Sup Forums I'm gonna stop drinking alcohol

Sup Forums I'm gonna stop drinking alcohol.
My father was an alcoholic and whenever I start drinking I often can't seem to stop and pass out due to drinking too much. I might be one as well or be turning into one and that scares me.

Today I'm hungover, I don't know what I did for most of yesterday's night and I think it's the right decision. I'm always scared because I don't know if I did something shitty or illegal.

Any anons that don't drink and can give some sort of tips to dealing with it? What do you usually drink?

take 3 benedryl when you start to drink at you'll fall asleep after the 3rd beer. can't over-consume while you're dreaming right.

I just down soda when i feel like i wanna drink
favourite is this German made Mezzo Mix, could find it at intentional stores

Take the money you would spend on alcohol and put it aside everytime you think about drinking. After a while look at all the money you saved and then spend it on something else.

been drinking heavily for 8 years. finally decided to stop 3 weeks ago. first week sucks and feels ,like a month. then you start feeling the effects and it feels good. you sleep better your happier etc. i lost 10 pounds in two weeks. buy kratom and use that when your bored. eat a healthy diet too while your detoxing and you'll really feel a difference

Thanks for the replies so far. Keep them coming.

I've drank too much for my entire adult life and only now have I had any success in not drinking for an extended period of time. I'm a little over 7 months sober, and unfortunately I don't have any quick tips.
One of the biggest things was learning to recognize thinking and behavior that I was engaging in purely because I knew it would lead to getting drunk.

In my experience, which is of course limited to only myself, this sort of thing doesn't end up being sustainable. I always ended up creating a new kind of drinking habit that eventually wound up being the same as the old one.
For me giving up alcohol entirely was the only solution I could get to stick.

OP if you're still around, very curious about your drinking habits and age.

I am still here yes. I'm 25. Been drinking since 17.
I don't drink many times, but when I do, it seems I fuck up/pass out very often and it saddens me. It sucks, mostly because of not knowing what I've done and what someone did to me.

That's the same age when I actually grasped I had a problem, though it sounds like I was drinking a lot more than you do.
Do you think you are going to have a hard time giving it up entirely?

Yeah, I do. When I'm not near alcohol I don't really miss it, but if someones drinking a beer next to me I always crave it and most of the times I'll go buy one for myself and then it just derails.

Throw out or give away all the booze in your house. Everytime you think about needing a drink get some water or seltzer water instead. Stop hanging around friends that like to drink. For me I like to drink when I have an evening off and play video games, I will drink so much I black out in an hour or so. If you feel compelled to drink and can't stop yourself try to eat a big meal and find a light beer that tastes like shit so you dont want to drink it. Stay busy with friends and family that don't drink.

You'll grow out of it, the hangovers keep getting worse till eventually you can't be bothered. Also when I'm in a relationship I don't drink so much

I'm 30 and I get drunk like once a month.

If you are feeling paranoid you did something bad, you probably didn't, paranoia is just a side affect of the gaba to glutamate rebound.

Also it's who you hang out with, try to find some friends into video games and go there on a Friday, you'll have a lot of fun and feel good the next day, just my advice.

To an Internet cafe*

I don't know , man, I always feel guilty as fuck. I always end up saying I'm gonna stop drinking and then I don't. But this time I have to or else I'm gonna fuck my life up.
The worst part is that I didn't use to drink this much. This started last year. I don't know why. I rarely had passed out before that. Maybe 3 or times and just this year has been dozens.
I really hope I didn't do anything bad. I do feel paranoid about it because I've done bad shit before while drunk.
I just hope I didn't so I can move on and stop altogether with a clean slate.

One big thing, again for me personally, is being able to connect the good feelings of getting drunk with all of the garbage that comes afterwards. When you think about having a drink try and keep the whole experience and consequences with you as get tempted to feel good in the moment.
This is a thing that simply gets easier as you get older. As you age your forebrain continues to develop into your 30's and the hangover of tomorrow becomes less abstract. It will get easier to say no to that drink.

Just want to 2nd that the paranoia is nearly always just that, and you didn't do anything terrible.

Thanks a lot for that support. I really hope so. If I did something illegal I probably would know by now, right? It's 11pm here. Cops probably would be knocking on my door by today, no?

hang in there OP. Everytime you feel the urge to drink, stop and visualize a reason to be sober. It could be a family member, a goal, a successful image of yourself in the future, etc. All of these things are worth way more in the long run than getting smashed in the moment.

You can only be accountable for yourself. And it's not going to be easy. But it is doable. Vaya con dios

Hum, I see

I would suspect so. I've been arrested once and I was very drunk at the time. I think there's a very low chance cops are going to be coming knocking days later for public urination.