So Sup Forums, are you going to be watching the solar eclipse?

So Sup Forums, are you going to be watching the solar eclipse?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AJlYGgSRguE
youtube.com/watch?v=K42UqWGdA_o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Of course!

live streaming my suicide im going to cut my wrist into0 pieces as promised. It is my last resort.

Only niggers are watching solar eclipse.

In my front yard basicly so I have no choice in the matter

link pls

Oh! I guess I'll see you there then!

oops

Wait, what if.. it's not actually the moon moving in between but a giant UFO come to beam everyone away that looks at it?

its going to be around 80% where im at, wish i could drive 9 hours for the closest spot where its 100%

Driving 20 hours to see it

Lucky you, i'll be lucky to hit 50%.

Augusta State Med. Security Prison. same place I'll be for next 36 months.

Make sure you guys all wear protection when looking at it.. I heard the sun might have STIs. But you can take the protection off when the moon is in the middle takin the heat for ya.

I'm going. Gonna be about a 5 hour drive, but I'll be right near the point of greatest duration. As a ham, I'm also participating in the "propagation research" going on. I'll be recording the WWVB time signal, and have a few radios going testing low power 10m, 2m, and 70cm band transmission. I'll have a camera doing time lapse of the ground horizon, and another pointed toward the sun recording the moons travel, and so on. And I may as well toss in a Twitch stream for some added cash on top of what I'm already being paid to do all this.

Who else is in Southern Illinois?

I'm going to stare directly at it with no protection to absorb it's power.

my local maximum looks pretty decent almost like a crescent moon. so i guess i'll watch it from home. i wonder if i need those special glasses? since it's not a full eclipse.

youtube.com/watch?v=AJlYGgSRguE
This isn't how it works.

you do if you're going to look up

I was thinking of it, good spot down near Giant City State Park, but had to move. Things are ALREADY crowded as hell down there. If all goes well, I'll be right off 65 over at Truck Stop in Cross Plains, TN. Funny thing, from some of my cross country treks, Truck Stops are fucking awesome. Pilot or Flying J is perfect. Plenty of room, restaurants, coffee whenever I need it, showers, and everyone is so friendly to a white guy. Mostly white there too, so generally safe. Well lit too.

To be honest, ANY time you want to look directly at the sun, eclipse or no, you need those special glasses... or Welder's Goggles/glasses/helmet shade 12 or higher.

hell ye boi

brother and I are going up to Wyoming or Idaho to watch.

I have a feeling traffic is going to be a fucking nightmare, that's why we're camping several hours south and just driving up early in the morning

What'd you do user?

The lightest I would go is shade 10. Absolute bare minimun, and safe for momentary glances at the sun, not full on staring at it for hours on end though.

You're being paid for ham shit, or you're being paid for the photos?

Well, they recommend 14 or higher, some places say 12 is the bare minimum though...

Really? Then why did professor science say it would?

Depends. Traffic the day of, anywhere near cities larger than 15,000 people will be a nightmare the day of.

yeah just read up on it

true, but it's not like i've never looked directly at it before. it hurts but it's whatever. granted i'm not looking up during the eclipse w/out glasses. i just read up on it.

it's not like i remember all my eclipse info from when i was in elementary school. i honestly completely forgot all of it.

That's for extended viewing though. Shade 5 can be useful for a digital camera, but if you're glancing, shade 10 will work fine as long as you give your eyes about 10 minutes for every minute you look.

I know Sup Forums is a bunch of losers who hate their lives and don't care if they die

But please, for the love of god, do not view the solar eclipse with the naked eye. Don't look at it with anything less than shade 14 welding goggles.

A few *seconds* (I'm talking under 2 seconds) of unattenuated sun exposure to your eyes will fuck you up for the rest of your life, permanently, and there is no way to undo it and it cannot heal.

Seriously guys, please don't look at the sun. I can't stand to see people hurt themselves, especially unintentionally.

Shitty thing though, I actually only recently stumbled upon the eclipse info.. and where I am, everything is sold out or not available... so i'm kinda fucked now. We only have Welder's 10 here i think so idk about that.

Shade 10 is fine for glancing. Don't freak out. Its not like I'm telling people to use shade 5s now. And, let's be honest, if you are stupid enough to look at the sun without any eye protection, you deserve whatever you get.

user I have to protect the unwashed masses

At least you can still look. Just don't do it for that long and give time between glances, and you'll be fine.

I understand, no need for overprotection. Hell, I'm not even saying, "Yeah, wear shade 10 and stare for an hour." I may be a bit heartless, but I'm not that much of a sociopath.

Driving to SC, 1/8 of shrooms. Hope it doesnt rain

meh, i was thinking i was gonna, just cause everyone is talking about it constantly i guess, but now i'm kind of feeling like who really gives a shit ya know?

ive talked to someone whos seen one, they assured me its worth it, to witness full totality

You going to charleston m8?

lol and he even deleted it for dramatic effect

Lucky bastard. I have to drive 1000 miles.

Already?? Fuck, I can't go until this weekend.

I love that we've used this to control you mindless gentile cattle for thousands of years

Sup Forums is that way >>

>we

Is it really worth driving 4 hours, bros?

What are you running? I might be able to help out with a location.

if your life is boring as shit and you have absolutely nothing going on for you, probably

You're right, I'm a conspiracy hahaha

Doesn't matter now, I can say it openly in obscure places. You'll go to work just like the rest of the slaves

the apoceclipse will usher in the end of the world. i whale cum the end of the world.

Depends on how important seeing an Eclipse is for you. Total eclipses are pretty rare to witness and the next one going across the continental United States will be in seven years.

It's pretty much a once in a lifetime opportunity. If you don't give a shit, then it doesn't matter. If you're mildly curious what it's like, consider that it might be your only chance to see it with this much relative ease in travel.

>next one going across the continental United States will be in seven years
>It's pretty much a once in a lifetime opportunity

Most people in the US lives more than 7 years

>You'll go to work just like the rest of the slaves
I don't have a job
deal with that one, space nigger

When is this happening?

I feel like I saw one when I was a kid and don't even remember it

Must not have been that cool I guess

I said "pretty much". Just a couple chances which are seven years apart, one which is quickly approaching?

Also, it's long enough that you know you're not gonna wait that long if you actually care to see it, you'll do what you can to see it this time.

Gonna get to Carbondale on Sunday.

Fuck you and everyone like you for making traffic terrible on Monday.

That'd be the slowest UFO ever made

i feel the same way about it, it's normie shit, ya know?
like the average person who is all fucking pumped and and shitting their pants and driving hundreds of miles to see the eclipse can't even name the nearest star, and certainly wouldn't even begin to explain or even comprehend the principle of a light year
the same people who watch Game of Thrones and claim to be into fantasy are the people who are making a big fuckin' thing of the eclipse, and will then consider themselves "really into space stuff" or whatever the fuck they'll say at their normie bar next weekend

That depends.

Generally speaking if any given person has seen an eclipse before without conscious effort put into going to the path of totality, it was probably a partial eclipse and not a total eclipse. There's a big difference between partial eclipses and total eclipses, even when it comes to near-total eclipses.

But it's essentially two minutes of seemingly seeing night fall suddenly over the Earth and then go away just as suddenly. You can see the stars, birds go to sleep and crickets start chirping, the air gets colder, and you can safely look up at the sun and look at the corona.

I wouldn't call it "life-changing", but pictures and videos really don't do it justice in my opinion.

I live in Kansas City. Fuck everyone who is traveling in.

>can't even name the nearest star
That would be Sol.

But people who are really into space stuff will tend to be even more into the eclipses than the normies. In a way it's kind of cool that so many people who otherwise might not be interested can get excited about an astronomical event like this, in my opinion. But it's also a bit of a downside just because they fill up the hotels and cause a bunch of traffic that you wouldn't even notice if it was just the die-hard space freaks going to see it.

no i live in england

Have you seen one? When and where?

Considering I spend 80 percent of my life awake during nightfall, that doesn't sound too appealing

Touche, my friend, touche

thinking about it, so many fucking ppl are gonna be there though though so idek

I went to see the one in early 2016 in Hawaii.

Obvious troll is obvious

>it's kind of cool that so many people who otherwise might not be interested can get excited about an astronomical event like this
like i said, normie shit
that's literally the definition of normie shit, "grouping up and getting excited about something you would never get excited about as an individual"

That doesn't matter. You need currency. How does it feel to know that everyone you've ever met and all generations to follow belong to us?]

but yea, hey, i'm going full neckbeard here and belittlleing eclipse viewers
whatever guys, have fun at the eclipse watching party, have a drink for me

Oregon here, 93.7%. wondering if its worth driving an hour north to my mom's place to get 100%

Yes.

feels really bad, hence i called you a space nigger. come pick me up off this shit hole, i'll suck your big throbbing lizard dick and you can steal one of my kidneys. tired of living among these dip shits and retards

It's really more about the change. It's pretty surreal, so is seeing the eclipsed sun with your naked eyes (which is safe during totality).

I recall dreams I had as a kid where strange, frightening astronomical events occurred in the sky and there was this feeling of awe and dread. They were more like nightmares, but it also left a somewhat positive impression on me as well. The solar eclipse is something I understood so it wasn't scary, but it reminded me of those dreams and I got chills down my spine.

But it's hard to recommend traveling to see it with shitty traffic and booked accommodations. It's worth it to me, but that's because it's something I care about enough. I think some people would find it just as chilling as I did, but ultimately find the experience underwhelming because it's so short and followed by a long trip back home.

Anybody else live in the totality zone? People are treating the event like a state of emergency.

Probably, since you don't have to travel nearly as much as people all over the US. And you don't have to pay to stay there like a hotel or campsite.

>ultimately find the experience underwhelming because it's so short and followed by a long trip back home
So it's like sex?

>being too hipster to watch an eclipse
thats just sa, user

the eclipse is reddit as fuck

>>>/reddit/

It is kind of, since people who might not even really know what's going on are likely to start looking at the eclipsing sun when it happens, which could ruin their eyes. They need to be aware and take precautions.

I live in Kansas City and live in Leavenworth and yes they're acting the same way here.

youtube.com/watch?v=K42UqWGdA_o
This guy's definitely having a bit of a premature.

It's more about being unprepared to accommodate the amount of people coming to see it. News is constantly telling me to stock up on gas and water.

Yeah, it could be an issue, especially for the small towns that are closer to the longest duration of totality.

It doesn't work that way, it goes by bloodline. I'm breaking rules even talking openly but sometimes I can't help it. Look at how stupid we've educated them all to be hahaha

Enjoy getting stuck in traffic

See you in Astana.

yes

in idaho

I have work that day, so it would suck to get stuck in traffic up there. Isn't 93.7% just as good? I don't really know what to expect. Also, it's supposed to be cloudy that day in Oregon.

Alright.. stopping now :)

Even 99% is not the same as totality. The sun is just so fucking bright that even 99.9% is still not the same.

If the weather permits, go.

>Isn't 93.7% just as good?
Anything below 100% is not the same. Only when it completely blocks the sunlight is the experience of a total solar eclipse realized. But it'll be a very good partial eclipse.