Why was prog so hated yet metal seen as cool?

Why was prog so hated yet metal seen as cool?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=o1PkQsOdfdc
youtube.com/watch?v=rHBxJCq99jA
newyorker.com/magazine/2017/06/19/the-persistence-of-prog-rock
youtube.com/watch?v=PexuypIX8uU
youtube.com/watch?v=5gQBuGeAOQQ
billboard.com/artist/303893/iron-maiden/chart
billboard.com/artist/288497/black-sabbath/chart?f=305
billboard.com/artist/305333/judas-priest/chart?f=305
billboard.com/artist/310639/metallica/chart?f=305
billboard.com/artist/310366/megadeth/chart?f=305
billboard.com/artist/312021/m-tley-cr-e/chart?f=305
billboard.com/artist/279575/slayer/chart
youtube.com/watch?v=Kx_C28G_Hs4
youtu.be/RPZ2MrXhEpk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Good question. I think it has to do with the prog being more complicated than regular metal (non prog metal) or it dealing with more obscure lyrical topics. Idk I fucking love prog and some metal. Prog is super cool if people would just listen to it. Not everyone is going to like Yes and King Crimson but I guarantee everyone there is a prog band out there you can like

Because normies

because different people haven't different opinions. watch this: metal isn't cool

Metal is definitely not seen as cool by the average person

I've never met anybody who thinks this. Metal is usually the most hated upon genre (rightfully so imo) as far as i've seen

I think prog was just too nerdy. To the average person, SEBTP probably sounds like renaissance fair music. Meanwhile metal is all about muh cool riffs
>was
OP said was, so clearly he meant at the time.

What? Metal gets the most unfair amount of hate out of any genre that exists due to how obtuse the genre seems to anyone that is completely unfamiliar with it. Meanwhile prog shit usually tops lists everywhere, even the more overrated stuff like ITCOTCK (which often gets top rated despite being pop with some extended instrumental sections.)

A lot of prog is seen as really corny by a lot of people. Often, because of the lyrics and singing, long drawn out solos, and band's image. Metal has a similar corniness to it, but it draws in a larger audience, because it's edgy. Prog isn't edgy. People who listen to metal for the musical complexities and intricacies often also listen to prog.

At no point has metal been seen as cool by the average person

Metal was edgier. Prog rock was for nerds. I've never met an engineer that didn't like prog.

THIS. I listen to metal for those reasons and I first got into prog and now I am listening to metal

Prog was cool at first, then it got shitty as it went on and people were tired of it so they created Punk which killed it. Metal was cool at first but it got shitty because of nu-metal and all the subgenres it spawned and stopped being cool a long time ago.

I cannot wait for this shit to be cool again: youtube.com/watch?v=o1PkQsOdfdc

>metal
>cool
good one user.

It was mainstream for awhile. To a certain extent that means cool.

>It was mainstream for awhile
No it wasn't
>inb4 Nu Metal
Crossover genres don't count, you might as well say Industrial music was mainstream because NIN

...And Justice For All made it to number 6 on Billboard.

At no point has the average person ever been cool.

Dark Side of the Moon is one of the best selling albums of all time, that doesn't mean prog was cool

And Paranoid made it to number one on the British charts. It wasn't until Seventh Star that they weren't in the British top 20.

Single bands not account for the genre was a whole, otherwise I can make the argument that prog is much more mainstream and cool because of Pink Floyd and Mike Oldfield had number 1 albums on the billboard 200

Metallica is a really well known band. I dont think you can bump into someone who has never heard a Metallica song.

What self-respecting female saw metal as cool ever

Pink Floyd isn't even prog it's art rock/proto prog

More of a social backing behind metal.

Like punk, Metal isn't an actual musical genre. It's a social movement

women who weren't plebs or stupid

Prog is for fucking nerds. It's about like nerdy shit like fairies, quests, and BRAVE HELIOS, WAKE UP YOUR STEEDS!

Metal on the other hand is raw. Talks about death and suffering and dark shit and stuff I don't even know about because I can't tell what they're saying. That's cool.

So ugly chicks with triforce tattoos?

youtube.com/watch?v=rHBxJCq99jA

because it's really long metal songs without the energy behind it, like a step below power metal

Don't try to discuss something you aren't knowledgable about.

Paranoid has over a hundred million plays on Spotify, Smoke on the Water has 64 million whereas after Pink Floyd the most listened to classic Prog band on Spotify is Yes...because of Owner of a Lonely Heart, with 35 million. And there are no Lester Bang articles attacking Metal and no New Yorker articles defending Metal on grounds of it being considered lame.

newyorker.com/magazine/2017/06/19/the-persistence-of-prog-rock

This argument that Prog and Metal have the same general level of respect from the mainstream is odd, especially considering that a huge part of both Prog and Punk's history is Prog being to complicated and boring for rock listeners after a certain point.

youtube.com/watch?v=PexuypIX8uU

Heavy distortion.

Metal is brotier while most prog listeners act like their music choice is like being accepted into mensa.

There was the kind of prog about quests and wizards and shit, then there was the prog that was supposed to make you think. Both were despised by critics because they preferred simpler tunes about drugs and sex.

I like prog, I like metal, I hate prog metal.

I listened to that album for the first time the other day because it gets memed here HARDCORE, ALL THE TIME...
What a load of fucking shit.
I've never been so bored in my life, and my ex used to make me sit through Harry Potter films.

Prog CAN be cool.
That King Crimson album is the biggest meme ever.
Just because something's old, it doesn't mean it's good.

Hair metal chicks in the '80s

Yup. For some reason trying to be aggressive and sounding thoughtful at the same time doesn't work.

Neither of them were ever seen as cool

Try Symphony X.

youtube.com/watch?v=5gQBuGeAOQQ

That album is good tho. but not KC's best work

I always considered Symphony X to be power metal for some reason but, yeah, I like them. There's obviously some good bands in that genre.

Good quality non-prog metal is thoughtful looking past the surface aesthetic.

They are literally a combo on power, prog, and neoclassical.

Metal is a coping mechanism for reject highschool kids. It pumps you up enough to not kill yourself and you get to make friends in a similar situation. Once highschool is finished you get into prog because the sound is familiar and you're not as angry anymore because people around you start being more civilized and tolerant. After that it's pretty much free exploration without any boundaries with the occasional return to metal because of nostalgia.

You must know so much about metal because you listened to Slipknot in high school.

Nah, those are my elementary school years. I got into thrash and black metal afterwards. Then I stopped hanging with metalheads because they acted like cult member and called anyone who tried to discover new music posers. They're all alcoholics now.

Prog:
>Hey here's nuanced opinion on the Church of England and their place in the society of the early 1970s.

Metal:
>FUCK. BREAK. REEEEEEEEEEE

>gay nerd shit vs vulgar displays of power
gee I wonder which is more entertaining to listen to

Damn lol

more like vulgar display of power vs vulgar display of virtuosity

I'll show you virtuosity, buddy

sure, go ahead, pal (I really hope it's not Michael Angelo Batio)

Maybe take into account that you were in high school.

t. faggots who seem to miss that metal was at its peak in the 80s and literally fucking EVERYONE listened to at least black sabbath

Well that's what I said.

Punk killed prog. Rap killed metal.

Indie killed rap for a while but now days indie isn't as popular and rap is still huge.

Mars Volta's first album revived prog.

Metal was never mainstream, that's why every article about Nirvana says they killed it. Okay.

>ITCOTCK (which often gets top rated despite being pop with some extended instrumental sections.)

Metal was more badass

Metal was never seen as cool.

>metal was more badass
how and why? and another question is how would that make it good, if anything seems to be image focused which automatically makes it a candidate for ridicule and derision.

>dude prog is just 20-minute directionless solos lmao
The greatest meme of the 20th century.

No, he's actually correct, fool.

Metal was image-focused and music-focused at the same time. People knew what they were doing with their instruments.

Prog and jazz fusion is lowkey the coolest genre of rock. Normies just dont understand this.

If you really think that, it's just sad.

That goes for you too.

Ok. How many bands do account?
billboard.com/artist/303893/iron-maiden/chart
billboard.com/artist/288497/black-sabbath/chart?f=305
billboard.com/artist/305333/judas-priest/chart?f=305
billboard.com/artist/310639/metallica/chart?f=305
billboard.com/artist/310366/megadeth/chart?f=305
billboard.com/artist/312021/m-tley-cr-e/chart?f=305
billboard.com/artist/279575/slayer/chart

I hang around metal festivals every summer and the occasional winter concerts and meet nothing but the friendliest, chillest, unpretentious people I could ever possibly hope to meet. You're completely full of shit.

>Metal is usually the most hated upon genre (rightfully so imo)
I think it's not rightfully because average person doesn't even know any characteristics of metal (rhythm, tempo, guitar solos, atmosphere etc.) but only hate it for "le occult shit xPPDD" and "le growling I can't understand what he's singing ;(((". I also hate when some metal artists are edgy with their satanic stuff, but music-wise it can be some of the best music you'll ever hear.

You must really be a virgin with no female friends because I had numerous girls in my high school who were pretty hot, respectful and listened to metal and went to metal concerts actively. Music taste is music taste, not every chick has to listen to top 40 exclusively.

a lot of extreme metal (besides thrash) and shit like power / prog metal still really isn't seen as cool

People found it boring.

This was generally the opinion of normies to what they saw as pretentious overwrought prog music played on the BBC:
youtube.com/watch?v=Kx_C28G_Hs4

>gay nerd shit
Are you 12?

youtu.be/RPZ2MrXhEpk
Banks is truly something. Talk about being only in it for the money.

I'd say it's the lad mentality. The exact opposite of what people took John Lydon for. The people who hung out in pubs, wanted to have a nice chat and a drink with their mates, with background music reminding them of their youths, while on a short break from family troubles. Not something prog would be appropriate for by any stretch of imagination.

Prog is not hated??

you'd be surprised
even for a band as universally well known as metallica,only a handful of my normie-music friends have even heard the name

It's as simple as this in my eyes too. Prog is so situational that it can't be listened to outside of by yourself or with close friends sitting around who all dig the music. It requires too much attention. Even as someone who loves it, it can be irritating to be put on in the background while I'm trying to do other things. It's not a sociable genre and you can't dance to it so it will never be "cool"

this - it's only 'music connoisseurs' that respect prog
most people just see it as pretentious and boring

So I wasn't into metal at all but I listened to Kyuss and loved it. Sky Valley, Blues for the Red Sun, and The Circus Leaves Town were all really fucking good to me.
Are there any other metal albums I should try out? I wanna get into the genre now but dunno where to go after this.

I was trying to say the opposite of what you are saying.

I don't think prog is that hated

That's stoner metal / stoner rock, it's distinct from most extreme metal genres... Try traditional heavy metal for starters (ya know, stuff like Sabbath, Deep Purple, Judas Priest etc.)

deffo the classic sabbath albums, also check out the most recent goblin cock album and the first QOTSA record

Ah, alright. Thanks man. Been looking to expand my tastes.
Will do, thank you for the reccs!

maybe try Crack the Skye by Mastodon and Superunknown by Soundgarden

Early prog (spawned by The Beatles Sgt. Pepper) was more or less either a large drug trip or associated with a large drug trip.
The concepts behind the albums and the inaccessibility of the musical composition made it harder to listen to if you didnt already have the want to do so.
Hawkwind and ELP, as well as King Crimson are prime examples of this.
You also never saw a lot of women at prog gigs (with obvious exceptions like Floyd or Rush), which meant that it became less of a way to impress the opposite sex than other genres.
And then there was the Mahavishnu Orchestra.
They were an incredible example of bands trying to carve out weirder and weirder niches than everyone else.

The Beatles didn't invent prog you fuck

Because prog sucks and metal is cool, fucking duh

It's like you didn't even try