Do you read while listening to music? What are some good albums to read to?

Do you read while listening to music? What are some good albums to read to?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/utqp7ECKUl0
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-2hUcaJw68CBlFopIeDiYiQNJ0aCqX0m
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I can only listen to instrumental while I read. Pretty much any krautrock album goes.

rec one?

Faust IV by Faust is good. Has some vocals tho

Neu! And Neu! '75

if you read and listen to music at the same time you're only gonna put your focus on one of the two things, so what's the point?

Sometimes, fiction sure however if its a book I'm studying from probably not.

Album: The Caretaker - An Empty Bliss Beyond This World

This
If I focus hard enough on something I'm doing other than the music I don't even notice when the music stops

>he listens to music actively

Letzte Tage Letzte Nächte by Popol Vuh has only half a song with vocals.

Jeremy Soule

>treating music as background noise
kys

i can understand this sentiment, but that simply often isn't the case. people use music in this way to create an atmosphere, and i imagine enhance a reading experience/make its material familiar

If you're actually serious, this is why most innovation is discouraged.

I edge myself while listening to music, only cumming when the album is about to finish.

No, its impossible to focus on two things at once. You won't retain all the information from both

Sure, people listen to 10 hour chill, classical music for studying compilations on YouTube. But is that the way you should listen to classical music of all genres? I can see an exception for unwillingly listening to music you don't enjoy when you're in public or in a gym.

>not the other way around

kys plebeian

there's someone i'd like to introduce you to

music is an appropriative medium in many ways, so i don't see why not
and this would apply for one who chooses 'atmosphere' tracks for the occasion

only morons read

can't argue with that

/thread

This is only one of the problems. How many uninspired bands with restricted and proposed emotions do we hear now? It's either cuteness, shock value or "chill". When music is treated as pleasant background noise less people take music seriously and that's hardly positive.

t. Muricans

>Being a dopamine addict.
Concentrate on what you read and nothing else.

the point is not the musician's intent, rather the listeners' reception

Do you honestly think that the intent of classical composers was and is for their music to be listened to as pleasant background noise?

i said the point is not the musician's intent. it doesn't matter what the composer intends of his music if he does not control its presentation. maybe when listening to music was more of an excursion there'd be much less discrepancy here, yet that's just not the case these days

>yet that's just not the case these days
Are you implying that we shouldn't dare to change that? Here's an interesting video for you to better understand my point:
youtu.be/utqp7ECKUl0

lo-fi hip hop

>the point is not the musician's intent
I disagree 200% with this

This guy literally makes background music.

personally, no way would i want it to be this way. i'd like music to be my own comprehensive exercise in meaning rather than a musician's game

ok

What are you, stupid? Why would I read while listening to music? I wouldn't be putting my full attention into either activity. How disgusting.

In all seriousness, I don't usually listen to anything while reading, but I think ambient music or white noise or something would be good to read to.

>i'd like music to be my own comprehensive exercise in meaning rather than a musician's game
You still don't get it, do you? As John McLaughlin explained there, jazz bands, classical music organizations and orchestras get subsidized by governments even though they're losing money, but what's gained is more important. What's gained is culture. If more and more people treat music as pleasant background noise, this scenario simple isn't possible. Not to mention that a nation without its distinct culture is doom to fail and cease to exist.

Doomed*

unless it's very very subdued background music then fuck no because i'll lose my concentration

Simply*

i think you've wholly misinterpreted my argument. i never argued for the premise of "background noise." what i argued for was appropriation. music i think to be a much more metaphysical device than most people would think.
also, the man generalizes in the video. maybe this is the case in jazz/classical circles, i don't know, but there's plenty of powerful music being released for art's sake alone.

>but there's plenty of powerful music being released for art's sake alone.
Of course. Other genres of music have been recognized and analyzed by the academia over the years. I was just providing an example, as well as he was.

Selected Ambient Works II

4'33" by John Cage

I always listen to music when reading, interpol, patrick watson and m83 are some of my favorites.

>doing two things that require your full attention at the same time
you're not really listening to the music if you're reading, and you're not really reading the book if you're listening to the music. that said, any sort of ambient music is forgivable.
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-2hUcaJw68CBlFopIeDiYiQNJ0aCqX0m