Albums that sound like this?

I only recently bothered to get into Kanye, and after listening to every album of his, I think College Dropout is my favorite, so can anyone recommend some bouncy, colorful, weirdly produced (at least for hip hop standards, especially upon release) records like this?

This guy called Spose

Jay-Z's The Blueprint features a lot of Kanye's production and uses soul samples a lot, just like CD. Also check out his Black Album, a few Kanye beats and a lot of soul samples as well.

Jcole friday night lights and the warm up remind me of college dropout in terms of some of the content and the presentation of the material.

Is it bad that this was the first non-Beastie Boys Hip-Hop album I enjoyed? I remember listening to this a LOT during the summer of '08 or so. I kinda regret not exploring the genre more until a lot later. I missed so much ;_;

OP here, this, Deltron 3030, and Low End Theory are actually the three albums that got me into hip-hop, good suggestions.

In terms of subject matter and personality college dropout is pretty unique which is one of the reasons it's so great.

Nice dubs

It makes sense. Beastie Boys did very layered stuff in terms of their arrangements, and after Beastie Boys/Bomb Squad (Public Enemy's Producers)/De La Soul, Kanye's really the first big name hip hop artist that had big sounding arrangements, though rather than with samples like the earlier three Kanye did it by having a large ensemble cast.

That's a good point. I remember also trying to get into Jay-Z around that time and very little of his music did much for me. I think Kanye's stuff was very musical and since I was still primarily a Rock music fan it helped it click with me easier.

I second this

I've only listened to MBDTF, Late Registration, Yeezus, and most of Graduation. I really like MBDTF and Late Registration. Graduation was alright but I disliked Yeezus for the most part. Is College Dropout reminiscent of Late Registration or is it a different vibe?

I always imagined this album as a kind of spiritual sucessor to the miseducation of lauryn hill.

LR is CD but with some higher aspirations & a bit more bombast.

Honestly those are his only two albums that you can say have the same *general* sound.

They are but at the same time there's a pretty direct lineage between 808s, MBDTF and Yeezus.

Late Registration is sonically a sequel to College Dropout. CD is not as political, seems to take a more personal approach to lyrics. Also CD was made when Kanye's ego was almost small enough to be mistaken for a normal human's.

You can see the evolution between those albums but they still have much more distinct sounds.

I mean yeah. Honestly there's a thread you can follow through ALL of his albums, which is awesome. What a great discography so far!

I've only listened to it once but Life of Pablo was a bigger departure than any of his other albums at that point.

Man, I'm a huge Pablo defender, though. My argument for that is that it's pretty much a melting pot of EVERY sound he'd done up to now, particularly in the albums after the first two (since, like the other dude said, he could still be seen as human back then)

it's got alot of Yeezus' backbone with some nice digital beats with bars on top, 808s super-sad-feels tracks, Graduation's party tracks, MBDTF's braggadocio & honest description of him & his celebrity life, a million guests like Cruel Summer....I love it!

You are right, though, in that he's never stopped to wrap everything up for a minute and package it all together.

I love Yeezy, but I'm expecting the Pablo sound again on his next album. Cause once you do that, THEN where do you go? Especially when so many people have this same conversation as us, how every album is cool cause they're so unique?

>tfw you ran around the neighborhood in 04 with this cd skipping in your walkman and it feels like you never even lived that life

Okay cool, thanks guys. I'll have to give it a listen now.