Without Lou Reed, we wouldn't have punk rock. We wouldn't have The Sex Pistols, Black Flag, The Clash, Television...

>Without Lou Reed, we wouldn't have punk rock. We wouldn't have The Sex Pistols, Black Flag, The Clash, Television, Dead Kennedys, or Devo.

>Without punk rock, we wouldn't have post-punk. We wouldn't have Joy Division, The Cure, The Smiths, This Heat, Talking Heads, Wire, Gang of Four, Nick Cave, The Feelies, or Swans.

>Without post-punk, we wouldn't have alternative rock as it is today. We wouldn't have Pixies, Radiohead, Nirvana, Pavement, R.E.M, The Replacements, Nine Inch Nails, Cocteau Twins, or Weezer.

>Without alternative rock, you wouldn't have most indie rock as it is today. You wouldn't have Modest Mouse, Built to Spill, Pavement, The Strokes, Yo La Tengo, The Dismemberment Plan, Arctic Monkeys, Interpol, Deerhunter, or TV on the Radio.

>Without Lou Reed, we wouldn't have noise rock. We wouldn't have Sonic Youth, Big Black, The Jesus Lizard, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Fugazi, Boris, or Dinosaur Jr.

>Without noise rock, we wouldn't have shoegaze. We wouldn't have My Bloody Valentine, Ride, Slowdive, Galaxie 500, Flying Saucer Attack, or Have a Nice Life.

>This is the legacy Lou left behind.
Is this true?

Kinda but its oversimplification of alot

No, because it's without John Cale that we wouldn't have that, not Lou Reed.

And not a single fuck is given.

At least no good music is lost.

lol. your right. Chief Keef and Fetty Wap is where at. Fuck white men!

The Velvet Underground being influential on punk is a meme. They were influential on post-punk maybe but not actual punk.

>memerap is the only alternate to pop/rock
jfc this board

Without Heroin, they wouldn't have been inspired to make the music they did. Opiates are the real hero.

But school told me drugs are bad and are detrimental to your body.

>implying rock and hip hop are the only two types of music
your Sup Forums is showing

Yes, but only if you replace "Lou Reed" with "The Stooges"

>punk
Nah, The Stooges are responsible for this one.
>post-punk
For sure, depends on the band though. So probably most post-punk.
>alt/indie
Definitely, this is where TVU's influence mainly happened.
>noise rock
Maybe? Like yeah, there's Sister Ray and eventually MMM, but Keiji Haino is the first full on noise rock artist, he did it before MMM, and he never once cited TVU as his inspiration. But I think most western acts were influenced by MMM.
>shoegaze
It has its basis in the kind of proto-dream pop of The Beach Boys and Phil Spector.

Replace Lou with John Cale. Without Cale all of TVU&N would have been a bunch of poppy shit

>MMM
?

Without Heroin, Lou Reed would have just been talentless and not a talentless hack.

You need both to make it work. Cale's solo music is poppy also.

Cale produced The Stooges debut too

metal machine music

He also produced The Modern Lovers' debut. Oh, and made Paris 1919.

Oh. Ok. Thanks.

And Patti Smith's Horses

>The Stooges debut
Am I the only one who likes it more than Fun House and Raw Power? I love all of them but now that I think about it the production really makes the debut stand out.

97 Raw Power > debut > the rest

Nah. I'm with you.

>Am I the only one

no you fucking faggot

Lou did literally nothing of note, it's all John Cale (and Nico for avant-garde folk music)
Besides, all those genres would have formed anyway eventually, with or without TVU

This is true. The Velvet Underground would have been much folkier if John Cale wasn't pushing Lou in a more avant-garde direction

This is just some rockist idol worship built on the severely old-fashioned Great Man theory. Singling out one person as the origin of a slew of styles and movements is reductive to the point of absurdity. Reed was important, but only a part of a much larger cultural shift that was happening regardless.

>1967: music started

>Lou did literally nothing of note,

I don't know if I call writing the songs "literally nothing of note". Without Lou it would have just been a drone band without any songs and no one would listen to it. They both contributed equally, it's a band not a solo project.

On the other side are the repellent groans of male confessions: the dissolute effrontery, the throbbing addiction of Waiting For My Man, the first "Reedian" street poem, the supersonic boogie that for the first time experiments with the technique of pure percussion by all the instruments; the sadomasochist incubus in the Oriental gardens of Venus In Furs, one of the masterpieces of rock music, a lascivious madrigal that swings frightfully between life and death, the epic fatalism of Bob Dylan married to the moral decadence of film noir, both liberating cry and brutal physical abuse, a dark fresco of tormented libido sung by Reed in a desperate tone, accompanied by Cale's stiff viola longing to imitate the sound of bagpipes, set to the rhythm of Buddhist tom-toms in religious procession; the demonic chaos of Black Angel' s Death Song, an heretical litany declaimed by Reed in the style of the beatniks.