Post 9/11

I was born in early 1998 and because of that I don't remember 9/11 or a world before it. I've talked to people older than me that remember it, but they never really get into why they think everything is different now. I don't know anything else.

How is everything different, and, if it isn't, in what ways is it different, if at all?

Other urls found in this thread:

freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/636716/posts
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>underage kids born in 98 can post here legally now

There was still hope.

Less paranoia. This whole "people are out to get you" boogeyman that runs rampant nowadays wasn't as big of a problem as it is nowadays.

DEPRESSING

I remember what the world was like before people could dial 911 in emergencies.

>How is everything different
Nothing. They just had to get people willing to accept a decade-long war in the middle east for no particular reason other than the oil. Terrorism was a hard sell. So they had to push it hard.

You can kill yourself

politics didn't seem as important
security was hardly talked about
paranoia and suspicion a lot lot lower
Muslims were not a threat
We had no NSA spying/internet censorship
terrorism as a word, was rarely heard

Shit was lit back then senpai. Then the Arabs started getting uppity. Had to whoop some ass. We got a kickass deal on the heroin market too. All in all, 10/10 would live again

After the fall of the Soviet Union, and the epic ass stomping in Iraq, we were invincible. There was a Starbucks Trek TNG type of shiny outlook on the future. The economy was raging, you could quit a job and find another for better pay by the end of the day.

We had real anonymity.

People saw pussies for the first time irl, and not online and actually got to see what happens.

It was the golden age.

>kids born after the internet was commonplace can now post here

>muslims were not a threat
>terrorism as a word was rarely heard

topjej

>come back home from school
>mom watching news about 9/11
>"son they are killing buildings using planes"

Forgot pic

18 isn't underage, buddy.

from a western perspective yeah

in b4 we have always been at war with eurasia

>everything changed
total meme

Shit was shitty then and shitty now. Cops were dicks then, and are dicks now. Wages were shit then and are shittier now. We fucked around in the middle east then, and we fuck around now.

Nothing changed
>muh TSA

>implying that oil wouldn't have been on the market without the wars

Petroleum industry is crashing due to excess supply. Countries which depend on petroleum are going hungry due to plummeting prices. Iraq and Afghanistan are both insignificant producers of west-consumed energy.

>but what about libya
Blame Hillary Clinton instead of shilling for her. She was USA's chief diplomat at the time.

You just blew my mind. I am also
of an age where the first pussy I saw was IRL.
Never crossed my mind, but holy fuck you're right: kids now see pussy online long before they really see it.

That's fucking depressing as shit senpai.

And autistic as shit on my part that I never thought of that.

>in b4 we have always been at war with eurasia

No fool, we were always at war with eastasia.

poo bantz are becoming exponentially more hilarious.

keep up the good work pajeet, i'll stop making loo jokes soon as you're Australia tier.

It was back in my day.

>excess supply
Because prices went lower. The oil produces have always been trying to limit production and control the prices. Iraq had some power there.
But the most important thing was the currency the oil was sold for.
The USD is basically oil-backed now.
Iraq had already started selling it for Euros more and more and they wanted to use it exclusively eventually.

This.
>'91 here

In the US. This is spot on. Plus no wars. The stock market was soaring. The economy was as great as it ever was. Everyone loved us. Dot com millionaires were being made left and right. The internet was booming. The world was one. Everyone was engaged in one big bro hug. Then 9/11 hit. And Bush and the Iraq war. And all this shit.

And don't forget that before 9/11 jet fuel could melt steel beams. Among many other changes to physical and constitutional laws.

Yep also passports began to be made a lot better in order to survive aforementioned steel melting fires

The approved narrative: After the Cold War ended, the average American did not perceive any major international threat. With 9/11, they started to think, "Oh, there are people out there who want to kill us." Islamic terrorism had not been on most Americans' radar. (There was some here and there, but people didn't think much of it, in part because the press didn't play it up.) 9/11 was the "wake-up call."

Practically the day after 9/11, talking heads were going in about a "post-9/11 world." The content of that phrase hadn't yet been determined (or it wasn't evident, anway), but the meme stuck, and here we are.

Anyway, instead of locking cockpit doors, the US government ramped up the surveillance state, the destabilization of the Middle East, and the mass importation of Muslims. In a way, that's what the "post-9/11 world" has become. There was some of that stuff before, but we've gotten a lot more. There were stupid immigration policies before that. Saudi Arabia was (and, after a years-long pause, still is) in our fast-track visa program, which is how most of the attackers got in. Now current policy is, in addition to all of the old bad ones, to bring in tens of thousands of "Syrian" "refugees," primarily Muslims. And George H.W. Bush, although he fought against Iraq, didn't go in; Clinton lobbed missiles; but George W. Bush went hog wild, and Obama after him.

9/11 provided an opportunity for the neocons really to take hold of the American foreign policy establishment and fight endless wars in the Middle East that don't do anything for the American people except get some killed and put the rest of us in greater debt to fund it all.

The American people had built themselves a bubble, blissfully ignorant of the outside world.

The middle class had isolated themselves to suburbia. Poor people were occupying their time by listening to nirvana, pearl jam and shooting heroin. Rich people were counting their shekels.

Then pop.

Also it should be noted it happened during an early stage of the age of information, affordable computers and easy internet access had a much larger effect on the populace. 911 happened at such a pivotal time and had a widespread influence on the mindset of people entering the information age.

91 here, I had never heard of Islam.

>in b4 the video shot at 3AM in a 7/11 near Disney World in the late 80s.

Pretty dull. We've finally gotten back to warring

I lost the screenap, but i remember a brit saying in one of these threads

>be me
>be september 11, 2001
>walk downstairs to family watching the second plane hit the WTC
>"Which Die Hard movie is this?"

I was born in 97 and I have no clue how, but I had no clue 9/11 happened until I was in like 3rd grade. It's like I was just stoned throughout my early childhood.

Shitlibs were reaching critical mass. It's not often recalled or talked about now, but anarchists, communists, and assorted leftist dregs were organizing huge protests and Seattle burned.

Then 9/11 happened and those kids all became patriotic Americans overnight and joined the Army to remove kebab. The rest you know.

Shitlibs in the second half of Obama's presidency have only now begun to recover their momentum. 9/11 redpilled liberals for 12 years, and what you see now are the ones who didn't have developed brains that entire time so they don't know any better.

Wow, you really nailed it with this one. Poetic history that will echo for centuries to come.

As you mature, you will come to recognize that "big events" are macro reflections of micro conditions in society.

When JFK was assassinated, the shadow government was on a murdering rampage all throughout the country. The McCarthy stuff you might learn about in school is small beans. Any smart, educated, charismatic person was always subject to assassination lest they become political opposition.

There was a growing backlash in the 90s. Counter-culture took off again. There are iconic representations of this like Rage Against the Machine playing illegal concerts on Wall Street. You're young enough to think the 2008 bailout was some big shocking surprise, financial elites suddenly took over. But, no, bubbling rage was in the streets 10 years earlier. And even 50 years before. But the government pulls stunts like 9/11 to justify their rampage against the citizens as necessary.

9/11 represents one in a long series of representative events of government taking a strong, overt fascist stance against mankind, freedom, liberty, expression of art, and love, and all that is good.

It's an old story, but also hugely transformational every time something like this goes down (and the wave of actions that the singular event brings with it).

Thanks Muhammad

One of the biggest changes, imo, is the way in which Politicians appealed to the public.

Pre 9/11, western politicians appealed to people's desires, dreams, and generally ran on a basis of wanting to make the world a better/more advanced place. Or at least that was the illusion, and it was intact.

Fast forward to the current decade, where politicians are primarily seen as those who can protect and shelter us from evil..

In summary, politics has become a lot more negative, and has transitioned from a system that claimed to improve our lives and give us more opportunity, to one that will shelter us from evil and protect the opportunities we currently have.

Before 9/11 I remember when we never talk about Muslims or terrorism.

After 9/11 we still don't talk about Muslims or terrorism.

Well I guess nothing change for us. :-)

1991, never heard of the middle east it was just known as Aladdin land to me.

>be 7
>hear about 9/11 like a week later cause no one gives a shit about american news
>w/e
>go play lego

Security is higher and there is a greater distrust of Islamic people, that's pretty much it.

Not to mention the 2 wars fought in the Middle East,

Hopefully these grills don't camwhore.

Yeah, I remember pre911 world to be very happy and safe. After 911, everything just changed.

People were more scared and violent ever since. I was 9 when it happened.

I wish I could turn back time and watch it again. That plane hitting the tower still looks fucking cool!

>mfw there used to be and probably still is an al-qaeda recruitment mosque 10 minutes from me

I was in School in Germany (British Military School) and they wheeled in a TV then sent us all home.

I spent the rest of the day watching the news. I will admit I was more interested in the pentagon than the WTC, I was confused why coverage was minimal

Not really

9-11 was not an inside job; it was a horrible act of terror that the government exploited to the hilt to prop up George W Bush's presidency and basically give the GOP a blank check to do whatever they wanted. Which included the Iraq War.

Not really; Bush stealing the election in 2000 knocked the sails out of liberalism, especially since one of the reasons Bush was able to steal the election, was due to Gore/Lieberman running a center-right campaign that was near identical to what Bush was wanting.

Bush was flailing about though and it was considered a strong likelihood he would not have much of a chance to win in 2004.

9-11 was basically a horrific nightmare for the nation, but it basically saved Bush from being a one term wonder. He was quick to exploit it to crush opposition and bring liberals to kneel before him and the neocon machine. But he overplayed his hand with the Iraq War and his mishandling of Katrina.

You must live up north in Gasolinehuffistania, I was in HS in Nova Scotia and it was everywhere for weeks.

dude lmao a leaf

>was due to Gore/Lieberman running a center-right campaign
Was due to Nader being a faggot third party. That 2.7% draw would have tipped it for Gore

He's not your buddy, guy.

Born 1989

I was around 10 when it happened. The world was much like it was in 2016, but people were more looking forward to the turn of the century. It was all about "looking forward.", "maybe the future will be better." There was a mild sense of optimism, maybe a little bit of wonder. The internet was still not as big as it was today. The 90s were all about exploring identity.

Basically, right after 9/11 - America was pissed. They were united more so than today. I remember muslims were shitting their pants. The imagery of the attack was so graphic lot of people angrily supported invading the middle east. The wars kind of turned peoples plans upside-down.

It was kind of like being raped.

>Then 9/11 happened and those kids all became patriotic Americans overnight and joined the Army to remove kebab. The rest you know.

Leftists remained leftists. The rubble was still smoking and people were talking about how Americans were responsible. "What did we do to make them do this?" and so on. Leftists expressed concerns about profiling Arabs at airports, so searches were made at "random" so TSA agents could molest grandma and scrutinize little kids.

Even the president refused the red pill. George W. Bush wouldn't shut up about how Islam is a religion of peace, blah blah blah. Basically the same rhetoric we get from Obama. Bush during his presidential run had even criticized profiling Arabs at airports. Didn't budge on this even after 9/11.

Everyone went along with attacking Afghanistan, because they were angry and figured something had to be done. Then there was pushback against going into Iraq for various reasons, one being that some time had passed and everyone cooled down, in particular the left. The patriotic hug-fest was over by 2003.

my name is john

>George W. Bush wouldn't shut up about how Islam is a religion of peace, blah blah blah.

Muslims were a big force in getting him elected, that's likely part of why.

>leftists are the reason why we have the TSA harassing everyone

No, that is stupid and revisionist. So i'm guessing the NSA spying on non muslims is the fault of leftists also?

muh taliban government was a pretty weak excuse for the invasion, as somebody who went to Afghanistan I can confirm that nobody had any idea of why we were there

user's right though, there was whining about profiling Mudslimes getting on airplanes right after we got attacked by Mudslimes crashing hijacked airplanes into buildings.

Didn't say that. We have the TSA because of Bush and his gang. The TSA doesn't profile, however, because of PC concerns, usually pushed by the left but also accepted among many of the establishment right.

Yes it was. In the 90s we had the rise of anti government militias who used the Turner Diaries as some sort of bible, Timothy McVeigh, Waco, Jonestown, shit like that.

Jew Yorker here. If anything, 9/11 made New York a better place for a little bit. For the next few months after 9/11, we all felt a connection to each other. Everyone in the city was mourning and because of that, they were willing to show affection and compassion to each other. For that few months, the "New York asshole" stereotype died. Of course, people got over it eventually and things went back to normal. Add in a little more paranoia and that brings us to today. It wasn't all that different back then, though. The whole "pre-9/11 perfect world" meme needs to die. New York sucked back then and it sucks now.

Hell I'm 28 and have still yet to see it.

Same shit here. Just everyone began to realise there is something like terrorism in the world.

I was 13 when it happened. From my perspective the world seemed like a much more innocent place before 9/11. War wasn't on my radar. I didn't even know what a Muslim was until the last school year when we first learned about it. I can tell you that in the months following, everybody wanted blood. We wanted to annihilate those goat fuckers. I even suggested in my English class that we just nuke Afghanistan and turn it into a giant lake. I remember seeing American flags everywhere, people had them on cars, etc, anywhere. It was unreal. Political correctness flew out the window. Once we went into Iraq, that's when shit really hit the fan.

Ask yourselves how long that would have lasted? I don't doubt that there was a leftist outcry, but to think the NSA would budge because of what some leftists say..

If you only suspect one nationality/identity as being a terrorist, how long till the would be terrorists change up? Come on now..

Try to understand, since the invention of radio and television mass media has ruled the world. If uou controlled the mefa uou controlled the world.

Art music politics morality was all more or less dictated by a single source. TV. Thus the term "mainstream"

With the invention of of the internet the grasp started to break. People had more options than ever for news and culture. This is "called" the dismeniation of information". And information is power.

So nineties counter culture was finally putting the nail in the coffin of mainstream media, we thought we could finally take on the military industrial complex...but then 9/11 happened, Tv rating spiked but have never again gotten anywhere near that panic filled weak.

If you look at it objectively, as a culture war, you kind of understand how people can construe 911 as an inaide job...although tits mostly irellevant now.

Because what did happen is people saw the media manipulated and milked this tragedy. They saw how less than a day later commercials for drugs and coca cola resumed like business as usual. Mainstream media had no idea what to do. And this when people start to turn to fox news, or stormfront or whatever could offer them those goodtime feels they were used to.

But we know theres no going back. And you milennials...for all your faults, for all your social justice bullshit...you do posess one special talent:most of you are very good at smelling bullshit because you grew up in it. You millenials have your choice of news outlets and media info thanks to the internet. You have the freedom and the power to choose to make things better or worse.

Us gen x-ers amd boomers have no choice. We are more vulnerable amd suseptable to the lies and infowars...It is my personal wish that you use that power to preserve freedom of speech and individuality, but in the end we will fade and this world and your kind will be all that is left in it.

Its a more shitty violent world with lots off heroin being shipped by the cia to america

Guns and butter. We were making more butter.

At school we would fantasize that we would get nuked or that the US would nuke by Afghanistan. We had no one no idea what was going on, of course. But then again no one did. It it was chaos.

>tfw terrorists aren't Irish anymore

I can't remember anyone feeling one way or another about war in the ME, I think most just accepted it as an inevitability. Although I was in a military environment so my pool of experience is biased

>this

I use to draw a lot in school and one of my characters was the "friendly terrorist"

Green jumpers, Black Balaclava and an Irish accent

I'm not your guy, friend.

>Political correctness flew out the window.

Maybe for some, but in the halls of power it was all too present:

>In early December [2001], "60 Minutes" host Steve Kroft interviewed [Bush Transportation Secretary Norman] Mineta about his dogged refusal to permit an extra check of people who look like the next and last 50 terrorists.
>Kroft noted that of 22 people on the most-wanted list right now: "[A]ll but one of them has complexion listed as olive. They all have dark hair and brown eyes. And more than half of them have the name Mohammed." (They are also all males in their 20s and 30s.) Thus, he asked Mineta if such people should be subjected to a little extra scrutiny. "No," Mineta responded, "not just on that basis alone."
>Other more important factors, Mineta explained, included asking "things like, 'Did you pay cash for this ticket or charge it on a credit card? Do you have a one-way ticket or a round-trip?'"
>Inasmuch as this was Steve Kroft and not Diane Sawyer conducting the interview, there was a relevant follow-up question: "Did the terrorists who flew into the World Trade Center have one-way tickets?" No, Mineta admitted, the Sept. 11 hijackers all had round-trip tickets they bought with credit cards.

freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/636716/posts

The government response to 9/11 was horrible. We could have locked cockpit doors, maybe even armed pilots, and banned Muslim immigration. But no, let's go on being PC and destroy the Middle East.

>How is everything different,

Before 9/11, SJWs didn't exist.

We should just glass the whole damned region and be done with it. Fuck em.

I am just against these left wing jackoffs as you are. Being from a divorce family caused me to become very fucking jaded at society.

I don't know whether to feel sorry for you kids or to be mildly jealous.

You will never know how great things were, how great they could have been... The boundless optimism... Before 9/11, Enron, and the dotcom bubble bursting. It was a different world. But, having never known that world, you do not know the depression of having it all taken away. This present dystopia, for you, is normal.

For those of us who are older it is like a bad dream, a nightmare from which we cannot wake.

t. 1984

How prophetic my year of birth.

>but to think the NSA would budge because of what some leftists say

TSA. And yes, this is literally how government agencies make policy. We often bend over backwards for a fraction of a percent of the population. Don't get me wrong, a lot of establishment-right people go along with it, but that's largely because they're pushovers.

That's a lie

before 9/11 we basically had 100% controlled mainstream media and very little else

9/11 coincided with the rise of the internet, and therefore alternate news sources which give credence to the kinds of issues that SJW advocate, which were suppressed before the internet

casual flights were a thing

So uh...how do you guys feel that in 3 years time kids born after 9/11 will be able to legally post on Sup Forums?

Are these kids gonna shit up Sup Forums?

The children are the future.

halifax??

Way north, but not Cape Breton north,

90s were amazing

this century is a fucking cancer

You know that annoying scrolling text at the bottom of every news channel? That's a post-9/11 development. A lot of people were glued to their TVs wanting constant updates. The news channels obliged with the scrolling text—in addition to the typical talking heads giving breaking news, etc.

That scrolling text used to be about trying to find people in the World Trade Center rubble, stuff like that. Now it's about McDonald's new chicken mcnuggets.

>You know that annoying scrolling text at the bottom of every news channel? That's a post-9/11 development.

Footage prior the event has the ticker, you know?

They've always been used at different times for different reasons, to give updates for something important at the moment. But they were never omnipresent. After 9/11, they never went away.

Fuckin kids... I was born in the 60s. Before 911, the government did not seem like a real threat. Now... Its a perpetual 1984.
Overall, people in america are just as fucking retarded as they were back then.

very interesting, i guess it was the beginning of the 24 hr news cycle too?

>Sup Forums
>Not already shitted up
I swear its like youve never met an australian.

Fair enough. I just remember it being a constant feature on CNN Headline News.

>tfw that's how you used to have to follow happenings.

The world has changed completely and for the worst. The thing with going down the road of lies and rhetoric is that it changes in bearly noticable increments. I rememember when terrorists where the butt of jokes in movies and we have objectively reported news... more nuanced and for example there where freedom fighters. life was oppermistic, we felt great so we didn't see this bullshit coming (included 3rd wave marxist sjw but that's something else). basically the powers.. goverment and business became corrupt. language changed, news became propagandistic, liberties where taken. now we have constant war and 'terror' as a the norm. seriously if you have nothing to compare it to you have no idea just how bad it is, you just accept this horrible reality as normal. born 81.

I was 7 and the phone went off at like 5 or 6 AM and It was my aunt calling my mom to turn on the TV. I got up with them and watched as the second plane hit. I remember thinking it was a really shitty accident while my parents went nuts. My mom worked in a high rise Vancouver at the time and said everyone was on edge the whole day. It's pretty cool to think that i got to see the event that has shaped the world i was raised in.

Oh, good point. Headline News had a lot of stuff on the screen back then. I should have been more clear that I'm talking about the news ticker seen on every news channel practically as a given.

They hadnt crashed the economy, flooded us with mexicans or implemented the police state