No Country for Old Men

So... exactly what makes this movie so great Sup Forums?

Just watched it and honestly it feels flat, monologue filled, and the ending is plain anti-climactic.

you're probably used to marvel redditor movies

>not liking that Ellis scene
kys my man

Kys

kys

Kys

You're most likely 14-17 years old and just saw this off of Netflix. Why is it our job to teach you how to not have shit taste?

kys

This

KYS

I honestly hate you OP but since the movie is so good I will give you some real advice:

watch it at least 2 more times and see if you still feel the same way. Many Coen brothers films benefit from multiple viewings. The initial disappointment you feel now because you didn't get a badass shootout at the end will be gone because you now know what's coming... of course, "No one ever sees that.. Beer... that's what's coming!"

kys

Geat 9/10 movie until the 2/10 ending making it a 7/10 :^)

kys

Kys for using those dumbass ratings.

>exactly what makes this movie so great Sup Forums?

storytelling that doesn't spoon feed you. lots of details you have to pay attention to and figure out on your own.

kys

Kys

K Y S
K
Y
S

KYS :D
can I get in the r/Sup Forums screenshot too guise?

fuck off nigger we dont do it for the ebbin screenshots, besides like 17 people already fucked it up with responses just like this one

The ending is suposed to be anti-climactic, because one of the larger themes of the movie was that in our world, not everyone gets what he deserves, and that was the reason why Tommy Lee Jone's character quit his job, because it was simply too much for him and he know waits to rejoin his father in afterlife.

Also, start to use your brain from time to time, it can help you a great deal, user.

b-but user this is an EPIC thread :), why dont you wanna screenshot?

I agree, I found the movie quite boring and I couldn't empathize with any of the characters.

Overrated as fuck desu famalam.

>meme
>famalam
>desu
>has to empathize with the characters to enjoy a movie

lmao. Kys.

I love the fact we're not even fucking discussing this. That movie was based af. Ty Teevee

>I couldn't empathize with any of the characters.

This is like the pleb battle cry.

the last words spoken before the credits are "And then I woke up"

It's not shit but it's not great.
Good acting and excellent cinematography don't save it from plot holes/weaknesses in the story. Definitely worth a watch at least once though

>couldn't empathize with any of the characters.
plebeo

>plot holes

Name one.

>plot holes

Jesus Christ, back to Ledd*t. OUT OUT OUT.

It has excellent pace and tension. Works both as a thriller and drama (really makes you think etc etc)
How can one find it flat is beyond me

every scene with javier barden is great

that's pretty much it

Why are you morons falling for weak bait attempts?

Not the person you responded to, but there was one issue with the plot. How did Chigur's old shall I say friend found the briefcase with money? Like how did he know where to look for it?

How did Chigurh no where the briefcase was? It had a locating device.

Once you start watching it and you can't stop until it's over. That's what makes a great movie.

Not him you moron, read my comment again. I said his old "friend".

>moron

Have some gold, friendo ;^)

>How did Chigur's old shall I say friend found the briefcase with money? Like how did he know where to look for it?

If you're talking about Harrelson, then presumably the Mexican town had only one border crossing, so he simply retraced Brolin's steps, and intuition told him he probably tossed it into the underbrush beneath the international bridge.

I hate the circlejerk around this overrated movie.

It's not overrated.

> not everyone gets what he deserves

While I wholeheartedly agree with what you said, I always felt that the car accident was, in a way, gods wrath against Chigurh for what was essentially him forcing fate.

While I do agree, he came in a pretty decent shape out of it, so it wasn't some punishment for him. And wasn't that car accident punishment for him going out of his way to do some things, rather than being God's wrath?

People make it out to be some kind of masterpiece and the second coming of Christ, while in reality it's just an alright film with great cinematography and a terrible ending. Ending that was made terrible just for the sake of dumb message that brings the whole movie down.

Nobody likes you.

It isn't a masterpiece per se, but it's a pretty damn good film. One of the best in recent years, and probably the best Coen brothers made. I've never seen people making it out to be, as you said, "the second coming of Christ", but I'd more than disagree with you that it's just an alright film and that it has a terrible ending. Ending is made to be unfulfilling, because that's life. We're not always going to get conclusions to everything we do.

:(

It was fucking shit
>boo hoo the world is cruel, I miss muh dad
>cigurh is le human embodiment of fate

I miss the two hours I wasted on this pseudo intellectual wankfest

>this naive to the criminal mind

Why was it pretentious?

I understand the ending is made to be that way, but I feel like it could have been handled much better. Just outright killing the protagonist the viewers have been rooting for the past hour off-screen so suddenly was, in my opinion, a bad way to handle it. You could argue that it's supposed to be so sudden and shocking, but to me it felt unnecessarily abrupt. I honestly did not understand what happened at first, it was so out-of-the-blue. And then came the realization, I thought to myself "wow, really?", and had to endure the last 20 minutes of the film utterly disappointed.

Do you even Coen?

No, actually I don't really like any of their movies except Big Lebowski, True Grit and maybe Hail Ceasar. I guess, they just aren't for me.

There's a part of me that partly agrees with you, but I thought the may they killed Moss off-screen went well with the film's theme, so I don't object it. I think it had a desireable effect on you and that Coen brothers succeed at what they were going for here.

>fate

No. He's wasn't the embodiment of fate. What the fuck? This film doesn't have anything to do with fate, it argues that there is not such thing as fate, just sheer dumb luck. Everything is up to chance and chance only. It wasn't fate for the man to win the coin toss, nor was it fate for Llewellyn's wife to lose the toss. It was sheer luck. Random chance.

Also, Cigurh is a force of nature. There is no stopping what's coming.

You should really understand the thing you're criticizing before opening your mouth.

>like Hail Caesar.

Opinions discarded

Lmao, successfully kicking a hornet nest. OP here, being the retard i am i just wanted to check out the crime scene.

Thanks for the suggestion though anons.

Planning to

Pretty much my current impression

The ending. The way it abruptly ends after the guy talks about his dream with his dad. Yeah it's poetic and you feel sad for him but not enough to forgive the coen brothers for thinking their story is so fleshed out and complex that it merits an artsy fade to black ending.

I thought he simply wants to be the "messenger" or "deliverer" of death kind of guy. Agent of death you might say.

But the whole point is for it to go against your expectations. Life doesn't work like a western, in life our actions have consequences so immense that there's nothing you could do to stop it. Llewelyn robbed drug dealers. What else coyld have possibly happened? He was running from the inevitable and his death would be nothing short of routine had there not been a camera following his actions. And as a viewer, you've been used to protagonists being heroes, but this guy is a lowly theif. And he got what he deserved.

how can one man be this pleb?

Do you have anything constructive to add in this discussion or will you use "pleb" as means of winning it? Not the person you're responding to, but at least try to refute it with something other than "PLEB". It's the reason this board sucks or at least one of them.

suck it fag

this movie was a poor imitation of a lynch film

no music leading emotions

babbys first oscarbait

Life doesn't work like a western, but this is a movie. Movies have established tropes and cliches, which exist for a reason. I have nothing against directors doing something new and unexpected, but in this case, it felt like it could have been handled better, while maintaining the point Coens were trying to make.