Memes aside, is baseball dying?

Memes aside, is baseball dying?

Other urls found in this thread:

huffingtonpost.com/laura-hanby-hudgens/the-decline-of-baseball-a_b_9630782.html
pennlive.com/opinion/2016/07/is_baseball_dying_i_dont_think.html
thesportster.com/baseball/top-15-reasons-baseball-is-dying/
forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2014/10/08/baseball-is-dying-dont-be-stupid/
forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2016/11/03/baseball-is-dying-tv-ratings-for-2016-world-series-through-the-roof/
salon.com/2016/03/31/how_baseball_got_so_lame_the_national_pastime_is_so_white_and_so_dreary_and_is_still_a_money_machine/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Not yet dying, but aging quite rapidly.

No

nope

Not really. Luckily for baseball, Cubans/Dominicans/Boricuas are all having kids at a fairly high rate. Baseball will not die, but for better or worse you will being seeing more guys named Ochoa/Gomez/Ortiz/Rodriguez and few Johnsons/Jacksons/Joneses in the future.

not really

huffingtonpost.com/laura-hanby-hudgens/the-decline-of-baseball-a_b_9630782.html

pennlive.com/opinion/2016/07/is_baseball_dying_i_dont_think.html

thesportster.com/baseball/top-15-reasons-baseball-is-dying/

forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2014/10/08/baseball-is-dying-dont-be-stupid/

forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2016/11/03/baseball-is-dying-tv-ratings-for-2016-world-series-through-the-roof/ (same author as above, two years later)

salon.com/2016/03/31/how_baseball_got_so_lame_the_national_pastime_is_so_white_and_so_dreary_and_is_still_a_money_machine/

>salon

How can baseball continue to appeal to white kids?

football is literally dying

The entire demographic of American youth baseball players are white. They're the only group that can afford to play in rec leagues at a young enough age to hone their skills

by not being played by douchebags

No

Attendance and minor league games are fucking booming. There are just too many games so people typically only follow their local team and they dont watch nationally broadcasted shit

I thought little league was cheap as fuck compared to hockey

Hopefully

Look at how much the Marlins have appreciated.

Absolutely not.

>NFL becoming the most DROPPED sport out there
>NBA is about super teams and boring now
>NHL is already the least popular of the major 4

Baseball is kind of just there. Like its not hurting anyone. Not thriving. It has phased past the steroid era, and recovered nicely. Great profits. Great attendance. Some shit ownership like Marlins and Rays, but as a whole its doing great. I think every team has an all star, and thats great for the league. Not like the browns or nets have anyone to market around.

imho once the rest of America realises just how morally questionable it is to support young guys getting CTE, NFL will be knocked off its perch by either baseball or basketball (most likely basketball)

It's America's /comfy/ pastime

You still have to provide bats, gloves, and cleats for your kids. Not to mention league dues. Helmets are provided.

Every major American sport has a major red flag that is really affecting either its present or future

Football: Kills its players early

Baseball: Way way too many games. For christ sakes why do they need to play 5 games a week for 6 months. Plus a lot of standing around. Just boring

Basketball: Nature of the sport being 5v5 means that you will not be successful unless you have a superstar, but having a superstar doesnt necessarily mean you will be great, so players just team up because they are all friends

Hockey: Restricted to only cold weather cities

Soccer; Decades behind every other sport

The MLB needs to market its players better. Trout should really be a household name.

The sport itself is fine.

>compared to hockey

What team sport other than polo isn't?

This. Why the fuck don't any of the MLB clubs try to make their stars household names?

I heard it through the grapevine that Lacrosse was pretty expensive. is it true?

This. Same problem with the NBA. Way too many games to give a shit about. I only tune in right when the season is about to end.

TELL THE TRUTH

I've never understood the appeal of baseball
Why do you americans like it so much?

Fuck off commie
Baseball is the best, because it's a chill 3+ hours away from your shit family

>Fuck off commie
Calling me a commie is like calling every american a nigger
>chill 3+ hours away from your shit family
Not everyone has a shit family

Krokodil addicted pidorashka wouldn't understand.

baseball is lucky its the only sport played in the summer so if you wanna watch something its the only thing you can go to

It's declining for white people

Asians, islanders and spanish people are taking the sport as a whole.

The World Series pulls in record numbers every year but I still agree with sports pundits that the regular season is just too fucking long.

If someone paid you a reasonable salary to sit through every single baseball game a sports team played would you honestly do it?

Thankfully, Krokodil addicted pidorashkas don't post on Sup Forums

What's your excuse then?

In all seriousness though, my family's great, I just love going to 30+ brewers games every year, it's basically my hobby and a way to reconnect with tons of people - I have tickets to about 30 games a year, and I just invite my friends from work/school (current plus old friends), and everyone loves it because it's a a relaxing, enjoyable time.

In Milwaukee, you show up 90 minutes before the game, grill meat and drink beer in the parking lot, get hammered, then reconnect with someone you haven't seen in 6 months. That is the attraction of baseball to me. Plus I follow the team closely and track every player move the make, it's fascinating to me. I'm probably one of the only 28yr olds who still feels that way, but I love it.

>What's your excuse then?
What are you talking about?

I don't know if it's dying, but it sure is boring. They should have to throw a pitch every 10-15 seconds or something and then I'd watch it.

Would you still go to baseball games if none of your friends were interested in it?

last part : yeah

NBA has never not been about super teams.

Yes, but probably 15 every year instead of 30 if I had to go alone. In general, since they play nearly every day, I like putting the game on television when I get home and half-paying attention. There's no other sport like it, where they play every single day and you don't have to watch everything to still be a huge fan.

That reminds me of another thing I love about it. It's about the only sport where teams work out issues while playing rather than during practice. They hardly practice, they just play every day, which means they experiment during every game, which I think is really cool.

Baseball is awesome, best sport

Hmmm
Ok, now I understand where you're coming from
Thanks for explaining the appeal of baseball to me

Baseball is like the golf of contact sports

It's boring as all fuck on a normal day but it's playoffs are GOAT

Yep - to sum up
1. I'm much more into baseball since I moved to Wisconsin because it's a relatively cheap way to get drunk and have a good evening, especially if you're a season ticket holder like me

2. If you grew up playing it, and know most of the current players, there are tons of aspects of every pitch that are fascinating

3. Playoff baseball is more tense than any other sport. Playoff baseball is GOAT.

Baseball has no clock. That's why it's great.

I use to hate baseball. Couldn't grasp how people could watch this shit on tv or IRL. Then I actually went to a game and really enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and the swaying tensions that come with watching a game.

I've been growing to appreciate baseball more and more since the league and its players are generally less outspoken about their political opinions compared to (((NFL))) and ((((((NBA)))))))

I would imagine a lot of people are looking to baseball for similar reasons.

Image a nice warm summer day, sitting in the sun or shade with your friends or fellow fans, drinking beer and eating bar food.

This relaxing atmosphere is punctuated with moments of anticipation (waiting for the pitch) and excitement (something actually happens).

As the weather gets colder, more teams die off from championship contention. The conflict continues until one team survives. A metaphor for life.

The best part is that less niggers are playing the game, unfortunately they are being replaced with spics and chinks.

>people getting tired of uneducated man-children, earning millions of dollars, talking down to them about politics

>yfw this was Bud Selig's master plan and why he didn't rely on manufacturing superstars like the NBA does

Just like with Internet streaming, MLB will be way ahead of the curve...

>the best part about the sport has nothing to do with the actual sport

I used to think this and get sad, but now it seems to be booming. All across the world too. Australia has had some major league talent even. Now that it's back in the olympics and WBSC has formed and seems to have its shot together, a lot of countries are picking it up.

nobody pays me, and I still do

>the atmosphere in and around the stadium is not part of the sport's experience

Indirectly, yes. The sport is my favorite part about it, but the experience is good enough that people who don't care about baseball like it too.

>golf
>playoffs

The most recent World Series was the best thing to happen to baseball in years, so no.

How is it compared to football though?

>unfortunately they are being replaced with spics and chinks.

does this legitimately upset you?

2004:
>Red Sox break the curse of the bambino after coming back against the Yanks down 3-0 in the series

2016:
>Cubs snap the curse of the goat, coming back in the WS down 3-1.

In a 12 year span we have gotten to see two of the most storied baseball curses be broken in dramatic fashion.

We live in a great time to be baseball fans.

Although they weren't curses, we also got to see the Giants and Royals break long streaks without a world series

Also
>rags

>he's never seen a golf playoff

Missing out big time senpai

>forgetting the black sox curse being broken in 2005

>australia
KEK, the ABL is about to go bankrupt. I'd be surprised if it isn't wound down by 2020.

Who?

It's the most A E S T H E T I C sport to attend.

Where did I say anything about the ABL? Travis Blackley amd Grant Balfour still made it to the big leagues.

Not him, but AFAIK we've got no one in the MLB anymore and the ABL is on the ropes because Melbourne and Sydney are fair weather cunts with no fans and ballparks in the middle of nowhere (to the chagrin of Adelaide and Perth fans who actually get out and support their team in the four figures), so RIP Aussie baseball I guess

They remind him of his wife's weekend antics

By being the only sport they can play professionally alongside hockey.

yes dying a slow death with white america in hand. to bad that their spics support mexican teams and don't care for sterile mls

Fortune says: Baseball is wrong. Man with three balls cannot walk.

Or because no one fucking knows the competition exists or doesn't give a fuck about it.
t. live in Perth and discovered it existed thanks to this post

Minor League Baseball is comfy as fuck.

>If someone paid you a reasonable salary to sit through every single baseball game a sports team played would you honestly do it?
Without a doubt

I think baseball will be alright. Sports with less concussion risk are going to start getting kids that would've been playing football or hockey (in the north) 20 years ago, when nobody knew how dangerous concussions are.

>hockey
>restricted to cold weather cities
I didn't know LA, Tampa Bay, and San Jose were cold weather cities

You know, when I was in college there was this massive Braves fan on my hall. He often had coupons to go to the game for a couple dollars, so a few of us went to a couple games with him. At Turner Field, there are multiple arcades, restaurants, and bars. One of us once asked the Braves fan, "Why are there so many arcade games in here?" and the guy responded, completely seriously and with no irony, "You've got to have something to do for nine innings."

That being said I enjoyed going to the games, it was a lot of fun. And the largest collection of hot women in Georgia is Turner Field on gameday.

In canada speaking to other people is only done when recruiting a bull to fuck your wife. Hence our love of the raptors jn current year

This is true. It's a shame that Turner Field is in the ghetto with literally nothing around it except parking lots and Swinging Richards. Braves games are super fun though early and late in the season. I can't stand the dog days heat and humidity there though. I just moved from metro-Atlanta, and the only thing I'll miss about that cesspool is that both the Braves AND the Falcons are getting new stadiums next season. The new Braves stadium is WAY closer to where I used to live as well, which pisses me off. Also there will be lots of places around the stadium to drink and get food before and after games instead of just hoping you won't get hassled or mugged at Turner, depending on where you parked.

The women at Braves games are legitimately the best looking women you will find at a pro sports game. Dear lord, it's like walking into the Playboy Mansion.

You a GSU fag? Tech? I went to KSU, but grew up around Roswell. I'm so excited for the season to start. Baseball is so comfy.

>our love
Who? The people who unironically call Toronto the 6ixx maybe or whatever it is now. The GTA is not the rest of Ontario. The Leafs are still the Leafs but capitalize on having a huge market to appeal to. And even then I know a ton of Bruins and Montreal fans. Watching the same Raptors "fans" bandwagon the Jays was hilarious because they came with that same shit attitude of WE THE 6IX TORONTO VS EVERYBODY bullshit. When the Leafs are in the playoffs they'll magically show up at games too with the same bullshit. Then we'll get articles about how white hockey is and how it needs to be appeal to the CURRENT YEAR demographics.

I actually went to NGCSU up in Dahlonega. Been living in Alpharetta since I graduated. Dude I'm so excited for the new stadium to go up. It'll be so nice to be able to go to the games without the fucking parking lot attendents of all people trying to shake you down for a few extra dollars. The new Falcons stadium is going to be amazing too. I don't know if construction was underway brekkie you left, but seeing it in person is a whole different animal from seeing pictures. I try to go by it every time I get the chance kek.

> mfw college night at Turner Field

I was able to see the preliminary construction, but have been here about 7 months now, so I didn't get a really good feel for how it'd actually look. That's cool, I have a military buddy who went to North Georgia as well. Dahlonega isn't a bad town. I'd love being that close to the National Forests and camping and stuff. I have a buncha buddies who live around Alpharetta as well. That area is fucking booming.

But yea, the new Braves stadium is what I'll miss most because of how it's farther north and I love Braves games in general. I quit going to Falcons games years ago because the fans suck and some black dude talking on his bluetooth would bug me to sit down during 3rd down D or some shit. Got sick of all the nigs just goin there as a status thing instead of paying attention to the game. Although with the recent success of the Falcons, maybe that's changed. I still would have gone to a few games just to check out the Benz Dome either way though. Nothin' better than some buddies tailgating and wandering into a Braves game checkin' out girls and bullshitting while kickin' back during a game. Fuck... We have some minor league ball here, I have a serious itch to watch baseball now. Gonna have to buy a ticket package this season.

Because it's literally the most perfectly designed game. There is no cheap bullshit in baseball, no clock to run out. 27 outs, the other team gets just as many chances as yours does to win.
The dimensions are perfectly measured to make the game tense, if the base paths were a foot longer you'd see way more outs, if they were a foot closer, you'd see less.
It's the only game where the defense has possession of the ball.
It's the comfiest game, you can put a baseball game on and not have to give it 100% of your focus. Trips to the ballpark are generally relaxing, only when you have hardcore rivalries (Yankees vs Red Sox, Dodgers vs Giants) do fans start acting like dicks.
It's a game that hasn't really changed (forward pass, inclusion of 3 point shot) for over a hundred years so every player is measured against every player that has ever played.
Statistics have been well tracked for those hundred years, so it's easy to understand accomplishments.
It has the best overtime rules of any sport. Just keep playing until there is a winner. Simple, but doesn't lead to any bullshit.
It looks simple to do but the skill set for baseball is so specific that not everyone can do it.
It's a game of tension, there is time between each pitch to build tension. The hitters study the pitchers, the pitchers study the hitters. Every pitch is a duel between two men, no teammates can help you out when you're in the batter's box (unless you're Jackie Robinson and are deep inside the pitcher's head).
Every player needs every other player on his team. You can't just have the best player in the league and expect to win anything. It's the ultimate team sport.
Baseball is king.

It's weird. I think of all the sports in the world, the one where you really have to be a certain nationality to "GET IT" is america with baseball. its a cultural thing

t. idiot