What chord is this?

what chord is this?

first that comes to mind is a C7(#9) without the b7th, even though technically the Eb would be a D# in that case. I could also see it as a partial chord from E harmonic minor (again, technically D# instead of Eb).

The double E's just strike me as bad notation, one of them should be replaced with an enharmonic equivalent, depending on what makes more sense in the broader context.

yes

My head hurted

Csus2-->Csus4

it's like that chord in Purple Haze, but not quite

major minor?

or minor major?

What would you recommend reading or studying to understand what your saying and to be able to talk confidently about it like you? I'm not and never will be a professional, but I really like music and want to learn for my own sake.

C - Eb - E - G
1 - 3b - 3 - 5
C - D# - E - G
1 - 2# - 3 - 5

It's a C major with an augmented 2nd

Don't ask him, he's wrong, there is no seventh in that chord.

or a c minor with a diminished 4th...
who cares anyway? it's a retarded chromatic chord that sounds like dogshit

Considering the key states that it is in C major, and there is a flat and natural accidental instead of a sharp and natural accidental, the chord would technically be a C major with the aug 2 rather than the Cmin with dim 4th

>first that comes to mind is a C7(#9) without the b7th,

hmm

Why even say that?
It's a 1 - 3 - 5 with a flat 3.
You wouldn't say "hmm, It looks like a E#min9 without the 9 and the 7 and with a sharpened 3rd and it's in C instead" you would say "it's a Cmaj"

I'm kind of blanking on one particular book that might offer that.

If you're a guitarist, Ted Greene's book Chord Chemistry was very helpful with naming/understanding extended/altered chords, and also has a shitload of good examples on voice-leading. Jody Fisher's Jazz Guitar Method also helped me with that stuff.

I brought that up in my post, and I wasn't trying to claim anything "definitive," just what "comes to mind" as a closest comparison to a familiar chord. There's probably a more proper name, but I don't know it. I just saw it as some kind of partial chord, which are extremely common in jazz harmony.

That sounds so fucking complicated

I have a simple reason for saying that.

7(#9) chords are extremely common and familiar in jazz, blues and rock. And I've never heard anyone ever say "1 - 3 - 5 with a flat 3" before you. Not saying you're wrong, but it's not common practice in my experience. I'm using what I'm used to instead of throwing unfamiliar jargon into the mix.

He doesn't know what he's talking about and he's communicating in a really inefficient roundabout way.

That shit op posted is not complicated and very basic shit. I know because I know virtually nothing but can see that it's a C major chord. The other E confused me but as someone said its the 2nd note of the C scale augmented by 1 so it's called an Caug2 chord.

closed C minor add10

i dont know what im talking about ive just started reading theory

ITT: Nerds

>He doesn't know what he's talking about and he's communicating in a really inefficient roundabout way.
>literally proceeds to make up a nonsense chord

It's the notation that fucked my shit up. Enharmonics are our friends.

It's not a bad chord if you spread out the notes over a couple octives

Don't know, don't care

C major add #9 (if you count that Eb as a D#, because otherwise, it wouldn't make sense)...

bad notation kys

If what you just described were the case, the Eb in that chord would've been written as a D# - which, fyi, is the only thing wrong with the C7#9 and the alt chords suggested earlier.
Literally whatever scenario you go with, the main issue is that OP is bad annotation.

The Eb is just a "blue note". It's not really supposed to make sense.

everyone else in this thread is wrong. the name of that chord is C (3!), which is read as "C with a split third" or "C with a doubly inflected third"

also source for this is kostka's materials and techniques of post-tonal music

3! is 6 though

that's not what the ! symbol means in this context

"is the chord major or minor?"
"yes"

Nice. Thanks for sharing this.

this is meme theory for a meme chord

This.

It's really not. It has all the basic notes of a C major triad (C, E and G), plus an Eb. Chords are typically considered as a note with a third and a fifth (The C with the E as the third and the G as the fifth) so for the sake of consistency we keep counting up in odd numbers extensions are added. That means that the 7th of a C chord is a B and the 9th is a D. We don't have a B, which is why the 7th is omitted, and we have an Eb which is equivalent to a D# (they're the same black key, basically). That tells us that there is a 9th and that is it sharp.

If that's your first exposure to modern western theory then yeah it's probably going to seem slightly daunting but this is literally something that anybody could learn in an afternoon if they wanted to.