/who/ - Doctor Who General

on the planet of autism edition

Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Abslom_Daak
twitter.com/RealMattLucas/status/773553619035680769
radiotimes.com/news/2016-09-09/torchwood-return-stalled-by-certain-egos-says-john-barrowman
comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2016/2016-01.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

that image would be perfect if it wasn't so tiny

Who is your fave non-TV companion?

Daily reminder that Dr Zaius is the best doctor.

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT ACCORDING TO FBI CASEWORK THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE ARRESTED FOR INTERNET SEX CRIMES HAD STAR TREK MEMORABILIA IN THEIR HOUSE.

>obsessing over the worst but least creepy of Trek, SW, and Who finally pays off

Dr Evelyn Smythe.

In fact, I think the TV show should occasionally have older companions, not always cute 20-something girls for the Dads to drool over.

Hi guys. Adam here.
I'm off to set report again today. Hoping to get Capaldis autograph again hehe
Might even follow Moffat home today.

are you guys all Jahanists?

So BF just confirmed that War Doctor 3 has been moved to early October and Doom Coalition 3 moved to September

>inb4 ear stories

>ear stories

tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Abslom_Daak

It's satire, I believe.

You've never heard of Abslom before? There was a picture of him in S8.

The Power of the Daleks animation DVD is Amazon's 4th bestseller at the mo, and that's just pre-orders.

Probably because Who collectors are the only ones still buying DVDs

Apparently, Matt Lucas is official confirmed for being in Christmas special. How much do you hate Christmas now?

He makes more sense as a goofy Christmas guest than a proper companion desu

I maintain that he doesn't make sense as anyone.

Christmas is cancelled

I don't mind. Am not particularly a fan of Matt Lucas/ Nardole, but I don't dislike him either.

Was expecting Nardole to be in the Xmas special anyway, so am hoping there will be another less predictable/ more hypable 'surprise'.

Adam is happy so I'm happy

That's what they said about Catherine Tate.

Worldwide or UK? 4th best seller today, this week, or in what time scale?

And Wilf also started out in a shitty Christmas special.

If he keeps destroying idiots like this I'm happy
twitter.com/RealMattLucas/status/773553619035680769

Wew look at Robot Joy, Girlyautist and Siobhan the Pie-Faced Tranny jump in to kiss Lucas's nard-hole.
They are equally as bad as the fuckwit openly attacking Lucas.

>nard-hole
I'm surprised you didn't go for Narsehole.

>being nice is as bad as being an asshole

Today, Amazon UK.

Being nice to Matt Lucas is like eating people alive.

Fuck, marry, kill?

Sycophancy is not 'being nice'. It's a cynical falsehood used by people trying to ingratiate themselves with someone for their own personal gain/fame.
It's parasite behaviour and nothing like genuine concern for someone.

At gunpoint i'd probably fuck Joy, from behind, marry GL, as you wouldn't have to talk to her because she's stalking all day.

Thanks, that's what I thought it would be.

They're just saying the same shit everyone else is saying. What reason do you have to think they're not just being nice?

Is this Joy or Siobhan?

radiotimes.com/news/2016-09-09/torchwood-return-stalled-by-certain-egos-says-john-barrowman

RTD wants to maintain the integrity of the series and would rather leave the show's legacy how it is
barrowman wants a new paycheck and rusty's preventing it

How many of each Torchwood audio do you think they actually sell?

about 3

Well unlike Terrahawks and Blake's 7, Torchwood actually has an active fandom (I remember a recent Q&A panel with Barrowman and Myles was sold out hours before it would start). It wouldn't be too much to think the Torchwood audios are selling moderately well.

Hahah! I expected a riduculous overestimation.
I doubt they sell all that many but what do you think is a realistic figure?

Terrahawks>Thunderbirds.

Name your figure, please.

They confirmed the second 'season' early mentioning good sales as the reason, and seem to be pumping them out faster these days (they just announced the anniversary release and another boxset), so they're definitely profitable.
However, I don't have a clue about how many they sold, as actual figures about BF's sales aren't available anywhere, so there's nothing to even draw a comparison to.

RTD even said he had one more Torchwood story to tell, but as you say, it seems even he's given up pushing for it.

Some things are best left in the past. Barrowman ought to fuck off.

Your best guess would be fine for the purposes of discussion.

DWM sales are about 24,000 per issue IIRC. Now consider only "fans" will buy that magazine, and likely only hardcore fans (as opposed to your average Joe Public) buy Big Finish, and I doubt every DWM reader buys every BF audio. (This is all UK, not sure about American fan numbers.)

Oh wait, my bad. "Doctor Who Magazine's official ABC figure for the first half of 2016 is 25,832."

That's just short of 26,000 DWMs sold in 6 months.

That's very poor for a magazine, especially a magazine related to supposedly one of the BBC's biggest shows.

That all said, BF churns out so much shite, there's a new audio every 5 minutes. Depends how many regular buyers they have, what ranges sell, etc.

Those DWM sales are worldwide.

Ok, now the ball is rolling and we have a base figure.

I think most audios probably sell in the under 10,000 range, which is quite a lot for an audio range aimed at fans who also like audio plays.

Any other suggestions?

It's like comics. I bet people think that, in the USA, all the big DC and Marvel titles sell milliions of copies, just going by the popularity of the films.
Most comics sell in the 10s of thousands range, in truth.

The reason BF churn out multi-part boxsets, new ranges, plus multiple main range releases is because they need to keep the £££ rolling in. No wonder there's a big "that'll do" attitude with most BF releases, which use the same writers, same directors, and the same 8 actors every story.

comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2016/2016-01.html

am I just autistic if the weeping angels never scared me as a kid but shit like the abzorbaloff and the lazarus experiment did?

I don't know what's so scary about angels.

Abzorbaloff was geniunely disturbing though, but less in its appearance or MO, and more as a window inside Rusty's tortured soul.

I have a date this weekend with a qt chinese girl who selected 'ace' as her english name.

I think she is the one lads. she's never heard of doctor who but I can live with that.

I am afraid to say this is definitely the way myself and friends see the situation these days.
These boxed sets and taking orders over a year in advance, in some cases, seems to us to be a subtle change to crowdfunding as a business model.
There is no doubt the 50th anniversary and the licence for new who stuff was probably seen as the start of a massive increase in sales.
I fear that most recent fans will never get into audios of any kind.
Worse still, they have started writing oversimplified or fanfic type crap and are in danger of driving away the classic fans who were their bread and butter for years.
It's a tricky situation.

Have any of you seen thousands of previously non-audio buying Tennant fans buying and raving about his audios? I have to say honestly that I have not.

>she's never heard of doctor who
Introduce her? Show her the best Ace episodes first.

Russell T. Homo needs to get Aiden Gillen to do a cameo. That would be the only reason that would make me watch Dr. Gay.

I have met River Song fanatics who thought the audios were boring.

I fully agree.

Regarding 10, also, there was nothing special about those new 3 stories. They should've gone for something super memorable. Maybe one big story, something to make an impact. But it just felt like 3 average run of the mill stories, and everyone's already forgotten it happened. But never fear, cos they'll churn out so much shit that you can't keep up with anything anymore. Oh, and don't forget to pre-order Classic Doctors New Monsters volume 5 even though 2 hasn't come out yet!

Hmmm, most Doctor Who comics seem to sell between 6,000 and 10,000 copies, with some first issues managing more than that and the most common figure being about 7,500.
But how do comics compare to audios?

Well, there's very little moping about her love and witty Moffat banters. So I like those.

Likely, River fanatics are running in antiphase to me.

but the abzorbaloff was invented by some 10 year old who won a blue peter contest

Yeah, those Tennant audios just felt like reheated series 4 episodes. The best BF audios are the ones that you couldn't do on the show, like how Peri and the Piscon Paradox had Peri call out 6 for being a twat earlier in his life, or Guerrier giving Sara Kingdom an actual character, or To the Death taking all of these threads spanning from several Doctors and tying them all up into a beautiful climax. I guess BF didn't want to scare any 10/Donna fans away with something too out there, but they could've done better than killer apps.

I want to see her more than once. I might bring it up later if she doesn't immediately see through my fabricated alpha dalek shell, find the shrivelled davros within and never call me again.

Yes, but plot was written by Rusty. Probably.

I mean, it clearly has a mindset of a schoolyard bully behind its second part, but it was probably Rusty.

Thanks. Someone agrees with what I said. This may be the first time on Sup Forums.

Since the boxed sets I have bought fewer audios not more. Taking McGann out of the main range is a disaster for me. He went from top audio Doctor to the bottom for me.
Hurt is a great actor but the Time War is bloody boring now.
I have given up all hope of a Spare Parts tier release from BF ever again and that makes me sad.

Their intention to make the MR "accessible" is definitely hurting it.
I'm not asking for another 10-year long arc like the stuff leading up to A Death in the Family, but far too many releases these days tend to be inconsequential and forgettable. There's only so long you can keep making stuff like that before people start to get tired.

iirc the entire episode was intended as a commentary on the doctor who fandom in general, with the Victor Kennedy character being based on one particularly toxic fan Rusty had a run in with a while back.

>ywn bleach freema

BF is too focused on making stories that can fit directly in the season they take place, when they should realize their most critically acclaimed releases broke the mold. Spare Parts could never be made in season 20. Evelyn Smythe would have never been a character during 22 and 23. The Sara Kingdom trilogy doesn't even thematically fit if you watch it in-between Dalek's Master Plan. But that's why they worked, because they were modern re-interpretations of Doctor Who eras instead of attempts to get it as close to the original as possible.

>one particularly toxic fan

who could it be?

>selected 'ace' as her english name.
What?

YES.

This is also why I've found every single 4th Doctor audio DULL.

Yes, exactly this. I've been saying this for years. This is precisely the difference between the initial releases and today's stuff.
To me it's the same difference beween original writing in the genre and fanfic writing.

Me too. They crippled Tom with this half assed stuff and unfunny s17 parodies.
Tom should have had a new audio era set after The Deadly Assassin with a new companion.
Leela is boring now and I don't like saying that.

Funny I just dreamed that

Leela bored me on TV, and bores me even more on audio.

Imagine if we could have Tom audios with Ian Marter and Lis Sladen. I imagine Nick Briggs would've penned some absolute shite, but the magic of those 3 actors could've made something special. Imagine Tom with Mary Tamm too. But sadly all he has left, really, are the slightly more "meh" companions.

What's with the insistence of Briggs writing lots of the 4th Doctor stuff? His Return to Telos one was fucking abysmal.

They should have the balls to do Romana 2's final adventure and do her regeneration scene.
But not into that bloody awful American woman they have, please. The fake accent is jarring.

I'm not a Briggs hater but the 4th Doctor range is fucking terrible.

BF shouldn't be as worried as they are about continuity/contradicting TV canon. They should just focus on telling good stories.

Return to Telos' opening felt like the writer just wanting to squeeze in as many references as possible, all whilst writing something insanely dull and contrived in the console room.

english speaking chinese usually choose an english first name as westerners have trouble with their original ones. they are often quite odd.

I'm studying mandarin so ace is not that strange really. the best ones I have met have been a guy called life and a girl called cream.

Later I am listening to The Genesis Chamber.

Even though it's Hinchcliffe/Platt I am not going into this with any expectations.

The worst thing is, they don't even care about making good nostalgic stories. They only care about making them faithful.
If you listen to the extras of The Isos Network, for example, everyone's talking about how it feels like it belongs in the era it's set in, except... That era is mostly a lot better than that. It's like a Season 6 story, yes, but it's like a BAD season 6 story. They made something that belongs in the same tier as The Dominators or The Space Pirates and they're PROUD of it.
What the fuck?

Nailed it.

Again, I agree.

I would be very happy with a 'trad' story of any kind; base under seige; mad scientist; as long as it is well written and not a fanfic laden with trite nods to the past.
In short, I never saw Who as comedic nostalgia. I DO like stories and I don't need 200 'clever' in-jokes.

Ian, no offence, you're not a journalist, so fuck off.

>too hot to handle!

>yfw a certain stalker asks for a picture for the 5th time this week

Hey, it's Janet Fielding's birthday!

The latest Davison trilogy wasn't Spare Part tier but it was really, really good.
Also the CC boxsets are very good.
I agree with most of what you say but I am not as hopeless.

Fair enough. I thought they were pretty appalling and forgettable.
There isn't a single aspect which lingers in my mind. Unlike Spare Parts which is talked about all the time.

Well, to each their own.

Another thing that makes me worried aboutBF's future is how old most acotrs are.
The licence is here until 2025 at least but I can see Jago and Litefoot going on until then for exemple.
Tom and Colin will probably be dead before that, and 60's companion won't last long either.

exactly. Past Doctor stories are at their most interesting when they take a look at how stories are done today, apply that to characters of the past and see how the story is affected by it. I don't need stories that are exactly like stories I already know. I have plenty of those already. Give me new stories with old characters.

I am sure they are aware of this and it's definitely an issue.
It's a shame many of their new DW product lines are shitty.
Some are baffling.

Damn /who/ is good today