Pick a side: Hip Hop edition

West Coast vs. East Coast

The albums on the side you don't pick are erased from history.

What do you choose?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vsfzAvOrjrc
youtube.com/watch?v=A-ckaLiuBLI
youtube.com/watch?v=DG5t2s586bc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

East for sure.

>Nas, Digable Planets and ATCQ vs. Kendrick, NWA, Madlib and Death Grips

rly hard choice desu

Think I'll take.... East....

east

MEMPHIS

East easy

danny brown is from detroit though

You know that Danny Brown is from Detroit right?

Easily east but you picked some shitty ass albums for west.

as someone who lives on the West Coast, let me be the first to tell you all West Coast ain't shit

No problem. Easy mistake to fix.
Just give me 2 mintues.

(I mean not like it matters since East is rightfully creaming them...)

East. I like XXX, some of the others in West are nice but nothing as outstanding as Nas, Rae, Mos, Common or Tribe.

That's true, you DID choose rather shit albums.

Below the Heavens or Soul on Ice would be good replacements

South

Here;s an update since DB didn't count as West.

Which albums are the "shitty albums"?

Kendrick, Earl and Vince Staples are the ONLY notable rappers out of the west coast. It was never even close.

Someone tell me where the fuck doom wrote.

MF Doom is the definition of East Coast, especially when he was part of KMD

West Coast definitely has the crown for hip hop right now. Just for those names alone.

>implying Frank, Tyler, and Earl won't keep getting better and better

They still run the show fuck kendrick

People always ignore Aesop and Andre :(

Aesop is alright.
Andre 3000 is southern.

What, Andre 3000? OutKast is the face of good Southern rap, not East Coast.

Andre 3000 is full tom brady mode and Kendrick is a rambunctious aaron rodgers

frank is garbage, tyler is garbage, earl is ok.

west, in all honesty. for what it's worth, i prefer disco to punk

frank isn't hip-hop in the same sense of the comparison being made here

i'd agree with that if Andre actually made music

Remember when Masta Ace made a whole album satirizing west coast gangsta rap?

The only right answer in this thread.

East Coast beats out West and South by a huge margin for me

Public Enemy, Nas, the Native Tongues groups, Beastie Boys, Def Jux, the Babygrande stable of artists, The Roots, Wu-Tang, Dälek, Edan, EPMD, Fondle 'Em, Kool Keith, Biggie, DOOM, Rawkus, Kool G Rap, BDP, Mobb Deep, Organized Konfusion, Gang Starr, Big L, Jay, Digable Planets, Jeru, basically any hip hip made before the late 80s...the list goes on

Some of my favorite hip hop albums (Endtroducing, Blazing Arrow, The Unseen) are West Coast, and they may be ruling the game right now with TDE, but historically speaking I have to go with East Coast

That's literally the worst place for hip hop though.

east coast get fucked

youtube.com/watch?v=vsfzAvOrjrc

Bump.

3rd Coast best coast

How do you make these?

>class of 2018

sucks to be you

When it comes to making beats, the South is far superior to both east and west coast.

You and I both know that's bullshit.

As someone from the west in the 90s, i'd pick:

Deltron 3030
Chronic 2001
JAYLIB
DONUTS
So..How's your girl
The Platform
Slim Shady LP
Jurrasic 5 EP

This.

FUNKY TOWN BOUND

Em and jay are from detroit but recorded the albums in cali

Dude, definitely. Fuck OP, he's a pleb.

Memphis is the most influential city is the history of hip-hop. every modern facet in modern hip-hop production came from Memphis.

Only city in hip-hop with a sound decades ahead of its time.

A staple of southern production is live instrumentals. They don't need to sample music.

That alone puts the south leagues ahead of west/east coast.

East, easily.

>The sampling = bad meme
>Thinking someone is superior for not sampling
>Not realizing the best producer of the South used sampling

/thread

>memphis is the most influental city in the history of hip-hop

holy shit no, maybe in terms of laying out a foundation for the current wave of hiphop. The most influental city in terms of hiphop is the one that created it and it damn well wasn't memphis, go figure

> He didn't even put Wu-Tang

lmfao that's like a real indicator to why east is so fucking superior to weast

Not saying it's bad, but pointing out the use of live instrumentation is a deeply rooted southern tradition which extends to hip-hop.

I'm not saying sampling is bad, but when there's a song that's great and it doesn't use sampling, that makes it even better.

>Not realizing the best producer of the South used sampling

There is no best producer but I doubt they'd be bigger than Rap-A-Lot records big three in house producers (N.O. Joe, John Bido, and Mike Dean) and Organized Noise.

Chi-town all day

Fair enough.
I was referring to 9th Wonder, to clarify.

Not really. We're talking about influence. The only influence the east coast has that has really stayed true to the modern day is the concept of sampling.

The sounds typically associated with both the east and the west are basically considered dated today. No major record today employs traditional East Coast Boom Bap or the West Coast G-Funk. Are there examples that run contrary to that? Obviously, but those records will always be seen as throwback records, the fact they're called that tells you the sound that they employ are considered dated (Joey Badass's 1999 or YG's Still Brazy)

Southern production, in particular the sound that came from Memphis is so influential and popular that it destroyed the regional sound barrier of hip-hop. Now everyone sounds like they're from the south because of how integral southern production is to modern hip-hop.

Trap music that's extremely popular now? Sonically came from Memphis.
Cloud rap that's somewhat popular in some scenes? Came from Memphis.
Underground satanic rap that's popular in Florida due to SGP which hailed acts like XXXmanlet and $uicidefucboi$? Came from Memphis.

The booming 808s, the kicks/snare/high hats sequencing. Those ethereal samples used to create trippy cloud raps, culturally these all stemmed from Memphis.

North Carolina is hit and miss. It's both southern and east coast, but when it comes to hiphop regionalism it lies more to the east coast than the dirty south.

9th wonder although he hails from NC he's associated with the Midwest sound with his production for Little Brother and others.

For example DJ Premier was born in Houston and grew up there but he moved to New York but he's considered an essential East Coast producer because that's the scene in grew up in.

D.O.C is from Dallas but he's and extremely foundational member to the West Coast g-funk scene.

It's not about where you're born. It's where you came up.

i like you

Quality Control and 93 til Infinity should be on the West side. Not Death Grips and Danny Brown.

very true. DJs in memphis have been making cloud rap since 1987

youtube.com/watch?v=A-ckaLiuBLI

Aren't you disregarding other aspects of the south here, for example DJ Screw? His influence is all over the place nowadays too.

In addition to that, you're arguing as if only current influence matters, but east coast was the dominant influence for nearly 30 years (literal creation of the genre in the 80s, a majority of the classic boom bap of the 90s, 50 cent in the early 2000s and damn near every other rapper tried to mimic him, a majority of all GOAT contenders most rappers look up to and get inspired by) . Less dominant now, and perhaps won't make a come-back, but the southern sound has to stick around for a while before its influence is comparable to the over-all impact of east coast hiphop

>modern hip hop
That isn't the type of hip hop you want to be influencing. Also hip hop has been around for decades, even if it's three most influential in modern hip hop, doesn't mean that it's the most influential overall.

If you erase the albums from the east you erase the albums on the west also

If we combine the Midwest and South, I'd take that over both the East or West.

MF DOOM is british

Wu, Black moon, mobb deep, call o da wild.. it ain't new york without them

He moved to New York as a child

blue

Just from the records present, I would take west considering I love the layered complex production on The Chronic, Doggystyle, Shades Of Blue, XXX, and GKMC.

But overall? Shit how's anyone gonna compete with Paul's Boutique, It Takes A Nation Of Millions, any Kool Keith project, any El-P involved project except Run The Jewels, and if we start adding non-NY east coast, Lil Ugly Mane?

Not really. I mean I'm from Houston so naturally I'm a screwhead. The drank culture is extremely popular now with everyone double cupping, but as far as musical influence goes chopped and screwed does have an influence, but I'd say it's influence extends beyond just hip-hop.

Chopped and Screwed has a greater influence outside of hip-hop than within it with genres like Witch-house and Vaporware.

Current influence matters because the sounds from Memphis I'm describing stems from the mid 80s to the present day. Your argument has no basis because it doesn't stand on it's own leg. I guess I'll break it down.

>literal creation of the genre in the 80s

This well established, but simply creating something doesn't make said region the be all end all of a certain music genre, For a quick comparison Soul was created in the south but it's been dominated and mostly associated with the Midwest due to the Motown supremacy.

>a majority of the classic boom bap of the 90s

Classic then, dated now. Whereas records made in Memphis during that same period are sonically no different that what's extremely popular now, albeit a bit more polished with digital production tools.

>50 cent in the early 2000s and damn near every other rapper tried to mimic him,

50 Cent was a popular rapper of his time. What does that have to do with anything? 50 cent and the G-Unit era of hiphop was a product of it's time, their sound is considered dated today.

>a majority of all GOAT contenders most rappers look up to and get inspired by

This is a stretch. No one would look up to 50 cent like that. He's a popular rapper of a certain time era. .

The problem is that there isn't a strong focus on southern hip-hop production by music publications so the misconceptions you hold are unfortunately very common. Memphis influence on hip-hop isn't just from the mid 2000s with crunk music.

Where talking about music from the late 80s all the way to the modern day.

u got pleb taste in hip hop from both sides my man.

also

>Danny Brown for west coast
Common & Jedi Mind Tricks for East Coast

jesus christ

Remember when Masta Ace never made an album as good as this one?

>Jedi Mind Tricks & Common
>Bad

And you're calling MY taste shit?

>implying Too $hort wasn't doing this just as well just as early

but Pimp C was the best producer out of the south (and used sampling

I think it's unfair to say trap solely came from memphis, cloud rap, sure. But Trap Music is from all parts of the south, Texas, Atlanta, Memphis, it's too broad to be narrowed down to Memphis having sole responsibility.

Common is from Chicago and Jedi Mind Tricks are from Philadelphia bucko. Also yes, Jedi Mind Tricks are bad.

Delete your post, retard

Pennsylvania counts as eastern hip hop. I looked into it.

I'll admit I fucked up with Common though.

>Also yes, Jedi Mind Tricks are bad.
See above message.

No.

it ain't east coast tho. and they're edgelord immortal technique tier.

lol those sides suck, I choose the south

West and it's not even close

>posts album recorded in LA

East

Only 2 albums are good here guess which 2.

idk they're all good, tell me and reveal your shit taste

Soul Food and Aquemini.

Delete both and change the course of musical history. We live in the worst timeline for popular music. Allowing either side to survive will eventually lead to meme rap.

>hiphopguy
>thinks danny brown is a 'west coast' rapper

danny does not have style of a 'west coast' rapper, and he's not even from the west coast. pathetic attempt.

danny brown is from detroit hes not west coast

for the west coast you're missing MC eiht, DJ Quik, Tupac, Ice Cube, E40

South coast

For fuck sake I already fixed the chart at least fucking try to read the thread before typing god damn.

>For fuck sake I already fixed the chart
no you didn't there's a clear bias for east coast or you're excluding the great west coast rappers

>a good Hip Hop thread
these are rare

Southern rap is all shit except for killer mike and outkast

>Southern rap is all shit
>3 6 mafia
>UGK
>pimp C
>cunning linguists
>scarface
>geto boys
>bun B
>DJ screw
take your ignorance elsewhere and thank me for the reccs

I didn't put Tupac just like I didn't put Biggie.

They're west coast albums I genuinely enjoy,

I'm just as surprised as you man.

Atlanta

youtube.com/watch?v=DG5t2s586bc

(1/2) Wow. Where to begin...
>The only influence the east coast has that has really stayed true to the modern day is the concept of sampling
Yikes... What about the fucking genre itself? Pretty sure that came from New York. This alone makes your entire argument moot - if someone claims to be a rapper, they have New York to thank. Also, what albums do you think inspired rappers to rap for decades? It's not Migos, it's classics from east/west (Nas, Dre, Biggie, Pac, Wu-Tang, NWA, etc.). For someone who claims to care about influence, you don't seem to consider many influential albums/rappers
>No major record today employs traditional East Coast Boom Bap or the West Coast G-Fun
Good Kid Mad City? To Pimp A Butterfly? Anything by Kendrick (widely considered the best modern rapper, certainly one of, if not the best selling) West Coast sound. Run The Jewels? East Coast sound. Vince Staples? West. Action Bronson? East. If you take a second to look outside your meme bubble, you'll find plenty of successful modern rappers that adopt traditional east/west sounds. None of the records I've mentioned are considered throwbacks.
>Southern production, in particular the sound that came from Memphis is so influential and popular that it destroyed the regional sound barrier of hip-hop
This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long time. Brief music lesson - all genres are subject to trends in which certain sounds are temporarily popularized. All trends eventually die, and then new ones take their place. Right now southern sounds are trending in hip hop, particularly those of ATLANTA not memphis. The universality of this trend has literally nothing to do with how great it is or how powerful southern influence is, but rather the emergence of the INTERNET. Back when east/west beef was a thing, rappers heard new music from their local radio, which played local artists, so they tried to emulate those sounds - hence distinct regional styles.

(2/2)
Now with the internet, their are no regional divides and local tastemakers have practically zero influence. Consequently, any current trend becomes adopted by the entire genre because there are no sonic barriers anymore. Again, this has nothing to do with the inherent influence of southern sounds. Anyone who claims that some irrelevant city like Memphis is more influential to rap than traditional east, or even west coast sounds knows literally nothing about hip hop as a culture. Either that or they purposely disregard the past

shit thread