Fuck it

Let's get a country thread going.
What have you guys been listening to lately?
Favorites?
Thoughts on the current state of country?
>pic related
>David Allen Coe and Merle Haggard
>not a fan, but there always hidden gems

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=D4Isg1oq4gs
youtube.com/watch?v=qsTOpaTsUeI
youtu.be/NOZe8Ubfa3w
youtube.com/watch?v=oLJv3TAMpGY
youtube.com/watch?v=qLd1q0x9Nd4
youtube.com/watch?v=BR-OafvRv68
youtube.com/watch?v=uDBv_-i3b7g
youtube.com/watch?v=c29iAife3-o
youtube.com/watch?v=W2ufo0wc4R8
youtube.com/watch?v=rP2KYjVZxc4
youtube.com/watch?v=yl3w9P5mUVg
youtube.com/watch?v=iYxpOqy0BhM
youtube.com/watch?v=0DCtoyXpM1k
youtube.com/watch?v=VaaAo8arVjo
youtu.be/-rmkagJMjdg
youtu.be/7uwPK-mzGKs
youtu.be/qAJAlNMM_iw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

People on this board actually listen to good country?

At least 1 does

>What have you guys been listening to lately?
Favorites?
I heard pic related today and was blown away.
I'll admit, i'm still in the honeymoon stage with this album but i honestly could not spot any flaws. Every song has a hook, every melody is memorable. Lyrically ...well it isn't Faulkner but it isn't "Body Like A Backroad" either. I'll put it another way, the lyrics don't drag it down.
youtube.com/watch?v=D4Isg1oq4gs

>Thoughts on the current state of country?
Mainstream Country is a disgrace. A National embarassment. The Americana/Roots scene is moving back to center, after last year's batch of boundary-pushers. If I wasn't such a social retard I'd make the trip to this year's AmericanFest. Also The Drive-By Truckers are going to win AOTY at the Americana Music Awards.

Nice I'll give it a listen tomorrow.

Thrash metal
>has anyone listened to nergals country band?

Been listening to a lot of hank III, David Allen coe, and Townes van zant.
>thoughts on modern country
There's plenty of good stuff, you need to dig for it.

favorite musicians: merle haggard. hank williams, willie nelson, waylon jennings, lefty fritzell, don edwards, jimmie rodgers Kris Kristofferson

Pic related is another solid shot of straightforward Country from this year.
youtube.com/watch?v=qsTOpaTsUeI

you won't regret.
7/10
definitely in my Top 30 Country AOTY's of 2017.

nope.
link me.

make that 2

youtu.be/NOZe8Ubfa3w

New Bobby Bare.
His cover of this old Mary Gauthier song will remind what a perfect song it was.
youtube.com/watch?v=oLJv3TAMpGY

What are your favorite live country albums (besides Folsom/obvious classics)?

Particularly some with good backup players (Lloyd Green's steel work is fucking great on this album)

Also from this year.
Judging from that album title and cover art you wouldn't expect this music to have much of a pulse.
youtube.com/watch?v=qLd1q0x9Nd4

Sounds like murdered by death

discovered this Cactus Blossoms album recently. It's a fun one.
youtube.com/watch?v=BR-OafvRv68

the percussion's a bit hokey. And the chanted chorus makes it sound downright pirate'y but I love me some moody Alt. Country. I'll give it a listen. It's definitely scratching my Nick Cave itch. The Skeleton Tree didn't really do it for me. But that children's choir... good God.

This year's Fred Eaglesmith is pretty killer.
There's a 4 song stretch that begins with this one that's pretty damn perfect.
youtube.com/watch?v=uDBv_-i3b7g

Half Bluegrass, Half Country, All gold.
youtube.com/watch?v=c29iAife3-o

her voice takes a little getting used to but once you get past it, you're in for a good time.
youtube.com/watch?v=W2ufo0wc4R8

Wasn't expecting much when I put this one on but I was pleasantly surprised when it blew right past my low expectations and turned into one of my favorites from this year. It's more Blues than Country but good music is good music.
youtube.com/watch?v=rP2KYjVZxc4

Recommending the crap out of this one.
Not strictly Country but if you give it a chance, it'll wow ya.
youtube.com/watch?v=yl3w9P5mUVg

Another Country/Bluegrass hybrid.
Lots of those this year.
Don't miss this one.
It's compelling stuff to be sure.
youtube.com/watch?v=iYxpOqy0BhM

The album Jason Isbell was trying to make.
youtube.com/watch?v=0DCtoyXpM1k

Last one, the reigning Queen of Australian Roots music released a double album this year and it's so, so good. Don't sleep on it.
youtube.com/watch?v=VaaAo8arVjo

love charlie pride, he was my dad's favorite

youtu.be/-rmkagJMjdg
youtu.be/7uwPK-mzGKs
youtu.be/qAJAlNMM_iw

The rift between actual country and radio/bro/moron country is getting ever bigger. Tell me, are "Body like a Backroad" and "Parachute" by Chris Stapleton the same genre? No way in hell.

Songs on country radio are mainly commercials for pickup trucks or beer made by artists that are only interested in bragging "how country they are" and using the same cliches over and over again. Their fans are pretty much made up of white trash and suburban wanna-be rednecks who have decided to base their personality on the modern commercialized notion of "redneck culture." eg. Taking the jacked up POS to take up two spots at Walmart.

I think that those people should get their own genre/radio stations and fans of real country music should get ours. I think that this is actually possible because the biggest radio network in the US, ClearChannel AKA iHeart is going out of business. Their stations could be sold off and we could have small local stations that play real "alternative" or "neotraditional" country music. There could be other independent stations that cater to the people who like Bro-country. I think there is a market for both. We'll see if it happens. It probably won't. But I'm curious if it is possible. Wouldn't it be great to hear Jason Isbell or Sturgill Simpson n the radio?