Surrealist Cinema

What are the best movies or shows that are surreal by nature or have surreal elements?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1GFkN4deuZU
youtube.com/watch?v=YSY0TA-ttMA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Salvador Dali was such a hack lmao.

what an amazing contribution to this thread

Lynch

El Topo.

that is probably the stupidest drawing of all time it makes no sense at all and looks retarded as hell

The Cell

Natural Born Killers

This all the way

The Holy Mountain

DUDE LYNCH

>i don't get it so it's worthless

Shoo shoo pleb!

Bunuel
Lynch
That's it lol

la jetée

you're welcome

Tetsuo The Iron Man
Body horror with surrealist visual elements.

Sexy Beast

Rango

Southland Tales

>no Croneberg, Argento or Bava
gtfo

If you haven't seen le chien andalou you need to, it's 20 minutes long and more or less the basis of surrealist cinema

Un chien andalou excuse me

>Cronenberg
>Surreal

American education... #baka

I want you to know

SLICING UP EYEBALLS

WOAH HO HO HO

DUDE

you're trying too hard to fit in, please go back to red.dit.

GIGANTIC

Bunuel
Jodorowsky
Arrabal
Makavejev
Terayama
Paradjanov
Barney
Svankmajer
Deren

This amigo. So good.

>Svankmajer
I was looking into him today. I'm a big fan of Czech New Wave, would I enjoy his film? I watched Marketa Lazarova recently (which is Czech but not CNW), and I liked it as well.

The most surreal thing about this painting is seeing it irl and realizing how tiny it is. It's like a postcard

Jires was associated with the CNW and made Valerie and Her Week of Wonders
Most of Svankmajer's films were made later

Is wave of art film suppose to deal with strange or absurd things happening within the real world of the movie?

As far as right now I'd say Refn is doing great work

Lynch as always is great.

Jodorosky after that. Proceed from there.

If you are just starting I'd say start slowly with movies like fear and loathing in las vegas, Valhalla Rising or .Once you understand just jump into bunuel or Lynch.

Yep

Parajanov was NOT Surrealist.
He's poetic.

And Deren is more of the Avant-Garde sensibility than Surrealist.

>Parajanov was NOT Surrealist.
lol kiss my ass

>Hurr it's weird.
>MUST BE IT'S SURREALIST.

Color of Pomegranates is a series of motion tableaux of an actual biography, there is nothing "surreal" about the story, he just represents it in a poetical, stylized way.

Calling him surrealist you might as well call the artifice of all cinema and theater "surrealist", especially people like Wes Andersson simply because it doesn't resemble reality but has an uncanny feeling.

>he just represents it in a poetical, stylized way.
You can say that about Jodorowsky as well
Paradjanov is a Surrealist, look at him fly!

No way.
El Topo has a plot that could only exist in a dream: the whole rebirth, underground narrative. The hyper allegorical/archtypal gurus... like that shit only exists in a dream or a ritual art piece.

Pomegranates, like it all could have actually happened.

More to the point: Surrealism is a style, it's a vocabulary.
Parjanov came from a different cultural lineage, I'm sure he was aware of Ernst, of Dali, of Magritte... but I don't think that was what he was going for.

That is unless you think of surrealism as a simultaneously invented mode of art, that surrealism exists in all civilizations as a kind of archetypal way of expressing the unconscious in itself... THEN I'll agree with you and maybe I've been too literal and eurocentric in my interpretation of the word?

>Dance of Reality is a series of sketches of an actual autobiography, there is nothing "surreal" about the story, he just represents it in a poetical, stylized way.

which one are you referring to

I remember the first time I looked at ancient relics in a museum I was disjointed because they looked so average. Like they looked unvaluable. If I had come across it in a jungle I would've thought it to be just junk.

They look cooler in movies

The gunmen scenes are godtier.

No Jodorowski or Zulawski

fucking pleb

Pleb detected

1. No one spoke about Dance of Reality -- we're talking about El Topo. Changing goalposts... weak.
2. Half the 'Dance' film is a fiction, adapted from a novel by Jodorwosky
3. You can't compare Dance of Reality to the Color of Pomegranates anymore than you could compare Keatons the General to Abigail's Party just because they are both "kinda funny". They are two different styles, very different and can't be used as syllogisms.
4. The clip you included is clearly Brechtian more than anything.
5. Sarcasm and Greentext is not an argument, if anything it suggests to me you lack the capacity to form an argument or fearful of being challenged in your worldview.

neco z alenky

its a spin on alice in wonderland animated with stop motion, pretty cool

This guy is right. People DO think "wow, weird, so surreal", which is terribly wrong. The following mentioned ITT are NOT surreal: Argento, Bava, Refn, Cronenberg, and Parajanov.

youtube.com/watch?v=1GFkN4deuZU

>responding after 3 hours with an autistic list of points
Good job user!

youtube.com/watch?v=YSY0TA-ttMA

I'd recommend Shuji Terayama, his masterpiece is "Pastoral"