So I found out this will be playing near me in October. Never seen a Godzilla film...

So I found out this will be playing near me in October. Never seen a Godzilla film, is this just a meme or should I go see it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0r3e2x0gdJg
youtube.com/watch?v=1447nDJPsSg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>never seen a Godzilla film

Go watch up, then. You got a month

if it looks interesting, definitely.

don't worry about slogging through all of the other films beforehand either, just watch the 1954 one if any

do you like big monster smashing city?

yes - go
no - dont go

this isnt rocket sciency gakkibakakun

Go see the 1954 one.

>Never seen a Godzilla film

You don't deserve to have this film playing near you.

for 15 minutes of a 2 hour movie

>never seen a Godzilla film
This one is unlike others. Even If you like others you might not like this.

You might want to watch some Japanese comedy and see if you like them

I don't know how to describe it. There were a name for this kind of movie but I forgot.

It's a kind of comedy very common in Japan but people outside hate it.

Everyone puts on a straight face and speak a series of nonsense without break.

It has zero connection to any of those films. Not even the same genre.

kind of like airplane! but without the comedic visuals?

> tfw based Anno saving another genre from death by self flagellation.

Give that man a fucking metal.

Ok I got a close example for you. If you can stand this you might like this movie
Japanese Tradition
youtube.com/watch?v=0r3e2x0gdJg

Otherwise you can still enjoy the battle scenes

You might want to try their soundtracks. The battle scene with music should be fun for everyone. If you like their music that is.
youtube.com/watch?v=1447nDJPsSg

It's honestly more than toho deserves. In ten years people will be writing how nothing will ever top it just like they do with fucking Eva.

>saved
I wouldn't say he saved a genre if what he did cannot be copied or even followed up by the genre.

I mean you wouldn't say QT saved Shaw Bros' over the top kungfu movies by making Kill Bill out of it.

Good point but it's probably a case of too little too late. Nobody's there to pic up the torch.

Well how should I put it....it's not about directors but rather about the audience.

Asians still watch martial art movies. Movies like Ip Man and The Raid. It's more sophisticated and much more expensive than Shaw Bros style

I think it's the same thing with Kaiju movies. People have changed. They would watch Anno's Godzilla precisely because it's a twist.

Make certain you see the Japanese version of the 1954 original, not the American version. If Raymond Burr shows up, you're doing it wrong.

To be fair, the American version isn't bad. It's still top-tier film making, and Burr does give a great narration during the final attack. It just doesn't compare well to the original.
I would recommend watching the original and then maybe 4 or 5 that interest you to see if you like these kinds of films. GMK is a good modern choice.

Is there no solid collection for godzilla films? I don't feel like going out and looking DLs or torrents for each just to find dead links.
I don't mind buying either

Final wars is goat.

There was a huge ass torrent i downloaded about two years ago that had all the original japanese versions subbed.

Might be still alive.

>watch the 1954 original

when will this meme finally die?

Dont listen to them bruh, the 1954 movie is nothing what the rest of the actual Godzilla franchise is about... the creators did a 360° turn after that one. Imagine if the first Bond movie was about a KGB-Assassin named James Bond (while the other movies stayed the same), that would basically be the Bond-equivalent to Godzilla 1954.

except if he wants a primer for anno's film, the original is the closest in general approach and premise

>Anno initially wanted to decline the project, saying that his Godzilla can't match the the original

Did he mean that he is confident to match the sequels?

I think this movie is similar to Eva Rebuild 1.0

Godzilla films are mostly shit desu

What are some good Godzilla movies? Just give me a list

There are only 2 types of godzilla films, one where he fights a monster and ones where he doesn't

they're all more or less the same

Godzilla is boring as fuck
He just a superman version monster, IE. he is to overpowered

He gets his ass kicked sometimes and needs help

Personally I like:
Original
Vs Mothra
Vs Ghidora Vs Mothra (the new one)
Return
vs Biolante
Vs Ghidora '91
Destroyah
Final War

>vs Biolante
>Vs Ghidora '91
shit, don't get the love

Much preferred the following two, more action

Go to kissasian.com and they have most of them

Mothra vs godzilla 1964, not the 1992 one
Destroy all monsters
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 1974
Terror of Mechagodzilla

Godzilla 1984
Biollante

GMK
Godzilla x Mechagodzilla 2002

There are other good and entertaining ones, but id say those are the best of the best

Yeah, someone has to explain the love for Godzilla vs Biollante

Fights were short, Godzilla domianted each time and it flopped at the box office

Why is the 1993 MechGodzilla film the only MG one you don't like?

I thought it was pretty neat

Thanks my dudes

>kissasian.com
Does it have subbed movies?

Biollante, like 1984 delt a lot with interactions with other countries in the wake of godzilla and focused on modern issues like bio terrorism and tension between other countries, also great set peices like godzilla vs super x2 and the commandos in Osaka

Ghidorah, I'll admit feels a bit overrated, the the final battle is interesting and the shindo stuff is great, but the time travel stuff has huge faults and not all the characters stand out, but it seems a lot better compared to Mothra 92

Oh wait, can't even download

I said there are others that are entertaining but not the best of the best

Mechagodzilla 92 is good, probably really good

>it seems a lot better compared to Mothra 92
I like how Godzilla was defeated and Mothra/Battara teamed up

But mostly how we didn't have to wait an hour for Godzilla to turn up (in the present day) like in vs Ghidora. There were quite a few fights and they were well spaced out

I watched one or two Godzillas and i'm honestly surprised so many people here watched all those 8 or more Godzillas.

The main problem with the movie is that it's very preachy about being an environmental thing (mankind did this for millions of years etc), but the main damage, the island, Battra waking up, godzilla waking up, was all done by an asteroid, literally out of humanity's hands. The villain felt like a cheap knock off of the one from Mothra vs godzilla and the plot felt like a weaker variant of the very first Mothra. I wasn't surprised to find out this was a very quick rewrite of another unmade Mothra movie that had godzilla and Battra thrown in

There's a torrent out there that has all films up until Final Wars. It's around 50GBs, movies are in 720p and all have English subtitles. Look it up

> Supe's power makes him boring.

I wish these meme would die already. He actually has one of the best rosters of threatening foes out of DC with plenty of weaknesses it's just that WB is about the worst studio on the planet.

Nice surface level comprehension there

>720p
they're all .avi files though

So?