Is David Lynch an overrated hack or am I just retarded?

Is David Lynch an overrated hack or am I just retarded?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kB8tjaSN-2w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I hate his "movies" too.

Don't worry user, it's both.

He is good, you aren't retarded you just need to watch his films more closely.

He's not a hack but he is overrated. And, yes, you are retarded.

I didn't like it either

mulholland drive and wild are heart are ok

He isn't very good.

That's what your mom said when you were born.

Henry was misunderstood.

DUDE FEAR OF PARENTHOOD ALLEGORY LMAO

no. yes.

Retarded symbolism the movie

he is an overrated hack with a stupid haircut.

>It's another Sup Forums users who have no idea start memeing again episode.

I fucking hate how desperate to be contrarian moden Sup Forums is. Eraserhead is fucking great. Just because the intentions of the allegory weren't hidden behind 8 levels of satire and "complexity like Inception, doesn't make it "retarded".

It has revolutionary practical effects for the time, it has a genuinely disturbing atmosphere, great sound design, and its incredibly memorable. All in a time when a movie like this was almost unthinkable in the film industry.

he's 70 years old and I would bet substantial amounts of money that he has better hair than you

>its a tv still dont know how to think for themselves thread again

i can think for myself. I think David Lynch is an old, overrated hack with a shitty emo haircut

>overrated
you are just proving my point. Did you overrate him? Or someone else.

He's rated highly by many people, i disagree with those people thus think he's "over-rated", and that he also has a shitty hair cut.
It's not rocket science.

How is that proving you're point? You didn't even make a point, just some greentext bullshit.

>a '20something baldlet is buttmad that a 70 year old has better hair than he does' post

I would say David Lynch is trying to copy David Cronenberg's material and style.

>he thinks someone has bad hair, so he must have bad hair himself!

wew lad

thing is, Lynch has literally perfect hair
t. /fa/

Yes.

I told you you cant think. Then you wrote the overrated thing plus some completely unrelated things like his age or personal appearance, was he old when he made Eraserhead?. My point was you didnt judge his movies based on your judgement instead you compared your experience of watching his movie with "many people"'s opinon

if simply being a contrarian and using memes was a valid way to make apoint, you'd have knocked it outta the park!

Uh, no i think you're projecting. I saw his movies, thought it was shit.
Just like i saw his hair, and thought it was shit.
Pretty straightforward. You're just trying to sound smart.
But it's not working.

How weak is your argument that you first mention his haircut before any of his work

Name a movie, and reasons why you think it's overrated. Then people will take your argument seriously.

Is it really this hard?

Whose arguing? I'm stating my opinion, which is that i think his work is shit, and he has a shit haircut.

Why are you so triggered by the fact that i don't like his hair? lol

Thinking his movies are shit and saying he is overrated are two different things kiddo

I think his movies are shit, all of them. Not interested in arguing with some pseudo-intelletual fat/tv/irgin about why my opinion is "wrong".
Yes, and i think both. I think his movies are shit, and he is over rated, little buddy.

Kek.
>Makes assumption that I'm a fat virgin to make himself feel better.
>Can't even back up his "opinion" with the most basic of reasons
>Remains condescending
Why even come in this thread then. Better yet, why are you even on this board, since you haven't made a single film argument yet. Just insults to his hair.

But you are a fat virgin, aren't you?

You haven't made any arguments either, just greentexted, posted lame may mays and been a contrarian, which, in your mind evidently forms the basis of a "good argument".

And i came to this thread because this is an "is david lynch over rated" thread, not a "David lynch circlejerk" thread. If all YOU wanna do is circlejerk and get upset with people who don't agree with you, why not go back to/reddit/?

Also, why are you so upset that i don't like his hair?

Heres an idea- about you hold yourself to the same standards and start posting all the reasons why you think his films are so amazing? No? Didn't think so.

What are you talking about? I posted Eraserhead is one of my favourite movies.

Also I'm not the user that you started the argument with. I was just calling you out because the words "overrated" and "shit" aren't arguments. They're buzzwords. And insulting his hair isn't an argument either.

>And i came to this thread because this is an "is david lynch over rated" thread
You should at least be able to defend your point of view user, this is getting embarrassing.

The predominant critical response to David Lynch’s Lost Highway was that it
is a cold post-modern exercise in regressing to the scenes of primal anxieties as
codified in the imagery of noir, with, as James Naremore put it succinctly, “no
other purpose than regression. . . . Thus, for all its horror, sexiness, and formal
brilliance, Lost Highway remains frozen in a kind of cinematheque and is
just another movie about movies.”’ This reaction emphasizing
the thoroughly
artificial, “intertextual,” ironically cliched nature of Lynch’s universe -was, as
a rule, accompanied by the opposite New Age reading, which focused on the
flow of subconscious Life Energy that allegedly connects all events and runs
through all scenes and persons, turning Lynch into the poet of a Jungian universal
subconscious spiritualized Libido.2 Although this second reading is to
be rejected (for reasons that will be elaborated later), it nonetheless scores a
point against the notion of Lynch as the ultimate deconstructionist ironist in
that it correctly insists that there is a level at which Lynch’s universe is to be
taken thoroughly seriously --the only problem is that it misperceives this level.
Recall the final ecstatic rapture, after her brutal rape and murder, of Laura
Palmer in Fire Walk with Me; or Eddy’s outburst of rage against the driver on
behalf of the need to follow the “fucking rules” in Lost Highway; or the oftenquoted
conversation in Blue Velvet between Jeffrey and Sandy, after Jeffrey
returns from Dorothy’s apartment, in the course of which Jeffrey, shattered
and deeply disturbed, complains, “Why are there people like Frank? Why is
there so much trouble in this world?” and Sandy responds by telling him of
a good omen in her dream about robins who bring light and love to a dark
world - in a paradigmatically post-modern way, these scenes are simultaneously
comical, provoking laughter; unbearably naive; and yet to be taken thoroughly
seriously.

Why are you embarrassed? I don't feel embarrassed.

And essentially saying words you don't like aren't "real words" is pretty lame.

Don't know what you expect. I think Lynch is shit, i think his films are shit, and i think he has shit hair.

They're my opinions. I don't feel the need to "defend" them, and I'm certainly not gonna go and write a big essay on it like this guy, just to appease some fa/tv/irgins.

lol, baka

muh big essays

In heaven everything is fine. And that's all you need to know, OP

I think its fair to say, user, that at this point you should be embarrassed.

I think that after this many posts without giving a single reason why you don't like Eraserhead, despite many people asking you about it, means that you can't defend your opinion.

And I think the fact that despite that you're still here after 30 minutes means you do care what Sup Forums thinks, and you're desperately trying to save face.

So here's an out for you user. Just admit that you don't know why you don't like Lynch, effectively making your argument meaningless, and you can go.

None of us will think any the less of you.

>DUDE "EDGY CONTRARIAN OPINIONS THAT WILL HOPEFULLY MAKE PEOPLE THINK I KNOW BETTER MOVIES" LMAO
You "patricians" are embarrassing.

why do you 2 have the same text alignment. are you cucking yourself?

You're just pleb. The cure for that is to watch at least 20 cinema from this list. You'll be patrician in no time.

None of you have said anything substantial either. Just disagreed with what i have said, yet somehow think you're superior for doing so.
And this guy, just went and copied a whole page from a book by Slavoj Zizek and tried to pass it off as his own.

And as i said, i don't think this is an argument. In you're mind, maybe you are winning some kind of argument, if that's the case then hey, good for you, buddy.

I'm just saying i think Lynch is shit and he has shit hair.

Why does this upset you? Are you his hairdresser or something?

my god you are stupid. i havent been on Sup Forums for 5 years but the influx of stupid people is awful

eraserhead didn't age well

Does calling other people stupid make you feel smart, user? That's like, playground-tier stuff, resorting to name calling as some sort of last act of desperation.

Pretty lame desu.

Neither. His movies aren't for everybody. It's not that 'only smart people understand it' or anything, it's just that the brand of surrealism he makes is not appealing to everyone.

His movies are abstract. He attaches his own meaning to them and allows others to interpret his work anyway they want. And while he does often put clever and intentional metaphors, he heavily relies on improvising. He films what's in his head, and sometimes he knows what it means and sometimes he's filming it merely because it feels right. So the result is films that rely on picking up certain feelings rather than the standard 'is the acting/dialogue/writing/cinematography good?' judgements. And not everybody gets it. And that's not a bad thing and I'm not trying to sound elitist. It just works for some and doesn't work for others.

It's the same reason why The Shining will be incredibly disturbing for some and then incredibly boring to others.

He makes interesting films. If you're watching him to get some sort of spiritual breakthrough that will change your grasp of art and life you're gonna be disappointed. Come with the right attitude and know what to expect, that being weird dreamlike shit and some unexpected plot developments, and you'll be very satisfied.

You're just completely ignoring still.

I don't think I'm superior, but its showing that you don't actually have that any intelligent points to make about the movie. And yet you've probably racked up the highest post count.

If you said "Too much of the movie's meaning lies in the abstract" or "Lynch's ego sometimes leads him to jerk himself off in some scenes" I'd have accepted. You are an idiot who thinks "It's shit" trumps any discussion. I do think this is an argument, because when two people with conflicting ideas talk about them it turns into an argument. Unfortunately you don't know how to have a good one.

No i just gave my opinion, and you want to have some big pissing match because i didn't write up some big, pretentious explanation justifying why.

You're so emotionally invested in this whole back and forth, you're throwing out insults and calling me names and insisting that we are arguing.

I don't think we're arguing, i just think you're upset about something. And you've worked yourself up.

Maybe you should have a nap and calm down.

youtube.com/watch?v=kB8tjaSN-2w

You're deflecting me again. I'm clearly not worked up. I don't need a big, pretentious explanation. I just need one grounded reason why David Lynch is "shit". Name a movie and name its flaws.

Nailed it. He makes movies the way he feels like making them. It's the feel of the movie not the particular crafting of said movie that leaves his mark.

NO TOUCHING OF THE HAIR OR FACE

This was much better than I expected.

Don't spread our memes.

I liked the video, though.

RADIATOR NICE AND HOT

please make that Jenna video