So, Sup Forums, do you play the only non-degenerate game in the world? What is your play style...

So, Sup Forums, do you play the only non-degenerate game in the world? What is your play style? What are your favorite openings?

Other urls found in this thread:

lichess.org/eWLGqNN8
youtube.com/watch?v=9IYRC7g2ICg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I play connect four.

>So, Sup Forums, do you play the only non-degenerate game in the world?
Yes

>What is your play style?
Engineer

>What are your favorite openings?
Sentry on last

Do you mind showing me some simple shit to get better? I always played casually against my grandfather.

My opening move was moving a pawn up two so I can get a bishop out quick.

I am noob.

It's extremely degenerate. Chess players are worse than WoW players. It's just straight memorization and no creativity or strategy. Just memorize ways other people did things, and re-enact verse someone else doing the same thing.

Chess is already solved.

Games are for children.

Yes, I play.

When white, I usually play the Queen's Gambit.

When black, I play the Sicilian Defense whenever I get the chance.

Or if white plays the Queen's pawn opening, I play the Nimzo Indian when black.

I play but I am by no means a good player. I typically open up with the horses, bring up the sides into a V shape so I can bring out the popes and then just wait.

Yes.

Pick a pawn and move it two, or move a knight.

>What are your favorite openings
HR positions are nice, I can also do management.

Can someone teach me how to actually play chess?

>playing gay sex with hats
>current year
ahmed pls

lichess.org/eWLGqNN8

Play me if you dare

As if chess has been "solved" lmao. Even the best, super GMs lose, and Kokomo and Stock fish, some of the best chess engines, also lose games.
And even though it does have a lot to do with memorization of patterns and strategy, there are so many sidelines and things that make a difference that it's impossible to use the same strategy for everything within an opening.
My rating has been edging slightly above 2100, and the best advice I can give you is to get out of your comfort zone, try new things, and maybe research a bit online. The Internet has so much information on opening theory and middlegame ideas that you can learn from. I play 1. e4 and play the Pirc/modern and the Dutch as black. This is mainly because I am a very tactical player.

Scout is the best class faggot.

Said every bad chess player. Lol

>do you play the only non-degenerate game in the world
>the only non-degenerate game

Any game with more than one player is immediately within the sphere of degeneracy. Solitaire or bust.

Is there even a way to get better at all those closed and semi-closed games for white? When I start with e4, the game has a very nice flow to it, but when I use d4, everything gets out of my hands too fast.

If white I almost akways open with kings pawn. If black then I usually start with Sicilian defense

“…I’m finished with the old chess because it’s all just a lot of book and memorization you know.” – Bobby Fischer, 2002

King's Pawn opening on White

On Black, it depends on what white does :), typically the Sicilian defense

Fischer was just being off his head. There are more positions on a chess board then atoms in the universe.

Najdorf is king.

Go>Chess
Prove me wrong.

I'm retarded and 9 years of alcoholism has made me more retarded so I'm terrible at chess

In the past, on white I have also played Benko's opening or English opening.

Reti or Dunst are not my thing, but I have seen it quite often lately.

Queen's indian defense.

playing something because you think it's a cool non-degenerate thing to do is degenerate in itself. Chess is a great game if you genuinely enjoy it

disappointed caruana lost candidates

is dunst 1.nc3, never seen anyone play that

slav defense to 1.d4 or caro kann to 1.e4 should give you a closed game if that's what you like

>tfw no one to play chess with.

youtube.com/watch?v=9IYRC7g2ICg

>There are more positions on a chess board then atoms in the universe.
Most of which are easily defeated by the much smaller selection of memorizable ones. Which is what chess really is.

Fischer was an arrogant bastard, and a genius at that. However take what he says with a grain of salt, because he was also very messed up, and back in the 70s most theory was absolute shit and was not sound at all. Fischer was good because he had a sense for not playing those unsound positions.

>do you play
Yeah a bit.

>play style

center control is boring for me so I try to bring the game into the late and I prefer to take queens out early, mutual sacrifice of queens is often a position I prefer

>favorite openings

Alekhine defense, Queen's Gambit

>mutual sacrifice

you clearly don't know the meaning of sacrifice

I think it's hilarious that you're trying to downplay chess as if it's that simple. If it's so easy and all you have to do is memorize then why don't you play and become a super GM?

What you are saying is half true, yes there is a small selection of actually sound variations but it is still too many to just 'memorize'. Players get better from sharpening their intuition. Chess is a huge forest and you play from the trees that you see around you. It is not a game you can just "solve".

because he can't memorize and pattern recognize like a super gm, most top players start at like 4 years old

also there's more to tournament play then chess skill, managing nerves etc

I wasn't arguing about that, I was arguing about his last statement that included the word "memorize".

but you were

>If it's so easy and all you have to do is memorize then why don't you play and become a super GM?

Chess = Go
prove me wrong

My point was that you cannot memorize, it's all intuition. If you really think that chess is about memorization instead of intuition then you're delusional.

intuition because of, PATTERN RECOGNITION

no super gm is instantly good when they start out, they get good over time

hello /r9k/

For example, magnus Carlsen has said time and time again that he usually knows the correct move to play from looking at the position in an instant. He does not say that he recalls a certain pattern that he memorized a couple weeks back. Although many of the best players study and memorize opening theory that they plan to play, they do not memorize the majority of the game that they end up playing.

yes, because of pattern recognition

>memorizable positions
>pattern recognition
Two completely different things.

I'm 1898 FIDE rating

>only degenerate game
You imply Snooker is degenerate?

are you talking about memorizing opening lines,

>magnus Carlsen has said time and time again that he usually knows the correct move to play from looking at the position in an instant

yes because he's seen similar/same structures countless times

You introduced pattern recognition, a completely different idea than what this other guy previously was talking about, into your defense of what he was saying. If there is any tie or connection between pattern recognition and memorization then it has to do with the subconscious, but the other guy wasn't saying that at all.

Can't believe nobody went full child-humour!

>So, Sup Forums, do you play the only non-degenerate game in the world?
Doctors and nurses

Lie on top and flop around like a dying fish

>What are your favorite openings?
Your mom's ass.

i try to learn every opening but my favorite are

for white
1.c4 or 1.d4
and for black I use caro-kann or sicilian accelarated dragon against e4, slav defence against d4, and caro kann against c4

If you'd like to play a game of chess with me I am fine with that. We can play on chess.com, chess 24, or any other that you would prefer.

Appreciate the invite, but I find shitposting on pol more productive and engaging.

Chinese chess is very popular here. But I had stopped playing chinese chess when I realized its all about memorizing and being careful.

Its very boring to watch high-level matches of both chess and chinese chess. Every high skilled players memorizes the opening moves and the counter moves. Most of the time, the game was decided by not the better player but the weaker one who made one single mistake.

An awfully quiet way to back out after boasting your fide rating....

i'll play you if you want

I guess I'll just have to live with the fact an anonymous shit poster on pol thinks I don't have a decent FIDE rating for 2 hours until he forgets the conversation ever occurred.

I'm willing to endure.

There is some truth in what you are saying. There is a fragile balance between sides, but wouldn't you say that since the weaker player lost from his mistake, then the better player won because he took advantage of said mistake? Although I guess that depends on the position.

Whatever, pussy.

PLAY ME

Which website would you like to play at?

lichess, post link

I like watching historical games being analyzed on youtube
classics like Morphy's games for example, or some legendary players like Alekhine or Capablanca

Okay give me a few. I haven't played on lichess in quite a while

just do blitz 5 min

>playing the chequered Jew

>enacting the Indian defence
>knocking all of the other player's pieces off then shitting on the board

Http://lichess.org/5V091hF7

Yes. I pretty much follow Nimzowitsch's system. Control the center, play on open files, play on the 7th and 8th rank, try to create passed pawns, only exchange when there's a clear upside.
Favorite openings for white are king's gambit or Najdorf / dragon if black responds 1...c5 (I like the white side of those positions. Very active and spacey). For black the Berlin, Alekhine or KID. If I encounter anything other than e4 or d4 as black I just play it over the board. Gets me a bit of a time disadvantage but I usually come out ok.
If you want to casually get better with minimal effort, go to chess.com and do the lessons and tactics trainer. If course the results will be less. If you're serious and willing to put in the work, buy/download Yusupovs books and work through them.

Anyone who says chess is just pattern recognition and memorization is an idiot who doesn't even have a FIDE rating.
>but muh Fischer
He was certified insane.

page not found?