How to stop biting skin around my fingernails?

how to stop biting skin around my fingernails?
It is the most disgusting behaviour of which I cannot get rid.

Other urls found in this thread:

livestrong.com/article/178653-how-to-stop-biting-your-cuticles/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Got the same problem, except it's on my foreskin...

Put them in your ass first

great answers, thanks buds

Seriously tho. Toothpicks! Whenever the "urge" comes on, grab a toothpick instead.

my urge is not in my mouth, but in my fingers, I am constantly touching my finger tips and feeling the uneven skin, and constantly trying to fix. If not with mouth, with other hand.

Dermatophagia - it's OCD type behaviour. I have it also.

Do you feel a strong compulsion to bite? Do you ingest the skin or spit it out? Do you suffer from anxiety?

check also no I always spit, never ingest, and I have minor social anxiety, nothing serious.

Hmm, for me it was more about the biting part, so I guess that's why tpicks worked pretty well for me. Not sure what, but something to keep your hands preoccupied would be my suggestion. If it's constant however... Rough situation.

You sound very similar to me - I have anxiety although not social.

I've been able to resist the urge with great difficulty and had my fingers heal. At this point, it was easier to resist the compulsion because there was nothing to 'fix' - no little lumps or bumps, or bits sticking up.

I used chewing gum so I had something in my mouth already although the urge to touch and pick was still very strong.

Sadly mine are in a bad condition again but I am trying to stop. It is very difficult, but it can be done.

I wish you success OP, you can do it.

Im fucking doing it now. I have the same issue please help. (For real not a joke actully help me)

I ingest the skin, also nails. Is that worse aside from obvious hygiene problems?

pretty dire mate, for example if I am in bed, and naturally there is nothing to do right? Just trying to fall asleep, my hands are constantly checking and ripping stuff, it is really really annoying. I need to wear some gloves like a madman

You just have to stop. It's hard, but you can do it.

Be patient with yourself and try to recognise when you are doing it and stop.

It will feel horrible at first.

It's less common to ingest - but it's not a problem unless you're very dirty

I saw a video in which it was said to use a file to get rid of unevenness, I always use a nail clipper, and it leaves unnatural bumps etc, maybe I should buy a file to try this out.

I have the same problem. But think about this ,do you want some type of parasites in your stomach since fingers are pretty dirty...

No, you need to let it heal naturally that won't work, and it will cause more damage.

I always apply alcohol and always wash, so I never had issue with hygiene, but true

I can't help but enjoy the feeling of biting off a large chunk of callus around the finger nails and then grind it with my teeth.
Sometimes I swallow it, sometimes I just cover the walls with that shit. Can anyone relate to that?

no no, not the wounds, but the original small bumps and stuff, wouldn't a file help with that?

Same here. Tried to reprogram myself from "fixing" my fingers and fingernails and instead started to bite insides of my mouth. I'm easily hooked to cigarettes and snus, feel anxious time to time and need stress relief constantly, either through gym, booze or fapping.

25 and stressful job here.

No, I've tried it before and it still leaves what you would consider 'problems' to 'fix' and it's still destructive behaviour that feeds the compulsion.

You have to break the compulsive behaviour.

I never do that much, but I do have this thing, for example if I snip some skin off any part of my body, I put it in my mouth. No idea why I do it, I just do it. Never ingest though, just to test in mouth i guess, some primitive instinct it feels like.

Yeah, i always swallow it. :(

Biting inside the mouth is another symptom of Dermatophagia

get some of those dog biting toys, or some really tough beef jerky

livestrong.com/article/178653-how-to-stop-biting-your-cuticles/

Same with me. If you find a soulution...Tell me.

Could it not be just anxiety though?

I like to bite my foreskin.

... You just have to stop. It's hard, but that is it.

You could seek therapy for OCD

I really don't feel like I fit in the spectrum nor do I suffer any other ICD/OCD type symptoms.

It's definitely part of it, but it is OCD. Not needing tidy cd rack type bullshit OCD, real OCD. The compulsion is strong and when you stop you'll feel it really hard.

I usually eat my fingernails and the skin around them. Occasionally attack my toes and heels too. Regularly make them bleed. After my friend called me out on it, I began torturing my fingertips with a nailcutter, and eat the skin it snips off. I still don't know why I have the urge to do so. Gets particularly bad before exams, parents, and other such shit.

Try to find what's behind your anxiety, otherwise you'll just create another compulsion.
watch out nigga, ur gonna eat urself

>It is the most disgusting behaviour
I can think of worse

You don't have to, it is compulsive behaviour. By spectrum what do you mean?

Autism and aspergers. Not the ebin internet type.

I do this too. Try having a rubber band around your wrist that you flick whenever you get the urge to bite your cuticles.
If negative reinforcement doesn't help you can try writing down whenever you get the urge and what you were doing at the time.

For the record, my fingernails.

Nothing to do with autism, it's linked to anxiety.

I'm not remotely autistic and I've been doing it for years - I only recently stopped and it felt amazing to not have that compulsion.

That's very mild, what is the inside of your mouth like?

worst thing is that discoloration of the finger tips, I hate it, can't it be fixed somehow? I tried to have a suntan on those tips, but does not work lol

Well, is there any way to reprogram the habit and channel the urge to somewhere else? It's really biting me. I just can't "stop" doing it.

Fucking lost.

I get a blister or two once or twice a month, I don't bite my mouth that often, but sometimes I suck or chew in my sleep.

Not that I've discovered, it fucking sucked stopping but it's the only thing that worked for me.

Once you have healing - well, for me anyway - it gets easier.

You can stop, but it will feel maddening at first. If it's just way too hard you'll need to speak to a doctor I guess. Like I say it's OCD and they might be able to help you.

yeah I can confirm that when you have healed fingers it is much better, but the problem with that is;

Whenever you cut your fingernails, the remaining skin feels "imperfect" again, or whenever you get your skin ripped, again "imperfect", or after shower with bloated skin then you get kicked back to the old biting, ripping loop

Doctor here, you may have mild autism/assburgers

get yourself a fidget spinner

Well, I'm not going to get nor do I want to take meds for fucking fingerbiting.

Right hand with thumb.

It's a constant battle, but thats OCD I guess.

I was thinking of getting some fidgety toy, maybe it would be helpful

... yeah, no. That's bait.

Honestly that is super mild, you can stop yourself, it's just hard as fuck. Step up my dude, you can do it.

Totally serious bro. I've been prescribing fidget spinners in my practice.

Where is the autism link? It's OCD. Surely CBT is a better option?

I know, that's why I asked protips.

I guess I just need another habit but I'm not going to get balisong, fidget spinner or any other stupid fab. Funny thing is that my fingers and nails were pretty fine when I was smoking.

Forget about it. It isn't a big deal. Cigarette smoking is worse. BO from showering once a week/month is worse. Drunk and stupid in public is worse. Could go on and on. Biting fingernails/cuticles(skin) just isn't that big a deal except in your own mind. Get over it.

Got the same thing.. I always feel like if all my fingers would be fine, i would stop because theres nothing to "fix".

You don't do it, because it fucking hurts when you bite, it bleeds and it's a huge fucking mess that you can see everytime you handle anything. Do you think a girl wants these chewed up, messed up fingers anywhere near there pussies?

The only what that they get fine is by not biting

Just a sidenote, not defending the biting but girls definitely want trimmed nails near their pusseeh. Unless she is into pain.

We're talking about skin biting mostly, just biting your nails trim isn't that bad really. Doing it properly would be better though