What was the point of this scene? Surely I'm missing something...

What was the point of this scene? Surely I'm missing something, it can't just be "o luk superpowers!" out of the blue like that, can it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xGy_wgWvge0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember thinking it had something to do with some unseen force from the restricted area affecting the child. So yeah, pretty much "o look, superpowers".

Kind of a disappointing ending after two hours of deep and engrossing "nature of man" discussion

It forces you to take a side. Are you the man of faith who believes the rumors that she has some mysterious telepathic power? Or are you the man of science who sees the moving cups caused by the oncoming train (as demonstrated in the opening scene by causing the whole house to shake).

It's literally just an "it was all a dream... OR WAS IT?" moment.

really makes one ponder

nope

this scene had my noggin dancin'

*adjusts ushanka*

Kek. Enlighten us, user.

It's pretty clear she's telekinetic. he was inspired by footage of a """real""" telekinetic introduced to him by a Russian friend.

The story goes:
>"Thanks to Tarkovsky's passion for anything out of the ordinary a man called Eduard Naumov somehow ended up within our circle. He had made popular films about paranormal phenomena, organised lectures on the subject and I think he actually spent some time in prison for illegal sale of tickets for those mass gatherings of his. Tarkovsky's circle helped him as much as they could. Once Naumov showed us one of his films. The film showed Ninel Sergeyevna Kulagina who was a well-known psychic at the time. During the war she was a gunner-navigator on a fighter plane and she was shot down with the pilot by the Germans. Then she married that pilot and had three children. After her third child she discovered she had an ability for telekinesis — she moved objects with her sight. On the screen Kulagina, surrounded by a group of people looking like scientists, was sitting behind a table with a transparent top — to avoid any claims of forgery. On the table there was a lighter, a spoon, some other items. Kulagina's face darkened with exertion, she fixed her unblinking stare on the lighter which followed her gaze. Tarkovsky attentively watched Naumov's film and after it was finished he immediately exclaimed: «Well, what do you say, here is the ending for Stalker!»

Dat no make a no sense. Why would everything else be completely still?

Is Naumov's film available anywhere?

idk fám, but that ain't it

youtube.com/watch?v=xGy_wgWvge0

Looks like we won the interpretation game, OP >Muh. Super. Powers

If it was clear what it was, there would be no question.

why was she monkey????????

tabletop isnt transparent

She looks like she would have been hot when she was younger. Would havw loved to have sired mutant children with her.

Anyway, how did they do this? I'm obviously skeptical, but if it were a Soviet hoax, you'd think they'd do something more impressive.

the telekinesis happens long before the train comes and does so in silence with no vibrations. that theory is dumb.

magnets and under-the-table shenanigans. It was hardly a controlled environment as Naumov set the whole thing up himself and did all the "see? no strings" physical checks.

His entire life's work was convincing people that the paranormal exists, which strangely parallels Stalker to a T.

Perhaps that's why Tarkovsky was inspired by him.

>Well, what do you say, here is the ending for Stalker!

She was supposed to be hairy like one but Tarkovsky said fuck it
What a hack

Jesus christ you're dumb. That's the fucking point. It's done in such a way so that it's not obviously the train, but the only plausible explanation for the man of science would be that it HAS to be the train, the very notion of some telekinetic power is so preposterous that it can't even be taken as a possibility despite there being the such a long delay moving the cups and the shaking of the house due to the train. Meanwhile the man of faith is willing to acknowledge the delay as proof that it couldn't have been the train and therefore she has powers.

A man of science would also say the Zone is complete bullshit

It also a major element of the source novel for the movie. which is quite good and a easy read.

"Roadside Picnic"

Wtf I hate Tarkovsky now

>faith
>proof

You haven't thought this through, you've just watched Lost

I most identify with the man of science but that theory is still dumb. a real man of science would say "inconclusive" or "in need of further research"

All these posts and only apparently one user read the source novel.

Good thing we're talking about the movie on the Television and Film board.

I'll give a read, cheers

Movie is based off a classic Soviet Novel. One would think that one might want to read the novel the movie is based off of.

Not really. There's a reason Tarkovksy is called an auteur.

Spoken like a user who never read the book. You do know the same people wrote the movie as well?

Doesn't matter. We're talking about the movie, not the book. If Tarkovsky wanted us to read the book he'd have put in a disclaimer somewhere in the movie.

Sometimes I forget that there are true autists on Sup Forums,

your post reminded me that they post here. Thanks user.

You're welcome.