For being an abstract noise rock album this is strangely catchy and even melodic

for being an abstract noise rock album this is strangely catchy and even melodic.
anything similar?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3VQ46a0Mf_k
youtube.com/watch?v=zbORnA-2tOQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Early Sonic Youth: Bad Moon Rising, Evol, Sister
Rhys Chatham
Some Boredoms

has much more in common with minimalist composers than noise rock tbqh but the instrumentation is unique

>for being an abstract noise rock album
It isn't this.

This album was always lumped in with the wrong genre because of what scene it was associated with.

This pretty much.
You could just try Branca's other works for similar.
Sonic Youth on 'Kill Yr Idols'
Post-reunion Swans even given the fact that Branca is an influence on Gira, as well as some minimalist composers.
Just listen to 'Oxygen.'

>Sonic Youth on 'Kill Yr Idols'
Sonic Youth were influenced by Branca in all the wrong ways, Swans in all the right ways.

It's like a better put together take on Branca's Static stuff.

it's many things, imo
minimalism, no wave, noise rock. it even sounds like post-rock at times

>it even sounds like post-rock at times
It is post-rock, it's proto post-rock.

It's not no wave at all, no wave wasn't even a genre, it was a scene.

just listen to some totalism and some minimalism

Lesson No. 1 is even better

Anyway, it's not rock since its roots are in classical

A scene in which Branca was a major figure and took his act from Chatham, another member in the scene and then passed on his influence to Sonic Youth and Swans who were part of the end of the scene

Za! - Eki Eki Eki Kazaam!

Chatham didn't even really have anything thing to do with no wave though. He was involved in totalism

I've listened to No New York compilation yesterday and Cop and Filth by Swans. What really bothers me is often the guitar playing. It's on Derek Bailey's level of experimentation, but it also sounds amateurish. I realize that was the intention for many of those artists, but it sounds amateurish at its core. Which no wave artists were at least competent on their instruments and had memorable compositions? Is Glenn Branca what I'm looking for?

No Wave was a scene, which he was a part of, yes he was one of the few who started his career long before No Wave but he was still a part of the scene, he was influenced by the scene, members of the scene played in his ensembles and members of the scene continued his style of music

Anyone?

Sonic Youth's first release, the self titled EP, reminds me more of Branca than Kill Yr Idols.

Just listen to him you dumb cock and make up your mind for yourself, you'll know within a minute if he's what you're looking for

Start with Lesson No. 1, if you like it, go to The Ascension

This, it's like Branca adoration to the extreme (and also one of SY's best releases)

youtube.com/watch?v=3VQ46a0Mf_k
this song is great

Yes, listen to Branca's stuff with Theoretical Girls and The Static. James Chance and the Contortions were a pretty tight band too for the scene

my nigga
youtube.com/watch?v=zbORnA-2tOQ

Thank you. Dish It Out is one of the most gripping songs on the album. Their part of the compilation is probably the one I most enjoyed. And thank you too. Why were you so mad?

>no wave
no, it wasn't, retards only think that because branca was part of theoretical girls (which was a real no wave project).

I really wish his stuff past The Ascension also influenced pop/rock music as well except just Symphony No. 1. Maybe in a better universe, guys like Albini and industrial rock bands like NIN adapted his highly percussive take on guitars in Symphony No 2.