A refurbished Star Wars is on somewhere or everywhere. I have no intention of revisiting any galaxy...

>A refurbished Star Wars is on somewhere or everywhere. I have no intention of revisiting any galaxy. I shrivel inside each time it is mentioned. Twenty years ago, when the film was first shown, it had a freshness, also a sense of moral good and fun. Then I began to be uneasy at the influence it might be having. The bad penny first dropped in San Francisco when a sweet-faced boy of twelve told me proudly that he had seen Star Wars over a hundred times. His elegant mother nodded with approval. Looking into the boy’s eyes I thought I detected little star-shells of madness beginning to form and I guessed that one day they would explode.
>“I would love you to do something for me,” I said.
>“Anything! Anything!” the boy said rapturously.
>“You won’t like what I’m going to ask you to do,” I said.
>“Anything, sir, anything!”
>“Well,” I said, “do you think you could promise never to see Star Wars again?”
>He burst into tears. His mother drew himself up to an immense height. “What a dreadful thing to say to a child!” she barked, and dragged the poor kid away. Maybe she was right but I just hope the lad, now in his thirties, is not living in a fantasy world of secondhand, childish banalities.

What did he mean by this

Other urls found in this thread:

buzzfeed.com/chowdad/alec-guinness-hated-star-wars-and-i-should-know-20egr
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's no different from Harry Potter. In the the sense that it is pure fantasy as has very little artist merit. It's like comparing a drawing a mentally disabled kid did to a Picasso painting.

alpha as fuck

think it's all there user

buzzfeed.com/chowdad/alec-guinness-hated-star-wars-and-i-should-know-20egr

Angry old man who hated being only known for Star Wars which he thought was shit. Nothing to see here really, Star Wars was great and it's sad that he resented it so much and hated the fans.

>He burst into tears. His mother drew himself up to an immense height. “What a dreadful thing to say to a child!” she barked, and dragged the poor kid away. Maybe she was right but I just hope the lad, now in his thirties, is not living in a fantasy world of secondhand, childish banalities.

Thank God he never lived long enough to know what Reddit is.

To quote Tony Robbins: "Why would you watch the same movie twice? What are you a fucking loser?"

He seriously said that.

Gee I wonder if he ever repaid the sizeable amount of funds he was given for making Star Wars, or if instead like a smug pompous hypocrite he pocketed the cash. Because that would make a mockery of his already laughable comment, wouldn't it?

He understood the subversive and deadening effects of entertainment. He didn't have any power to stop it though.

He did nothing wrong

>be well respected actor
>star in cheesy space opera
>it overshadows everything else you've done and is all 99% of people remember you for

Haha what a fucking failure. I'm glad he's dead.

Well golly, aren't you angry that someone got more money than you did for playing pretend.

Not really. History has proven him correct. Why would he give money back? He got paid for a job and did it well. Kill yourself faggot.

>I sincerely hope that science and scientists differ from science fiction and its practitioners. Heaven help us if they don't: We may be headed for a very boring world indeed. Strip Star Wars of its often striking images and its high-falutin scientific jargon, and you get a story, characters, and dialogue of overwhelming banality, without even a "future" cast to them. Human beings, anthropoids, or robots, you could probably find them all, more or less like, that, in downtown Los Angeles today...

>O dull new world! We are treated to a galactic civil war, assorted heroes and villains, a princely maiden in distress, a splendid old man surviving from an extinct order of knights who possessed a mysterious power called "the Force," and it is all as exciting as last year's weather reports.... Why, even the most exciting fight is an old-fashioned duel, for all that the swords have laser beams for blades....

>Here it is all trite characterization and paltry verbiage... The one exception is Alec Guinness as the grand old man Ben Kenobi (Ben for the Hebrew ben, to make him sound Biblical and good; Kenobi probably from cannibis, i.e., hashish, for reasons you can probably guess.)...

>Still, Star Wars will do very nicely for those lucky enough to be children or unlucky enough never to have grown up.

He's not wrong, you know. Look at what became of the franchise, in the late 90's with the 'Special Edition' and into the 2000s with the horrendous prequels.

At least the intellectual property is out of George's hands now. TFW is the best Star Wars movie ever made.

Who is the this?

this is that the john simon

tfa was easily the worst of the main films.

Thanks

but Star Wars is Fantasy

>TFA
>best Star Wars flick
na, but it had its moments. I'll give it that.

which moments?

The ones from A New Hope.

McGuinness was a bitter crank who probably would've changed his mind on the movies and Lucas if he had lived to see the prequels, what with them being stylistically closer to something like Lawrence than the OT is.

I can't fault him for this. I really can't. With the advent of television the world he had grown up in was completely destroyed and he was probably frightened by the idea that so many children were wasting their youth obsessing over things like star wars instead of studying history, engaging in necessary physical activities, or putting serious thought into what they were going to do with their lives when they grew up.

Well, after being in Brdige on the river Kwai and Lawrence of Arabia I'd be pissed off my legacy is some silly space opera too.

Agreed. It's a shame so many people would respond to this with some remark about how much money he made.

Shit, just checked him and he was Marcus Aurelius in the Fall of the Roman Empire and he was in Doctor Zhivago too. GOAT actor.

yeah man, putting on blackface in lawrence of arabia was much better.

Did this old movie offend you?

That;s barely a tan you stupid nigger.

Here's that (You) you ordered.

Which is precisely why Lucas wanted him for star wars. He gave the film some serious credibility along with Peter Cushing.

I love the way he wore down the Japanese officer by insisting on rules and regulations because he knew they simply couldn't afford to just kill the British prisoners. It was basically a game of chicken and Guinness' character defeated him through endurance and determination.

No man, Peter Cushing was more of a classy B actor at the time, Alec Guiness was like Anthony Hopkins in the 90's. Peter Cushing did Holmes, Hammer Horror or Dr Who shit at the time, which were all great(mostly because of him, Lee or Vincent Price) but he was nowhere near the respected status Guinness at the time. If anything, Lucas chose him to get the B movie crowd.

I also love his realization that he's aiding the enemy at the end and that face he makes right then and there. Way to uplift a decent book to incredible status.

Because every 12 year old that grew up before TV was pure and innocent and better than everyone that came after, and the roads were paved with gold and nobody died ever except for those demented faggots and ugly niggers.

>I just hope the lad, now in his thirties, is not living in a fantasy world of secondhand, childish banalities.

wew lad

>tfw david "I suck buddhist cock" lynch didn't handpick them for Dune

What a fucking faggot

exactly how much star wars memorabelia do you have?

because I think you are just mad that you wasted your life on nothing more than a fun movie and he's right

And people didn't sit glued to a box watching spaceships fly around and men with colorful laser beam swords clack them together.

Nice strawman

He was preventing manchildren from being

People tend toward those things because life is awful for most. It was always awful for most, and people always distracted themselves in any way possible.

I had fun building it

Well it earned you a couple of (You)s so be proud of it.

>guy in genuinely concerned over a small boy wasting so much fucking time on a movie and not indulging in life
>probably wonders how much time he wasted watching star wars instead of going out playing, meeting friends, maybe just beginning to wonder about girls at his age

>buttblasted millennial Sup Forums NEETS say he was just bitter and grumpy because deep down they know he's right

thanks guys I havent been able to use this gif in awhile

inb4 buttblasted responses from the faggots that I come here to laugh at

You said it.

people tend toward those things because mommies and daddies would rather throw you in front of a box with moving pictures than take you outside and do shit with you

Then those parents wonder why their children walk around awkwardly and autistically quoting various movies and tv shows out of context and imitating the characters like they're constantly auditioning for a role, when they should be imitating mom or dad as figures they look up to and respect.

really makes you think

>Then those parents wonder why their children walk around awkwardly and autistically quoting various movie

pretty sure they dont wonder at all, thats why they let you faggots stay with them til your either 40 or kill yourself

they fucked up big time with those children and they know it

Wow, that was really interesting

>an adult who was essentially a puppet playing dress-up actually believed he was superior to people who paid to watch him play dress-up

He was right. Dont be butthurt Sup Forums

He got hired to act in a space movie and he performed his part as he would with any other movie, and got paid handsomely for it, so yes, I'd say he qualified as superior to the people who gave their money to watch him.

Seething with ragey this little star wars faggot lel

Does this logic make sense in your head? If anything you just make it sound like he's a genius manipulator duping idiots, since all he had to do was some short-lived, trivial task in order to live off royalties from manchildren forever. I mean wow, you're an idiot.

>His mother drew himself up to an immense height.
>himself up
>himself
No wonder the kid had problems.

>pretty sure they dont wonder at all, thats why they let you faggots stay with them til your either 40 or kill yourself
>accepting that your child is a failure no matter what you do

It's exactly that defeatist, cowardly attitude that makes these kids resent their parents

this. shouldn't have sold out for a paycheck if he didn't like the material

bitter nasty old fella. filled with regret and shame

He didn't dislike the material at first. He disliked how a lot of people became obsessed with it and wasted their lives over it. Through that he would grow to dislike the material.

>resent life because your a 30 year old neet and still with mommy and daddy
>no urge to go out and fix life yourself, no, its all mommy and daddys fault

lmao holy shit senpai

It isn't really defeatist though. Trying your hardest to raise a child only to discover that he has grown up to be a lazy fuck up is just realism. Defeatist would be if you raised your child with the constant mindset that he will probably be a fuck up when he grows up.

I'm surprised there's actually quality content from fucking Buzzfeed of all places.

That's how it is. You can't just magically grant yourself the confidence and motivation necessary to fix your life. If that were possible, literally no one would be a lazy fuck up. It's simple logic. You can't argue with that.

>replying to yourself

FYI I'm not talking about 30/40 year old NEETs, people like this should indeed kill themselves

But people who have just turned 18 or are in their very early 20s already being classed as 'failures' by their parents is pretty rough. I mean, what fucking 18 year old has their life together?

He needs to learn to not give a fuck like an adult.

But you need circumstances and attitude

If you were handed everything, you wouldn't grab it, you would let it land at your feet them complain that your mother and father never taught you to bend over and pick it up

It's comforting, believing that you deserve to have everything you need handed to you, and that one day it surely will happen.

But it won't, because nothing is taken without you squeezing your fingers around it and wrenching it away from whatever's holding it.

But that's too hard, maybe tomorrow.

I know it's hard to believe but we are not the same person.

Here's your (You)

You can watch movies with friends, retard.

What's there not to get? I seriously don't understand

>I saw Alec Guiness at a grocery store in San Francisco yesterday

You can watch movies with retard friends.

really makes you think