Any military fags/ coasties on here? I am 90 percent thinking about joining the coast guard because I need disipline...

Any military fags/ coasties on here? I am 90 percent thinking about joining the coast guard because I need disipline, structure, hardwork in my life. I want to go in to save money, save people, learn how to be a leader, go on adventures and travel. The thing is though that I am graduating this year with my firefighter associates degree. My plan originally was to be a firefighter. I'm hoping the military will make me a better firefighter (if I still want to be one when I get out)
So my question is military and firefags
Is the coast guard a good time and am I going in for the right reasons?

>Should I join the military/coast guard after I get my degree or keep pursuing firefighting when I graduate?

Other urls found in this thread:

airforce.com/careers/detail/fire-protection?gclid=CjwKCAjw_dTMBRBHEiwApIzn_PvJr_GBJQAM6QMHYucHjRHzH3u1Lk7QVY32zpDuzz8u1gldDSoieBoCnPwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIT0oc7b3dUCFUayTwodQesPHA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

you don't need to go do something drastic to become a leader. their are people in your town that need a leader right now. just take the plunge, just like you would for the coast guard. i'm thinking you want the ~prestige~ that comes with the job tho. could be wrong.

Not at all prestige is not a concept I care about. I do things for myself and for the people I want to help.

Yes. Do it. They will most definetly make you a better fire fighter and don't listen to the armed forces guys, coast guard is badass. Wish I would've joined.

Why didn't you join? Are you in the military? What do you know about the coast guard that might be helpful to me?

You'll be fighting an army of idiots trying to drown themselves,

I don't mind that at all! In fact that's what I want to do. I just want to know how long I'm in the coast guard before I actually get a chance to save people.

Retired from Air Force law enforcement and Army military police. Had a great time at both and would do it all over again. Was front and center for the eruption of Mt. Pinatubo and stayed for three weeks after doing recovery ops. Two tours in Iraq. Met a lot of great people and was lucky to always be in the shit. Would go back if they would take me.

You have the right idea. Don't go into a MOS that sits behind a desk. Maximum impact. Maximum rush.

I'm thinking Boatswain's Mate or Damagecontrolman in the CG.

As long as you understand as a Boatswain's Mate you are a jack of all trades. If it needs cleaned, fixed or painted, you are doing it. Granted, you will be on the ship when it responds to calls, but make sure you don't mind the mundane aspects.

Nice trips. How bad can cleaning, fixing or painting really be?

Not saying it is bad, but if it isn't your thing you are going to get sick of it quickly. Saying make sure the job is right for you. When I first went in, the recruiters were trying to get me into administrative jobs, because of my math score. I hate math and wanted a job where I did something outdoors and physical. Ended up patrolling the Arizona desert and loved it! Right job, right fit.

Any tips for a potential coastie that is looking for adventure and to save lives? How long do I have to be in before I start saving lives?

Depends on the job you have and the location you are assigned. Tropical storms, hurricanes, drug enforcement. What is the location doing in those areas? Low need for drug interdiction and calm weather makes for boring times. Could go your entire career and save no lives.

Dude wtf I'm doing the same thing you're doing. Only I'm joining air guard as fire protection, then I'm moving to LA to join LAFD.

Are you getting your associates degree? I was thinking about joining the air guard. What is different about the air guard from the air force?

Yeah I'm getting my associates in fire science, right now I'm on my last year, currently getting my EMT. Air force is full time, air guard is that weekend warrior thing. IMO air force firefighting is really good because you come decked out with certificates, fire departments prefer those with military experience because they run their operations similarly. Also when you're taking their candidate test, having military background and an AS in fire science automatically grants you points.

You know the Air Force, Army and Marines have actual fire depts? I was a fire dawg in the Air Force... 3E751. We were Crash Fire Rescue. It's an interesting dynamic. I say go for it.

I want to get my EMT but I am so sick of school. That's why I'm taking 18 credits this semester so I can get the fuck out. Are you in the air force now?
What can you tell me about what it's like to be an air force firefighter?

How tall are you?

5'7

Hey man, I know school sucks but that's what it takes to stand out as a candidate. More fire departments nationwide are now putting EMT as a requirement or preference to applicants. But are you saying that your school doesn't have an EMT-B course?

Also I've enlisted, I ship out after I graduate with my degree.

Not tall enough for coast guard.

Lmao that's not what they told me at all.

Nice! Talking to you has made me wonder if the Coast Guard is really the right choice for me compared to the Air Force. The reason I don't want to take my EMT class is because I want to try shipping out right after I graduate.

You have to be tall enough to walk to shore, in case your boat sinks.

Let's see, During exercises (NRE etc), we don't get tapped for guard duty. We sit on the tarmac in our crash trucks, sitting in a/c or heat (winter).

As far as everyday life. 24 on 24 off, a Kelly day every two weeks (so a 3 day break every 2 weeks). Training... training, and more training. If you aren't washing trucks, you are working on your certs. If you aren't working on your certs, you are out practicing fire fighter skills.

After 1630, it's down time. Eat dinner (fabulous btw), watch TV, browse the net, sleep, until 0630.

It's truly a job and not military in that aspect. You do have the occasional deployment, but never to forward bases (in my experience) we did a couple of bag drags but nothing came from it.

Lmao fuck off troll

Man even going for combat medic in the army helps you get your emt too. There's more than one path to this. I would also look into federal fire if the city fire department you want isn't hiring. Most importantly, study for that candidate test.

So during the 24 hours you are working how much of that time is spent doing nothing or what you want? Did you feel that all the training was worth it or that it gave you good skills for after you got out of the air force?

I coast guard won't accept you unless you're more than 6'. They want to make sure that if the ship sink you can still walk to shore.

Ex SoF here.

All of the reasons why you want to enlist are good ones and you will definitely come out the other side with those attributes firmly ingrained into who you are.

If nothing else it will make you a more physically fit candidate and make you well prepared for the type of work, decisions, and hours that you will encounter during your service as a fireman.

Can you link me to this? I called my recruitment person and they weren't saying that my height was an issue. Where are you getting this information from?

This is funny.
This is even funnier.

So in essence, you are supposed to be busy from Roll Call to retreat( when they lower the colors) so 8 to 4:30, the rest of the time you are just in standby mode until a call comes in, so 7 and a half hours are actual busy work and the rest is left to you. Though sometimes you get a dickhead for a station captain, and they do drills in the evening... but that's pretty uncommon.

As far as skills and certs. It's all IFSAC and NFPA certifications. They transfer to most states (Texas not being one of them). I'm currently certified to be a truck captain.

If it weren't for the state I am living in now, I'd still be a firefighter. I did work for the DoD as a civilian for a number of years after I separated. It was very worth it, rewarding and challenging.

What kinds of NFPA certs can you get? All in all would you say that for the path I'm going on in the posted OP that being an Airforce firefighter would be worth it? How was working as a DoD firefighter? What was rewarding and challenging about it.

>Firefighter I
>Firefighter II
>Pumper Operator
>Driver Operator ARFF
>HAZMAT Operations
>HAZMAT Technician
>Fire Inspector I
>Fire Inspector II
>Fire Instructor I
>Fire Instructor II
>Fire Officer I
>Fire Officer II

Those were just my certs, there are a few more I'm sure I forgot), the fire officer/inspector/instructor certs go to IV.

For me, it was totally worth it. It might initially suck for you, because you have to retrain at Louis F Garland Fire Academy (it's a joint training facility that all branches use).

Working as a DoD firefighter was no different than the Air Force, same schedule, just no orders and more slacking.

As far as rewarding... I felt like I was actually doing something. I was contributing to the well being of the area around me. The comrade was excellent, you feel like you belong.

It was challenging in regards to what you learned, how you applied it and you your were mentally tough enough to deal with some of the stress involved. I've carried detached body parts from the scene of an accident. It leaves an impression on you.

Thank You! I'm going to look into it more now.

Make sure you ask for AFSC 3E751 Fire Protection Journeyman.

I'm in the coast guard, defiantly a good choice i think. you can get all the benefits of being in the military with out going to the middle east unless you put in for it.
If you want to be a firefighter military experience will defiantly help you get hired on. I would suggest the Damage control rate they will give you more firefighting schooling and emergency shipboard repair experience. its a good time you should do it.

airforce.com/careers/detail/fire-protection?gclid=CjwKCAjw_dTMBRBHEiwApIzn_PvJr_GBJQAM6QMHYucHjRHzH3u1Lk7QVY32zpDuzz8u1gldDSoieBoCnPwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIT0oc7b3dUCFUayTwodQesPHA

you suck Dick weekly, I'm a coast guard queer too

gay ass fag

I'll fuck your daughter raw