Why was no one on Voyager bothered by the fact that Harry Kim was a duplicate?

Why was no one on Voyager bothered by the fact that Harry Kim was a duplicate?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=E-aelI7fAF4
justwatch.com/us/tv-show/babylon-5/season-1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No one on Voyager really cared about Harry Kim, even Harry Kim.

Why ? Did he choose gayness also?

"Commander, tell me about your sexual organs"

Producers cared once actor was selected into random gossip rags list of sexiest actors as token Asian guy. That is only reason why he wasn't eliminated when 7 of 9 was introduced and they had to kill a character due to budget constraints.

It's Starfleet, that kind of weird shit happens all the time.

>no one cared about Voyager

ftfy

Star Trek on UPN was a mistake.

Arr rook same.

>no one cared about Voyager
I liked it up until 7 of 9 showed up. I mean she was fap-bait to the max but the balance of the show and every characters roles basically got subsumed by her.

>but the balance of the show and every characters roles basically got subsumed by her.

That's probably because the rest of the cast, save maybe the Doctor (who, for a good portion of the show, could only be used in Sickbay scenes), was incredibly dull and she was an actually interesting character to write.

Isn't everyone in Star Trek a duplicate because of how the transporter works?

best star ship coming through

Don't hate my mans like that.

I was bothered that he was on the show at all

Not even.

Remember that episode where he was back on earth, already on track to be one of the best engineers ever? Which a beautiful fiancee that he had known for years (even somewhat implied as a childhood friend) and missed the whole time he was on Voyager? Then he threw it all away so he could get bumblefucked by alien species and be in a constant state of panic all the time?

Euyep.

who?

because the federation is actually hell

Seems a lot more like purgatory to me.

Reminder: your sexual organs did nothing wrong.

>It's a "Abdullah II bin al-Hussein, King of Jordan" episode

Seems like a pretty cool guy honestly.

Too bad he's arguably just as crazy as any other middle-eastern Arabic royalty to the point where he's building an enormous star trek them park in Jordan.

>Currently he is the majority local investor of a Star Trek theme park, named Red Sea Astrarium, in the Jordan city Aqaba. The centerpiece of this theme park will be the Star Trek themed space flight adventure created under license from CBS Consumer Products. The park will open for business in 2017.

Is he /our guy/?

Looks a little like Matthew Broderick.

get one shotted
youtube.com/watch?v=E-aelI7fAF4

I'm not going to Jordan dude. It's probably one of the safest countries next to Israel but my country has a history of it's citizens getting abducted whenever they go to non-Israel middle east.

Damn shame.

He was still a prince at this time I think, its cool he grew up to be such a badass.

>he's building an enormous star trek them park in Jordan.
I'd go, seems worth getting kidnapped.

After a magnetically polarized, energy-draining photonic charge. Your ship is literally surrounded by plot armor.

whats the story with this

>Its a Chakotay episodes
>Panflutes are playing
>He talks about vision quests and animal guides and shit

He was the worst character on the show , just "indian in space"

The prince of Jordan asked to be an extra on the set of Voyager. They obliged and he was even going to have a line. Then Hollywood horseshit came in and they didn't want to credit it for some reason that I forget.

Now he's the king of Jordan.

He's a big Trek fan, when he was still Prince he pulled some strings and got a non speaking role on the show

>Remember that episode in the first season where they discover a transporter that can go 40,000 light years and how Janeway did everything in her power to stop them from using it. In the end they said it was incompatible with Federation technology. Not that they couldn't build a device that would have worked, but that Janeway had to discipline them instead.

Say what you want but it's the safest place for a westerner to go in all of the middle east. Ironic considering it's right next to ISIS controlled territories.

They all look alike.

O'Brien also died and was replaced

Its really fucked up when you actually think about it , at all, thats why its not brought up

Remember that time they tried to get a message to their families via some Romulan scum but the Rommy fucked it up and died before he delivered it

I always thought the Romulan high command did it on purpose and kept looking through the messages for hints about the future.

>Rommy fucked it up
No she didn't.

Ah, is that why Kes 'ascended'?

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

Why did Tom Paris go from being a womanizing bad boy to some autistic fuck with a 21st century obsession

Tom Paris in the later seasons seems like someone who would be on a /21/ board on their Sup Forums and collected old TV models

seriously why

Who owns Babylon 5? I want to stream it like everything else. I can't be bothered to get a DVD set and I'm not pirating.

21st century obsessive nerd > womanizing man child

He got married.

You start to push on your old hobbies. Then you just accept living death once there's a kid. Or a new life depending on how you look at it.

>Silverman used to be cute as fuck

Because a womanizing bad boy from trek-Earth is still an autistic spaz by modern human standards.

Not on Amazon Prime. Try Netflix.

The actor looks so fucking old in the HD remasters of voyager. Like her personality is entirely out of place for how he looks.

justwatch.com/us/tv-show/babylon-5/season-1
Yep, Netflix.

Aw fuck never mind it's Andromeda. I know nothing about that show.

Shame, it's not there.

I just looked it up.

It's worth checking out if you're looking for some more sci-fi, but don't expect anything amazing. It starts out pretty good, and kinda goes downhill as the show progresses. It's got the Roddenberry name on it, so take that how you will.

She always looked like a horse

This SeaQuest DSV crap is. What the fuck even?

You're talking about that DS9 episode? Iirc nobody actually knew that it happened besides O'Brien and O'Brien

Ah, Harry Kim. What a memorable, memorable character.

Probably because they got Rod Roddenberry to work in the writing room like Earth: Final Conflict.

It's been a while, so I could be wrong, but I believe Bashir knew. Quark may or may not have known. At the very least he knew something was up.

Actually wait, didn't he inform the entire command staff?

I think bucked teeth are cute as fuck on women. Unfortunately all her other front teeth or doing the same thing.

>That episode where Kim thinks he has died or been trapped in a cloaking device or dephased because no one notices him and spends the episode trying to solve it
>It turns out he is just that boring and everyone on Voyager forgot he existed

Thats a good one

Well, he did stem from the episode about the Native American planet being Trail of Tears'd by the Cardassians where Wesley literally becomes god to save them, so yeah....

Oh sorry, I thought that site just listed Netflix. Looks like you can only buy it on iTunes, Amazon, etc. No streams.

You'd have to google it but it's pretty much true-

They had some Greek guy pretending to be Native American as the cultural consultant for the Chakotay character. He was a complete fraud but leave it to those idiots to actually check credentials beyond nepotistic reputation.

>This SeaQuest DSV crap is.
The lady with the cool blue eyes. She was naked in the True Blood episode I was watching. Old, but she still got it!

Armenian, not Greek.

SeaQuest was fucking great, you take that back!

Why was no one bothered by Admiral Janeway going 40 years back in time and wiping trillions of lives, children, relationships and memories from existence

Why was Harry Kim not bothered by the fact that everyone on Voyager was a duplicate?

Yeah but it's the same level of fraud by the consultant and the same level of idiocy by the producers. Nowadays the blowback would be huge. People just didn't know back then. Shame that most of the producers didn't even take a 101 in anthropology to know that he was full of shit. At least in the US, where I took it (a state that has major NA tribes) you learn it almost immediately. There would have been an "aw fuck naw moment" in the writing room the moment the script was looked over.

not him but ablative armor was the dumbest part of the end of voyager.

BUT the defiant is a ridiculously dumb idea. Why can't the ship handle that many guns? in a future where you can literally materialize and dematerialize matter almost instantly, why aren't all ships and crew just replicated and used without any consideration for safety?

You could take a runabout and rig it with a hundred replicators that just replicate phase cannons, then recycle the matter for other things.

i went on a tangent there but trek tends to bring the sperg out.

The temporal agents from centuries in the future saw her as a menace. Then the writers tried to make us side with her.

Hercules in space was a good show. the andromeda and moya look similar to me.

They both lose out to the lexx, all ships loss to the lexx.

Typical post-7 of 9 Voyager episode plot:
>Voyager runs into a cosmic phenomenon/alien race/odd technology
>7 of 9 says "The Borg encountered this before. I know how to proceed"
>Janeway looks at 7 of 9 with contempt but has to act professional on set.
>Basically just going to run the ship out of the ready room and drink coffee all day.
>Tom Paris is getting into hilarious holo-deck hi-jinks with Harry.
>Chakotay doesn't even acknowledge the fact he's an Indian anymore, not enough room on the script.
>7 has a detailed reminiscence about her time as a drone with The Doctor/Naomi/The Children of the Borg
>Neelix is stuck in the galley cooking for the crew.
>Tuvok chimes in with help and a well-timed point of logic.
>The ship is under attack by a prime-directive metaphor.
>7 of 9 says "I believe I can use a Borg enhancement to boost our deflector dish."
>Tom remarks how these modifications aren't exactly Starfleet regulation.
>Harry says "There's no effect, it's some kind of inverse tachyon tetryon based polaron field"
>B'lanna reroutes warp plasma through the secondary power systems.
>Janeway says "Divert all available power, even life support!"
>Voyager survives and is a few hundred lightyears closer to home.

Because at that point in the 24th century Earth didn't have the temporal shield network.

Basically an agent in the 25th century saw it operational in the 28th century. Funny thing is Janeway figured out temporal shields in The Year of Hell.

because if I go back in time to change the past, the you that would be mad at me ceases to exist. There is literally nothing to be mad at.

The fact that she roped barcley into her shit is the real offender, dude finally had his life together and she unmakes it.

The ships still have energy reserves. Most ships have the luxury of re-dock where they can go back and recharge energy reserves. Star Trek, at it's best is character driven. When characters turn to shit (as Berman did to make the aliens seem "more interesting") The whole thing turns to shit.

Building entire firing systems at the fly takes enormous amounts of power that would basically leave you dead in space.

Star Trek was never written at a time where we had remote attack drones. Writing trek now is a huge undertaking that I don't really think Fuller appreciates. This isn't Hannibal season 3.

Yeah not much makes sense even by their own rules. I understand some things can't be replicated, but why do humans have to make repairs or build ships when automated systems could do it? Robots and factories pre-dated Star Trek.

Because every time people try to build an automated system, it gains sentience, and then they get into a whole thing about weather or not they have rights. It's just not worth the effort.

So spot on it's scary. I read the Harry and Tom parts in their voices.

It's humans in cooperation with them. It should be obvious that we wouldn't trust a system that we didn't look over ourselves.

Look at callbacks from motor vehicle companies. Some engineer sees a fault in the process and tells the company. That's because they're not usually involved in the production process. Breaks failing after 50,000 miles, shit like that. They tell them what part would function well beyond that but then the higher-ups ignore that because they're idiots and the cost is too high.

>computer, replicate me warp plasma strong enough to defeat Data.

The only thing that can't be replicated is latinum. Hell they could replicate raw dilithium crystals that have a perfect density or whatever they need.

The real reason is that the writers knew dick-all about practical applications of technology and just enough physics words to make half convincing technobabble. This is the same people that had "randomly shuffle glowy circuit boards to fix the computer" as a trope up through the year 2000.

On the other hand, I suppose like most things it boils down to which makes better television. Sisko sitting around for an hour while O'Brien drinks coffee at his desk and applies software patches would be terrible for audience engagement no matter how true to life it is.

That's why it eventually gets ignored. During TOS they have to orbit at places that are obviously very dangerous to obtain materials. Whereas past TNG (other than Voyager) they don't give a fuck and they pretty much never go and ask for repair materials.

>Voyager scriptwriters

>Hell they could replicate raw dilithium crystals that have a perfect density or whatever they need.
No, they can't, unless that came out of Voyager retardation.

It was the series finale and there was no time left to redeem Janeway. If the episode ended with people hating her it would have been a huge clusterfuck.

Why can't you replicate dilithium crystals? the reason you can't replicate latinum is a throwaway excuse, but I haven't heard of an actual reason why they can't replicate crystals. They replicate people on a daily basis.

Crystals have literally the most stable and easy to reproduce structure we know of. WE make crystals the long way now. We even do it in space cause it works better.

Is this supposed to be the "decent" trekthread?

The Delta quadrant was seen as extremely primitive other than a few EXTREMELY advanced races that had withstood the Borg. They wrote it to complete shit rather than exploring that idea.

As I recall, the Krenim were supposed to be so advanced that they made the Borg look like morons. They could manipulated time and space at will. So the Borg were no threat to them. Instead their resolution was a time singularity that drew them back to federation-level technology where the guy was creepily going to do it all over again.

we judge the quality of a trek thread by how many post in we are asked about or dicks and how they function. This thread has it in like 3 posts, all the threads this week have had it show up like 80 posts in so yes this thread is moderately dece.

We've been having too many trek threads recently, we don't want to turn into the lotr threads do we?

Why did they decide to put Voyager on UPN? I distinctly remember it being the black local channel. Blacks don't like Star Trek.

I'm not entirely sure about latinum but dilithium is supposed to be extremely volatile. To the point where attempting to transport or produce it could cause a rupture in subspace.

"Commander, tell me about your sexual organs."