I'm about the watch the 2011 The Thing...

I'm about the watch the 2011 The Thing. While I don't expect it to be as good as the 1982 Thing it would be nice if it was entertaining on its own merits.

Frozen MEW pussy

Keep me informed

Certainly is if you ask me

It's absolutely shit. Forgettable characters, and the Thing acts retarded the whole movie.

It will make you just want to watch the original.

I love how all the Norwegians spoke english except for the cook.

Fucking awful follow up movie pice of shit

I actually thought it was a fun watch. I can't imagine someone liking the carpenter thing from the 80's and hating this one. It follows the same premise

Okay so, these Norwegian team for some reason needs an American ice paleontologist lady to dig something out of the ice because apparently Norway doesn't have anyone like that.

Then they find the ship and dig a block of alien out of the ice and the lady is like "Shouldn't we not be stupid about this" and a guy is like "I didn't drag you across the planet to think" even though that's exactly why she's there.

Crap, meant to quote

Haha! I watched it ages ago when it aired on Sky latenight. I consider it mild entertainment.

its fine

try-hard die hards

I can't decide if the set looking so much like the last set is good or bad.

>the Thing acts retarded the whole movie.

But you aren't kidding, it just blew up a helicopter for no reason.

It can't copy inorganic material? Since when?

It's passable horror until you find out about the fully practical creature effects that were crudely covered with CGI. Then it becomes an offensive waste of time.

Also remakes of John Carpenter movies are guaranteed shit, it's a rule of thumb. In before idiots trying to claim it's not a remake because they set it in the Norwegian camp even though it's basically the same scenes and structure beat for beat.

The only things that make it less good than it could have been:

1) Women, though MEW is in it
2) Director, not a daring choice and his sense of beauty at the appalling and taste in humor is not refined
3) Studio intervention, which forced the team to edit over perfectly amazing practical effects with CGI and ruined the ambiguity of the ending

Other than that it's not too bad all things considered

I give them credit for not remaking it, as they said the original was already perfect and they could never top that, so instead they made a prequel detailing the norwegians, i respect that, it was an entertaining movie, tho the CGI coulda been better.

Watch it, it was a fun flick.

Also, they had the balls to make it R-rated, in a time of PG-13 remakes of 80's classics, it was a pretty bold move of them.

>ruined the ambiguity of the ending
?

Since always. The Thing is organic, why would it mimic metal or plastic? It doesn't even copy clothing, or any organic material that's been dead for too long.

It really wasn't a bad movie but it didn't really have to be made. It's definitely not as good as the original and has some plot holes but its a solid 7.5/10

It's kind of like the new Evil Dead movie, its different so people don't like it but its still better than most of the bullshit that it came out next to

The director is clearly a fan of the original, but he has no clue why the movie worked

originally there was no squealing sound effects over the burning in the final death, leaving you wondering if MEW acted correctly

Dude, you really think the Thing can copy inorganic material? There was an entire 40 minute part of the first film that addressed that.

It is by definition not a remake. Just because you want to be a little shit about it doesn't change that fact.

Well, if that is true, then Childs wasn't the Thing, he was wearing his earring at the end.

At the end: Why would The Thing kill its other form? Was the imitation so good that it didn't realize it wasn't human?

Oh wow that that is obviously better I'm mad. Also is it implied that Mew is dead? Or does she just drive off to a different station at the end?

I mean she definitely wasn't with the dog, did I forget the ending?

I don't think John Carpenter or any of the actors were thinking about that

Of course it's a remake. The entire point of the Norwegian camp was to foreshadow what would happen at the US outpost.

The environment is the same, but most everything else is different. the Thing acts completely retarded and I don't care for any of the characters.

She went to get help from a Russian outpost nearby.

John Carpenter didn't give a fuck about it, everytime a fan asked him about the ending he avoided or gave a shitty explanation like "Childs wasn't breathing, no air in his mouth xD", he's butthurt to this day due to the movie's failure at the time. His intention was to leave the viewers to decide.

If you really want to get into it the earring implies that either
A: Kurt Russel is the thing, or
B: they're both the thing and it's smarter than we thought
if B then
1: The thing subunits don't communicate with each other and are both trying to convince the other that they're human
2: The thing subunits do communicate and are deciding to live as human using the knowledge it stole from Russel/Childs

But really it's probably an oversight, another theory is that Russel took a shot of kerosine to see if Childsthing would do it too and pretend he was cool with it to expose him as a smart fake

I was under the impression that The Thing allows it's victims to go on thinking they're still human until it needs to take over.

If they both knew they were things they're not necessarily "deciding to live as human using the knowledge it stole," it's possible that they're just deciding to freeze and wait for a rescue party and we're misinterpreting their dialogue

This "Childs drinks Gasoline" is stupid as fuck.
Same goes for "Childs wasn't breathing"

Yep. I guess that would be B1a

>How will we make it?
>Maybe we shouldn't
>Why don't we just wait and see what happens

I think its wrong too but Childs chokes on it and Russel laughs and him, so it at least has some credence

That could totally be the externalization of the Thing's internal dialogue

Oh, it's the fillings that are inorganic. I'm an idiot, of course teeth are organic.

But this is stupid, checking by looking straight into their mouths.

I liked it, but I'd probably watch anything that has Mary-Elizabeth Winstead in it, so I'm biased.
Its not as good as the original, but it does seem like a decent movie.

The American cast did retarded shit too, like not chop up the Thing corpses after burning them and re-burning them (effectively ensuring that no core Thing cells remained alive inside) and that one time the doc tried to defribulate a Thing and got perma-h& for it

This movie seems to be forgetting anyone who is even touched is infected. Everyone should be a Thing by now.

Lars was the best part of the film
that tie in made it worth it and I feel kinda sad at the beginning of the original when I re-watch it.