youtube.com/watch?v=S0-coASIjkQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Jrd5JEoqtmc
youtube.com/watch?v=z2GOsOnaseI
youtube.com/watch?v=ip1usqfHFOc
youtube.com/watch?v=5lYZcIC6bqU
youtube.com/watch?v=pkuR-vzQY4Y
youtu.be/vKOekWuzk3o
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Smooth Jazz is the plebbiest of Jazz genres, despite it being the best.

Is that supposed to be a bad thing?

>implying that's a bad thing

>Ed
A Love Supreme

>Eddy
Kind of Blue

>Double D
The Black Saint

The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady is for sure, but the rest aren't at all as they don't have the straightforward grooves nor the simple improvisations.

>Ed Edd And Eddy Music

>ed edd and eddy music
sides gone

youtube.com/watch?v=RR6BTz21VBE

:thinking:

Switch ALS and TBS around as ALS has the most intelligent improvisations of the three while TBS' playing is kinda dumb in comparison but the most upbeat.

unironically patrician

>ed edd and eddy music
JAZZ ETERNALLY BTFO

this is funniest post i've seen on Sup Forums in months

>you now realize ed edd n eddy subliminally made you into a patrician

>ed edd and eddy music

I fucking hated that show. Fucking Canadians man.

to be honest, jazz sounds all the same
>muh improvisations
>muh scales
>muh arpeggios
>muh fast tempo
>muh extended chords

this shit go hard as hell!!!!!!

i don't care what you faggots think, bitches brew fucking rules

hey, man, you can like whatever you want

That episode is a fucking classic.

>muh improvisations
The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady doesn't focus on them at all; neither does 20s dancey kind of jazz or some of the more composition focused stuff.
>muh scales
Free jazz doesn't use scales at all, with modal only messing with modes
>muh arpeggios
But jazz is far too chromatic to be sheer arpeggio based. You must be confusing it with rock and electronic music.
>muh fast tempo
Kind Of Blue and really the cool jazz genre is anything but fast
>muh extended chords
It adds more variety that is otherwise sorely lacking. Even without them it tends to be far more harmonically versatile than rock/pop.

Comparatively, all rock based music has far less variety in rhythms and melodies while staying in G major/E minor 99% of the time. Hip hop is literally watered down jazz because even after focusing on the just the rhythmic aspect it still doesn't have the variety of rhythms jazz does. Don't forget electronic music that somehow manages to be simpler than even 20s pop jazz.

>Ed edd and Eddie music

True or not I've now been unintentionally listening to Miles Davis for longer than ten minutes. Thanks Sup Forums.

That's wrong but I laughed anyway

wouldn't this be considered swing?

Fucking kek

Nigga, Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is one of the greatest albums of all time. Don't you be dissing it. Solo Dancer is a masterpiece.

Are there people that don't think that Bitches brew fucking rule?

Canadians are weird

This is my favorite post of the year

youtube.com/watch?v=FPx6X1pkWUg

Nah, it's pretty boring jazz that's usually loved by people who can't into the more obtuse structure of straight up improv focused jazz.

EEnE producers clearly used DXM

shit that makes sense

If you told me Miles Davis did this, I wouldn't fucking know.

Is there any cool jazz (not "cool jazz") that it just easy-listening? Not this boop bop bebop shit where it's just random farts for 8 minutes bookended by an actual cute melody.

Ex. Duke Ellington - Indigos
youtube.com/watch?v=010HgqXxAFE

Easy, ECM style jazz
youtube.com/watch?v=6FphzEbelcY

>mfw they got miles davis to compose the original soundtrack for ed edd n eddy online

Black Saint tries to accomplish something different though, however there are style great solos and improvisations. Kind of blue is more for those that can't get into the structure of most jazz because it's very accessible and not abrasive

It's not the only cartoon based OST like this.

Space Ghost Coast To Coast literally had Sonny Sharrock do the OST.

youtube.com/watch?v=e1Geg6ywbYc

>hating ed edd n eddy
ISHYGDDT

Yeah, and it's not that great at that either. It tries to be a more compositional work, but it lacks the level of detail to truly be on that serious level.
>Kind of blue is more for those that can't get into the structure of most jazz because it's very accessible and not abrasive
It's not abrasive, that's really it though. One usually needs to be a pretty seasoned listener of jazz to really pick up on what's going on with Miles' negative space shenanigans. Too many people I know who think it's boring background music tier stuff.

Are you human?

Well what exactly is it lacking?

Shit taste.

what op posted is not smooth jazz. if you didn't mean that, sorry for misinterpreting you,
jazz fusion is where it's at nowadays for jazz. smooth jazz is a close second.

this is pretty fire desu

I only ask because I think it's insanely detailed, there's constant harmony, always something to pick up with every listen, always a new melody to pull out of it, melodies(as well as passionate performances) that really hit hard, for me at least.

Cartoon Network in general got great musicians to make music for them.

This is a collaboration between Tom Jones and the Flaming Lips
youtube.com/watch?v=g4PVLzR9XcY

This is a compilation of various hip hop artists that dedicated songs to a new season of Dexter's Lab
youtube.com/watch?v=YPPHq3aQ3s4
Notable artists on it are Will.I.Am, De La Soul, Prince Paul, and Coolio

This video was directed by Primal Scream
youtube.com/watch?v=xelgWxN57O8

Soul Coughing
youtube.com/watch?v=S0-coASIjkQ

Apples in Stereo
youtube.com/watch?v=Jrd5JEoqtmc

Calexico
youtube.com/watch?v=z2GOsOnaseI

Fantastic Plastic Machine
youtube.com/watch?v=ip1usqfHFOc

Devo
youtube.com/watch?v=5lYZcIC6bqU

Correction, it's not primal scream, but primal screen, but still: Cartoon Network just had so many great musicians come in to make music for them during the early 2000s and it was great.

Mainly detailed stuff like melodic development that it eschews in favor of what almost sound like pop hooks and repeated soloing bits (eg. that guitar part when it comes in again is almost or exactly the same as the first time). This also results in very little harmonic movement as well since those melodies need to be repeated on the grooves that themselves are repeated. It's at that point becoming closer to good old pop music than anything like jazz of its time. The album's main draw is its weaving of arrangements, but it's approach is similar to what one is usually taught to do in the beginning of music school where it's just a lot of instruments come in at once following just one or two instruments or it's a slower one at a time approach. Nothing like say....the intro bit to Symphony No. 9 where you hear bits and pieces of the arrangement play at different times before it all comes together or a Salvatorre Sciarrino piece where the "base" instrument that might stay while the rest comes in changes based on progression.

>Black Saint
>lacking level of detail
Have you actually listened to the record? Just listen to the first song Solo Dancer and you'll notice tons of sonic detail and impressive unique musical elements.

is this bebop? hard bop?

Having a ton of instruments play samey stuff altogether doesn't make great music automatically.

Sounds interesting, but Mingus, even at his most artsy, was a very unpretentious musician. This album was described by Mingus as "ethnic folk dance music" and wasn't even given the title of jazz by Mingus (he once stated "'jazz' means 'nigger'") plus it was written as a ballet, showing that he wasn't trying to even accomplish the same tasks as "jazz of its time", and more for a traditional, composed yet open to improvisation third stream album, third stream being a genre that doesn't try to sound like Symphony No. 9 or a Miles Davis improvisation, and if you don't like it as a third stream album I think that's pretty much a matter of taste.

Also I was wondering if there was any theory that could show that the music on TBS sounds like "pop hooks" or if you are just saying it sounds that way in the same way OP is saying jazz sounds like Ed Edd and Eddy music.

Goddamn this show had good animation.

Also the guitar bit was written out by Mingus when he was younger, and before you say it sounds cliche like many others have said, Mingus stated that it was there to reflect the Spanish Inquisition, so it has a more traditional chord progression. Every line, every instrument was on TBS for a reason

Just because it's in the same key or just because you can't tell the difference between a contrabass trombone and a saxophone doesn't mean it's "samey"

Calling the album ballet is absurd because it sounds nothing like a ballet and has nowhere the detail of ballet music. No, I think it's a very weak third stream album especially considering that the genre was already achieving so much just ten years before it came out with the likes of City Of Glass. To compare it to contemporary stuff...it wouldn't even be close as they have achieved things by combining large orchestral arrangements and jazz playing that Mingus couldn't have hoped to do in his life.

>Also I was wondering if there was any theory that could show that the music on TBS sounds like "pop hooks" or if you are just saying it sounds that way in the same way OP is saying jazz sounds like Ed Edd and Eddy music.
Most melodic phrases on the record are repeated, and they are simple 2-4 measure bits.

>spanish inquisition
So he went for the musical equivalent of le black face with watermelon?
>Just because it's in the same key or just because you can't tell the difference between a contrabass trombone and a saxophone doesn't mean it's "samey"
Oh I can definitely tell the difference. Everyone is still playing very close to each other both melodically and harmonically.

How in the hell does a Spanish guitar interlude reflecting the music and hardships of that time, while comparing that to the struggles of black people of the 60s equate to
>le funny meme melon ha

>it sounds nothing like a ballet
What do you want it to sounds like typical ballet music? You'd criticize it for that if it was like that

>combined jazz playing and large orchestral arrangements that Mingus couldn't have hoped to do in his life
Maybe because his music didn't try to do that and instead try to be more soulful and powerful and energetic instead of focusing on all-for-the-image music that would get the average /r/beethoven browser cream at the thought of "large orchestral arrangements"

>repeated 2-4 phrases
This doesn't mean it's bad and Miles did that a lot, "So What" does this very thing. And before you say something like "but they soloed over that" most of track a has a solo over top of the grooves

>oh I can tell the difference
Congratulations, also just because the instruments are playing close together doesnt mean it's bad, complexity doesn't equal quality (even though it can help) and TBS shows more fiery, passionate playing and well crafted melodies than any Beethoven composition or modern bandcamp coffee jazz album

youtube.com/watch?v=pkuR-vzQY4Y

literally all music uses scales you fucking neanderthal

rude desu

That show has an amazing soundtrack

>

EDEDNEDDY

*whistle noises*

I realized the reason I like jazz so much is because EEnE was my favorite show as a kid.

I fucking love CN for getting me into Soul Coughing. Rolling is a god-tier song.

That's still shit compared to classical.

Japanese Jazz best jazz
youtu.be/vKOekWuzk3o

This thread is a real eye opener

this is the best thread this year lmao

did jordan peele take the bogpill?

>ed edd and eddy music
MY SIDES

space ghost more like BASED GHOST

so according to rym author of ed, edd and eddy music recorded at least one album of barry guy, holy shit

It's great isn't it?

ITT: Idiots who didn't knew Ed Edd n Eddy music was jazz

Jazz is gay as fuck

fuck I'm late on this, good thread anyway

this is pretty good

who doesn't like Bitches Brew?

Jazz sucks

>using gay as an insult

>mfw i never saw ed edd n eddy growing up

Hell, I'm Canadian and never really liked it.

I don't care how cheesy it gets, still fun and good

Jazz is really cheesy and soulless.

Didn't the creator literally start out the whole idea as a rule 34 sketch?

>GrimsTaskForc

Problem?

>Problem?
Since 2014.

Fuck yes my dude. It's one of those albums that in a way think is just an 8 or 9 but i also feel it's a strong 10

Mark Mothersbaugh never fails to amaze me

Holy shit Robert Schneider from The Apples in Stereo lives a couple streets away from me

It's clearly Monsters Inc music brah

>soulless
The exact opposite actually.

My computer has more soul than jazz.