how good was he in his prime?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IwrstxuicZk
youtube.com/watch?v=yoykno9XUKI
youtube.com/watch?v=RN27demSPXg
youtube.com/watch?v=bMY6cqd8al0).
youtube.com/watch?v=7NSHXSBjZXo
knickerblogger.net/dirk-the-daring-defender/
espn.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4677951/theres-now-a-capital-d-in-dirk-nowitzki
nba.com/hoop/lowpost/dirk_nowitzki_is__great_defen_2011_05_10.html
basketball-reference.com/leaders/dws_career.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

best german, for sure

Dude, he revolutionized how big men are utilized in modern basketball. Absolute GOAT.

He was melo tier to be honest.

Incredible in the regular season and highly skilled but choked in the playoffs a couple of times, although the team around him wasn't that good. His 2011 playoff run really elevated him. He's the 2nd greatest international player and is a top 30 player all time

kys

He was almost as great as Dr J.

Who is the best international player?

dirk, kg, duncan. happy times.

Top 20 player all time for sure

Hakeem Olajuwon

I swear I've seen this same exact thread with the same exact posts before

Greatest player in the game for 3 years

Future HOFer

Hakeem

True, also the best player ever period

>NBA Finals MVP: 2011
>NBA Most Valuable Player: 2007
>13× NBA All-Star: 2002–2012, 2014–2015
>12× All-NBA Team: 2001–2012
>RANKED 6TH IN ALL-TIME SCORING
>Ranked 2ND in all-time NBA Finals free throw percentage
>82 consecutive free throws made (the third-longest streak of all-time)
>One of FOUR (4) players with an NBA Playoff career average of 25 ppg and 10 rpg (25.3 ppg, 10.0 rpg through 2016 postseason)
>One of seven members of the 50–40–90 club: 2007
>Holds the record for most free-throws made in a single playoff season with 205 free-throws made: 2006
>Dallas Mavericks all-time statistical leader in games, points, rebounds, field goals, three-point field goals and free throws

Literally LITERALLY Top 10 player in NBA History

>b-but you need to play defense and offensE to be Top 10

>RANKED 8TH IN ALL TIME DEFENSIVE REBOUNDS
>One of TWO (2) players with 150 three-pointers and 100 blocks in a single season: 2001
>One of THREE (3) players to surpass the mark of 1,000 in both three-pointers and blocks for the career
>One of TEN (10) players to surpass the marks of 25,000 in points and 10,000 in rebounds for the career

Based Fucking Dirk
Most Loyal
Most Clutch
Most Lovable

Dirk > Lebron > Kobe

Vlady Divac

He cucked LeBron's Big 3 Heat during their Championship run.

Top 15 all-timer for sure.

"GOAT" is an exaggeration, but Dirk is the best non-American player I've ever seen in my life (Olajuwon was probably better, but I was born after he won his titles).

He's also just an all-around cool dude. People in Dallas/Ft.Worth basically consider him a Texan, which speaks volumes about how likable he is. Literally every basketball fan in America was happy when he beat Lebron/Wade/Bosh (except the Miami people, I guess).

youtube.com/watch?v=IwrstxuicZk

youtube.com/watch?v=yoykno9XUKI

0:22

"What's her name?"
"Uhhhhhh......Dirk?"

youtube.com/watch?v=RN27demSPXg

Changed the game forever
If you play 4 and can't shoot you're not gonna make the league anymore. His 1 leg fade away is also a host trademark that everybody tries to incorporate in their game now

this

Shit, I never thought about that. Being able to shoot as the 4 basically became mandatory after Dirk showed up. If you can't shoot, you better be a D Jordan/Howard-tier rebounder or a Prime Noah-tier defender otherwise you're fucked.

>asking shit in Sup Forums
>not actually watching the man tonight being clutch as fuck

He's kind of past it at this point. Like he's still good enough to be a pro, but we're kind of memorializing MVP-tier Dirk.

in his prime when he was on, nearly an impossible to stop offensive player.

He made me love basketball. In a see of darkness he was my white knight. I hate mark cuban though

Overrated meme. Bynum tier

>shitskin detected

I quit watching basketball for years until the 2011 playoffs and goddamnit this man was unstoppable that postseason. One of my favorite players of all time.

This is why you're okay sometimes Zangief. You know the true GOAT.

>>muh great white hope

Is it weird to be white and not automatically feel this way?

I mean, Dirk was damn good and actually underrated as fuck, but I enjoyed watching players like Shaq way more desu

Kys

Kys

Not a top ten guy but maybe he sneaks in the top 25 all time?
In 2011 he was definitely the best player in the league by a long shot and is 2nd or 3rd in international ranking all time, depending on how you feel about Steve Nash.

Lebron >Kobe
Kys

He enriched the Anglo infested shithole known as America with superior German, African and Viking genes
and some Slav genes too I guess

Nope, you revisionist faggot, Garnett and Duncan did that. They were also much better defenders than Dirk.

See this and just shut up.

hush miroslav and go tend to the black man who is raping your wife

Given the direction the NBA is going, we will likely never see a single player drag a team to a chip like he did, sure Lebron did a lot last year, but it was nothing compared to Dirk's entire run.

>who are Kevin Garnett, Karl Malone, Kevin McHale, James Worthy, Otis Thorpe, Charles Barkley, Elvin Hayes, Bob Pettit and many others?

Dirk was a shit defender so his army of fanboys had to hang onto "le stretch 4" meme like he was the first ever PF who could shoot threes and mid-rangers. Get shagged.

Ironic, coming from a guy whose country is at least 45% shitskin and darker.

kys

Charley Barkley and Karl Malone, the ultimative 3-point sharp shooters.

Off yourself

Dražen Petrović

Duncan > Malone > Garnett > Nowitzki > Barkley

Good for a full blooded white. His children will be better though because his wife is black.

Look, Dirk's got that magical 2011 under his belt, that's more than clear, but the "he did it alone" meme needs to die in fire. To fit the narrative, people conveniently forget the monstrous clamp bros that were Chandler and Marion. Jason Terry scored 18 PPG including that insane clutch 3 that destroyed LeBum (youtube.com/watch?v=bMY6cqd8al0). Jason Fucking Kidd was god-tier from the bench. In fact, I remember being more happy for Marion and Kidd winning the chip than for Dirk. Revisionists can sod off, the Mavs had a fantastic chemistry that year.

I bet you never really saw dirk in his physical prime. He wasn't just a stretch 4 he really was playing like a 7 foot guard. He maybe didn't play above the rim, but he was extremely mobile and had great handles.

youtube.com/watch?v=7NSHXSBjZXo

If you watch how he played at the hoop summit you can see over and over again how he basically grabs the rebound, runs the break on his own, attacks the rim and gets the freethrow, which he sinks like a robot.

He wasn't just the PF who had a good jumper he really was the prototype of modern big men like Davis, KAT, Porzingis or Cousins, at least ten years before they entered the league.

And if you think about how modern NBA offenses work, with all their ball movement and off-ball movement, you would know how important it is to be mobile and have a quick jumper especially in catch & shoot situations. He really was ahead of his time. Maybe he is not the best player of the last 25 years but surely the most influential.

Btw Dirk's defense during his prime wasn't as bad as people want us to think. His reputation suffered from the time he had to play with Nash coached by Don Nelson. After Avery Johnson took over the Mavs Dirk wasn't just an above average defender he actually was pretty good at defense. Maybe not a rim protector but a great team and post defender who knew how to utilise his game iq and experience.

knickerblogger.net/dirk-the-daring-defender/
espn.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4677951/theres-now-a-capital-d-in-dirk-nowitzki
nba.com/hoop/lowpost/dirk_nowitzki_is__great_defen_2011_05_10.html

Dirk has also more defensive win shares than kobe, who made it into 12 all-defensive teams.

basketball-reference.com/leaders/dws_career.html

None of those guys could shoot like dirk

Dirk fucked garnett every single year