Would you ever want to colonize Mars if things ever became "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" tier Sup...

Would you ever want to colonize Mars if things ever became "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" tier Sup Forums?

I'd take it. Probably would live a crappy life like a Jamestown colonist, but I'd make my mark on history.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martian_lava_tube
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantropa
nifs.ac.jp/report/NIFS-886.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Would you ever want to colonize Mars
It honestly depends on many factors, like what would I be doing daily and such.

>if
No if. Want right now. Always want to go to Mars.

Mars is a fucking deathtrap.

I'd rather be out in a hab floating around the sun.

Amen Canadabro. Raise a redpilled family, instill old school values, eventually go full Zeon and rebel against Earth gov once we become self sustainable.

Nice Destiny Screencap friend! Firebase Delphi is best map!! XXDD

I'd do it right now if i had the chance.
Provided there's enough tech to keep the colony alive and healthy, I'd do any decent job short of gay prostitution.
It's a chance to start fresh on a different planet. No global economy, no religious zealotry, no bullshit politics, just me, my shovel and the red earth beneath my feet.

It would be assloads of work starting to build the base for terraforming but sure.

i do, i definitely do

musk said he could probably get a one way ticket down to around 400k. dunno if i could make that but i think its a reasonable life goal to have

i just hope that its far enough away that society has no influence on the cultural development

Well there would be a shitton of scientific tests to be done at the behest of world goverments and scientific corporations, but thats another story.

Dropping shit on Africa and India would be really easy with a space foothold.

Space exploration is a waste of money. Nothing good comes out of it. Especially considering we have too many problems here on Earth we have not yet solved.

>shovel
Sheesh, I hope not.
>terraforming
That would take forever.

We need to start sending robots to map out these things:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martian_lava_tube

Hey, the moment we get enough vespene gas for an anti-missile system the world governments can go fuck themselves.
The only research we'd be doing is in life support and genetically engineered cat-girls.

They said the same thing about the Americas 500 years ago, and look at where we are now.

I did say build the base, didn't I. Be it giant domes, halls or underground in lava tubes.

Eventually though, with all the ice in the solar system, it would be possible to terraform mars

To many demon outbreaks

>if things ever became "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" tier Sup Forums?
I'm already here now.

faggot

How about the low gravity?

centrifuge desu senpai

>it would be possible to terraform mars
Mars doesn't have a magnetic field to make this truly possible

that'd still be too early for me user. I'd say the safe point would be when we could successfully construct the high end polymers, computers, and all the other necessary capital 100% on Mars without any imports from earth.

Only then could we safely say fuck them with greatly diminished repercussions of embargo.

You do realise that the first person to step foot on Mars is going to be a black female because the future current year, right?
There won't be an option to stop blacks from coming either.

Not much to do about it apart from living in centrifuges.

Not sure what the presumed effect of that are going to be really though? I think growing up in low gravity makes you taller, but more frail.

We should have been building underwater and moon bases by now

>tfw you could have been an deep sea colonist but no one cared

martians would look different than earth humans obviously

by the point we can manage to carry enough ice and other resources required for terraforming we can probably generate artificial magnetic fields or heat the core back up

I would like to leave this planet, but because type 1 diabetes they wouldn't take me with them...

All we'd really have to do is import/generate a shitton of greenhouse gases. It'd probably take a few decades if we did it at chinese speed but eventually it could bulk up the thinned density of the Martian atmosphere for non microscopic life to survive.

Only big worry would be some sort of serious adverse reaction taking place causing an Andromeda effect.

They could. the only thing is that you'd probably be among the older colonists when they'd be willing to take you. Gotta look at how they did transatlantic travel in the 1600s for a refrence point. That or be rich enough that Elon Musk would transport insulin or insulin creating components/machines. But I could see him doing it for his rich buddies.

But thinking that they would only take the genetically healthy ones. Kinda like having a "fresh" start.

But yeah, if there is a chance for it, will have to snatch my fiancee with me aswell.

How will be post on Sup Forums? With the latency we'll never be able to out-banter anyone. Earthlings will always be like "Oh, martians are so slow!". They are going to reply to us with memes like "15 minutes later, on Mars..." or some shit. :(

>colonize Mars

You'd have to import literally EVERYTHING just to stay alive. Air, water, food, shelter... Mars is a dead world that cannot retain an atmosphere.

You might as well start a colony at the bottom of the sea. At least that way, you wouldn't have to wait six months for help if something went critically wrong.

Pic related, without a magnetic field, solar winds beat the shit out of Mars every day.

just make fun of them for being stuck with poo in loos and niggers
or living on earth in the year 20XX

I'd absolutely say colonize Mars in order to bring about the true prophesy of what happens during that time period.

>2072
>no comfy mars storm
>no deep underground well ventilated bunker and abundant clean water supply

>lie through psych eval to get on Mars mission
>land
>kill a few males with a wrench
>declare self first king of Mars, hold wimmenz and dudez hostage to earth for supplies
>establish sovereign worldnation
>bang wimmenz and create the first true martien heirs to the space toilet/throne

All hail king aeries.

Inna woods is more habitable.

This, Terriforming mars is near impossible without restarting it's magnetic field. The best we will have on mars is underground cities or biodomes.

It's more likely that we will reach another earth that is livable before mars could complete a terraformation

>written as if poster wouldn't just sit inside 24/7 breathing recycled air and posting on mchan.

Right. You're getting so much out of the outside world currently.

>restarting it's magnetic field
Soo.. gotta do like in "The Core"?

No, yeah, I wouldn't care either. It would be for other people.

You are a burger flipper slave

in space you will have the same shit job but in space form

So once again we get better materialistic things
Which is shit cuz that does not verify u being forced to slave till you die

Also when we go to space remember that your life will not bw remembered unless your a 33 degree freemason

it depends. how many solar pannel arrays are we setting up and are they giving me personally a insane rig (pc). ill go right now if we got enough power for me to play vidya all day on a titanx sl rig

Ask a government funded, intergalactic space explorer anything

Go on, I'm listening

welfare queen

technically you already are

>implying the newest, best games support SLI before 2yrs post release
dob geg

Fuck yeah, especially if I get a chance to climb Olympus Mons.

No because Martian gravity is like 30% of what Earths is. I think that the best effort for colonization would be to continually sent a bunch of resources to an Earth like planet and work on both faster than light travel or stasis technology.

Terraforming Mars is way, way outside of what is currently achievable and due to the weak Martian gravity is isn't really worth it. If you know how to add more mass to a planet and terraform an atmosphere then go to NASA because they'll hire you. Unfortunately the obscene resources required and the small payoff means that it'll barely be worth it.

Terraforming Venus would be better but realistically terraforming anything is a shitty idea.

You're right but i want an invasion from Hell

Yes , no jews there ! Finaly i could escape the slavery of the financial system made to make us all slaves .

Ok cool but you'd have better luck just editing the genes of babies to make them have mutations or something. Much cheaper.

Anyone coming from mars will have brittle as fuck bones and you'd be able to beat the shit out of them do to their acclimatization of the martian gravity.

Fuck we don't even know what would happen to a fetus in utero in a low gravity environment lol.

We should definitely mine mars and maybe establish a permanent base there where people spend semipermanent time there.

If we can simulate Earth like gravity on a space station then it would be much more prudent to live on space stations rather than mars.

>add more mass
You could also condense it or move more of the mass near the surface.
Some planets are less overall massive than others, but have higher surface gravity due to the weight distribution.
This is also impossible to do and a pointless comment.

If our technology has progressed to the point of terraforming mars then we'd probably be already colonizing/colonized another world. Mars is not our best shot realistically.

Honestly, I'd like to colonize Earth.

< I think you forgot where we are...

If we could build mountains in the middle of Australia and the Sahara we could easily add thousands of square KM of habitable land.

We also currently posses the technology for large land reclamation projects such as drying up the English channel to create a lot more land.

>build mountains
Huh neat. That would affect the climate and make the land less dry somehow?

That's not what I meant. I meant clear out all the fucking human cancer and start an actual civilization without you fucking mongs.

Heh.. yeah I guess. The next logical step is probably just outer space industrial bases. In the asteroid belt? That would be a boring place. Just the void to stare at.

You're 100% right on all accounts. I'm not denying this. I just want the hubris of a human controlled colony on the first planet we colonize (for growth or purely material/manufacturing reasons) to be a humorously hideous downfall. This is why the first time we reach out and establish a banner it can't be on an Earth-like planet. We will destroy it. We will learn from the process. Making sure we don't nuke the only naturally habitable one within several light years will actually sustain (and propagate) the human race. I'm half kidding when I say I want an invasion from Hell - I hate people in general and a challenger would be well appreciated. But if we're to survive, history has shown we need a fucking lesson in how bad shit can go. If we're to actually succeed I mean. Humanity's history can be boiled down to
>success
>fuckup
>success
>serious fuckup
>success
>colossal fuckup
>success
ad infinitum.

To add to that - let EC-01 be the lesson taught in history books. Let all after that be examples we learn from while simultaneously enjoyed their resources and habitat.

Basically the rain would condense and fall as snow on the top of the mountain and create a cooler and more humid environment around the base extending far from the mountain. Also when the snow melts it provides the surrounding area with a lot of water.

Some big mountains could make large areas of desert habitable and farmable. Plus it could supply those dry areas populations with nice fresh water, I think a big problem with other ideas of permaculture is that it requires drawing water from already overstressed sources or large scale desalination which the long term effects would be to fuck the ocean and requires a lot of energy to maintain, also it's not really a permanent solution.

Being the first guy on Mars would be cool. Being the 20th guy is like "who gives a fuck" but you accomplish a lot of cool and important stuff Being the 500th guy is the worst cause you are just now a worker bee and will not even be mentioned in the history books. It would be cool to the the 100.000th cause everything is established pretty well and you are like "cool I am on Mars".

Honestly I think that you wouldn't really want too many people living in space aside from a rotating crew (too much time spent in space has really dire health consequences such as bone density shrinkage worse than osteoporosis sufferers). If we're at the stage where we are mining space we'll probably have it mostly automated.

We would probably want drone factories in outer space, maybe build them on the moon or whatever and we'd have a space elevator on Earth so that we can safely receive the minerals. I think a cool consequence of this would be that we could start to eventually build big space ships in space which would drastically reduce the cost and perhaps even work on things like orbital hydroponics farms that rely solely on the 24/7 solar power you get in space. The less land that we use on Earth for farming/mining etc the more people we can support on Earth.

Eventually I think we'll have a master list of planets that are within range of Earth using nuclear propulsion or the EM drive and that are also potentially habitable and we'll establish a colony there. I imagine that we'll basically just keep doing this until we've colonized as much as possible. It's going to be much harder if we don't have FTL travel but with stasis technology and potential lifepan increasing medical enhancements it is feasible.

Any new colony needs hundreds not dozens. Any ship sent to Mars to colonize will have likely near 1000 or more people on it.

Haha, the biggest "fuckup" will probably be that in a considerably short time the people on the colony will develop their own culture, customs and be far more patriotic to their colony than Earth. They won't want to do what Earth tells them and either Earth will starve them out, militarily agress them or will cut contact. Interstellar war will most likely be between different human colonized planets for sure.

Not neccesarily, it might be more prudent to send people gradually rather than in one fell swoop. If you really wanted to save on costs as much as possible you could send a bunch of women and send heaps of frozen sperm. I remember reading that you need around 1500 breeding partners in order to have a population that won't succumb to the effects of inbreeding, we have so much genetic variation stored in the ball sacs of dudes living on Earth that it won't be too much of a hassle.

If you think interstellar war or even aggression will happen between Earth and the colonies so early you've been playing too many 4x games. Rebellion is likely but it's not gonna happen in the first 4 or 5 generations of [colony]-born people. The influx from Earth is going to be massive for a long time, enough to keep the people inhabiting any planet from feeling like there's a difference between "us and them."

We're way past "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" tier pham

That's interesting! First time I hear about it. And I forgot a lot about the hydro-cycle I guess (they thought me that I'm sure). Seems like it would require yuuge mountains to make a difference though. That would be hell of a project.

The other megageoprojects I heard about were draining the mediterranean (this one is somewhat famous):
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantropa

And creating new lakes in northern Africa by digging canals with nukes (I forgot how those projects were called). The water would evaporate and cause more rain. Eventually the lake beds would become filled with salt though.

Sure and not to mention that they won't have power anywhere comparable to Earth for a long time but the culture will be exceedingly different and I would wager that the populations of the colonies will be disproportionately Chinese, Indian and African, from overpopulated overstrained countries seeking a better life. Westerners on these colonies will be a minority and I think that we won't have too frequent contact with the colonists either due to the speed of light. We won't be able to spam them with imperialistic American media very well.

My negro.

This. I'm bored of Earth.

Yeah it would be an incredibly expensive project but when you look at the international rise of real estate prices, overcrowding of cities and an increasingly urbanized human population it seems inevitable that we're going to need more large cities.

I remember reading about Atlantropa and I think it is pretty awesome, I think that the huge amount of hydroelectricity generated for it would be awesome. Apparently it would have cost only a little bit more than the US invasion of Iraq lol.

>FTL travel
I don't even dream about it... :/
I'm resigned to at least one year per light year (actually more with acceleration and deceleration time) and we won't be reaching anything near c for a long while I'm guessing. Even with time dilation for people on the ship, it sucks.
>EM drive
Is it just a meme?

I read that with nuclear propulsion we could actually travel at 4.5% the speed of light which could mean that we reach our closest star 100 years.

If you can make either a generation ship or a cryotasis chamber maybe it could work?

>solar wind
>real

Put down the reefer pipe and stop believing everything the Space Jew tells you, hippie.

>Apparently it would have cost only a little bit more than the US invasion of Iraq lol.
Damn. That's a shame...

It'll be different but it will be ours. Idk if you've watched Babylon 5 but it's a good example of the kind of diplomacy a not completely Earth based system can implement while maintaining independence yet also holding "American" ideals. It will be different, it will be strange, but there will be a mainstream train of thought that's held by the inhabitants regardless of the daily migrations. That's how people function.The culture does shift slightly but it's also transferred slightly. This is why I want the first station destroyed from a "Hell-like invasion" because I know that no matter what happens our first try will get sacrificed on the altar of progress and we'll keep on keepin' on. Here's hopin' it's brutal as fuck and normies get redpilled in the meantime.

Gotta sleep as it's 1:30am, but thanks for being the uncommon Aussie and having a conversation.

Without sending a recon mission first, we wouldn't even know what we're sending them to. The ship would have to be huge to be prepared for every eventuality.

It would probably be much cheaper to send a human factory instead. Frozen embryos or something. A few decades before reaching destination, babies are grown in tubes and raised by robots. If scanners don't show habitable planets they could just not bother with the humans and the mission becomes to establish an automated outpost instead.

inb4 autism

> Be Scientist in mid 22nd century
> decide it would be smart to colonize Mars
> form the U.A.C. and start excavations on Mars
> uncover ruins and artifacts from an ancient civilization that inhabited Mars long ago
> Learn how to use teleportation technology from one of the uncovered stones
> build bases on Mars' moons Demos and Phobos
> start playing with teleportation technology
> all of a sudden Mars record transmissions from the bases on the two moons that something has come out of the teleporter
> Demos loses complete communication
> Phobos requests immediate help
> Mars sends up a security team
> Demos complete disappears from Mars' Orbit
> stand outside base on Phobos with Pistol while your team goes in to look for survivors
> suddenly you hear loud screams and gunfire over your radio
> communications then go silent
> you open the door to the base and go find your team

make a thread on >>/qst/

Legendary
Link it when you do plz

You ever seen the first total recall? Like that.

Hello.
nifs.ac.jp/report/NIFS-886.pdf

i would probably go down with the ship, and by that i mean stay at home and post on Sup Forums all the time like i do already

Another option, believe it or not, is the upper atmosphere of Venus. Unlike most of the planet, the air that far above the clouds has a climate and atmospheric pressure very similar to Earth's. It's free of Venus' extreme toxicity too, so as long as you had a constant oxygen supply and could live in the sky, it would likely be survivable.

Oh sweet, Japan saves the day!

>Here we show that a series of planet-encircling superconducting rings can provide an artificial geomagnetic field equivalent to 10% of the present-day field necessary to prevent adverse effects. A feasible system consists of 12 latitudinal high-temperature superconducting rings, each carrying 6.4 MA current with a modest 1 GW of power requirement.

It seems like they mean that this 10% of the earth's field is enough protection.

Must be a lot of matter to lift though. But Mars is a better place for a space elevator than the Earth.

Why Mars? Why not Europa?

Is there something wrong with me if my first thought was how badass of an execution method it would be to just drop people down into the Venusian hellscape? 450C and 90ATMs.

IT IS FORBIDDEN

It depends.

Just manufacture it on site.

People can live underground in the mean time

>the chance to colonize Mars
I would divorce my wife, and leave next week if I had to. I honestly don't even care what job I would be doing there.

Fuck those rectangular space niggers, we're going there.

>move to Mars
>use iron resources to create weapons
>become Adeptus Mechanicus

I can't wait

They would die long before they hit the ground.

Nope. It probably wouldn't be feasible to keep things like bodies around anyway.

I like that ring-style dome. I haven't seen that one before.