/jazz/

Contemporary jazz edition

What are your favorite post-2000 jazz albums and who are your favorite current players?

What are your favorite releases so far from this year?

What current artists would you like to see record together?

>Sup Forums jazz guides and charts
imgur.com/a/7k7Sw

>releases, reviews and news
pastebin.com/RXP80z0f

>music downloads
archive.org/details/davidwnivenjazz

>historical resources
mega.nz/#F!fNdmVR7B!9a5sgVwyqqC3i3j9ooJGLg (jazz books)
mega.nz/#F!vZUVwQAR!nye_-wRwFbm-0Q3DYivQBg (Collection of Blue Note liner notes)
mega.nz/#F!ncdz0CpY!7RKQ_SY6OI77NcKS64t4UA (Collection of 1960’s Down Beat Scans)

>jazz theory and playing resources
mega.nz/#F!WcEEmbIJ!YGcPWrZAx4K9Jf4TVnsb_w

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Hei6SpGy21E
youtube.com/watch?v=ecXQ-F6_fnk
youtube.com/watch?v=Ps0ka1tY5yg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I feel as if Jazz is just boing background music but I do like big band music though I have a preference for albums

Rec me stuff to change my mind on that

It's hard to imagine anybody thinking of something like this as background music
youtube.com/watch?v=Hei6SpGy21E

A Bold thing to post in /Jazz/

I can't understand anyone who can listen to Hard Bop as background music.
>Pic related
if you get bored by Mosaic then I'm sorry, but Jazz probably isn't for you.

favorite release this year, other questions are too much to answer.

anyone remember or know what happened to user who was training under william parker?

Stan Kenton - City Of Glass

youtube.com/watch?v=ecXQ-F6_fnk

Im user training under william parker, thats a great record friendo.
Matt Shipp, Whit Dickey, Mat Maneri-Vessels in Orbit
John Coltrane Quartet Plays

Pic is just a good album by an underrated pianist.

>we are beautiful people
>they all look like bums

god bless you, I'm looking to get more into joe mcphee. I have a few of his cds, wondering if you could rec me any. or any shipp albums. Both of them have such large discographies.

I don't think I have actually heard a William Parker record before. Like, one where he leads. Which one would be the one worth checking out first?

>What are your favorite post-2000 jazz albums and who are your favorite current players?
I've posted on this subject so often that probably nobody wants to hear it

>What are your favorite releases so far from this year?
Miguel Zenon's. Several ECM albums coming out this fall sound like they have the potential to be really good though.

>What current artists would you like to see record together?
I'd like it if David Binney did an album with his typical compositions but very freeish improv with Alex Sipiagin, John Escreet, whoever on bass, and Tyshawn Sorey on drums. Maybe a tenor player too. Mark Turner or Chris Potter.

>I've posted on this subject so often that probably nobody wants to hear it
?

Oh, I thought it was gonna be Kamasi Washington's The Epic. You sure it ain't The Epic?

Well I've only listened to five jazz albums in my life and none of them were recorded later than 1975 but I feel pretty confident in saying that Kamasi is definitely saving modern jazz...

I would say hard bop and probably cool jazz are the easiest to just have as background music. Hard bop is great, but I can understand how new jazz listeners think that "jazz all sounds the same" when they only listen to hard bop

I've been trying to check out more modern jazz and listened to this recently because I've seen it posted a lot on Sup Forums. I went into it not expecting to like it very much but it was actually pretty great. What else by Sipiagin do you recommend? He's got a lot of albums.

Damn.

Leave that crap in its own thread

Depends what you liked about it. If you liked the whole interactivity of it I'd recommend Returning or Prints. If you want a little more swing and traditional sounding post-bop then go with Mirages. If you like the fusiony side of it and complex compositions then try Balance 38 58 or Moments Captured.

bump

well sir, i can tell you what i like and hope you do too.
>Mr. Joe Mcphee
Six Situations- Joe Mcphee, Damon Smith, Alvin Fielder (2017) live tenor trio
Sonic Elements- solo Joe doing a piece for Don Cherry on pocket trumpet and a solo piece for Ornette on sax
Joe Mcpee and Survial Unit II with Clifford Thorton live in 1971 its on Hat Hut
Nother hat hut, Tenor and Fallen Angels. solo Joe
Nation Time, Mcphee record from 2000 that i noticed laying around in William Parkers apartment.
>Matt "the scientist" Shipp
David S Ware- Go See the World
David S Ware- Alive in the World
Other Dimensions in Music- Time is of the Essence is Beyond Time
Pastoral Composure
I've Been too Many Places
Invisible Touch at Taktlos Zurich
Matt Shipp Trio- Root of Things
Shipp Trio- Piano Song

Painters Spring, Sunrise in the Tone World, and Testimony

I've heard tenor and fallen angels and nation time. I appreciate all the recs, wondering if you saw matthew shipp's series of videos put out today by the lincoln jazz center. Also do you have an RYM or discogs account you'd be willing to put out there?

post tracks with top tier guitar playing
youtube.com/watch?v=Ps0ka1tY5yg

i dont have an account on either of those. sorry, im no JTG haha. and no i didnt see those, i have to look now.

yeah sorry, I was just reachin a bit. I just kinda made an assumption. Would love to hear if you put out anything in the future though

I asked this in the last thread but are there any good recent jazz vocalists or is the genre dead?

bump

Can you people at least TRY to keep these threads alive?

Gregory Porter and Cecile McLorin Salvant

Thoughts on this? I didn't really like the other Okazaki albums I've heard but I thought this was pretty good.

bump

this is pretty good

I saw Miles Okazaki live with Steve Coleman's Five Elements. Dude is like the least expressive musician I've ever seen - totally carved in stone type mofo.

I follow him on Twitter and he has smart things to say and understands a lot of concepts and knows how to play, but boy if he isn't like some machine - I felt the album was also like this.

hey /jazz/ fellers,

I'm currently in Japan until next Friday - Kyoto and Tokyo. Trying to catch some live jazz, visit some of those jazz cafes where you can enjoy the owners record collections and do plenty of vinyl shopping - let me know of any recommendations for any of this stuff. My hotel in Kyoto is literally a block away from Le Club Jazz and in Tokyo I'm like a 10 minute walk away from Disk Union Shibuya, so I'm pretty well situated for record stores and such, but hit me with any recs you have and also cool japanese jazz vinyl to keep an eye out for.

As for the topics at hand - I really feel like the story of jazz in this decade is a widening gap between interesting scenes with less and less of a common language to work with - I try to follow local, European, North American and global jazz scenes but it often feels like a bunch of 3d Venn diagrams with much of the common ground being out of view for most jazz fans - completely different world depending on who I talk to.

My local scene in Finland is strong, probably better than ever - not seen as that elitist and well in tune with other urban culture, jazz records occasionally make their way into the top 20 here. Verneri Pohjola, Timo Lassy, Jukka Eskola, Teppo Mäkynen, Mikko Innanen, Iiro Rantala, Jukka Perko, Raoul Björkenheim, Valtteri Laurell-Pöyhönen, Olavi Louhivuori, Alexi Tuomarila are maybe the most dependable names as leaders.

>cont'd

Do you have any Japanese players that you really enjoy?

For international releases, I'll go with jtg on Miguel Zenon's Tipico - great album I think for both European and American sensibilities. I also liked the new Tomasz Stanko and David Binney. There's also a brand new Django Bates album honoring Sgt. Pepper's that sounded neat on the first listen.

I really feel like we need some stronger "auteur"-type characters in jazz that transcend the roles of musician, composer and even band leader. Short supply of people capable of doing that, though. Really looking forward to the upcoming Vijay Iyer ECM release, the short studio clip out on the Internet sounds great and Iyer is to me the type of character jazz needs more of today.

I was in Kyoto almost 10 years ago but didn't really bother with vinyl back then. At one point I was at a huge mall and there was a musical instrument store that had digital pianos on display outside of the store. The host family I was with knew I played piano so they asked me to play something. I just played a little jazz but a HUGE crowd gathered around and then applauded when I stopped even though I was really just messing around.

Never been to Tokyo, I hope to someday though.

That's the thing - if I had to name one Japanese artist release I'd like to score, I'd probably say Yosuke Yamashita Trio's Chiasma which was a German release to begin with. I'll gladly pick up some Soil & Pimp Sessions and such and some nice quality Blue Note reissues.

I'm generally more excited about the fact that there is a relatively strong community of jazz fans with high quality early pressing classic stuff than Japanese releases.

really looking forward to Disk Union's Shibuya store in Tokyo - by all accounts one of the greatest stores in the world for second hand vinyl.

Make sure to post in some /jazz/ thread with how it is after you've been there. I'm curious what prices are like- then again I don't really know what vinyl prices are like in Europe either.

Have you been to the Jazz Record Center in NYC? I was there a few weeks ago and it always amazes me how great it is for all things jazz. I was wondering if there's anyplace better in the world.

Hey Jazzpossu can you post pictures of some of the stores? Japan always has comfy stores.

Did you post this for guaranteed replies?

I have! That place was a motherfucker to find with practically no sign on street level that there was a record store there..I bought a couple of albums but I don't think it was that amazing for classic vinyl. I just browsed what was readily available, so there's probably a secret stash of rare stuff.

I'll try to remember to post some pictures here.

Yeah, I don't get too into rare vinyl or anything. I just like fairly-priced used records. Don't much care if they're first pressings or anything so the store was perfect for me.

Then there's the collection of books and old periodicals too.

What is the difference between hard bop and post-bop

thanks for telling me about those matthew shipp videos, learned some good stuff from them. He also made some videos for JaLC in 2015 with darius jones that are really great. Darius is an amazing player, fucking blew my mind when he played with farmers by nature at the vision fest this year. But yeah no need to apologize, i dont have an account on that stuff cause im really not good with or enjoy computers and dont see much of a point to those websites unless your trying to get in to reviewing or something or just have trouble keeping track of records. As far as putting out a recording or making a record, that will probably happen for me within the next two years or so but im young, im only 20.

Everything from that to Songs & Themes is great. Favorite album is The Sweetness of the Water; most listened-to track is probably "Dereks." John Coxon also ran a record label, Treader, with many of these players and some notable additions (Alex Ward, Steve Noble, Pat Thomas, etc.) that produced albums in a very similar vein to the last two Thirsty Ear releases. Highly recommend Cremated Thoughts, Trio With Interludes, Live in Antwerp, Clapham Duos, Swallow Chase, Clarinet Record, and JEMS from the catalog. Haven't been able to get a hold of Evan Parker with Birds or John Tchicai with Strings though; rarely pop up on discogs, John Coxon does CD only, and they're "out of print"

bump

bitch!

is elvin jones the greatest jazz drummer of all time?

i'm not too well-versed in theory or drumming but solely from listening i've never heard anyone that has come close to him.

hard bop is very rooted in bebop-style soloing and places emphasis on swing (and sometime Afro-Cuban feel), blues, and often gospel influence

post-bop is also ultimately rooted in bebop, but incorporates a much wider spectrum of other approaches including modality, "free" playing, complex/unusual compositions and structures

one of the best, listen to tony williams

I know Tony and he's great, but thnx anyway

Anyone care to suggest great Anthony Braxton albums that aren't from the 70s (recorded, not released), date and aren't: Quartet (Santa Cruz) 1993; Willisau (Quartet) 1991; Duets 1987; or Wesleyan (12 Altosolos) 1992. Realized I've listened to like 30 Braxton albums but they're almost all from the '70s, when I know he's probably consistently put out great stuff. Enjoyed 3 Compositions (2011) from last year.

I like the Pittsburgh Duets with Ben Opie (from like 2010 or so), I also think the 'Charlie Parker Project' he did in the 90s is worth checking out.

Tipico was really good. Zenon's compositions have a very strong sense of melody. Very catchy while still maintaining rhythmic complexity.