Why exactly is a shit band like Joy Division still considered cool nowadays while this isn't?

Why exactly is a shit band like Joy Division still considered cool nowadays while this isn't?

Will hipster chicks also dig this? This is both intellectual and party music and Joy Division is neither.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/5fbXfk51R1o
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

both gang of four and jd are entry lvl post punk shit
fuck off

but Joy Division is shit entry level post-punk and Gang of Four is entry level post-punk that's also among the best

cute hipster chicks aren't into dry as fuck political post-punk, fella

also the Entertainment! sleeve may work as a situationist jape, it simply doesn't work as a t-shirt

This is an abstract sort of bait

Joy Division have the same legacy as, say, The Velvet Underground. The amount of influence they've had basically canonised them.

Gang of Four is alright but I don't feel like it's aged well and it isn't as important historically. The lyrics are so overly serious it's nearly cheesy and the guitar work isn't anything other bands didn't do better.

jd guy died early and had that
wounded junky look.
looks+early drug death+ semi-fame while alive = fame = girl cruchs

Musically I think gang of four are the better band. But they just don't have the tragedy.

what girl would support a song called damaged goods dumbass?

me

>Joy Division have the same legacy as, say, The Velvet Underground
lol is this what JD fans want to believe?

>Gang of Four is alright but I don't feel like it's aged well and it isn't as important historically.
then how did Franz Ferdinand basically rip off and shit on this whole aesthetic to commercial success many decades later? they literally tried "heh we have no talent whatsoever but let's take entertainment and like add this watered down mainstream indie rock garbage on top of it and people will eat it up" and pulled it off

>The lyrics are so overly serious it's nearly cheesy and the guitar work isn't anything other bands didn't do better.
this album is a wonder of amazing songwriting talents put to work and guitar is just there to give it an edge I feel. it's all about the bass/drums interplay

>one band that was popular for less than 2 years makes it historically important
hmm that really makes me think.

>then how did Franz Ferdinand basically rip off and shit on this whole aesthetic to commercial success many decades later?

they didn't, listen to Josef K

>lol is this what JD fans want to believe?

joy division created the prototype of the entire alt rock/indie scene.

This album gives me cognitive dissonance because it's so fucking good but at the same time I despise communism so I only listen to it every now and then.

what makes music historically important to you? influence? if so, then franz ferdinand might be the most obnoxious but not the only example as there are many more much better bands that also probably got cues from them (like ESG) and as is mostly likely about anything that gets called "dance punk" nowadays. popularity? I guess they aren't extremely well known, but it's one of the first names that you always hear when you ask about post-punk. even as symbolic significance this could be treated as the definite birth of white boy funk

>they didn't, listen to Josef K
I have, they aren't bad but that's another band that got a lot of its sound from Gang of Four

>joy division created the prototype of the entire alt rock/indie scene.
yeah, but mostly the bad part of it really. TVU affected pretty much everything

Just give in mate, give up your commie hate

>>>/gulag/

Aesthetics

Joy Division is a way more marketable brand.

ucci

>me
okay girl (male)

WHITE NOISE IN
A WHITE ROOM

But Entertainment! is danceable, even more so than Joy Division.

Given that Andy is still alive, doesn't have a mental illness, and is still touring, there's not that much to make a movie about.
Entertainment! is probably one of the top 5-10 albums of the 70's in terms of importance and they went on to influence well into the 80's.
Not really sure how you can compare JD with GO4 anyway they're just really different bands.

youtu.be/5fbXfk51R1o

aint nobody putting on gang of four and dancing nigga

>supporting a song
what did he mean by this

This is the only good album Gang of Four ever put out.

The next logical step after this are the first two Killing Joke albums.

>This is both intellectual

Andy Gill dropped any and all pretenses of artistry and social/political authenticity(though GO4's Reads-Marx-once posturing was pretty hard to take seriously to begin with) and spent years trying to reinvent himself as a new wave popstar the second Gang Of Four managed to score a moderate chart hit with I Love A Man In Uniform.
Gang Of Four were full of shit and you shouldn't mistake their lyrics for anything particularly profound or genuine. Leftist politics were just an aesthetic choice for them, the same way big hair and shitloads of lipstick and black eyeliner were an aesthetic choice for The Cure.

Gang Of Four were about as communist as The Clash, which is to say that they were extraordinarily greedy and extraordinarily pompous capitalists in a left-wing costume.
Andy Gill produced the first Red Hot Chili Peppers record, for fuck's sake. He also absolutely despised the sort of music that RHCP were making but worked with them anyway because he wanted the money. How's that for principles?

He didn't overdose, though, it was death by hanging.

Lmao I never noticed that. Thanks user, I guess they're just faux-commies then. I can deal with that.

> i'm 15yo I just discovered rym

kys fucking cunt

Entertainment! and Solid Gold were both good to great albums. Everything else they ever did was really, really bad. If they ended in 1980 like JD did, their reputation would likely be a lot better. I don't like political music at all so the lyrical content definitely is a detractor for me, but the rhythm section more than makes up for it.

lol

He overdosed on rope.

I do.