how do i git gud at this?
also production general

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGYoE903Nir5-wvI5ipGZMS6AYD1Le_iu&app=desktop
clyp.it/3zb1c1gg?token=8f53e92aadca4826acdfd4b2f97c3320
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

watch tutorials and fuck around with it

Start by trying to recreate songs.

It's too intimidating for most people to try to learn a very complicated program while feeling the need to create something worthwhile.

Find some tracks that you want to sound similar to and learn how they're created. Once you're comfortable with that you can start making your own shit.

this unironically

Also start learning a monophonic and a polyphonic instrument. You can program all you want at your computer but your music will progress exponentially when you can play an instrument and record

How so?

also fuck off with the FL studios shit. start with ableton, logic, or if you want to record bands use protools.....but avicii uses FL studios. fuck off with this shit. the real niggas are using ableton and logic.

a monophonic instrument will help you develop bass and leads. A polyphonic will help you develop cords/progressions

I think Mike Will also uses FL.

so does DJ mustard but they are hardly considered producers. Those dudes have real engineers in the room with them fixing all their mistakes. I would bet money that ones they are done making their "beat" it all gets bounced out to an ableton/pro tools project

But music fundamentals still stand while using a DAW. Aside from technical skills (I know a keyboard is built to be used by hands), what's different between a virtual keyboard and a real keyboard in terms of theory?

by dropping it completely & using something of worth like ableton or reaper

in theory nothing. a midi keyboard is just a keyboard that plays the notes in your software on your computer. You will come to a point in producing when your music sounds very robotic. Knowing how to play an instruments takes you away from from that and gives your music a more natural feel

Fl studio is just as good as ableton or logic in the right hands. Really any DAW is good, just use what you're comfortable with

whats the difference between a free program like fruity loops and ableton live

It's not about the DAW, it's about the user and the plugins really.

I just wish I picked up an instrument when I was growing up, or at least tried producing in my mid teens. Now I'm 19 and feel like my brain isn't malleable enough to ever become a legitimately good musician.

When I have a kid, that poor fucker is getting piano lessons once he turns 8.

>once he turns 8.
he's never gonna make it

fruity loops isn't free. Each program has their own strengths. For manipulating audio I would go with ableton. For mixing Logic seems to have the best in the box plugins. I don't really mess with fruity loops very often so i couldn't tell you about that one.

GUI and stock plugins. Beyond that, not much. You can do nearly all the same shit in both, you just have to know how to set it up. Ableton might be a bit more user friendly when it comes to MIDI hardware though.

Music production is a very long road. 19 is not too old to pick up an instrument. you just have to keep at it as well as your production. Learn some music theory and pieces will start to come together

I think if you have a good musical brain you could easily pick up producing when you're 19 and make good music. Just stop being a little bitch and make some shit lmao

what this guys said

I think I have really good taste compared to my peers (and not in a pretentious way, just in terms of open-mindedness and expansivenss) but I've never tried to actually compose something.

Any reccomendations for getting started from sctratch? Programs to download, webites/forums/videos to check out, etc.

You really just got to dive in and take your own path man. Look up tutorials for the basics like the first 9 of the videos in this playlist youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGYoE903Nir5-wvI5ipGZMS6AYD1Le_iu&app=desktop
I am sure there is an alternative for Ableton and logic if you would rather use those. I think once you've learnt those basics you really can explore your DAW though. Music theory is pretty useful stuff it will allow you to understand why certain music sounds good and how to structure songs, but if you just learn the basics of music theory too you can just play with your DAW again. Honestly you really just want to try to keep it fun so you don't burn yourself out. Also maybe try and chop and skew samples because it's always fun and you can make some really cool stuff. Also always keep your old stuff because it's fun to revisit and there is always good ideas. Oh and download glaceverb it's a free VST that has dope reverb and it can really make stuff sound a lot better

In addition to what the other user said, reading the manual can teach you a lot about how to use your DAW. Also, there's is tons of videos on youtube made by popular producers that teach you about how to make music, especially for EDM and hip hop genres. If you are open minded that's great because you can make so many different kinds of music in a DAW. Grind away at trying different things, do what is fun for you because it's hard to get inspired when you are bored with what you are doing.

clyp.it/3zb1c1gg?token=8f53e92aadca4826acdfd4b2f97c3320

First track I've worked on with vocals, friend of mine sang. Thoughts on both the beat, vocals, and mixing?

Also this song isn't finished, it's halfway done and we have a lot more ideas.