucked if that's not some of the worst mastering I've ever heard. Hollow and muffled.

> In Utero
Which version? Original or 2013 mix? Because the latter is sweet.

Also what do you have against Steve Albini aesthetics?

> it all bleeds together
The only thing bleeding is my ears

I am talking original
I didn't knew they have released a remaster, i will definitely check that one out, lad

>steve albini

20th anniversary edition. There's whole different *mix* too.

Death Magnetic is definitely one of the most famous examples. Californication is probably the most infamous of all time though.

i am surely missing that one out

I wouldn't say ruined, because I still adore this album and the shitty mastering is part of the charm, but Shouso Strip is mastered L O U D. I have never heard an album as brickwalled as this.

why did you listen to it in the first place? fuck off weebabooo haha

I remember when I was still a kid only getting into music. Didn't know anything about things like mixing, mastering or compression. The first time I listened to Californication I thought my files were broken and I kept downloading new ones. It sounds like a low bitrate mp3 coming out of tiny speakers.

Twin Fantasy is a great album but the instruments can really bleed together and get kind of grating

puu sh/ws3bc mp3

just for reference here's what part of a remastered version might sound like

origin of symmetry and hesitation marks sound fine imo, not perfect but far from "ruined"

Listen to vinyl rips of these two albums to see the difference. In fact, almost always vinyl rips sound better not because of "muh warmth" but because there's no compression.

The difference in compression between CD and vinyl versions.

anything rick rubin touches

Can't hear any of the melodies - what were they thinking?

Can't believe no one's posted this yet. Might not be famous, but it sounds awful.

The stylistic fuzzy mastering on these albums are intentional, do you guys even listen to shoegaze?

I'M THE ONE WHO POSTED CERES & CALPYSO
IT'S TOO GODDAMN LOUD
SHIT IS COMPLETELY BRICKWALLED EVEN AT THE "QUIET" PARTS

they released album for vaccuming

I actually threw out a track today because while it was mastered already, I had to remaster the thing and since it was mastered twice there was some audible clipping, even though the waveform in audacity looked fine.

It's lucky that I had predicted this, so the part which I had to master in order to add to it, was mastered separately, so I just added that in and exported the track.

It was a joke you twat

Breeding the Spawn - Suffocation

Just listen

youtu.be/QL02-hzYmEU

isnt it supposed to sound like shit on purpose?

Give me a single Black Metal or Death Metal album with good mastering

> a single Black Metal or Death Metal album with good mastering

slow down

well that just sounds like shit because it is

yeah im pretty sure most of the vocals are fed through a guitar amp unless that was only a specific band that did that