Can anyone explain the appeal of shitposting to me? I've been here on Sup Forums since the beginning...

Can anyone explain the appeal of shitposting to me? I've been here on Sup Forums since the beginning, and I was trolling Usenet long before most of you were born. A good troll takes pride in his work, and is always mindful of his responsibility to be entertaining in recompense for causing havoc.

Once upon a time, Sup Forums was where master trolls came to hone their skills and troll each other. Now trolling has become a lost art. People shitpost nonsense or the word "nigger" or "faggot" or a fucking banana and call their work done. It took no effort, no skill, no time, and I can't see how anyone could possibly be proud of it. I remember when people would work a Usenet channel for months, playing the long game, insinuating themselves into the community to set up all the balls in the right position to turn the whole place upside down with the perfectly-aimed troll at just the right time.

Where has the pride in workmanship gone? Can anyone explain to me what the payoff is for shitposters?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/pHvgUJr75PM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Shitposting is the equivalent of junk food. Instead of spending hours preparing a high quality meal, they'd rather have a microwave meal in minutes. It's the low hanging fruit of trolling, easy to do, not very fulfilling, but can be done in very high quantity.

Tell me more, grandpa.

They've forgotten that "trolling is a fine art."

They are proud that they make people like you mad because they are about 10y from realizing the knowledge you're trying to drop on them. They have only copy pasta now to look over, never understanding at one point threads like that were daily.

Been here since the start OP and the standard of internet fuckery has gone down hill.

I remember joining a forum back in 1999 and spending the next 6 months befriending the admin, getting admin access and posting the world's lowest res hentai gifs on every thread at once.

This in turn pushed the board over it's bandwidth allowance and caused so much slowdown it took an hour to even load the admin panel to fix it.. which had also been changed to japanese

Why? because I had freetime.

shitposting takes zero time, everyone has smartphones, games, netflix.. so time is more valuable now because we have so much to take it up.

The3 old days are gone which is kinda for the best because we never feared going to jail for hacking a furry site and changing every word to niggers.. now it's too risky and not worth the effort to impress other anons

Basically, the majority of trolls realized the easiest way to "win" was to care less. Instead of learning tactful and scathing trolling techniques they put the bare minimum effort in in order to accuse any of their responders as "falling for the bait"
Shits fucking stupid. Trolling is a art

that plus people got older, got jobs, wives etc and the average age of the site has dropped.

back when I first started on Sup Forums i was 17 and the average age was 25, now it's 17. This goes for most of the internet really. Kids hung out on AOL, Yahoo etc, everywhere else was filled with jaded 20 somethings

I was on Usenet when AOL arrived, and we thought it was the fucking Apocalypse. Until that time, Usenet was mostly scientists and university students. Then suddenly MEEE TOOOO was everywhere and the average IQ was cut in half. We thought it couldn't possibly get any worse... and then WebTV arrived.

Christ, I can't believe we were so naive. The mouth-breathing subnormals on WebTV are like towering fucking colossi of genius compared to the teenyboppers infesting Sup Forums these days.

Get on with the time grandpa. I was born when Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 whas released.

I take no shit from nobody. I can kill the likes of you whit over 300 different ways and that just with my bare hands. You coud have prevented the shit storm that was comming to you, but you didn't, and now you're going to pay the price, the price that's gonna whippe you from the face of the Earth. You fucking dead, kiddo.

Agreed. I think it just comes with more traffic.. things fall to the lowest common denominator

You can still troll like the old days though, and there are plenty of spring chickens to bait into making you their arch nemesis. You cant run scripts and fuck with sites as much any more but you can still play some fun fucking mind games with people

I miss the days when you could always rely on Derek Smart to flip out and smash up a Coke machine when you hit a trolling grand slam.

I remember, I just missed the golden days of Usenet but the great surge of idiots was happening about the time I got online. (ukfag here so we didn't have AOL)

The internet kinda balanced out though, sure there were idiots but Sup Forums was filled with smart guys pretending to be stupid. Really the big issues started with smartphones and facebook. t used to take at least a little skill to use the internet to it's fullest but now you download facebook and the rest of the net is linked through it but for most people facebook IS the internet now.

Sad times but there it is. We'll always have the memories if nothing else but it doesn't make the shift in tone and stupid shit we're hit with every day any less easy to view.

Yup, the sheer volume of people dilutes the good content. Hell everyone my age remembers the legend of bloodninja and that shit is still possible but especially in the UK crossing the line is too easy and the next thing you know you're in court for teaching your dog a nazi salute

I'm part of a community on IRC which has been around for 20 years. A lot of the people who were teens when we first founded it are now successful professionals with families, but we all still hang out on DALnet together. We sort of huddle together in ab obsolete medium, glaring hatefully at the Facebook hordes of teenyboppers kept at bay by the text format and obscurity of the medium.

I hate overbearing political correctness..
I was watching Blazing Saddles the other day and got sad when i realized one of my favorite movies would be torn apart if it were released today because of all the off collar race-based humor

That sounds cozy as fuck

Grow up

I personally try to shitpost something that rolls off the tongue or has a hint of humor. I try to get a kek or two to brighten people's days.....or to see how people react to my gore filled psychotic rants

Most of us are anarchists or some flavour of anti-authoritarian, and we started out by creating non-hierarchical versions of popular channels where there was no one "in charge," so people had an alternative to the circle-jerk authoritarian dick-waving in those channels. We'd just take the original channel name and append "sucks" to the end of it so that it would show up right after it in the alphabetical channel listing. These days we mostly hang out in #ChristianDebateSucks on DALnet if you ever want to join us.

IRC is the last holdout really. I loved it but i've been out of the loop so long I worry about going back.

I'm far too old to be on Sup Forums but it's home and i'm currently a NEET due to personal life gayness so it's like.. I dunno, a retarded puppy I'll never abandon

PC shit is ruining not just the internet but IRL too in my opinion and i'm not one of those pepe twats, when London underground is forced to stop saying ladies and gentlemen you have to take a long hard look at the world we live in

>Can anyone explain shitposting?
youre doing it

"Why would I bother making a whole pizza that tastes disgusting to feed to someone when I can draw toppings on a piece of old cardboard and feed them that? They'll still eat it cause they're retarded."

I might drop in sometime, I like pissing off other channels, main reason I came here was because of how bad mods and admins were on forums back in the day. people sucking them off etc was and is awful

The best trolls feel affection for their targets. We were never mean, even when we were making fun of them. It was more a sort of art piece where they were unaware they were part of it, and we'd react to their movements, creating an elegant dance around them. And by the way, do you sell Battletoads?

See like this stuff right here. No effort just mindless smashing of genitals on his keyboard as he shits himself and laughs, head held high with his slack jawed look of utter stupidity plastered across his dumb, inbred face

Jesus christ, yeah you're right. Idpol is a cancer, even to the people it intends to benefit. Pretty sure trans people have been put in a harsh fucking spotlight lately where as before it worked better for them to be covert

This, we had nothing but love for chris chan for example.

also I got a friend banned from gamestop for life by getting him to ask the manager for battletoads..after i'd posted their number here and they'd been hit with 100s of calls for 2 weeks.

friend had no idea about Sup Forums lulz

Like toothpaste in Oreos kind of funny? Or like mixing your jizz in with the milk kind of funny?

I ran with ARA in the 80s and put a lot of boneheads in the hospital. In those days we didn't march around with signs, we did patrols and applied steeltoes to the teeth of any boots-and-bracers we found. I'm embarassed by what passes for antifa in a lot of places these days.

Jizz.. with Sup Forums it was always jizz but we thought of the victim while firing it out

colleges are teaching kids to be liberal pussy retards who get triggered over a mere fucking word and sperg out with violence, hence the existence of antifa

what do you expect?

you'd get run over by a dodge charger anyway fgt, lel

Evolution refining the process over the eons.

Obsoletion is the worst of fates.

sure guy stfu sand coon

That seems like a very odd way to show affection. Do you give gifts to people you hate? I imagine you living with your wife, jizzing in the milk, putting poo in her shoes, scrubbing your balls with her toothbrush, pissing in the back part of the toilet, and mixing dirt in with her chocolate ice cream.

But I assume you're not married

yes burn

Chill the fuck out, retard.

Girlfriend but yeah, once shaved off my pubes and mixed it in to her face cream.

she's stuck around for 11 years so she likes it

>current year
>implying effort
>mfw

I agree. Trolling is a art.

you right

See, this is the kind of shitposting I'm talking about. You can tell that the people posting this are subnormals, probably in the 80-90 IQ range, just latching onto whatever the ideology-of-the-day happens to be in an effort to impress the alpha males. They're just reposting someone else's stupidity. How can they derive any sense of pride from that?

Because people here aren't trolls anymore. They're ids. Angry, mean-spirited little shits who have nothing going for them and read that this is the place to be assholes to each other. That and the fact that we have an influx of inbred racists thanks to Sup Forums.

Things didn't used to be this way. We weren't unironically racist, we poked fun, but we'd destroy actual racists. Remember Hal Turner? We weren't spiteful and mean-spirited, we were playful. We were all just having a big laugh together. Now everything's a big, antagonistic dick-waving contest, little faggots trying to out-asshole each other. It's really not funny anymore, it's just shitting on top of shit.

*theyre KIDS

Fucking fingers.

I think that was an interesting Freudian slip. This place really is just naked id, which is one of the things which attracted me here. And what it says about the latest generation is both depressing and alarming.

>gf
>11 years
Wat?

Yeah, now that you mention it...

And it really is. I mean, people come here because they like it, presumably. They understand that they have to live with the consequences of constantly shitting this place up, right? I mean, even cave men knew not to shit where they eat.

USENET. Ha, ha. I miss Lynx. Google does beat the shit out of Gopher and Archie.

Sup Forums was never good.

This has been the case since I started coming here in 2005. Although I remember the early days fondly, and it's definitely changed for the worse, there were always people complaining about what a shithole it was.

I think the introduction of CAPTCHA was when things started really going downhill. More regulation=less lulz.

fuck off you quivering mound of sphincter chutney

I held out on Lynx as long as I possibly could, until every website looked like a solid screen of [IMAGE] [IMAGE] [IMAGE] [IMAGE] [IMAGE] [IMAGE] [IMAGE] [IMAGE] [IMAGE] [IMAGE] [IMAGE] [IMAGE] [IMAGE] [IMAGE] [IMAGE] [IMAGE]. The thing I loved about Gopher was that it gave you the data you wanted with no fucking spinning goat skull GIFs or dripping blood bars.

youtu.be/pHvgUJr75PM

Sup Forums was never good, but I remember a time when I could refresh the front page and always find two or three threads by decent storytellers with a yarn to spin which was funny or amazing or surprising or educational, and half the fun was figuring out whether it was true or bullshit. Sure, there was plenty of cancer, but now I can refresh for hours and not find a single thing except vanilla pr0n you could find on any thumb site, pictures of teenaged cocks, and idiot racism threads by the same small handful of mouth-breathing Stormfags.

Yes. You have a good point on the trinkets that clutter pages starting with HTML 2.0 and now so much worse with JAVA. I do not miss 300 baud connection.

My first modem was a 110 baud teletype machine the size of a toaster oven with acoustic couplers for the telephone receiver. I used to dial up the university mainframe and play Maze of the Minotaur. No monitor, so I'd have to wait 20 minutes between print-outs. And if I wanted to switch programs, I had to call the computer science department and ask them to change the reel.

For me, 300 baud was a big step up. But the biggest jump for me was 2400 baud. For the first time I didn't have to stop typing every few words to let the buffer empty. That was just magic. Even going from 56k to xDSL didn't feel that magical.

Congratulations on surviving, venerable pioneer. I think the first game I saw might have been called "cannon" and made for TTY. 00

Jeep

I haven’t been on IRC in 17 years. I got tired of being slapped with a trout.

/me is away

Ha, I finally sent some money to Mardam-Bey last year and registered. I figured after 20 years of using mIRC for free I owed him that. I told him that too, and he sent me a personal thanks.

Some trivia about mIRC you might not know: the US military controls their drones with mIRC. Apparently they have IRC servers onboard. No kidding.

tbh one of the people that showed up around the time aol did, we really didnt ruin the internet. People just have no reason to put quality content and pay for webspace hosting without getting some compensation for it. Researchers and uni students have topics to go over. Consumers don't and having a page that doesn't generate revenue is pointless people will just go to a webhost that already pays the hosting fees and tries pushing money making schemes like ads when it doesn't work to keep the lights on

There is really nothing for people to organize internet communities around since most things are protected by copyright and you're losing out on cash hosting a site, so people flock to the bigger consumer sites that are there for profit meaning it's generally trying to build a consensus to deliver content for profit, so either fit into a demographic or don't.

the problem with this is some of these demographics are not really as clever as researchers that it doesn't take any effort to troll them, literally just shit posting facts is enough to upset them. People think you're trolling them if you disagree on anything so they think you're trolling if your not telling them something they want to hear.
lack of regulation on content without consumer basis on the internet was a mistake. it wasn't a free market, and it didn't regulate stuff that would of improved it culturally.

Trolling isn't an "art" it's about disrupting whatever it isyou want to disrupt.
If a thread on Sup Forums is made that is obvious shit, you can still bet your ass it's getting bumped by idiots or it's respective OP, so shitposting it is actually a way of getting rid of low quality threads

There's no such thing as an activity which is pure, idealistic, and perfect. When you were younger, you lived in a bubble and only saw the trolls with whom you fraternized. So you saw only those people who took trolling seriously and applied effort to the craft. You either ignored / disavowed those who put no effort into the art (True Scotsman Fallacy) or were unaware of their existence.

What you've witnessed is not the downfall of trolling as an art, but the encroachment of those who do not treat trolling as an art into your home. There were always banana posters and people shouting faggot, they just weren't on Sup Forums before. Now they are. If you want your art back, you have to hide away in the mountains or accept that there will be noise.

It's funny how many times the images they post have watermarks, are low quality or are very obviously just copied from facebook.

Back in my day you'd be laughed out of a thread on Sup Forums if you posted an image with a watermark.