Adam Wingard posted couple little updates on his Death Note movie yesterday during his Reddit ama (which I was a little...

Adam Wingard posted couple little updates on his Death Note movie yesterday during his Reddit ama (which I was a little surprised by since he never talks about his movies before they're done) so I thought I'd share em here

>I think Anime are due for the same treatment that comics got when Nolan did Batman. I think the key is straying away from overt Anime style like Speed Racer and Dragon Ball and instead try to ground the stories in more relatable ways. With Death Note I tried to give it a gritty lived in look. With that said DEATH NOTE is going to be my most insane movie yet. It makes the Guest look conventional.

on what kinda score the movie will have

>Electronic driven but different than THE GUEST.

script
>t loosely follows the events of the first five volumes or so. Lots of departure but the spirit is there. Its its own beast. If I had to compare it to one of my other films it would maybe resemble The Guest.

inb4 Sup Forums triggered because L is played by a black guy

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9dfQVsgO16Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Honestly, I think it's best it doesn't go for the anime style.

Animation and film are two different mediums, and what looks stylish in one looks retarded in the other.

I hope Misa remains as bubbly nuts.

chill dude, critics will tell you what you like

I thought we were meant to discuss television and film here

Speed Racer is a terrible movie I have no idea why so many people like it. literally made me throw up.

Why do people pretend this guy is a good director?

Another hack want to make his own movie, while studio gave him a job of making manga adaptation.

They never learn.

He is a good director. Not great but good. His films are 6-7/10 for me.

why you pretend this guys isn't a good director?

I'm more excited for the new Japanese Death Note movie
also, there's suppose to be a 3 episode miniseries on Hulu Japan that bridges the 10 year gap starting the 16th.

>excited
>about japanese movie
Sorry, but japanese movies total shit.
Like bad at everything.

Stop trying to replace my memories of huwaito ellu & raito

>Lots of departure but the spirit is there.
Trainwrack incoming

Because it's utterly unique. I'd never say it's close to being outright good, but I'd recommend it since nothing else is like it sans the anime and F-Zero/Wipeout video games.

I don't give a shit about your opinion, so there's nothing to be sorry about

Watching Jewwood fumble with Japanese properties they don't understand is hilarious.

The Guest is objectively pure kino

Sounds good cause DN has a good premise but it goes to shit after L dies

So, animeshit will be the next big thing?
Will they make the transformation from capeshit to animeshit by making a One Punch Man movie?

I'm not sure

>Gritty
>Departure from the anime.
Suddenly L being black both makes some sense and doesn't sound like the worst part of this movie. I'm going to try watching this with no expectations so I can't be disappointed.

Whats bad about Death Note being gritty, would you prefer a quipfest. The show is literally about a serial killer.

I fucking love Wingard. The Guest is one of my favorite movies so this all sounds great.

Sounds like he shares my thoughts on adaptations too. It's about the spirit of it and finding a new way to represent it. I read the manga and I liked it a lot. If I wanted that again I'd just read it again. I have no interest in the anime or the Japanese movies because there doesn't seem to be a point if I have the manga. This gives me a reason to be interested.

I've really enjoyed his movies and loved The Guest. I think this will be good

>ground the stories
>gritty
stopped reading there

I just want a live action Jojo

>not using some of the amazing original scores
wew lad, sounds like they're making it electronic just for the millenials dubstep shit

The words "dark" and "gritty" are so overused now regarding to movies holy shit

L being black is largely irrelevant to his character.
he's a super genius orphan

>Japanese movies because there doesn't seem to be a point if I have the manga
the japanese films do their own thing, they deviate from the manga
the anime and the anime films are just straight adaptations though yeah

Except that when you are remaking an anime story, which has anime features that are totally inappropriate for movies. Basically he's saying that he wants to take the very basic idea of death note and turn it into something else. Which is dumb. Might as well do something completely original without limiting yourself by something you admit doesn't even belong in your preferred medium.

NONNONONONNONONNOO DONT TOUCH MY ANIME KEEP MAKING CAPESHIT LEAVE ANIME OUT OF THIS

If you look at japanese adaptations of anime, their live action is just as cartoony as the cartoons themselves. It makes the movie sort of wacky fanservice but still good and watchable for what it is. I have no idea why the west has to take everything so seriously -- death note is a fucking comic book. Not a deep political allegory or whatever this will end up being

No, we just shitpost about critics opinions instead of creating our own

>Caring about normalfag anime like Death Note and GitS

Real "Otaku" a.k.a. perverts' anime is safe forever from Hollywood user.

youtube.com/watch?v=9dfQVsgO16Y

No, anime is simply retarded.

Ones made before the 90s are good.

I think the last really good one I saw was Tampopo, and it's from 1985.

>my most insane movie yet

Blue is the Warmest Color was based on a manga-like French comics. Some J-Dramas were close in tone with your pervert animes (there was one about a guy who ejaculated perls, and efter the seventh one he dies. The pilot as him cumming on his best female friend's face by accident. Pretty cool tv series with a good mix of drama and comedy)

We're very close to getting a sexy american version of a sexy anime.

Holy fuck this is the hack helming Death Note? And he's butchering I Saw the Devil too?

>HUR DUR IT HAS "DEATH" IN THE TITLE AND HE MAKES SLASHY SHIT HE'S PERFECT!

He's a good director with a personal style. I'll take that over the generic committee-generated Hollywood drivel any day.

Uh oh

I just want to see them adapt Battle Tendency to see how Hollywood handles a heroic Nazi

We have to get Phantom Blood first senpai

I'm guessing he really would rather do something original, all else equal, but the money is in established properties. Sure, it's possible to do original movies like The Guest, but the studio won't be as happy, won't give you as much leeway, and might not pay as much.

Directors also like success and fame so they might choose to do an established property since it has a greater chance of bringing them those.

Finally, he might have a fondness for the series from having seen it or read it. Not sure about that though, could just be the script was shoved down his throat.

I'll take a filmmaker that has previously been responsible for a watchable move over both of them.

The Guest, You're Next and A Horrible Way to Die are good. even Pop Skull which is like his second movie made with no money is watchable and has really cool style.

I hope nigger dies in first half

Enjoy Hispanic Mello and Samoan Near.

>Hollywood chooses clean and stylized anime to adapt
>"People will think its too "anime" if its not dark and gritty
>make everything look like shit

>One Punch Man movie
Pls no. Watched anime recently and liked it.

thank god he isn't going for the anime style, it simply doesn't translate well in live-action. not even gooks made decent anime style live-action movies. pic related, a trainwreck

This
There's no point in adapting something if you keep it identical to the original unless you're just trying to reach a new audience

Like I don't read manga, so the anime was great. But I don't get why manga readers would bother with anime at all. With this film, it's obvious that the majority of the audience will be fans of the original. So if they make it the same, but shitty since you can't tell that whole story well in 2 hours, then it would pointless and hated. But it sounds like this will offer something new

>Anime and manga becoming the next Capeshit
I fucking hope not, I guess this is how Sup Forumsmrades felt when normalfags started appropriating their hobbie just because it was the trendy thing to do.

Hey, it's another, "THIS WHITE GUY IS TOTALLY ASIAN" movie.

Also:
>The Big Bang Theory continues on for another decade by switching cast to Stuart and everyone in the comic shop
>All make anime and manga references instead of American comic book references
>I'm such a nerd XD
>Now becomes, I'm such a weeb XD

I don't want to live in a future like that

it's an american adaptation that takes place in america

So it's a Netflix movie that literally panders to reddit.
That's almost worse than the blackwashing of L.

It will be shit, it's not even worth considering.

This and the Ghost in the Shell flop, will hopefully kill the anime adaptions once and for all.

Good. I don't want normalfags taking and ruining another hobby I like.

So the black guy is L? I mean, they want me to suspend belief but it ain't happening with a black genius.

I bet you're fun at parties

Parties are packed with people who believe in diversity, a woman's right to vote, and anti-racism. Why would I be there?

>Why would I be there?
Yeah I figured. Your legs would probaly collapse under your own weight when dancing :(

>thinks covering his mouth won't let Kira kill him

A genius alright.

>ad hominem
Redditfag spotted

>Lots of departure but the spirit is there. Its its own beast.
So like the other live action movies, nice.

>I think Anime are due for the same treatment that comics got
Why do Americans have to steal shit from other countries?

You're the one who's reddit here

But L is still a black man, therefore adaptation is shit.

1 thing to do and you did it wrong, bravo.

Most people who go out into the outside world and talk to people go to parties.
If you find you're not engaging with other people outside of your family, perhaps you should ask what right you have to comment on society as it's clearly not your thing
(like don't like football so i don't argue about what changes need to be made to improve it, I just don't watch it)

Won't happen, they'll want to use it as an excuse to implement PC and SJW culture into those mediums but it'll never take off considering it's mostly women who write the really lewd stuff and secretly control things behind the surface even though it appears to a male dominated country.

>Samoan Near
>mfw imagining Light confronted by a 400lb Pacific Islander

What does that have to do with blacks being the dumbest members of society?

I can't even imagine the marketing for this movie.... It will be the final fantasy movie all over again.

A bunch of weebs might get excited, but literally no one else will care.

Death Note is a load of bullocks anyway. Episode 7 is one of the greatest episodes in television history, the rest is almost unwatchable, especially during the later episodes.

CGI Ryuk and Ryuk in general was a mistake. The Death God should've just been played by Willem Dafoe. No wacky design, no costume, just Dafoe in a suit or something.

>1 thing to do and you did it wrong

I didn't realize the story stopped being about magic killing books

>A bunch of weebs might get excited, but literally no one else will care.

No self-respect weeb will watch this. There is no kawaii Asians here.

>just Dafoe in a suit or something
This meme of making supernatural villains just white guys in suits needs to end

Episode seven is the tennis match, right?

>Electronic driven
I TAKE THE CHIP
AND
>B-B-B-B-B-B-BONFIRE
EAT IT!

Japan could never make a good live-action Death Note movie no matter how many times they try, may as well let Americans give it the next shot.

And the best option is for Wingard to go his own direction with the source material. Would you seriously want a straight adaption of the anime? You can literally just watch the fucking anime for that.

I don't understand why people are so obsessed with fidelity to the source material. The exciting part is seeing what someone else can do with the concepts and character and play around with them.

Doesn't have to be a white guy, I just went with who was cast as the VA.

But it makes sense since white men in suits are the evil in the world, apparently
And Wingard is probably dumb enough to think Ryuk is evil

It's the episode where Light walks with the detective's fiancée talking about Kira, while he tries to learn her name.

Because most of the time, changes to the source material ends up being shit. If the story is good, it's good for a reason.

I hope it ends with L getting outwitted by Kira.

Netflix are distributing. Normalfags love Netflix and Death Note is one of those few gook cartoons some of them will have heard about or seen.

they should just re-use tracks from based hideki taniuchi

It will end with L fucking Misa.

Oh, it's on Netflix. I wouldn't mind watching it (to make fun of it) then. No way would I pay full ticket price for it.

Death Note's story isn't good however. Not that it means this TV adaptation may do any better.

Yes, Mr. Contrarian. Anything anybody has ever liked isn't good.

Ryuk > L > Light > Jap investigators > Misa > Near/Mello

The new American death note will be all about social justice. Just so you all know.

Why do I need a "right" or someone's okay to comment on anything? That's right, I fucking don't you commie.

>Ryuk

Has his character designs been shown?

is that the movie were L is black?

No, this is the HBO series