X-Men Apocalypse

This movie was bad even by Marvel standards. I expected nothing and I was still disappointed. I almost feel sorry for some of the actors in it. It felt like a made for TV movie. How can Marvel recover from this?

Other urls found in this thread:

marvel.wikia.com/wiki/En_Sabah_Nur_(Earth-616)#Powers_and_Abilities
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It was best cape movie of 2016...
Not saying good, but when you compare it with others then it's best.

Singers poison needs to be burned out of the Xmen franchise.

Too much cherrypicking of ideas to fit the story. Cyclops having nice tidy eye beams and teenage Jean phoenix. Apocalypse being some creepy manlet who talks like a sex offender. Gtfo with that shit.

I liked the mythology element.

I watched it yesterday and thought it was exactly OK.

not good, not terrible, not the worst of the x-men movies.

but I suppose if you go into movies actually hyped up THIS IS GONNA BE EPIC then I can see why you'd be disappointed.

>It was best cape movie of 2016

Stop with this meme, it wasn't even better than BvS.

That's Fox though?

The entire final fight looked like it was filmed in someone's backyard with terrible fences as green screen

>Fox Studios production
>Marvel Studios production

I went into this expecting it to be as good -if not better- than the last X-Men film. It was not.

I don't think you could actually instruct Jennifer Lawrence to look like she gives less of a shit, and the same goes for roughly half the cast.

Also the timeline's a fucking mess and Magneto must've killed roughly a billion people at the climax which Charles didn't seem too fussed about.

There's just too much to go into.

what exactly is Apocalype's super power?

whatever the plot calls for until he has to be summarily defeated by teamwork.

Is that supposed to be Jean in the background?

Is that Emma next to Xavier?

Why does Nightcrawler look like he stepped out of a My Chemical Romance music video?

As to Storm . . . does no one in Holywood know what a real mohawk looks like?

marvel.wikia.com/wiki/En_Sabah_Nur_(Earth-616)#Powers_and_Abilities

I'm guessing you haven't watched an X-Men movie since X3

I slept through First Class and spent most of Days of Future Past wishing I was watching a motion come instead.

* motion comic

That Wolverine scene was pretty hype even though it felt tacked on.

I cannot believe how cheap this film looked. Gid awful editing with more screams and yells than I can count on ten hands being cut off before the scream finished, absolutely terrible acting (Fassbinder channeling DMC1 Dante when his wife and kid die in one of the most hilarious death scenes in all of cinema), wolverine's fucking face when he's looking into those cheap ass cameras when he's wildin out in the base, that horrible line delivery by Hank when he jumps down near the end, all of jeans fucking line delivery. Then there's the cheap and sets, props and special effects. The sets look like sets, like from a middle school play. And another fucking quicksilver scene, except it may look worse than the first time they did it. Then there's Moira. Fucking what were they thinking?

This movie is a fucking mess. And I even liked first class (at least when I viewed it like 5 years ago), so imagine how bad this must be for me to say all this.

>hey guise i promise ur kid will be safe with me lol
>literally 2 days after the school gets blown up (which happens all the time)
>secret government operatives attack the facility
>lead the teenagers placed in your care to fight a genocidal demigod
>after they miraculously don't die there, lock them in a room full of huge robots who can easily smash them without any safety training

Why wasn't Xavier arrested for reckless child endangerment? how is he still allowed to operate a school? why is he sold to us as a hero when he clearly brainwashes emotionally confused teenagers and trains them as his child soldiers?

this was actually my worst rated blockbuster of the year until i saw ghostbusters.

it somehow manages to be worse than bvs mostly because it doesn't even know what's it going for while simultaneously aspiring to be nothing new, and epic. almost everything in this piece of garbage falls between laughably bad and just fucking terrible.

i fucking hated this movie.

too much JLAW

not only that but she just walked around as literally herself for 90% of the film

>Dumping the entire lore to revolve around a C List character because an A list actress is attached to it the movie

What the fuck did you expect?

Mystique isn't a C-list character, but her character going from a sadistic mutant terrorist femme fatale to mutant savior definitely modeled around Jlaw .

So how are Xavier and Erik all good at the end despite Erik having killed a couple hundred million if not a billion people?

It was all Apocalypse's fault for manipulating Erik at his lowest point.

She presents herself as a saviour in X-Men evolution, so it's not like it's totally out of line, but this movie is certainly forgetting that that is just a facade

>even by Marvel standards

Bait.

As long as Xavier still sees good in him, he'll always forgive him

The script / dialogue was just fucking atrocious, so much cringe worthy shit and over explaining things like the audience was LITERALLY mentally handicapped.

And then the CGI looked so ass as if it were incomplete.

>he'll always forgive him

Agreed OP. i went to the cinema to see it, having seen no other xmen movies, found it bad enough to walk out, and then saw a huge number of blatant shills on Sup Forums saying it was good.

At times it didnt even feel like a made for tv movie, more like the pilot of some saved by the bell (but lower quality of course) sitcom

I thought it was really fucking good Tbh

Apocalypse > BvS >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Civil Airport

>all the mutants in the world with ridiculously powerful gifts
>Apocalypse chooses a dude with wings

>Apocalypse possesses superhuman strength that he can further increase by drawing upon outside energy sources; Apocalypse was shown to be strong enough to physically restrain the Hulk, while the Hulk was separated from Banner and explicitly lacked the ability to increase his strength with his rage, but also had a stronger base level. Hence, Apocalypse is above the "class 100" limit.
Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

>Mystique
>C-list

It's only a matter of time till the films go down the Deadly Genesis route, user.

Anyone else think Olivia Munn was really fucking good considering she's not even a proper actress? And that fucking suit she wore, hnnnnngggg

>over explaining things like the audience was LITERALLY mentally handicapped.
Well, Fox *is* a Murdoch property . . .

>entire city gets destroyed
>no screams
>no emotional reactions

But she was awful even though she had so little to do.

>And then the CGI looked so ass as if it were incomplete.
Marvel Heroes has better graphics than this.

She certainly looked better than Flabbo and Salsa, barely had any lines and her one fight was against blue wolfboy.

She did nothing. Being stonefaced throughout the entire movie is not acting.

No she was fucking shit. Like cheap TV movie shit. Your boner is confusing you.

What the fuck was with Sansa's accent? Why didn't they cast a better actress?

>mutants idolise mystique
BRAVO LAWRENCE
Is she the worst thing to ever happen to X-Men?

The X-Factor comic in which Angel became Archangel was a product of the grimdark grimdarkness of the 1980s,* when writers believed that the only way to make Warren Worthington at all interesting was to inject some grimdark into him.

* Not to be confused with the XTREME grimdark of the 1990s.

>Being stonefaced throughout
This is ninjafied comics Psylocke in a nutshell.

because she would have been relatively cheap, and she's recognisable to the huge GOT audience.

marketing decision

>Is she the worst thing to ever happen to X-Men?
You're thinking of Grant Morrison.

But user, the kids loved this movie, surely that's what the Xmen needs.

I wonder what the next teen-fad will be.

I honestly didn't think it was as bad as you people say. Sure the CGI is terrible and there's plenty of problems plot-wise but I just really like seeing McAvoy and Fassbender play these characters

I thought it was better than DoFP. The theatrical release, anyway.

Even Fass didn't seem like he gave a shit.

That scene where his wife and daughter are killed was cringey as fuck, but I guess you blame the script for that.

>MUH BABIES
>DON'T STOP ME FROM KILLING THESE MEN (thanks for telling us what he was going to do script I really wasn't sure xddd)

If this takes place in the 8s how does it even fit into the timeline anymore?

>You're thinking of Grant Morrison.

Chuck Austen is worse.

*80s

fuck you i liked it, and it's fox

I wouldn't worry about the timeline anymore since Fox doesn't really give a shit.

Or to put it in Sup Forums terms:

"Did I ever tell you about the time Magneto was so upset about his wife and daughter's death that he literally half-destroyed the Earth and killed millions if not billions of people? He's still a good friend."

>fass apparently told his wife who he was 'the first day he met her'
it was shit m8

>Apocalypse being some creepy manlet who talks like a sex offender

kek

>Magneto, Storm and Psylocke kill all those people
>get to walk away without consequences

how is a 90s cartoon better written than a 200 million dollar movie?

>i've had a pretty mediocre life
>better team up with mustache twirling villain who plans to destroy all civilization

>magneto kills a million people
>apocalypse makes a pyramid
>apocalypse is the bad guy

He also gave us a nuke-free world.

Apocalypse has done more for world peace than any other mutant.

>He also gave us a nuke-free world.

Except it's said that everyone's started rebuilding their arsenals all over again.

That's not his fault.

What I'm saying it was pointless.

Even though the plot, script and CGI were absolutely horrendous, I still found myself enjoying it for some reason. I think this with every new X-Men film, but they seriously fucked up by not having Fassbender play Magneto in his own solo film hunting down Nazis. I also would have loved some films of Xavier and Magneto being bros in the 60's and 70's before Magneto starts doing shit and Charles just forgives him for it at the end.
Overall, 5.5-6/10

Why did Apocalypse want to destroy the world? I can't remember if it was explained.

He didn't want to destroy the world, just rule it.

I liked how many people fucking died in this movie

To be honest I feel like Fassbender gave it too much.

I can't fault for him for trying but Jennifer Lawrence got away with doing fuck all.

>Mystique
>has the power to look like anyone she wants to
>actually chooses to look like Jennifer Lawrence

Wew lad

It was made by Fox you retard. It's completely different from Marvel movies and even different from the last few X-Men movies because Bryan Singer doesn't know how to direct women but he tried to add women for diversity points and because there are some important women in the X-Men canon.
It's not as bad as X3 but it's not as good as any of the other X-Men movies, which typically manage to ditch a lot of the gay capeshit tropes.

I love how Magneto got away with killing probably millions due to the magnetic pole fuckery he did and just got away with it all at the end.

Mind control, obviously. If you read the comics he actually becomes pretty insanely militant.

How is Apocalypse different from the Marvel capeshit? This movie had more comic book schlock than Civil War

>sure you don't wanna stay here buddy?
>you're psychic Charles, you can make me do anything
>haha, get out of here you mass murdering rascal

>it's not as good as any of the other X-Men movies, which typically manage to ditch a lot of the gay capeshit tropes
Nice reading comprehension retard. I sad they typically manage to avoid being full capeshit, but Apocalypse was shit (because it didn't). I know I didn't say it explicitly, but if you really can't infer from me saying that the other X-Men movies avoid a negative characteristic, then in the same sentence say that the newest one is bad, you need to go back to your middle school English class.

It was hilarious to see him chilling in the X mansion at the end with everyone, just going on his way on good terms. Zero guilt, zero repercussions, and no consequences. The world just miraculously recovered from an event more deadly than all the wars throughout history combined and something more devastating than probably all natural disasters in recent history combined.

How did the series go so bad after the First Class reboot? First Class and DoFP were pretty good.

>I sad they typically manage to avoid being full capeshit
X3, the 2 Wolverine movies, Apocalypse

That's half the X-Men movies

Civil War > Deadpool > Apocalypse > BvS > Suicide Squad

They were all various degrees of bad though. Capeshit was embarassing this year, even more than usual.

Civil War and Deadpool were very good, and I have high hopes for Doctor Strange, it's sounding neat.

Fuck you, X3 was better than any of the X movies that came out after, except The Woverine and Deadpool.

I thought the movie was ok but yeah that was straight up fucking retarded.

jesus christ is SS even worse than BVS? goddamn

No.

BvS=DP>CW>>SS>>>Apopo

SS is decent. It's not a good adaptation and felt like a music video at times, but it isn't offensively bad or retarded.

"Very good" is a bit much in my opinion. Civil War had some good parts, I liked the last fight scene because they didn't go full retard with exploding hellicariers and robot aliens out of the sky and they avoided the cliche of "heroes fight eachother, but they team up at the end to kill the bad guy". However, it suffered from having too many characters and plotlines going on, Spider-Man was completely redundant to the story and Cap was sidelined in his own movie while Iron Man got all the emotional parts. In hindsight, it should've been a complete disaster, so I guess being mediocre is an achievement. Winter Soldier was miles better than Civil War.

With Deadpool, I also appreciate that they tried to do something different, but it also suffered from a by the numbers plotline and 90% cringeworthy jokes that tried too hard to be edgy. I'd also say it was mediocre. I do think Doctor Strange sounds great and the trailers were amazing, hopefully it won't disappoint me.

>The Wolverine
>Capeshit
Are you serious?
70% of the movie was some guy with knives fighting Yakuza in Japan.
Also way to move the goalposts in your argument you mongoloid.

Yes, fighting a bunch of Yakuza with knifes is the hallmark of serious kino.
No schlock there.

but it isn't offensively bad or retarded.
>WHITE PEOPLE THAT SHIT!
>TRIANGLE, BITCH!

kys

Everything isn't a serious film or capeshit you fucking dipshit. A gangster action flick isn't automatically using capeshit tropes (which is what you tried to say) because it suits your argument.
So let's review:
1) I said X-Men movies typically avoid capeshit tropes but Apocalypse is one of the weakest X-Men movies with the implication that it relies on capeshit tropes. You responded that Apcalypse has capeshit tropes (no shit).
2) I agreed and said that Apocalypse having those tropes is what makes it weaker than other X-Men movies that don't. You said X3, Apocalypse and both Wolverines are capeshit.
I respond with The Wolverine not relying on capeshit tropes and you respond by saying it's schlock.
Why not just admit you're wrong instead of continually trying to change the discussion to fit your flawed reasoning? What do you have to gain?

Unfortunately yes, SS was ever worse in my opinion.

>90% of the cast was wasted
>schizophrenic editing, whoever edited this movie should be shot
>godawful soundtrack, I swear they had about 6 songs in the span of 10 minutes in the beginning
>laughable villain, horrible CGI and the worst final battle I've seen in a capeshit movie in a long time
>shit action/fight scenes, you could barely see anything most of the time
>unfunny jokes

With BvS you had at least some good action scenes (like the Batman saving Martha from goons scene) and some good visuals, but SS had nothing redeemable. Will Smith was pretty good (he didn't play Deadshot though, just Will Smith), Harley was as annoying as expected (I guess Robbie did a good job) and the rest of the cast had like 10 minutes of screentime. This movie was the definition of a wasted opportunity, especially since the Ostrander source material is so good.

Captain America is a stoic character by nature, and his storyline was a slow burn through all of his movies while Stark's required a set-up and payoff in "Civil War" alone. I though it was generally evenly split, though I'll concede Stark hijacked the narrative in the third act, when he became the POV character.

Someone explain to me, how Cyclops, Jean, and 'crawler made it out of the helicopter, that was running those green anti mutant neons without being noticed?

They totally ommited that scene.

>I though it was generally evenly split
And that's the problem. It shouldn't be called Captain America: Civil War when Iron Man has the same amount of screentime as Cap and other Avengers also get significant roles.

Call it "Marvel's Civil War" or "Avengers: Civil War". No matter how you look at it, it was not a proper solo Captain America movie.