I want to look at the solar eclipse a week from now. i do not have the recommended eye protection...

I want to look at the solar eclipse a week from now. i do not have the recommended eye protection. am I really gonna ago blind or are (((they))) just trying to sell me more shit?

All glasses are sold out also
I'm just gonna take a video without looking and watch that

Stare at the sun for a few seconds.
Are you blind?
There's your answer.

Meh should be minimal. I wouldnt worry about it.

that's my main thought over all this... i'm one of those people who sneeze when they look at the sun, so i'm inclined to think it's bullshit

don't look directly at it
get a box
punch a pinhole in one side
cut a asmall hole you can see through in one of the sides adjacent to the side with the pinhole
point the pinhole at the sun
look in the larger hole
you will get just as good of a view as most of the eclipse viewing shit being shilled right now, if not better
the only thing that would make the view better would be if you had an astronomical telescope to view it with, then you would need filters to keep from burning your eyes out

>look in the larger hole
at the side opposite the pin hole

It's like weighlifting. When you lift muscle fibers are damaged and after your body repairs them they are bigger and stronger. Staring at the sun has the same effect on your retina. Your eyesight will become stronger

Tilt your head, put a penny on your forehead. The copper and other element mixture will absorb the solar radiation before it gets too you're eyes.

find two floppy disc's. take the media out, cut on half and lay on top of each other. use 2 layers for each eye. Works great and cheap.

damn, trolls. took you long enough to show up.

If you are in the path of totality then no eye protection is needed, if not then yes you need protection to look at it or you can seriously damage your eyes. I'm an optometrist, trust me.

No, OP, they're not "trying to sell you more shit." I'm not sure if you noticed but the sun is more or less a ball of UV rays, and will royally fuck up your retinas as such. Maybe you should've bought the literal TWO DOLLAR pair of glasses while you should've, you fucking retard.

It can greatly damage you phone's camera lens, you dip, thats why most the glasses advertise that it works well with phones. Thats a LOT of UV youre exposing it to.

is this one of those looking at a shadow bullshut contraptions?

Looking at the Sun itself is awesome, but there is so much else to look for without glasses.

Watch for the shadow approaching along the ground from the west.
Look on the ground at the images of the crescent Sun passing through bushes and trees.
Look at the sky in general and notice where the sky appears to get darker.
Listen.
During totality, it's safe to look at the corona.
Look for planets and stars. Mercury will be just below the Sun, Mars above, and Venus higher up. The brightest star in the sky (Sirius) will be up with six more stars to the south - does it get dark enough to see them?
Watch for pinpoints of light appearing around the moon: gaps in the mountains letting light pass. Then stop looking at it. - it's getting harmful.
The glasses and viewers are there to enable looking at the partially eclipsed Sun. Ho-hum.

yes it is
and read the last 2 lines
enjoy the (you) you dumb piece of shit incapable of thinking things through

Shit use the two pieces of cardboard method, Make a simpler version of the solar eclipse viewer with two thin but stiff pieces of white cardboard. Punch a small, clean pinhole in one piece of cardboard and let the sunlight fall through that hole onto the second piece of cardboard, which serves as a screen, held below it. An inverted image of the sun is formed. To make the image larger, move the screen farther from the pinhole. To make the image brighter, move the screen closer to the pinhole. Do not make the pinhole wide or you will only have a shaft of sunlight rather than an image of the crescent sun. Remember, this instrument is used with your back to the sun. The sunlight passes over your shoulder, through the pinhole, and forms an image on the cardboard screen beneath it. Do not look through the pinhole at the sun.

is there any way to make a home-made filter to look that the eclipse?

yes
read the thread

i meant DIRECTLY look, not stare at a fucking shadow you tardbaby

do you have a telescope?

No faggot - try tomorrow. dont use one layer - must be two

Try to help a poor fag out. "That seems dumb"
I dont care. Do or do not. You will still be a poorfag.

NOPE

Sort of. Although you can cut back the visible light using things like emergency solar blankets and mylar gift wrap, these sheets do little to nothing for much of the really harmful UV and/or IR wavelengths. You can buy solar filter mylar sheets and make your own frames to hold them, but it's much easier and very cheap to buy proper glasses. Kinda late now, but see earlier post for other stuff to watch.
One more thing to think of during totality. When you're looking at where the Sun is and can see Mercury and Venus and Mars, think on the fact that Mercury is on this side of the Sun heading up to between us and the Sun. We're catching up to Mars on the inside track, but it's still on the farside of the Sun - it'll move to the right and behind us over the coming months. Venus is on the inside track from us, moving away. It's about as far from the Sun as it gets from our vantage point. You can easily see Venus rise in the east before the Sun for a couple more months

see
>you will get just as good of a view as most of the eclipse viewing shit being shilled right now, if not better
>the only thing that would make the view better would be if you had an astronomical telescope to view it with, then you would need filters to keep from burning your eyes out

>'staring at the sun is bad for you' is a jewish conspiracy

Fucking retard even Sup Forums isn't this dipshit. Stare at the sun all you want and tell us what happens.

staring and looking aren't the same things. this is my point. many an auto mechanic knows the taste of anti-freeze because it has casually touched his tongue in the course of his work. this is not the same as chugging a bottle of anti-freeze, which is deadly.
my question isn't "is gaping at the eclipse like a retard harmful", but rather, if I glance at it for a second, is it harmful"

You can refine the design considerably.
Cut a small hole out on the sunward face.
Punch a very small hole into a piece of very flat, smooth foil and cover the box hole with the foil. The thin foil will provide a much sharper edge.
Glue/tape a sheet of white paper to the projection wall for better reflectivity.

Al alternative is to use a small mirror to reflect the Sun onto a distant flat surface. This is a Heliostat, and not a bullshit device. But then you need to be constantly adjusting the angle of the mirror. That's the bullshit part.

public libraries are giving away the sun glasses for free

do you ever stare at the sun? do you have ANY urge to stare at it now? of course not. your brain and body have been wired with 4 billion years of evolution to not point light gathering organs directly at the sun. those who do go blind and dont reproduce, so the urge can never be passed on genetically. and, to answer the obvious, of COURSE the corona is sending UV and other rays to your eyes. maybe less, but do you REALLY want to experiment with this? just look at the leaves around you, notice the half moon shapes that filter through them. and just take in the whole scene.

This. Everyone used to just look directly at it or with useless glasses, but what pecent of those people are blind now?