I'm about to begin my first semester of college. My intended major is computer science. Any tips?

I'm about to begin my first semester of college. My intended major is computer science. Any tips?

Show up to class, you can't skip unless you are sick. Computer engineering major here, I've seen very smart people drop out with massive debt because they got too comfortable with skipping a class here or there. Next thing you know they are behind on a few assignments, start to get behind in class, which makes them not want to go to class even more to run from their problems, or they will just think that they can catch up later. DO NOT SKIP CLASS. It is a slippery slope that can ruin your life. I've seen it happen over and over again.

Also ask for help if you need it. Go to office hours, meet tutors, work with friends. Never ever ever fall behind.

Drop out and start a business before your first day so you never fall for the college scam

if you're not a female you should become one for financial aid and easy job offers from quota-filling recruiters

On a full ride, my dudes.

Is there anything I can do to prepare myself for harder upperclassmen classes in the coming summers?

Find a smart looking bunch of Asian dudes and steal their ideas, drop out and become billionaire

Not OP here but in same situation, thanks for the advice

I'd do this but my parents are making me go. I'm too insecure/scared to tell them I'd rather start my career

Checked

from this advice, do it. But let me elaborate, do it at the same time you're in college. If it goes very well, drop off before graduation and become the "it's too stupid for me, I dropped from college" fag. If it doesn't work. you still have your degree to become a 100k/yr wage fag out of school.

Fucking shower, some CSE kids forget they exist after their mom stops telling them to take them I swear. Have fun, but study. College is great, join a ton of clubs for shit you are interested in. Except anime club, even if you love anime. They are a special kind of degenerate.

community college then transfer

Fuck as many bitches as possible. You'll not get better chances later in life. Trust me!

also this

OP here.

Planned on joining debate, boxing, and astronomy. Space is cool and shit.

I'm already attending a top 50 college for undergrad. They offer a 4-2 program with Columbia, which I hope to take advantage of after graduation.

Engaged, friendo. Otherwise, I'd gladly throw my dick into the ring.

what are with this morons and their free instwatches?

instally gentoo :^)

>Engaged, friendo. Otherwise, I'd gladly throw my dick into the ring.
Advice still applies.

I had my fill in high school. You'd be surprised how easy theater sluts are to get into.

Organize your Email account with folders etc.

btw i took astronomy in college thinking i was gonna learn about constellations. it was mostly math and physics and we used computer programs to determine the speed of stars and what direction they were orbiting, how big they were, what they were made of, how far away they were, what type of star, how old it was etc etc etc. and it all involved a shit ton of math using programs that astronomers use i guess... if that sounds cool then go for it

yeah. stay in class. and don't leave stuff for sunday... you will always feel "bad" on sundays :)

Drink beer, dont be a fag
Talk to people they like talking

When you're on a scholarship, don't change your major. You will lose some (or most) funding once you go past the allotted 4 years.

Didn't plan on it. The college I'm going to is heavy in the theater and film. I actually want a job after graduation, so these fields don't interest me. Basically, I would never change majors because there isn't a whole lot to change to that isn't pre-professional or borderline liberal arts.

Hey, so as far as working to prepair yourself I would just read up on and do exercises on topics in classes you will take when the summer is over. For example if you have a data structures class coming up after summer you can read up on Binary trees and maps and hashes etc. You don't really need to go too hard during the summer but previewing material and staying sharp on programming skills will never hurt.

Are there any entry-level summer jobs that hone programming skills?

Internships are pretty common, you can try to look for one after your first year but you might not get one until your 2nd or 3rd. See if your school has any R&D positions over the summer, TA positions etc. Internships could be easy or hard to get, depending on location. This is one of those things I would for sure talk to professors with, they will know local companies better and will have a good idea of what someone going to your school is capable of and when.

Don't join the debate club, it'll suck up all your time and you won't have any time to actually enjoy being in college. Also who cares if you're engaged. Have fun anyway, unless you're like 23 or something. But if you're 18 then there's no reason not to get your Willy wet