/fmg/ (+ /swg/) = Film Production General

What are you working on? What inspired it?

>Useful Resources
learnaboutfilm.com/
nofilmschool.com/
youtube.com/user/filmriot
youtube.com/user/curtisjudd
youtube.com/user/everyframeapainting
filmmakingessays.tumblr.com/
imsdb.com/
screenwriting.info/

>Free Screenwriting Software
fountain.io/faq
story.adobe.com/
storywriter.amazon.com/
trelby.org/
writerduet.com/
celtx.com/

>Active Contests
screencraft.org/screenwriting-contests/
tblaunchpad.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

johnaugust.com/2016/scriptnotes-ep-264-the-one-with-the-agent-transcript
vimeo.com/131910069
youtube.com/watch?v=vgc1WXS21Vc
youtube.com/watch?v=xECVqm8he4g
youtube.com/watch?v=fAjKEgawVtE
distribber.com/
drive.google.com/open?id=0B6uwaxNQt5HRenFSYXdQWTRQdDA
vimeo.com/179203602
studios.amazon.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=78jMP1YTFjo
dropbox.com/paper
youtube.com/watch?v=XDXgXQFEF3M
itunes.apple.com/app/dropbox-paper/id1126623662
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dropbox.paper
discord.gg/Yg2ym
youtube.com/watch?v=ycfdfinG_P8
youtube.com/watch?v=hXDNGS9V4Us
youtube.com/watch?v=m4DyTjrruVo
youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
youtube.com/watch?v=JLUjMWRCzic
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>What are you working on?
a blatant Tarantino rip-off
>What inspired it?
it just came to me

How good of a film city is Austin?

Still working on that synopsis for the fundingprogram. Got the synopsis now heading for the supplement tekst.

My friend and I are working on a spy film about virtual reality.
The practical effects of Brazil inspire the direction i'm taking. Practical sets are neccessary for the picture. We only have the budget for a short film(diminishing 300k) but I know what I want and that will certainly help.

I'm developing an independent sci-fi series and I'm considering releasing it on internet streaming services such as pic related. Does that sound like a good idea or do you think it's a bad idea?

Honestly, I think it's not such a bad idea. You have a much better chance at finding success as a web series than you would trying to sell it to a network and getting rejected. Also, cable TV is dying and the internet is going to replace it, so by doing this you'll be getting a head start at the future of serial distribution.

Its not as easy as just deciding youre going to release it netflix or amazon and doing it, you have to do a deal with them, which is like any TV deal and requires you to have people who know what they're doing.

But theres always Youtube. A good idea is to convert you series into a series of shorts. Either in line with the series storyline or based in that universe and trying to get some attention that way.

Guys what do you like to see in your tv shows?
Trying to make it different and stand out, any suggestions? It's a black comedy.

Have written a ten page short where 80% of the dialogue is "blah blah blah" because I can't figure out what they should be saying

What makes you laugh in black comedies?

>Guys what do you like to see in your tv shows?

Less black people.

Boobs

johnaugust.com/2016/scriptnotes-ep-264-the-one-with-the-agent-transcript

Found this from Rian Johnson's Twitter. From John August's podcast (a Hollywood screenwriter, although he hasn't had a screen credit in a while; worked on a lot of Tim Burton's movies from the 00s; helped develop Fountain and commissioned Courier Prime).

August talks with an agent about how job, how he gets clients, etc.

A lot of what I figured was true ends up being exactly true. (e.g. log lines are bullshit and shouldn't be fretted over; you can basically only get an agent by already knowing somebody whose opinion matters; etc.)

Did you do this on purpose?
Its a fine idea, if you can get them to sign you.
If you start in the way suggests and it has a following then thats one more reason for them to make a deal with you.

>a blatant Tarantino rip-off
Well hey at least you're aware of it. When I started out I just wrote and it turned out Tarantino had already done everything I wanted to do better.

Thank goodness I'm not a die-hard Tarantino fan.

I love John August. I don't think I can ever thank him enough for Fountain. Being able to write scripts in text editors like Sublime Text and Atom is love. :)

Fair play

I'm reshooting my opening scene to curb comparisons to Tarantino (hopefully)

cyberpunk

When are you reshooting and can we see the original version.
This is the way of the future. One telecom company in my company started their own streaming service and they are giving a lot of young people a chance.

The one thing I want in a tv show is that it ends after 1 season. Not that its impossible to stay interesting after multiple seasons but I want a conclusion. I want a statement from the makers.

Im stil going through my contact looking for a spellchecker for my tomorrow deadline. My dyslexia is terrible.

Anyways some old/recent stuff.
vimeo.com/131910069
pass: empty

youtube.com/watch?v=vgc1WXS21Vc

youtube.com/watch?v=xECVqm8he4g

youtube.com/watch?v=fAjKEgawVtE

Test footage I shot yesterday, planning on shooting a little bit more tomorrow.

I have a very vague plan and a handful of shots I know I want to get but no actual script (it's dialogue-less save for a voiceover describing what happens after death).

Let me know what I need to work on, I want this to be the best it can possibly be. Keep in mind all I have is myself, my camera, a tripod, and some locations.

What about an aggregator distribution service like Distribber?

distribber.com/

Me and a buddy are both writing a short film. Would it be a good idea for me to write dialogue for his character, and vice-versa? At least for the first draft.

I tried that and it ended up sounding like shit. Partially because my buddy can't write dialogue to save his life and partially because we realized we were ripping off Pineapple Express beat for beat.

Take a look. We never ended up finishing it.
drive.google.com/open?id=0B6uwaxNQt5HRenFSYXdQWTRQdDA

I've no idea but I think its safe to say there probably aren't any worthwhile shortcuts and sending money to a website is probably a waste.

So this is like Tunecore, but for movies and shows instead of music? Not bad, not bad at all.

>When are you reshooting and can we see the original version.
In about 10 days
I would upload it, but the cast haven't even seen it yet so it'd be kinda unfair

bump

Does anyone do any YouTube stuff?
Was thinking of starting a channel that talks about writing and stuff.

If it's still gonna reshoot its part of the process its fine if others can feedback so you can take that with you reshoots.

my first advice would be to get more people involved. Atleast get someone to do the camera.

Im not sure what the voice over is going to fix but I don't want to see a single person walk in and out of frame the entire time. Are their any shots you can think of that might add some actual layers?

Hey Sup Forums, I'm working on a website that could potentially help filmmakers with relatively small budgets create more content, get higher budgets, and network with other people across the world. I have already developed some features that the site will offer including storyboarding and screenwriting software, all for free (no freemium format). I have also received suggestions on making a platform to sell screenplays.

This is a side project, btw, and I'm making the site just because I feel it would make my life easier as a filmmaker too. My question is, what features are you interested in? What would make your work easier? I already have the framework developed and am looking for ways to enhance the site. Any suggestions will be taken into account!

A page for film pitches

Like any producer could check it out and anyone could post a pitch. Limit pitches to only being allowed to have like 5 keywords for organisation.
The pages would have room for as much or as little as the filmmaker wanted to write. Space for photos too. And most importantly, on the page listing the pitches, it should say which pitches have a trailer/video attached.
It'd be like kickstarter, but not solely devoted for crowd-funding. And it would be tv/film-focused only. And you'd be able to click on the director/writer/actors and get their profiles with all their work up.

Speaking of which, make video embedding possible. This is a must. People don't want to upload videos to 50 different websites. If it's on youtube or vimeo in decent quality, let that be embedded on the site.

And I guess if the site grows and you get ambitious, allow jobs to be posted there. ie "looking for a male actor aged between 20 and 25, athletic build etc" and then actors on the site can click a button which submits their profile and a message or something.

You should probably start a blog of some sort on the site like nofilmschool to get people to check the site out initially while nothing's really happening

>my first advice would be to get more people involved. Atleast get someone to do the camera.
I getcha there, I don't have any friends with free time so it's kinda difficult.
>Are their any shots you can think of that might add some actual layers?

Nothing off the top of my head. There was a gag I was gonna do earlier on in the short where he walks past a TV playing the Dead Celebrities episode of South Park (fitting in line with the general theme of it, a dead man trying to fulfill his purpose so he can let go) but I felt like it'd be too complicated.

Also, I'm not sure if I can use licensed material. The In Bruges music was just temporary.

Excellent response, thank you! I have actually been working on developing user profiles that allow demo reels, vimeo/yt embedded content, and skills to be displayed in order to apply for posted jobs by simply clicking on an 'Apply' button. Jobs like making scores, voice over acting, acting, and subtitling teams for international users. I'm also working on allowing users to make casting calls from the site to attract other users interested in the job.

I would also love to create a continuously growing community of filmmakers that can share their work on the site and share their crowd funding projects as well.

The pitches page idea is a great (pardon the redundancy) pitch and I'll definitely see if I can implement that any time soon. Blogging is not really my thing but might certainly focus some traffic onto the site, thanks for the advice.

Thanks again user. If it can be thought of, it can be coded.

I think you need to look for other sources of layered depth. Right now its just a dude walking. The locations aren't interesting or allegorical enough. The shots are not nice enough to keep standing for a long time. Its comes down to a basic questions: Are you conveying to the audience all you want to convey by having a dude talk in and out of frame.

If I was your editor I would cut this already small piece to a max of 10 seconds.

latest short
two men who exist by eating only sand. one was disowned by his crab fisherman family after they discovered his fear of the ocean, the other married into money and murdered his wife during childbirth.

black comedy

vimeo.com/179203602

Ask technical questions here if you wish, i'm a cinematographer

Why are 90% of people on a film set allowed to work without understanding any of the technical stuff?
Why do 90% on people on film set have such pleb opinions and a lack of basic cinema knowledge to the point they wouldn't even know who Refn was?

whats the kelvin for tungsten

Refn is not worth knowing by any metric

what wonderful questions

Is it even possible to be a filmmaker in the US living outside of Los Angeles?

transcoding novice here. i assume the higher end cameras shoot in DNxHD and ProRes natively and don't need to be transcoded. that alone is worth the price of admission in my eyes.

how do you decide on a focal length for a shot? i eventually just end up going with whatever my gut tells me, even if i had previous plans.

not with that attitude

I'm working on a short film about a kid running a lemonade stand who ruthlessly goes after his competition. Sort of a comedy based around a child's version of capitalism. It's inspired partially by my own attempts at making money when I was around five to seven years old, when I lived below the poverty line. The fictional story will be middle-class suburb set, though.

i think its a dream mate
they dont just buy any nonsense
have you not seen the budgets their shows have?

>what are you working on
A parody of the "Superhero High School" where the main character is a piece of shit delinquent with seemingly nothing special about him except for a low level telekinetic, but actually has the power to destroy the universe, something only known to the headmaster, who also knows that he needs to survive until his late teenage years in order to stop another cosmic disaster, after which time she has to kill him to ensure that he won't ever use his power to its potential ever again.

She keeps this secret to everyone else,the opening episode recounts all of his bad, selfish and shitty behavior by several of the staff, who demand that he be expelled immediately because he's become a hazard to everyone's well being, which he politely denies, angering everyone.

>What inspired it
Reading stupid comic books and too much anime, desu

I don't think he/she was talking about having them fund the production, just using them to distribute the finished product.

Drive is a modern cult-classic serious film among a sea of cgi blockbusters and comedy films

Refn's definitely worth knowing. But that was only an example anyway. I could replace him PTA, Malick, Jaramusch, Nichols etc and it would be the same

No
Every us filmmaker ever has always lived in LA or moved to LA to become a filmmaker and there isn't a single, easily-googled, exception to that

yeah thats was my point
you cant just shoot a god damn series on your dslr and sell it to netflix/ amazon/ hulu/ etc
they put millions into their shows
they dont buy homemade scifi
be realistic
unless you have a large budget, some sort of name attached to it, an agent, have taken it on the festival circuit, have it look like it is professional, have actually worthwhile content (which is highly unlikely for another indie scifi project), etc, you arent going to get anywhere but vimeo AT THE MOST
start small, keep churning out content, and MAYBE you will get representation who will allow you to start small all over again until you are MAYBE given the reins to something half professional, and THEN you can MAYBE consider making something which those services would even entertain the idea of looking at
it isnt a good idea at all. its a waste of time
shoot for youtube or vimeo and submit to web series festivals

what the fuck do I do with finished scripts
>inb4 shoot them
can't, no equipment

I want to pitch a show to Adult Swim, how do I go about it? Can't find anything on their site.

festivals

take MDE as an example
they had no representation
they just pitched a show to adult swim
AS told them to upload content and prove there was interest
it took them 9 years

they dont just advertise on their site, you have to dig for contacts
its a massive company. its not an open door.

Submit it to Amazon Studios.

studios.amazon.com/

didn't know about this.
any more info? do you have experience with this?

dont do this unless you own the rites to your work
>In this Agreement, you grant us rights to display, use, modify and distribute Content on Amazon Studios.

SUBMIT TO FESTIVALS AND GET REPRESENTATION

how do I submit a script to a festival?

withoutabox
filmfreeway
and others
there are tons of festivals for scripts. sundance and other big names included.
just google it boyo. take some initiative

I'll look into it, thanks user

But what if you want to break into the mainstream?

start at the bottom just like everything else, jesus
you dont break through immediately with anything unless its ultra low budget and solid gold
even that isnt good enough now. maybe 15 years ago
work hard. itll take MINIMUM 5 years to get anywhere in this business
if youre a white straight christian man it will take much much longer
the industry stinks

haha
ha
oh wow
kek

Yeah, you have to know someone, work your ass off unappreciated for years or get really lucky
Pick your poison

finished this short very recently, first one of my that features original soundtrack

youtube.com/watch?v=78jMP1YTFjo

but what if you want a 12 inch dick and the powers of invisibility?
deluded

I don't know on what sets you're on but the ones i'm working on i try to pick my team from people i know or people that have been recommended to me. also the electrical team sticks to ligts, the grip team to grip gear and so on. and of course the director and such people are not allowed to touch shit. about opinions, too subjective can't answer.

you mean 3200K i suppose.

A combination of what feels right, what the phisical limitations are, what lenses i like and what the movie is. So for example the last thing i worked on was a comedy so we were always tending towards the 24-35mm area because we had multiple characters in the shot. I tend to loke wider lenses personally, so something like a 35 for closeups, 28 for mediums, 21 for wides (if yo have a standard lens set of course) i quite like, but there are times when you need to isolate a character from the environment and an 85 will be perfect. Other times you're shooting in a small room and you gotta use the wides just to get the shot, but ideally you don't want to end up in such situations

Story writing

>Highlander focus
>Main character's First Teacher is a foppy old dude, reminiscent of Ramirez
>Much later, it is revealed that this isn't Teacher's first Game
>Teacher is the victor of a previous Game
>Game is literally a Game that demi-gods watch for entertainment
>Victor is given a choice to join them, or "go another round"
>Teach opted to go for round 2 (or 3 even)
>Just likes head hunting, I guess.

youre not a cinematographer mate
determining a focal length is an exact science, not 'i like wider lenses'
its math
fraud

Not him but this entire post is bullshit

Still looking to do a zero budget movie, deciding between a supernatural dark comedy set in a cottage or a post-apcoalyptic road trip. Throwing a few ideas and seeing what sticks.

Im leaning towards the latter because I live in Ireland and can film mostly on backroads with beautiful landscapes.

But Amazon Studios productions get nice financial backing.

i don't know what youmre talkin bout and also i don't think you get the guy who asked's question

What is the best platform with collaborative functionality for writing synopses, character backgrounds, outlines, etc?

Have you heard of Dropbox Paper?

dropbox.com/paper

youtube.com/watch?v=XDXgXQFEF3M

>iOS App
itunes.apple.com/app/dropbox-paper/id1126623662

>Android App
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dropbox.paper

Avid fucking blows, I have no idea why it's the industry standard. Adobe shit is so much more intuitive and user friendly, it's crazy.

Anyway, I have an old gh2 and a boom. I'm thinking about hitting up some local bands and seeing if they'll let me make a video for them or something. I don't know anybody that's into this shit so no connections. Really don't want to go to film school but might not have a choice.

>Avid fucking blows, I have no idea why it's the industry standard.

Old habits die hard. Basically, old guard editors feel at home with it and it's what they've been editing with for decades, so they see no reason to switch to an editing platform like Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro.

This is less of an issue with, for instance, YouTube/internet-based filmmakers are on average younger and more up-to-date than the Hollywood old guard, and you'll definitely see them using Adobe Premiere Pro and Final Cut Pro while Avid Media Composer is a rarity. As more of the old guard go into retirement and are increasingly replaced by these younger filmmakers, expect to see APP and FCP industry usage grow more and AMC usage simmer down.

I feel you with the zero budget thing by using your area to film. I like the road trip idea, would be very comfy to see Ireland. What are the two about?

I'm planning to do something similar by filming the whole thing on my cul-de-sac and old highschool. I want to make a movie using old 80s tropes but set it today. Basically a comfy teenage coming of age movie

Let's say I don't live in Southern California near Hollywood. Let's say I live in a Midwestern city. Where can I find a crew and cast for a short film?

Local highschool drama/film class

For the cast, there are plenty of talent agencies in the Midwest. Try searching there. You can also hold a casting call.

Cleveland is the broadway of the midwest. Theatre is pretty big in Cincinnati as well. Film industry is starting to boom in Cinci. Chicago has it all.

I'm exactly in Cincinnati. :)

>Film industry is starting to boom in Cinci.

Which sounds like great news. If this place can attract talent like Ryan Gosling, Cate Blanchett, Rooney Mara, Bruce Willis and Christoper Meloni, I'm pretty confident a lot of doors are opening for this place.

There's lots of smaller casting and production companies that you can try to work for. I know and have worked with the woman who did the local casting for Shawshank as well as pretty much every other major movie in Cinci for the past 3 decades. Lots of the theatre actors work in film too, I study theatre so I know lots of the pros who have been in decent roles in bigger movies. What part of Cinci do you live in?

I thought about this for a bit, and you're right. Haven't really set up the main conflict at all.

I figured the Sundance Ignite people would try and read into that shit but that's being a bit stereotypical.

>tfw Indiana
This is the best news I've heard in a while. I liked Cleveland from the one time I was there (for an audition for The Voice) and I'd be happy to check it out again.

I honestly don't know much about film in Cleveland, but I have friends who do pretty well in theatre there.

Discord right here.
discord.gg/Yg2ym

Working on a story is prefer as a miniseries.

Small town tale involving conspiracy to pollute the water stream with a hallucinogen. Some in the town are plants for the group behind the pollution and a deserter races to the town trying to warn others and liaise with a small group of 'resistance' while being gases by seedy and shadowy pursuers.

The main story happens around the main characters of the town who are drawn into it all inadvertently.I'm seeing it as a four parter but you never know.

I got the idea after two dreams, one where I was at a party and the water in the punch was laced and everyone started going insane and hallucinated crazy things, myself included.the other dream in the same place I was being tailed by a dark mysterious car in fog.

I want to see this.

so how the fuck is anybody supposed to get noticed in this cancerous industry?

I want to start a youtube channel of video essays on different film shit. should I start?

Nah

What's the harm?

A boy falls in love with a girl.

Unable to confess, he is gifted by a deus ex machina with the girl's phone number. Never minding the strange area code, he immediately calls her, and is overjoyed to find out that she has a crush on him as well.

But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day's confessions to the girl, she only looks at him with a perplexed expression. After some investigation, he finds out that the girl he called is not the same girl he fell in love with. In fact, she doesn't exist in this universe at all. She is the girl's alternate universe counterpart, who has fallen in love with the MC's own AU self, who too is blissfully unaware of her crush.

Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of LOVE.

OP: youtube.com/watch?v=ycfdfinG_P8
ED1: youtube.com/watch?v=hXDNGS9V4Us
ED2: youtube.com/watch?v=m4DyTjrruVo
PV: youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
EP 1: youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
EP 13: youtube.com/watch?v=JLUjMWRCzic

yeah

Where should I start? What would you want to watch in a film based video essay?

analysis of cinematography

director spotlights

cinematographer spotlights

bump it up