What are your favorite movies of 2016 so far, Sup Forums?

What are your favorite movies of 2016 so far, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt2342266/
indiewire.com/2015/07/fantasia-exclusive-danger-is-coming-in-clip-from-orion-starring-lily-cole-and-david-arquette-261644/
shorelineentertainment.com/movies/Orion.html
uploadfiles
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You have shit taste by the way

Didn't like any of your picks, though I haven't see Cafe Society, Lo & Behold & Sully yet.

Sully's got some good reviews.

4/8
Cosmos was god tier

I only watched Deadpool, Hail Caesar and Civil War.

So, Hail Caesar, of course, tho it must be Coen's 15th best

>Cosmos was god tier
I know right. It hasn't really gotten the praise it deserves!

the neon demon is better than any of those

I bet you haven't seen any of them
Yeah, do you like Benning? Cause Homo sapiens
Also have you seen Behemoth
And rip angel Chantal :(

i'll come clean. i've seen 2

Someone compared HS to Benning in a review, but I haven't seen any of his work yet. I don't think public trackers have his work.. last time I checked anyways.

If you have Benning's work and have time to upload your choice to mega or similar I'd appreciate it.

>Behemoth
I think it's on my watchlist, haven't seen it drop to publics or I have missed it maybe. brb checking

>Chantal
I admit I was a cheap faggot taht only watched her films after she died and read a few threads and news about how good she was. Lovely film maker.

>and
was suppose to be 'after I read a few threads and news about her and how good she was as a director' but my caffeine is spiking me, sorry.

I don't really like Refn, but Goose is a great actor.

imo, most of them were mediocre
Neon Demon was the best so far

His new works (digital) which are compared to Homo sapiens, are (a lot) on YouTube on HD, but I saw most of them at the cinema to be honest, I can't compare
I'll give you some links and I think I have some in my computer but I'm on mobile rn

Behemoth I think you'll like because you liked that joe film, incredible cultures and spiritualism

Let me check for those YouTube links man

I can find them if they're in Youtube, just never.. bothered to try YT. Yeah I'm excited to see Behemoth and actually jealous that there's a cinema showing stuff like Benning, out there.

Got MUBI?

Yeah this year has been pretty crappy so far. I bet the fall/winter movies will be better as usual.

I knew you when?

Yeah.

Terra?

This list is mostly crappy because it has a strict 2016 release definition and I don't really live near any big cities.

And Behemoth certainly isn't in public trackers that I know of. Gonna have to wait lil longer.

Most fun I've had watching a movie since I was a kid desu

Lel
Hey have you heard about this ?
imdb.com/title/tt2342266/
Looks interesting

Also tell me if you want to see a particular Benning
Anyway I'll post some links on your mubi

I just requested someone to search for that film in the other chan, lel - guess you saw that too? I watched some clips of it

indiewire.com/2015/07/fantasia-exclusive-danger-is-coming-in-clip-from-orion-starring-lily-cole-and-david-arquette-261644/

shorelineentertainment.com/movies/Orion.html

and it looks so very interesting, just like Redland.

As for Benning - whatever you see as a good starting point for him is fine.

Hell or High Water
Star Trek: Beyond
Kubo's Epic Yarn
Zootopia
There were a few other goodies, cant remember them off hand, though.

It was going to be Light between Oceans but that plot just destroyed the amazing first act.

Is there any other recent movies you guys would recommend?

Where's the drop off in quality, OP?

I'd say after Sully. There isn't a solid MOTY yet, so I wouldn't get you hopes up too high. Not to say the fist four are bad

These are some weird coincidences lol
I think you should start with landscape suicide, then RR, One way oogie woogie or California
All on YouTube, if you really like his work, amazon and re:voir sell some of it

See you around. i don't have skype but if you have steam i could add you?

man, i desperately need to watch Homo Sapiens and Cosmos. i've also slept on Embrace the Serpent when it played in my local arthouse. my ex wanted to see the Where to Invade Next doc.

Only decent films in that pic are Don't Breathe and Neon Demon and as I said they're only decent at best.

Here is a link to HS I uploaded couple days ago: uploadfiles dot io/99514

Hope you have fun. It was my second Geyrhalter film after Pripyat and I liked it a lot.

Great, GREAT sound design so I hope you have nice set of cans

>my ex wanted to [not see Embrace the Serpent]
only fitting that she is now your ex

I haven't seen many films released this year. I really liked 10 Cloverfield Lane.

thanks, mate. i'll have to wait until i get home after work to download. since we're at it, do you have any other readily accessible recommendations? as in on Netflix so i can watch tonight? thanks again.

my top films of the year include:

High-Rise
The Witch
Knight of Cups
Eisenstein in Guanajuato (finally got around to it - not my fav Greenaway, but better than 81/2 Women)

Hail, Caesar! and The Nice Guys were fun but I wouldn't put them on any best of list, personally.

A prime example of why men should not be allowed to make films about women and/or the experience of being a woman. I knew going into this that I would hate it, but it far surpassed hatred and ventured into the realm of vehement disdain and disgust.

Most of the scathing reviews I've encountered on letterboxd have adamantly addressed the problematic nature of this film so I won't bother to waste any more of my time; but suffice to say, The Neon Demon further solidifies my aversion to everything that Nicolas Winding Refn creates. His affinity for vapidity and "style over substance" is not as intriguing as he seems to think. The fact he actually dedicated this film to his wife with a little heart ("For Liv

That review was delicious. The fact that feminists don't like the film is just one more reason why it's so great.

IDK what's in Netflix sorry.

OJ made in america maybe?

I don't have Steam my dude sorry
Hopefully mubi will bring back boards but I don't think so

Yeah, I didn't browse MUBI back then but I heard it had great forums that got deleted because they didn't want to hire moderators/wanted to rebrand themselves as arthouse Netflix.

Shame.

Criterion forums are all right I guess.

>2016

most of them are 2015

Though I don't entirely agree with the rankings, those are all pretty good choices.

Homo sapiens is you retard

i went by my country's cinema release dates

What's your criterion account?
Sup Forums 3x3 threads are nice too, and some zeraboards too sometimes

Don't Breath, Bloodfather, Hell or Highwater, The Witch, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Kabali, Neon Demon (i need to watch it again but I liked it when I was drunk) theres more but thats it off the top of my head.

I just made an account there, mostly just been lurking it for few weeks. Do you have one? I made one but I can't figure out a way to get my profile link.

3x3s have nice recs.

whats that "lo and behold about"? looks like monks ?

Herzog's "doc" on the internet

1. Swiss Army Man
2 Everybody Wants Some!!
3. The Wailing
4. The Witch
5. The Lobster (going by 2016 US release)
6. Green Room
7. Kubo and the Two Strings
8. Zero Days
9. Indignation
10. Hardcore Henry

I basically only watch movies when they get put on a streaming service.
Only movies I've seen at the cinema that I can remember are Don't Breathe, Lights Out, and The Shallows.

The scene in Shallows where the screen turns to red made my dick diamonds.

I actually found Hail, Caesar pretty boring. Maybe I missed out on the big picture but I don't see the hype

The VVitch

1. Zootopia
2. Captain America: Civil War
3. Kung Fu Panda 3
4. Deadpool
5. The Conjuring 2