Only God Forgives is the definition of mediocre...

Only God Forgives is the definition of mediocre. Only someone so far up their own ass who likes the smell and taste of shit could actually like this. People think this is a masterpiece. The people who respond to you on Sup Forums and call you a pleb are Only God Forgives fans. This has to be one of the most pathetic auteur circlejerks I've seen. Dedicated to Jodorowsky? He doesn't deserve vapid trash with his name slapped on it.

OK. Here's your (You)

its not mediocre its just bad

The look on Ryan Gosling's face says all we need to say about your post.

It's the weakest of Refn's last four, easily, but mostly because it's boring. Demon was pretty and dynamic, Drive had a well enough plot, and Valhalla was a nice level of what the fuck am I watching. I didn't see the rest.

>get btfo in the webm thread
>makes a thread because he's still upset
What a fantastic response.

> pathetic auteur circlejerks
> vapid trash
>not understanding refn's point

maybe because Refn is a terrible filmmaker who can make pretty images and that's about it?

Agreed refn is a parody of himself

Agreed

Wanna fight?

What is pasta

>Refn is a terrible filmmaker who can make pretty images

This is almost like saying "Bach us a terrible composer who can make pretty sounds"

What the fuck does that mean. Images are what films consist of. They are not the only thing but the most important thing for sure.

People can't shift gears and appreciate different methods of using this medium. Yeah, films that bank on the imagery and music are like overblown music videos, but they're still highly enjoyable.

ogf is my favorite movie of all time here's your (you)

He is a one trick pony. Literally should be a commercial director

They aren't enjoyable to people who want to actually give a shit about something that isn't autistic

That's sad. This board is truly dead.

if this same movie was a korean production you'd suck its dick

lol ok

>angry because they're not smart enough to understand the film
pleb

It's shitty. But if you can't enjoy it ironically, you're the one up his own ass

didn't know it was dedicated to jodorowsky. It makes even more sense now. The fountain has always been one of my favorite movies, this one is another one of them.
Bravo jodorowsky, bravo refn, truly your masterpiece. Sad that we'll (probably) never see anything of this stature again by you. I feel like you peaked. But it was a beautiful peak. Thanks a lot.

Let's pretend that Refn's films don't have anything going for them in the story, that they're all vacuous (even though they're not)

Explain why film needs something other than aesthetically pleasing images and sounds to be good. Because I don't get it. Music by itself is aesthetically pleasing, everyone agrees with that. Good photographs and paintings are aesthetically pleasing without needing to have some "deep message". How is film different?

it's not you're talking to autists

refn's interior tracking shots through hallways are particularly instructive on how effectively using space has less to do with, well, just using it, and more with connecting spaces and imbuing them with concepts, moods and conflict. even worse, refn's arrogant confidence in his ability leads to endless moving camera moments that fail to convey anything. With nearly no dialogue aside from kristin scott thomas' laughable, vulgar exclamation her character is neither the intimidating source of oedipal desire nor the comic relief it seems refn was intending her to be. the film’s trashy setting and even trashier attitude is, I suppose, an attempt at digging into something gritty and dark and exploiting it for effect.
instead, refn's pretension to transcend this trashiness is an exposing failure. the over-calculated visual ideas (embarrassingly, actors repeatedly walk to the center of the frame, in slow motion no less, and turn their head toward the camera), the dark sense of humour buried beneath the film's layers of self-seriousness, the lack of dynamism either within or between images, all add up to a film that is less than the sum of its already paltry parts

why does this movie have so many pastas?

pro-tip: ogf is a pleb fitler, and, OP, I've got bad news...

because its a pleb flick for plebs by a pleb director

You're blinded. Refn uses the same on the nose metaphors. Kek for not being able to see how devoid his directing is.

because there's so many permavirgins that don't understand the movie.
Like the world would actually be a better place if they just ended themselves.

First of all, my post totally excluded the notion of the stories or metaphors in his work so I don't know why you included me.

Second, I really don't see a fundamental problem with "on the nose" metaphors, if they make sense and are done logically. I mean for fuck's sake, Dostoyevsky is one of the most appreciated authors in the history of the world and his books are filled with characters spelling out the philosophical ideas of the author directly through dialogue.

And for some reason when Refn does metaphors in a film like in the form of Elle Fanning's characters kissing herself in a mirror, or Jena Malone's character bathing in blood it's suddenly "too on the nose"? I don't get it. It's like you people want the point to be as obfuscated as possible so you can pretend to be more intelligent when you figure it out.

eh, this

do NOT compare refn to cucktino.
They have nothing to do with each other. Cucktino is a cuck who makes pop movies for plebs. Refn is a great director. I didn't say ZE BEST OF ALL TIMEZ. I said great. It doesn't matter wether you see it or not, he's one of the greats. Along with jodorowsky.

ITT: stop liking things I don't like