I pretty much only listen to rap, and I would like to branch out. I don't know where to begin with other music genres...

I pretty much only listen to rap, and I would like to branch out. I don't know where to begin with other music genres, though. I can't get into rock. I've tried, but I hate the way guitar sounds and I'm not a fan of singing. I pretty much only enjoy rapped and spoken vocals. Are there any other genres that incorporate spoken vocals, or have a nice beat without being too rockish? How do I ease myself into other styles of music?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=G_nJAGBxcoU
youtube.com/watch?v=zzZ1H5XTuTs
youtube.com/watch?v=AfulIwZZ_0c
vocaroo.com/i/s1UysjgMVvFA
youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI
youtube.com/watch?v=g3aA1p4lUU8&ab_channel=PanfisWater
youtube.com/watch?v=htVz86ZOCo0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Give up on music. You're a lost cause.

You don't.
Learn to appreciate instrumentation.

It starts with one thing
I don't know why
It doesn't even matter how hard you try
Keep that in mind
I designed this rhyme
To explain in due time
All I know
Time is a valuable thing
Watch it fly by as the pendulum swings
Watch it count down to the end of the day
The clock ticks life away
It's so unreal
Didn't look out below
Watch the time go right out the window
Trying to hold on, but you didn't even know
Wasted it all just to watch you go
I kept everything inside
And even though I tried, it all fell apart
What it meant to me
Will eventually be a memory of a time when
I tried so hard
And got so far
But in the end
It doesn't even matter
I had to fall
To lose it all
But in the end
It doesn't even matter

spoken word?

Listen to it until you like it.

Like spiderland.

This. Talking is not music. Singing is *barely* music. Instrumentation is music.

This has to be b8

I know you're probably too pleb, but check out the samples used in your rap songs, you can get started on some pretty nice jazz, soul, and gospel and it will hopefuly sound familiar enough to not turn you off immediately

then just get used to liking instruments instead of just rapping

I feel like rap is so much more real and relatable than rock. Like, most rock songs are generic love songs or whatever. Rap tells stories. Rap is about the struggles of inner city life. I can relate more to rappers than rockstars. Most of the time, they're poor black kids who made it big doing what they love, and made it out of the hood. Its inspiring and it's so real and authentic. One of the most acclaimed rock albums of all time is about a fucking wall.

Lmao don't listen to all these dudes saying youre pleb for listening to rap. Listen to whatever you want, and don't take anyone here seriously. On topic: try to listen to some old timey stuff like the doors self titled or maybe the talking heads- remain in light for the more groovy stuff and see how you like them.

Imagine being such a plebian that you were incapable of listening to anything besides one genre

You're being a huge pleb. Back to r/hiphopheads

Lmao ok either you're an actual moron or this is bait. "The wall" is not about a literal wall and even the most popular rock bands played plenty of music that had little to nothing to do with love.

One word. Punk.

It's not that OP's a pleb for listening to rap, it's because they listen to ONLY rap and seem to be unable to enjoy other kinds of music.

Listen to music that rap has its root into and then branch out from there, or music that has heavy hip hop influence.

Something very modern you might like:
youtube.com/watch?v=G_nJAGBxcoU

Retards

Get into house music my dude

Moodymann - Black Mahogani
DJ Metatron - U'll Be The King Of The Stars

Are you really not capable of appreciating music on grounds other than emotional connection?

the only true plebs are those who think their closed mindedness is acceptable

I'm kinda boggled at how OP feels this way but at least he's trying to branch out

I know this is bait but anybody who thinks rap covers a more diverse subject matter than rock has not listened to enough of either genre to say anything about that

take any rock album shilled here for example that isn't p4k indie:

LYSFLATH, Daydream Nation, Remain in Light, ITCOCK, SFTB, the list goes on...

To be honest, I've never checked out that album because the title and cover are so fucking boring. Nothing about an album called "The Wall" with a picture of a brick wall on the cover looks appealing to me. Sorry if its not /actually/ about a wall.

lots of rap is generic love songs too. what is popular is not always very conscious. musical taste is acquired, if you listen around, you might find some rock or something between the lines that you enjoy. this is coming from someone who enjoys all types of music in one form or another.

You should listen to some Synth Punk
youtube.com/watch?v=zzZ1H5XTuTs
youtube.com/watch?v=AfulIwZZ_0c

have you tried doom metal? its like, the only option.

Punk is literally that go listen to FEAR or Atari Teenage Riot

LYSF is so boring. I gave that one a listen a few months ago when I started browsing here, but it almost put me to sleep. I haven't heard of the rest, though so I'll check them out. I've seen the Remain In Light album cover a million times, but never listened to it, so I guess I'll check that one out first.

since you're into rap, can you tell me what the song in the background is?

vocaroo.com/i/s1UysjgMVvFA

>metal
Nah

I suppose if you are a fan of rap and rap alone you would find LYSF to be the most boring thing on the planet, I understand

I was only making a point about lyrical themes though, not the music

LYSF didn't have any lyrics though?

reggay

it has a few spoken word parts that play towards the band's political disposition, and it also lays out a setting to picture in your mind

anyways I didn't like it at first either, but it's an all-time favorite now. definitely recommend coming back to it again once you branch out

Ur retarded lmao

got just the song for you
youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI

Why is this tongue face that females do so hot?

This got me from Hip-Hop, RnB and Rap to Rock. It also showed me that you can find brilliance in all of music, if you are willing to look past the stereotypes.
>only junkies listen to rock
>classical music is for old people
>jazz is only for pretentious people
That's why I try to be open about every genre.

>I pretty much only listen to rap
>retard

Try this it's fairly easy listening and has some similarities with rap.
Elvis Depressedly - Mickey's Dead
youtube.com/watch?v=g3aA1p4lUU8&ab_channel=PanfisWater

Troll.

do you like this?
youtube.com/watch?v=htVz86ZOCo0

You're like one of those retards who watches a movie without exposition and says he doesn't get it.

hip hop is fine

but people who can only listen hip hop and no other genres are braindead retards

Try Jazz Soul or Funk those genres are the godfathers of Hip Hop, and maybe Reggae as well.

This bait smells. And I hate you OP.

OP i feel you even though my story is a little bit different

Used to be a "metalhead" until 2 years ago - once i started growing up rap became more and more interesting to me then metal.

If you can't get into it rock/metal cause of the vocals try something instrumental

>Polyphia (i would recommend "champagne" if you are not that much into heavy music)
>Intervals
>Enemy AC130 above (alienate instrumental - but its super heavy you might not like it)

If you find yourself still disliking that kind of music because of guitar sound don't bother too much.
I for example just can't get into techno (or tekk or whatever its called)
I like dnb/goa but techno nah

Maybe you should try some minimal (genre) - got nice chill beats with slow buildups and usually no vocals

>I hate the way guitar sounds
Just for addition:
In modern Metal (especially progressive / djent) youre gonna have guitars that you might not even recognize as guitars anymore if you got no idea of the instrument.
Just listen to some polyphia songs maybe you get into it - or make your own beats featuring some polyphia samples or smth

How can a person listen to only one genre? You must be really bored.

Polyphia? Are you fucking serious?

Most house is even more generic and boring than most rap music tho

And those genres are way better musically

Listen to Rage against the machine then branch out to early Red Hot Chili Peppers from that you can branch out to alt rock,funk rock and punk from punk and then you can branch out to post punk and synth punk and from that you can branch out to electronic and you're set

Have you tried Benjamin Clementine?

Because you can't understand that rock is less straight forward with lyrics than rap is,once you understand what metaphors are you can listen to music like a regular person and besides you can't listen to rock the same way you listen to rap I assumed everyone knows this but I guess not

>implying good rap doesn't use metaphor
I agree that you can't listen to rock like you listen to rap though, I don't know what sort of malfunction OP has

look at this poor guy