Boardwalk Empire

Has there ever been a better villian in television history?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=DJT3xZ9C5Ew

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/mXz3-QrvFSc
youtu.be/QS8lbfHUI3Q
youtu.be/pXAa6Lf2VFM
youtu.be/sTTv7V2JC2g
youtu.be/e-_2cReoqWM
youtu.be/fdQBYLO9ts0
youtube.com/watch?v=vw5pYWb-Ppc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

He was a fag

Yeah. Like he isn't even in the top ten. Is this b8?

Best on Boardwalk that's for sure.

shit villain of the week plotlines to replace the actual emotion and drama thst died with nucky and jimmys plotline which was literally the crux of the show

ERRYBODY GOT GUNS

>It's a 'teenybopper faggots from Sup Forums run their bitchy little mouths about a show they've clearly never watched' episode

Come on; give me something here. If you want to say 'Trinity' from Dexter or Phil Leotardo or fucking Jofferey you would still be wrong, but you would at least have an argument instead of just immediately outing yourself as a braindead contrarian shitposting little troll.

Isn't there a Batman thread or some shit you would be more comfortable in?

you're defending a meme character when the show was turning to shit. nobody cares

Christ, how thin is your background if mr "ANGRY AND IRRATIONAL FOR NO FUCKING REASON" is even in your top 50 villains?

Jimmy was a great character, but Dabney Coleman had one foot in the grave and supposedly Michael Pitt was a total cunt behind the scenes. Those factors contributed to one of the most genuinely surprising and emotionally devastating season finales I've ever seen.

Jimmy knew he was a dead man; that's why he went unarmed and without Richard. He died in a trench years back anyway.

I think a lot of people were so emotionally invested in Jimmy's character that just immediately tuned out after his death, which was ultimately their loss.

Bobby Canavale's portrayal of Gyp Rosetti is flawless. This guy owned every scene he was in, and in a show that could easily be argued was the best-acted show of the 21st century, if not television history. The guy just oozed equal amouts of charm and menace and of arrogance and self-doubt.

In the hands of a lesser actor, Gyp would have been Dean O'Banion stretched over a season. Instead, celluloid enthusiasts scores from now will still be lauding Gyp Rosetti as the best villian in television history.

youtu.be/mXz3-QrvFSc

Not even the best villain of the show, which would be Jimmy

Jimmyfag detected.

Person who forced themselves to like shit to prove "jimmyfags" wrong detected.

I don't think he's an amazing villain, but if you that's what you think the character boils down to, then you should rewatch the season.

Person who wants Jimmy's cock up their ass in denial about being a Jimmyfag detected.

something about his face makes me want to destroy it with a metal pipe

This honestly.

I watched the ship sink once, I'm good.

what are you even talking about? jimmy and nuckys relationship was the emotional crux of the show, with jimmy even becoming arguably the main character of the second season. nothing to do with the fact that he's attractive. once he died the show was directionless and tried to make up for it by having villain of the season arcs.

Was Jimmy's "mom" actually his mother? That gave birth to him?

youtu.be/QS8lbfHUI3Q

Fucking Doyle was such a pussy.

what really ruined the show was too much muh libyan and his bitch. not even a racial thing because I liked chalky but him crying over that stripper was retarded.

I think it was daring and interesting to have him killed off. The show may have become unsustainable afterwards, but it reached a satisfying conclusion.

Is there a story behind why the Irishman died? I felt like that was really out of nowhere, and he died in a pretty fucking gruesome way too. Especially for such a cool character, it was similarly heartbreaking to Jimmy's death

This is the reason why BE occupies 300 gbs and The Sopranos occupies 600gbs on my server drives. Can't ever not have them near me. GOAT shows.

Tell me about Gyp, why does he wear the hat ?

>YOU SHOT DEREK JETER!

What did Gyp mean by this?

they caught him before he could attack, I think someone ratted him out but I don't remember the full deal.

David Simon - Marlo Stanfield, The Wire
John Lithgo - Trinity Killer, Dexter
James Jamison - Vern Schillinger, Oz
William Davis - The Cigarette Smoking Man, The X-Files
Giancarlo Espositio - Gus Fring, Breaking Bad
Jack Gleeson - Joffrey Baratheon, GoT

I could go on. But I won't

Stannis was a better bad guy than Joffrey

>villain of the season arcs.

If you honestly don't see a vast difference between Rosetti and Narcisse, I can't help but think you're either trolling, didn't watch the show, or have limited intellect.

Jeffery Wright is a good actor, but to equate him as Narcisse with Bobby's portrayal of Rosetti as interchangeable 'villains of the seasons' is either uninformed or unintelligent.

Seasons four and five saw a drop in quality, but after three perfect seasons I think that's forgivable.

Oh, and watch this and tell me Gyp was just a one-dimensional antagonist.

youtu.be/pXAa6Lf2VFM

There's also the scene where he talks Joe Masseria out of killing him.

youtu.be/sTTv7V2JC2g

Posting these because even if only a few anons who didn't know about BE and Gyp get into it, it will be worth it. This shit board has opened my eyes to quite a few movies I didn't know about, so hopefully somebody digs these.

Getting to drunk to type. Someone post Richard Harrow and Jimmy scenes; I already won the Gyp argument so now we can move on thanks.

Gyp was charismatic and fun to watch but I don't think he's a really great character. Everything he did seemed obvious and 1 dimensional

Gyp was evil for devil's sake but the acting was tremendous

I wouldn't go so far as to call him one-dimensional at all. Maybe 75% of his scenes were similar in that he seemed like a powder keg that could go off at any moment, which added a great deal of tension over the course of the season.

But with a few scattered scenes, they did add depth to his character. At the beginning of S3 he was a small-time middleman for providing booze (via Nucky) to his little corner of NY and was barely respected by the higher ups in the Italian mob.

He set up his roadblock in Tabor Heights because he saw a chance to prove himself to Masseria among others, since Nucky had cut off his supply of liquor. He would've otherwise gone back to NYC with nothing. That scene with him and his family where he's kinda emasculated while trying to get ready for a meeting shows that all his bravado and toughness was kind of an act, even if he would make good on threats without hesitation.

Reminder that Owen was best character

nigger, you're letting your mancrush on Bobby Cannavale blind you to the fact narcise and rosetti were functionally identical throwaway stereotypes that existed only to give the season a sense of purpose.

Go watch blue jasmine and forget he had to get a start by playing a fucking cartoon caricature of prohibition mobsters.

Reddit the character, he's Brother Mouzone tier. Absolute cartoon character and the reason the show turned to shit

I loved Masseria. I only watched the first episode of season 5 but without him and AR I don't feel like watching the rest

>That scene with him and his family where he's kinda emasculated

Fuck that was painful. No wonder the guy turned out like he did.

I can also never figure out when Tonino says he's leaving, is Gyp's expression supposed to convey a threat or desperate pleading to not be left alone with those broads. Great scene. No wonder he fucked whores.

I don't really see "ambitious to a fault" and "tough guy is secretly weak" as any compelling character depth

Generally I think the measure of a good villain is how they compare to the protagonists. Every Sopranos villain played of Tony well and was used to see Tony differently. George Hearst was the only person who could stand up to Al Swearengen without openly stooping to his level. The CSM and Mulder are in a sense mirror versions of each other, one motivated by personal and the other wholly impersonal reasons.

The parallels between Gyp and Nucky are that one is collected, the other a nutjob; one a big fish in a small pond and the other a small fish in an ocean. There's nothing much too them. In fact, Nucky has no actual role in Gyp's downfall as I recall. He just exists for 13 episodes then doesn't, forced out of relevance by a side character he never met. In the grand scheme he's a waste of time

youtu.be/e-_2cReoqWM

>Think Jimmy was a faggot
>Really liked Richard

Anyone else?

>He just exists for 13 episodes then doesn't, forced out of relevance by a side character he never met

For the life of me, I'll never understand why people post about shit they never even watched. Watch the scene in the OP. That was episode 1, and their relationship only got worse from there.

Can you extrapolate a bit? That post makes no fucking sense at all.

>"Would..." shluurp.. "Would you fight for me?"

youtu.be/fdQBYLO9ts0

Goddamn. Imagine having a friend like that...

I was just going to mention George Hearst in Deadwood as a good villain

Was Arnold Rothstein the true villain?

AR was trying to crush the Italians in NY and the Irish in Jersey all at the same time. He goofed and got himself killed, but man, he got very close to unifying NY and NJ and becoming the true boss of all bosses.

>Rothstein
Yes.

>laughing tin man

>villians
>in the sopranos

... its funny how plebs are all over that show's knob yet don't seem to understand it at all

there are people who legitimately hated his character

The more I think about boardwalk empire, the more I realize all the characters were intensely weak and only the performances made anyone think otherwise.

But that was by design, as the show couldn't actually strengthen any character without changing history.

> Stannis was a bad guy
hola reditto

He was baiting. Nobody is that stupid.

>show about scumbag bandits and gangsters
>have a """villain"""
Whoa, what a good show. I'm totally buying this.

>The more I think about boardwalk empire, the more I realize all the characters were intensely weak
Kill yourself pleb fuck

>jimmy and nuckys relationship was the emotional crux of the show
Not really. It was just one part of his relationship with Gillian. You will realize this when you get older

>inb4 "villain"

I don't mean to sound cold, but a month from now, no-one will even remember this show

The show ended two years ago. Why would everyone suddenly forget about it in a month?

>not posting this version

youtube.com/watch?v=vw5pYWb-Ppc