So I live in a country where free speech isn't really a thing

So I live in a country where free speech isn't really a thing.
People have been sued over tweets.
I want to be able to speak my mind on Twitter but I don't wanna pay fines or get jail time.
How can I hide my IP (or whatever is it I need to hide)

use TOR?

Hide in here

or do that yes

Is it legal? If in any case I get sued, wouldn't it be worse, like obstruction of Justice or something like that?

so, you're spanish?

use a VPN (you can download a VPN app free on the app store or windows store if ur on pc, or pay for a premium one)

nope, downloading it is legal but might look suspicious if they see your downloads, but they cant see anything you do so its not a problem

What's better a VPN or Tor?
Any recommendations for a free vpn?

Hexatech VPN is a good free VPN on the app store

Vpn *and* tor. Free vpn is useless, they sell your info to make money, so if you're worried about anonymity don't use a free vpn.

I wouldn't download anything, it's just to tweet safely really.
Alright, thanks

I will help you.. send me your facebook login and password

no you have to download tor -_-

VPN means virtual private network. you connect to it, and all the things you do online will look like they’re from the VPN’s IP, instead of yours which makes you hard to trace. TOR is an onion browser, meaning it has layers of encryption and on each layer, it decrypts just enough to know where to send the connection next, and it does this some times (i think its called server hopping or something) which once again, makes you hard to trace.
i might be a bit wrong but basically thats what these things are. you could use both if you dont know what to pick, lol

After having a vpn and while using Tor, I would only use it for tweeting.
As long as they don't sell me out to the cops lol

Thanks for the info

so apart from that, how is Germany these days?

Getthelube.com

I'm sorry you live in a fascist hellhole

So, you live in the USA?

If you are serious about tweeting about shit that your government won't like, then don't take any chances. Make sure nothing the government have the ability to see leads back to you. Tor is good, but it might be compromised. Alot of effort went in to trying to crack it when they where trying to take down DPR and the silk road. If you want to be totally safe then you should take the following things:

-Buy a clean new laptop and install serious encryption software. (As you are doing the twitter thing you can get away with buying a cheap android phone)

Now you have a secure unit. This is the unit you do all of the things that has anything to do with what your government dislikes. That means that you create and manage your twitter account on that laptop alone. Use a one time email service to create the account. Make absolutely sure what the government can get their hands on are clean.

-Install a reliable VPN

The best ones cost money, and you can buy it safely. If it ever goes to court your buying a VPN does not prove anything.

-Install Tor

You can do some research on how it works to get an idea of how safe it is.

-Search your mind for any forum posts discussing your desire to subvert the government twitter style.

Seriously, make sure nothing you have done on a insecure unit can lead the government to think you are the guilty one.

Now you have pc you can take to public places and post on twitter without being tracked down by big brother. Use public wifi at coffee shops, libraries ETC. This is important for a good reason. If the government ever gets far enough to see the exact IP the tweets are coming from (If they break the VPN) they don't get you identity immediately. They might not get it at all if you use many different wifi points.

Side note: It is important that you keep updating your own twitter. It looks bad if you name ever comes up in the investigation and they see you stopped tweeting around the time you adopted your alter ego.

Good luck

Thanks senpai

You don't get jailed in USA for tweets. There's people talking about white genocide and presidential assassinations with limited issues.

OP probably from UK. Good luck to him. I'd rather live in an ACTUAL fascist state than in a pseudoliberal hoax.

use tunnelbear VPN and get 500mb of free data every month, and tweet for an extra 1gb. it's available on Android, iOS, Windows and as a chrome extension. try tunnelbear VPN in the link in the description.